As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    the heating in my building is so very old. We have a dial, from 1-8, that only loosely translates to less hot- more hot. It's connected to the building's heating system and makes very loud banging and clanging noises randomly. It gets randomly hot and cold, and the dial does very little.
    I'm just happy that we're getting new windows soon in the building. The current ones are so drafty.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Good Lord. I could get a house on 40 acres with 700 grand.

Probably more actually.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    speaking of australian house prices, my fiance and i just got pre-approval for an extension of our loan to up to a million dollars so we can get a house and also keep our apartment

with around a $700,000 budget, we'll be ecstatic to get something like a townhouse with two bedrooms in sydney

The bank offered Vivienne and I even more than that.

We were all, nnnnnnoooooooo......

(How's your teaching thing going jezz?)

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Probably more actually.

You could easily do that here also.

It's playing the game, how close do you want to live near work.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Blake T wrote: »
    speaking of australian house prices, my fiance and i just got pre-approval for an extension of our loan to up to a million dollars so we can get a house and also keep our apartment

with around a $700,000 budget, we'll be ecstatic to get something like a townhouse with two bedrooms in sydney

The bank offered Vivienne and I even more than that.

We were all, nnnnnnoooooooo......

(How's your teaching thing going jezz?)

i love it, and have been getting around 4 days a week of work right in the city, but it's only casual still at this stage - as soon as the holidays roll around i'm going to be back to having no money. right now it's been consistent enough to not worry too much, but i'm going to have to really ramp up my permanent work search soon. i've been a little finicky, even if i am technically on the recruitment program's list for much of NSW.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular

Probably more actually.

You could easily do that here also.

It's playing the game, how close do you want to live near work.

Do you want to swear fealty to the insect lords.

It's not -cheap- here, but it's certainly better than that. Our 1950sqft new built home is costing us about 500K.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    example of some of the areas / sorts of places we're looking into:

marrickville: inner-suburb terrace with a tiny courtyard

wahroonga: dinky suburban home with character that needs work

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    When you guys talk about square feet does that include the second level?

• Options
    the problem with sydney right now is that 95% of places are auctioned. so no place has a price tag, you can't look around and formulate an idea about where to buy and plan around that, you just have to guess based on the local area, recent sales... and then add $25,000 or so. sydney is a huge city but there's very little high-density living space, and none that would suit a family: in any given suburb, when a freestanding home pops onto the market, there's a queue of people ready to pounce on it. it hasn't been much different in the eight years or so we've lived here, but it's particularly hot right now. it's going to be hard.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    They are like on the opposite sides of the city.

• Options
    They are like on the opposite sides of the city.

yep. we're going to have to be pretty flexible.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Got my lease renewal notice in the mail yesterday (ours expires Feb 1). I moved into this apartment almost 3 years ago, 10 months before my wife and I got married. I moved out to Seattle for work and she followed after the wedding. The place was nice enough when I was on my own, but we've pretty much grown out of it. On top of that, it hasn't had any updates since I moved in, and the landscapers conveniently forget to do anything with the shrubs or moss around our 1st floor apartment. So, we've been planning on moving some time next year after going month to month.

After yesterday's notice, I want out much sooner. The increase in rent is 11% if we renew (was 5% last year) and 30% to go month to month (was 14% last year). They seem to think where we are is all up and coming. However, the abandoned grocery store next to our complex and what I call "sell your own car corner", formerly a gas station that was torn down, beg to differ. There are so many much nicer and larger places nearby and closer to my wife's job that there's no reason to stick around this place. I honestly don't know where they get off thinking that this place is great enough to warrant increases on this level.

Right now, I'm just working out if we can afford to pay double rent for 2 months, or if we'll need to wait for closer to January to move.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    there are few more satisfying feeling than saying adios to a landlord who wants too much money.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2013
    I've scheduled four tours for Saturday (three confirmed so far). There's also a condo that we both really like but can't get into just yet. The owner got back to us and it's still occupied until the end of the month. She couldn't get a hold of them for a walk through, but that one might be best for a January move-in. Plus it's so close to the lake, you can pay extra for boat launch and drydock use.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Never heard back from that guy who messaged me about the nice sounding house share. Bummer cos it sounded pretty good.

Looking again. I know I should be more open to sharing with other people but ugh, I do not like the idea of going back into a house with a ton of people like I'm a student again, and all the places I can find are either 6 or 7 bedrooms, or a room in a family home, which I am also not keen on. I just want a house/flat with one or two other people.

Though I have just found an ad for a studio flat within my budget. It's tiny, and I'd be alone still, but it'd be a step up from my current place in terms of knowing I won't be turfed out in a fortnight, and it's in a much better location for work and really close to my brother's house. Have sent a request for info/a viewing. So here's hoping, I guess.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

oughta be against the law to use HDR photography to advertise houses.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Well shit.

