As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Those of us who are about to [Job Thread] salute you, bro!

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    This guy would not accept any of that and would not stop lecturing me on how this is all a sham and I'm just in this for commission no customer service what's your name going to report this to a manager call him now.

I hate shitheads like this; they take an already ruined day and try to make your life hell because they need to take it out on someone.

Fuck that guy.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    He was kinda right, it's terrible to be in a foreign country, spend $200 on something for your family and find out the main service can't help you anymore you gotta use a different system you gotta pay for just to get home.

A revenue inspector walked by and helped me out to convince him that we are not trying to pull a fast one. He was quite a bit more aggressive than the customer and didn't give him time to start a lecture until the customer got the message. Later during clock out we talked about the situation a little.

"Yeah, I see that from time to time. Customer buys our higher end ticket and uses any excuse to get more free stuff. That's what he was trying to get from you, so good job holding on there. I gave him my name but not yours, so management won't get trigger happy on you for this."

Dude is pretty good at his job making sure we do ours.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke, the guy who had your back isn't a manager, he's a leader.

Few and far between.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    There is a lot of shit I will put up with.

Like, a lot.

One thing I cannot stand though is wet socks.

• Options
    Duke, the guy who had your back isn't a manager, he's a leader.

Few and far between.

He wasn't even a manager. He's the guy that sneaks around town checking on ticket sellers to make sure they are selling tickets and not loafing around. His official job is finding out who isn't pulling their weight.

Turns out he often gives advice to people to help them out, which isn't part of his job.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    One class to go and then closing ceremony for the fall break! I am excite! Got a three day weekend, and then fall break.

Which is... 2 days long. Still, 5 days in a row of now classes, will be nice for the mental reset.

And then opening ceremony.

Japan loves its ceremonies, and opening and a closing ceremony for a 2 day break, I love it. :)

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Friday. 4pm.

A bug is lodged in my queue. Production defect.

Okay, let's look at this... wait, someone's coming over from the analyst desks... what's going...

Oh. Emergency defect. Hoping to release Tuesday.

I have to find the bug, fix it, prep a release, get it tested and ready for prod in a little more than 1 working day.

Yeah, you have a nice weekend, too.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    What are the odds that this defect was noticed and ignored way earlier in some round of QA testing?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    I'm slowly starting to dislike our supplier. A customer wanted a specific phone, so I go check the suppliers page. Out of stock, but more will be in tomorrow, I'll give you a call when they arrive. Might take a few days.
    Next day check the supplier again. Turns out they're coming in tomorrow. Oh, maybe I just looked at the dates wrong. Nope. Next day, still tomorrow. This goes on for a few weeks and they finally arrive in the suppliers warehouse, around 6AM.
    Those fuckers didn't send the phone yet though, nope. Gonna have to call them and ask what the fuck is up with that.

Also their RMA service is kinda weird, what with it only being manned from 11:00-14:00. Buddys GPU somehow got fried and hes anxious as fuck to get it back but I can't get an update on what the status is :)

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Got a paper cut putting together binders today. Time to go on disability.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Got an e-mail response from the job I applied for recently inviting me to do an online calculating and checking test (the job is in a bank). So yay, I guess my application was sufficient to convince them I meet the basic criteria of being a human who breathes.

If I can prove I am capable of basic maths I will hopefully get an interview.

God, I hope I'm still capable of basic maths.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    Got an e-mail response from the job I applied for recently inviting me to do an online calculating and checking test (the job is in a bank). So yay, I guess my application was sufficient to convince them I meet the basic criteria of being a human who breathes.

If I can prove I am capable of basic maths I will hopefully get an interview.

God, I hope I'm still capable of basic maths.

1+1=11

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    1+1= a window

broken image link
  • Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    Got a paper cut putting together binders today. Time to go on disability.

Stubbed my toe this morning, gotta take the day off.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I wish somebody would call me about a job. Anybody, to be honest. I really need to get back to work.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I helped out an end-user who contacted us over Facebook because one of our idiot customers shipped a product that was not designed to ship via UPS, via UPS.

