Options

OLD THREAD: Don't post 'til you see the whites of their Steam sales!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I ended up buying the Sleeping Dogs DLC Year of the Snake and beating it just now. I don't think I've ever bought something during a Steam sale and completed it in the same day before.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Muppetman wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Well I took the plunge on Skyrim - for less than £4 how could I not. Do I mod or alter it in anyway or just fire it up and get involved?

The OP of the Skyrim thread has some recommended mods. For your first time through I would recommend UI fixes and unofficial patches only, no gameplay affecting things so you can get the vanilla experience.

In my opinion those mods are for after you beat the game, to spice things up a bit on your next playthrough(s).

Yeah I saw the thread and what seemed like a very long list of mods :) Will see what the game looks like in the raw so to speak and then maybe have a look at texture mods and the like. Thanks

For what it's worth, I installed Skyrim for the first time a month or so ago. I played it for a few days unmodded, and then went back, read the Skyrim thread, and got the unofficial patch (for bug fixes), Better Quest Markes (because finding stuff was sometimes annoying), and SkyUI - which was a bit complicated to install, but de-consolified the UI and made it more PC friendly.

I cannot express the extra value these added to the experience. SkyUI in particular made actually *doing* things in the interface roughly a bajillion percent easier, and two bajillion percent less frustrating. I tried, i really tried, to stick to Vanilla, but frankly I heartily recommend the bug fixes and the un-awful interface that mods can bring you.

Also there are mods to make the guys super, super hot.

Boy are there. Everyone talks about the pretty ladies but Skyrim modding is pretty equal opportunity sleazy.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    @Big Classy dropped a Space Hulk sized bomb on me because I, rather foolishly, announced in chat that since I'd already gone overdrawn buying groceries that I was ready for anything the sale could throw at me.
    My hubris is once again my downfall.
    <3

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Laugh as I know you will. But as a man who just played a PC game with a respectable rig for the first time ever, damn Aliens Colonial Marines looks better than anything I have played on a console!

PLease tell me you didn't buy this game

Please

It is terrible

I'm oddly enjoying it. I got it during the Summer Sale, but my 4K graphics couldn't handle it.

Today, I'm playing with power.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Playing MirrorMoon EP and Antichamber back to back was not a wise choice. I'm no longer sure I'm real.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Everyones favorite game is 90% off, so if you know any particularly bad children, have at it.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I ended up buying the Sleeping Dogs DLC Year of the Snake and beating it just now. I don't think I've ever bought something during a Steam sale and completed it in the same day before.

You played a game you bought on Steam?

HERESY BLASPHEMER BURN THE WITCH

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Laugh as I know you will. But as a man who just played a PC game with a respectable rig for the first time ever, damn Aliens Colonial Marines looks better than anything I have played on a console!

Sounds like someone needs to play Bioshock Infinite.
    Do I need to finish playing 1&2 before picking up Infinite? The atmosphere looks much more my style (less dark) so I'd love to give it a try but I'm hesitant without finishing the others first.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Playing MirrorMoon EP and Antichamber back to back was not a wise choice. I'm no longer sure I'm real.

I'm entirely sure you aren't. But don't let that hold you back. Most of LA is completely fake and they do rather well for themselves.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Hey, hey, stop what you're doing. Put that down, be quiet!

La-Mulana is 80% off. Go get it, go!

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Happy Steam Sale. This year I'm thankful for all of you! <3

Steam: offday
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Do I need to finish playing 1&2 before picking up Infinite? The atmosphere looks much more my style (less dark) so I'd love to give it a try but I'm hesitant without finishing the others first.

They're not really directly tied in together, although there is a reference or two to the first Bioshock. You would probably be fine.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

I'd suggest finishing Bioshock first. Bioshock 2 is a good game, but it doesn't really add anything.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Has anyone played Space Hulk? I'm fairly interested in Warhammer 40k stuff, like tactical turned based games and as per the flow chart I should buy it now if I want it, but... I've heard bad things about this game.

I'd trust any PA opinions more than reviewers though, so any thoughts?

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Has anyone played Space Hulk? I'm fairly interested in Warhammer 40k stuff, like tactical turned based games and as per the flow chart I should buy it now if I want it, but... I've heard bad things about this game.

I found it really boring

But others like it so I dunno

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

I seem to remember @Drake had some positive things to say, so I'll light the beacon...

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Come on Steam, why won't you let me complete my purchase.

And why is my monitor making a funny whining noise and flickering a little bit. Damn it! I knew I shouldn't have gone with 'Hannspree'.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Well I took the plunge on Skyrim - for less than £4 how could I not. Do I mod or alter it in anyway or just fire it up and get involved?

The OP of the Skyrim thread has some recommended mods. For your first time through I would recommend UI fixes and unofficial patches only, no gameplay affecting things so you can get the vanilla experience.

In my opinion those mods are for after you beat the game, to spice things up a bit on your next playthrough(s).