Fridge went out. Currently waiting to hear from the landlords. We lost a good bit of groceries, but thankfully I have some money set aside.

On the upside, new fridge!?!

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My dad's retiring in February, and they're looking at selling the house we live in and one of the other houses they rent out by June, cuz they want the hell out of this province.

I should be moving into the remaining rental house and having my parents as landlords.

It's an adorable waterfront house, and my parents won't even be in the same province (and likely not the same country even) very often, and I may eventually buy it out from them if I really like it and I keep working (Can't believe that I actually typo'd tworking) near here.

Maybe it could work?

• Options
    LikeaBoshLikeaBosh Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I work as the housing manager for a company that brings international college students to the US to work on a cultural exchange visa. I am responsible for finding housing for 50+ people at a time, for only 3 months, at an incredibly low rate (most of them make minimum wage), while collecting rent from them all each week, and ensuring they don't trash the places before leaving. All while making sure we don't lose any money on it. I do this for multiple properties across the US at any one time. It is a nearly impossible job. I have seen some crazy things people have done to apartments.

They basically all destroy the apartments to some degree, but it's interesting to see how different cultures all do it in their own unique way. Just as an example from this summer, we had a large group made up of Ukranian, Chinese, and British students. The Ukranians left cigarettes and cigarette burns EVERYWHERE. The Brits all had holes in the walls of their apartments, and what we think was hair dye on the carpets. But the Chinese students all had a strange thing about food. They just left it everywhere. Cook a pizza, eat a few bites, leave it sitting out. For months. I had a furniture company coming to help move out the rented beds, and we opened the door to a Chinese apartment, only to have the moving guys vomit. The smell was horrific. I fought back my gag reflex and went in, hoping I wouldn't find a corpse. There was food laying everywhere, with maggots crawling on it. There was a large pot in the sink filled with water and apparently fish guts. These students had moved out 2 days before! It was mind blowing that they just lived in that. I had to hire a guy who specialized in cleaning up dead bodies and crime scenes in order to restore the apartment to a rentable state.

Anyway, it's actually not the worst job I've had. But it could pay better.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    One of my roommates is moving out in December even though he's on the lease until May. The landlord is kind of mad but says he doesn't care as long as he gets the entire rent. I don't want to pay anything extra and my other roommate is barely surviving as it is. If we find a new roommate it's no big deal, but if we can't find anyone it's going to be messy.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Is that legal? To just bail on your lease and force your roommates to make up the difference? I feel like there should be stipulations in the contract that protect against that kind of nonsense.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Would depend on the law of the land.

Something similar almost happened to me, so I spent a while researching what would happen. If that happened here, the landlord is entitled to the full rent regardless of how many tenants are in there, the only repercussion is the remaining roommates could try and take the other to small claims court over the missing payments.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

oughta be against the law to use HDR photography to advertise houses.

Really they're just setting themselves up to do a LOT of showings that will lead nowhere.

People are going to show up expecting the house to look the way it does in the pictures, and when it actually just looks like a normal house, they'll be very disappointed.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Would depend on the law of the land.

Something similar almost happened to me, so I spent a while researching what would happen. If that happened here, the landlord is entitled to the full rent regardless of how many tenants are in there, the only repercussion is the remaining roommates could try and take the other to small claims court over the missing payments.

I looked over the lease that we signed and it doesn't mention how much we each have to pay, only what the total rent is. It's pretty cheap here so I can afford to pay more if need be (even if I don't want to) but my other roommate is barely scraping by as it is. He will not be able to pay any more.

The dumb thing is that the guy who's leaving doesn't have a good reason. He just wants to live with his some friends instead.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Yea, that's bullshit. If you can't find someone, he should have to pony up the cash for his part of the rent per the damn contract he signed.

Honor his obligations. You know, like an adult.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Well, hopefully this will lead to you getting a new awesome roommate who won't skip out halfway through the lease. Because fuck that other guy. I mean, if he suddenly had to relocate for work or family reasons, that's one thing. But unless you and the other roommate are conducting human sacrifices in front of a sink full of dishes you refuse to ever wash or something, wanting to live with his friends instead is a piss poor excuse.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Rat stuck and dying under the dishwasher. Get to call the pest control about it tomorrow.

At least it's stuck and not running around dying...

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    10 more days until we have our new house.

I... am so not ready.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I don't think anyone really is.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    the good news is my roommate has now drawn runes and sigils in order to summon the demons: Stygal (bringer of death (for the rat)), Elim (lord of attrition)

if we're lucky the rat will be gone by the weekend

Oghulk on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    10 more days until we have our new house.

I... am so not ready.

If it makes you feel any better I had a guy check and it's only haunted by three ghosts, only one of which is potentially murderous!

• Options
    Fixing this reticulation is starting to drive me batty.

Last week I dug it out and found a leak in the valve, to this week I cut the pipe unscrewed the valve, taped it again then glued the entire system back together with a joiner.

Then one of my new glued joints blew.