So he the guy got it, the handle was all fucked up.

Was able to get detailed info, serial number, address, etc, then passed it all along to our warranty department. Our frames have a lifetime warranty, so he had a replacement handle out the following day.

Guy (and apparently his family) all posted on our FB about how 'this is the way customer service is supposed to work, thank you so much, etc'

8-)

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I wish somebody would call me about a job. Anybody, to be honest. I really need to get back to work.

@godmode

What's your field/location?

• Options
    Windows Systems Administration, but I've even been applying to goddamn Help Desk positions all around hoping to hear back from someone. I'm in the Northern Virginia area, and will travel as far as DC if necessary.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Windows Systems Administration, but I've even been applying to goddamn Help Desk positions all around hoping to hear back from someone. I'm in the Northern Virginia area, and will travel as far as DC if necessary.

Cool. Have you put your resume on Dice yet? Also, do you have any clearance?

• Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    So an interesting work opportunity has come up. The service I work for is looking to add "Community Paramedics" to our service. This is a way to lower our call volume for what we call 'non-acute requests for service" (I have a cold/stubbed my toe/I just want to talk) as well as educating patients on their chronic diseases, which will help decrease our calls for things like acute hypoglycemia. I let it be known I was interested in this. It will mean a crapton more (valuable) training and a LOT of interfacing with the public. Effectively I will be acting as my physician medical director to prescribe antibiotics for bronchitis, educate patients, etc.

Honestly this is the way paramedicine is going. In the next 10 - 15 years we will see home health nurses reduced/going away. Paramedics are allowed to perform more procedures and administer more medications than nurses are - all independently.

• Options
    Yes, and yes: Secret (though that barely counts for much anymore: everyone wants TS or TS/SCI/Poly). Resume is on Indeed too.

What makes the whole situation worse is that there's a position I really want being dangled just out of reach by a recruiter, and I'm being told it's because the government shutdown is slowing the application process. I'm just so sick of sitting home and going through this bullshit every day and feeling like my applications are usually getting discarded without even being looked at.

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    It was only a matter of time before I was recalled to my company's IT department.

We have an all-hands meeting once or twice a month and it involves a lot of AV stuff to ship the meeting to our remote locations. Before I left the team, three of us ran the "command center" behind the scenes and the computer terminal at the front of the meeting room. We had a great system and could prep for the meeting in under an hour and we were able to hold together a system that was already being held together with bailing wire and gum. My manager had approval to backfill my position when I left the team, so the presumption has always been that the new person would take over what I did.

Well, as it turns out, I kicked so much butt at my job that my manager and teammates haven't been able to find a candidate that comes close to measuring up to what I did. Add in the hiring freeze shortly after I left and you have an IT team down a person when they really can't afford to be down a person.

Of course, what would happen this week two days before the all-hands meeting? One of the remaining guys has to go to the hospital to have an emergency appendectomy. Cut to the IT manager calling me Wednesday afternoon and begging me to do her a favor and fill in for him because there's literally no one else in the company who knows how to run the all-hands meeting outside of the three of us. I have a good relationship with her so I had no problem helping out - I mean, she hired me knowing full well that I was going to look for lawyer jobs AND she helped me transfer to this company's legal department, so of course I'm going to help.

So now I'm on loan from legal to be an IT guy again for the morning. Exciting stuff.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    mully wrote: »
    i might get to go to the sharepoint conference :D

Danbooru.jpg

Yeah.... that looks great.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Today I was able to share with my coworkers the greatest gift of the workday: Cake.

Because tomorrow is my birthday, one of the ladies I work with (the one who remembers my birthday only because it is so close to hers) decided that I MUST have cake, and thus had me ambushed at 8:30 in the morning with a massive three layer red velvet and strawberry behemoth, surrounded by red velvet cupcake supplicants. It was a beautiful cake. And looking into the envious eyes of those whose desks are near mine as my boss suggested my husband would enjoy it despite her hungry gaze, I did the only thing I could think of to do with a cake: I declared cake must me shared.