Yeah I saw the thread and what seemed like a very long list of mods :) Will see what the game looks like in the raw so to speak and then maybe have a look at texture mods and the like. Thanks

For what it's worth, I installed Skyrim for the first time a month or so ago. I played it for a few days unmodded, and then went back, read the Skyrim thread, and got the unofficial patch (for bug fixes), Better Quest Markes (because finding stuff was sometimes annoying), and SkyUI - which was a bit complicated to install, but de-consolified the UI and made it more PC friendly.

I cannot express the extra value these added to the experience. SkyUI in particular made actually *doing* things in the interface roughly a bajillion percent easier, and two bajillion percent less frustrating. I tried, i really tried, to stick to Vanilla, but frankly I heartily recommend the bug fixes and the un-awful interface that mods can bring you.

Boy are there. Everyone talks about the pretty ladies but Skyrim modding is pretty equal opportunity sleazy.

It's a wonderful time to be alive.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

Light the @Drake signal.

[edit]Beaten like a dog!

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    All caught up on my Sleeping Dogs DLC. Taking a good, long look at Prime World: Defenders. The demo is impressing me, just waiting to see how tower upgrading factors in.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KhezKhez Registered User regular
    So skyrim is the daily deal does that mean the legendary edition is also part of the daily deal too? In other words if I let skyrim pass will the lengendary edition price go up?

76561197967286566.png

Psn: Khezaf
    Wildstar: MeHealU
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Steam has never had dailies or flashes for various versions of a game. It's always a singular deal. The Legendary won't get cheaper.

• Options
    KiaburraKiaburra Registered User regular
    Khez wrote: »
    So skyrim is the daily deal does that mean the legendary edition is also part of the daily deal too? In other words if I let skyrim pass will the lengendary edition price go up?

I believe so - the Legendary edition says 'DAILY DEAL! Offer ends in 43:....'

Planetside2: Sincerity of COA
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Any thoughts on Skyrim? Legendary Edition at $20 takes out a good part of my sale budget, and while the $7 base game is VERY tempting, I have a hard time buying a base version when there is a package with all the DLC. I've done that a few times, and end up wishing I'd just held out for the GOTY or complete version.

I know the base game is on daily, but is it safe to assume Legendary / DLC isn't coming down from where it's at?

EDIT - Heh, guess I'm not the only one wondering.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Skyrim? Legendary Edition at $20 takes out a good part of my sale budget, and while the $7 base game is VERY tempting, I have a hard time buying a base version when there is a package with all the DLC. I've done that a few times, and end up wishing I'd just held out for the GOTY or complete version.

I know the base game is on daily, but is it safe to assume Legendary / DLC isn't coming down from where it's at?

Plus some of the more interesting mods require some of the DLC. There is a beast mod I'm going to install that requires Dawnguard.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Year Odd the Snake is on sale. I think that's the lowest it's been. Need to get it, and maybe Zodiac Tournament, to complete my Sleeping Dogs collection. They only released three DLCs with plot and stuff, right?

Year of the Snake, Wheels of Fury, Zodiac Tournament, and Nightmare in North Point all have missions and story and stuff. Wheels of Fury doesn't have a ton of story, but the supercar you get from playing through it is fun to play around with.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

I seem to remember @Drake had some positive things to say, so I'll light the beacon...

It released in a pretty rough but playable condition for most people. It's gotten a ton of support since launch, resolving the lion's share of issues the game shipped with. Most reviews slammed the game for not being enough of a video game, or for bucking the fluff-centric tone of the Relic games with its nearly purist approach to the classic GW boardgame. People were upset by seeing their fuckawesome supersoldiers in Terminator armor get killed by Genestealers, even though that's exactly how the game is supposed to play. Fortunes turn on a dime in Space Hulk. An untimely jammed Bolter or a Space Marine placed one square in the wrong direction can doom an entire mission.

If you want a computer version of Space Hulk the board game with minor variation on a point or two from how the table top version plays you'll likely be satisfied. If you want turn based Dawn of War II you won't find what you are looking for here. Ten bucks is a pretty decent price too, just look at it as lopping off the GW tax on the game. Personally I think it's one of the best translations of a GW IP to the PC. If you want something that hews closer to the table top territory instead of the version of 40K that Relic has excelled in producing this is a good game to pick up and will only get better once the level editor is released, since there is a built in fanbase from the boardgame that is excited to recreate their own campaigns and missions in the game. Just don't expect high tech bells and whistles with a lavish production like XCOM EU. That said the attention to detail is pretty fantastic stuff and the developers have proven their devotion to long term support for the game. This has been one of the most unfairly bashed games of the year in my opinion and I hold Rock, Paper, Shotgun's irresponsible hyping of the game followed by one of the most completely terrible bullshit reviews I've ever seen responsible.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Steam has never had dailies or flashes for various versions of a game. It's always a singular deal. The Legendary won't get cheaper.

Ah okay didn't know the Legendary Ed. was a daily sale so i snagged it ;D.

Khez on
    76561197967286566.png

• Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Podunk wrote: »
    All caught up on my Sleeping Dogs DLC. Taking a good, long look at Prime World: Defenders. The demo is impressing me, just waiting to see how tower upgrading factors in.