So I repaired that, jammed it up let it dry and then a new joint blew and another joint cracked and at this stage there is no room to stick any more joiners in to repair so my only option is to dump the entire section and build it from scratch.

This has been occupying so much of my thought process that I almost considered blowing off my first real crag day in forever just to fix this again.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If part of the retic plumbing is going, it's likely that all of it will go soon.

Get ye to Bunnings! (Do it with heavy duty PVC pipe and proper pipe cement, and never worry about it again. That cheap black retic pipe is shithouse.)

• Options
    Hoooly shit this rat just got expensive as fuck

god damn motherfucker how did you even get yourself stuck you ass

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    So we are in a (not surprising but) frustrating spot in the townhouse. My Uncle is letting us live there without paying rent to him, under the agreement that if the homeowner's association tells us we have to fix something on the outside of the house that we take care of it.

The problem is the inside of the house. The sink in the kitchen needs to be replaced, the basement needs electrical repair, (which isn't a big issue, but we have no light in the backyard because of it) and both toilets in the bathrooms need to be replaced sooner rather than later. This is not including the dishwasher that will probably need to be replaced in the next year if it decides to keep acting up or the fridge which is definitely old and a little worse for wear on the inside (ice machine doesn't work and the shelves are a little wonky and busted. The fence and deck are also very old and need to be replaced.

My uncle is paranoid schizophrenic who has only recently been taking his meds again. He is too paranoid to live on his own and is living with my parents. He wants to hold onto the townhouse, but refuses to actually set foot in there.

I want to help him take care of the place, but it's kind of difficult to make these updates when he doesn't want to make any decisions himself. I'm just worried that if we do replace things later he'll be upset even though he told us to do it and I don't want him to think that we're taking advantage of him if he decides to stop taking his medication again.

It has just really been stressing me out lately because I feel like the list of things is growing faster than we can take care of anything.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    So we are in a (not surprising but) frustrating spot in the townhouse. My Uncle is letting us live there without paying rent to him, under the agreement that if the homeowner's association tells us we have to fix something on the outside of the house that we take care of it.

The problem is the inside of the house. The sink in the kitchen needs to be replaced, the basement needs electrical repair, (which isn't a big issue, but we have no light in the backyard because of it) and both toilets in the bathrooms need to be replaced sooner rather than later. This is not including the dishwasher that will probably need to be replaced in the next year if it decides to keep acting up or the fridge which is definitely old and a little worse for wear on the inside (ice machine doesn't work and the shelves are a little wonky and busted. The fence and deck are also very old and need to be replaced.

My uncle is paranoid schizophrenic who has only recently been taking his meds again. He is too paranoid to live on his own and is living with my parents. He wants to hold onto the townhouse, but refuses to actually set foot in there.

I want to help him take care of the place, but it's kind of difficult to make these updates when he doesn't want to make any decisions himself. I'm just worried that if we do replace things later he'll be upset even though he told us to do it and I don't want him to think that we're taking advantage of him if he decides to stop taking his medication again.

It has just really been stressing me out lately because I feel like the list of things is growing faster than we can take care of anything.

Replace them with things that are as cheap as possible while being close to the originals? Will last as long as you live there, and low cost to you if he decides he hates whatever you got if/when he moves back in.

It sucks to be in that situation though. I recently went through something similar while staying at my mom's place while she was living with my sister. For me, at least, it was frustrating because I knew she had opinions but she was refusing to communicate them because she wasn't living there, even though we both knew she would be moving back eventually.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Yeah. That's what we are going to have to end up doing, but it's just kind of frustrating to not have his input on it. If he wanted to reimburse us for part of these expenses (which he might randomly decide to do anyway) then I would be fine with picking more expensive options that will last longer.

But not knowing if he's going to put money towards it after we already paid for it is just kind of frustrating. I figure this property is something he's going to hold onto for a while, but if someone doesn't take any interest in it then it's just going to continue to worsen over time.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    The apartment next to ours is going up for sale. We live in a co-op, so if we were able to purchase the next-door apartment, we could combine the two. This would give is a lot more room, plus an extra bedroom or two.
    I wish we had more money. My parents said they could loan us the down payment, and my mother-in-law said she could loan us a good amount on top of that. But things here are expensive. Maintenance would be $2000 a month for the two apartments, even before the mortgage. And I just had to take a month of unpaid leave recently from work.
    But we will probably never get an opportunity like this again. Two/three-bedroom places just don't exist around here for any reasonable amount of money.
    We live reasonable well now, but things would be so tight if we tried to buy the apartment. We're going to try for it, but I'm not really sure how well it will work out.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    All moved in, unpacked and best of all, it's tidy. Of course, now, the real test of my mettle:

Sorting. Just kind of put things where they'd fit, first, so this will be interesting.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I bought a rug!

I had no idea i would be so excited about buying a rug! What the hell has happened to me?

This discussion has been closed.