Despite decinding on it like vultures, a few coworkers said they felt a little bad that they were taking my cake away from me. It was only after insisting that I wanted to share it that they took their slices away to enjoy. And it was true, I derived far more enjoyment from seeing how happy everyone was to have a slice of cake that I would have eating the whole cake alone.

The cake was gone in under 30 minutes, and I got to brighten everyones morning. It is a good day.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So I just got off the phone with the temp agency!

Reminder for those who haven't been following: There's a bunch of open positions at the company I'm working for, and a bunch of us applied, and I've been more or less just waiting to hear back one way or another, sooner or later.

They decided to terminate my contract effective immediately!

:(

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    @Tox what?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Yep, the recruiter called and said they've decided to cancel my contract, effectively immediately, and completely without explanation.

I'm not even to go back to get my stuff, the temp agency will send someone to clean out my cube and then meet with me to get my badge and computer and stuff.

Dude was like, "I just want you to know this came as a surprise to us as well, and I don't know why they decided to go this direction."

• Options
    woo barfing at work

home now

fun fact I learned: vicodin makes you (me) nauseous

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Did you eat beforehand?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    As a former payroll temp ...

Fuck those assholes.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    just got my mandatory flu shot. it's bullshit I ain't get no lollipop

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    wooo barfing at work
    Did you eat beforehand?

Yeah, had some applesauce

• Options
    So that's three months of me busting my ass for nothing.

Oh well.

Taking my suit to the cleaners today, gonna call the temp agency back this afternoon, try to get a hold of my "handler" and start looking at other places to start setting up interviews for.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Hangover. Allergies.

No like loud noises.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    Finally got to the part where they tell me the pay for a thing.

800€/month + commissions (Only on services) after a 6 months intern program.

Fuck. You. I'd get 100€ less on unemployment, and with the responsibilities I'd have I wouldn't have a chance to sell any fucking services anyway.

Gonna send a counter-offer that basically says "at least pay minimum wage you piece of shit" only perhaps in other words. Then again, perhaps not.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Migraine headaches.

Caffeine actually does cure migraine headaches for some people. It's worked for me a couple times.

Alternatively, caffeine causes migraines in some people, so...

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhh

Four more hours

I just want it to end

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Got a call today from the CBP recruiter's office in regards to the voicemail message I left last week. As I expected, the people there were on furlough, though they were only called in today to work until 1 pm until they had to resume furlough again.

They told me that while I was still scheduled for employment orientation on November, the people who would assign the date for my PF2 test (which I need to pass to take the orientation) is also on furlough. I have to wait and see when they are available again to contact me.

In other words, I shouldn't stick to any dates at this point considering the current government situation, and I'll be very surprised if I'll take part in any of the next steps this year,

Which would be a huge relief as it gives me more time to be situated with my new job. Though I'm still left with very little work to do as shit is slowly being processed (got my ID number and a permanent key card not two days ago), I'm making new contacts within the building and constantly see new positions opening up on the employee website.

It's now becoming a hope that I get offered a position that pays comparatively to CBP so I no longer need to accept that job. I've already got my foot inside here, and I'm already seeing different opportunities where I can climb higher.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Went in to the studio to work the board.

Morning show was still going on, got a chance to shoot the shit with people for a bit... So that was fun.

Just as I'm settling in to do my shift, another air talent comes in to pre-record all his stuff, which takes a couple hours. So he offered to do the board duty since he was going to be there anyway.

I got sent home, but still get to clock two of the three hours I would have gotten.

Yay!

(Plus I also get to train with my bosses replacement when he retires on Monday. So that's a great opportunity to buck for some added responsibility/something.)

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Mysst wrote: »
    just got my mandatory flu shot. it's bullshit I ain't get no lollipop

Last after I got my flu shot and when home, I mentioned to my wife how my arm was sore because of the shot.

So she punched me there.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.