You can "evolve" tower cards by merging two identical cards. This gives access to higher upgrade tiers during a level, similar to other tower defense games. You can also "fuse" trash cards into a tower card which just makes them stronger across the board.

I've found Prime World: Defenders to be super fun so far, but the downside to mixing in the RPG elements is that sometimes you'll get stuck on a level and the solution is to grind for cash, cards and experience levels. Still, for under $4 it's a solid buy. Even better if it goes to 75/80% off during a flash/daily deal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I should probably @Lanlaorn that post so it doesn't get lost in the sales talk.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »

Plus some of the more interesting mods require some of the DLC. There is a beast mod I'm going to install that requires Dawnguard.

Good to know, good to know...

Right now, I've already purchased Rogue Legacy and it's installing, so that's good.

My big 'gets' over the Autumn / Winter sales are KSP & Skyrim (Legendary per your post).

I'm looking at the Rise of the Triad remake and Shadowrun Returns on my 'maybe' list, but otherwise it's mostly going to come down to what looks interesting at 75%+ off.

Adding to the backlog, serving the Newell.

• Options
    Uh so I'm not sure any one else noticed but when you scroll down to the bottom of steam main page it says "spring sale" but it is upside down? I'm so confused.

76561197967286566.png

• Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Uh so I'm not sure any one else noticed but when you scroll down to the bottom of steam main page it says "spring sale" but it is upside down? I'm so confused.

It's a joke about the fact that in the southern hemisphere, it is currently spring rather than fall.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular

Australia.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I really wanted to like Dragon Age 2 but I was playing on PS3 and there was a gamebreaking bug where some item I needed fell through the floor and so you could never leave the city. It was never patched and I just couldn't bring myself to go through it all again with the possiblity of it happening again. I'm glad you found it enjoyable, @an_alt.

I played it on 360 and the bugs I saw were mainly annoyances. There were one or two times I had to go back a save, but that was about it. One of these sales I'll pick up the original for PC.
    I do see Dungeons of Dreadmor (roguelike), Vampire, and Titan Quest (ARPG) on your account untouched. Super brothers is super enjoyable too I thought, albeit short.

Also, prime world defenders is on sale for stupid cheap if you like Tower D. The tower leveling elements of the game make it more RPG like.

My computer is plugged into a TV and my couch is getting worse as a mousing surface. Dredmor seems a bit clicky so it's on my big list for when I have a PC/desk combo again. Superbrothers and Titan Quest must have come in a bundle at some point. I'm not really looking for a hack n' slash, but I'm guess you're suggesting Titan Quest for a world to get lost in, so I may have to check it out.

V:TM:B:C is awesome. I played it most of the way through years ago, but my saves got wiped before I finished. Fine, it's going in the immediate backlog list.

Thanks for taking the time to look over my game list. It's appreciated!

Why on earth would you want to play a Bethesda game unmodded? I haven't tried Skyrim yet, but when I do it will only be played unmodded once - just to make sure it installed correctly.

The women will be slutty and the men even sluttier! (This describes the first two mods I will install)

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Drake wrote: »

It released in a pretty rough but playable condition for most people. It's gotten a ton of support since launch, resolving the lion's share of issues the game shipped with. Most reviews slammed the game for not being enough of a video game, or for bucking the fluff-centric tone of the Relic games with its nearly purist approach to the classic GW boardgame. People were upset by seeing their fuckawesome supersoldiers in Terminator armor get killed by Genestealers, even though that's exactly how the game is supposed to play. Fortunes turn on a dime in Space Hulk. An untimely jammed Bolter or a Space Marine placed one square in the wrong direction can doom an entire mission.

If you want a computer version of Space Hulk the board game with minor variation on a point or two from how the table top version plays you'll likely be satisfied. If you want turn based Dawn of War II you won't find what you are looking for here. Ten bucks is a pretty decent price too, just look at it as lopping off the GW tax on the game. Personally I think it's one of the best translations of a GW IP to the PC. If you want something that hews closer to the table top territory instead of the version of 40K that Relic has excelled in producing this is a good game to pick up and will only get better once the level editor is released, since there is a built in fanbase from the boardgame that is excited to recreate their own campaigns and missions in the game. Just don't expect high tech bells and whistles with a lavish production like XCOM EU. That said the attention to detail is pretty fantastic stuff and the developers have proven their devotion to long term support for the game. This has been one of the most unfairly bashed games of the year in my opinion and I hold Rock, Paper, Shotgun's irresponsible hyping of the game followed by one of the most completely terrible bullshit reviews I've ever seen responsible.

Well, my hesitance was pretty much entirely because of that RPS review. I'll have to weigh getting it more carefully now.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

It's a silly earthling thing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    übergeek wrote: »

Australia.

I knew they were on the opposite side of the earth but I didn't think they played/used steam upside down. o:)

76561197967286566.png

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »

PLease tell me you didn't buy this game

Please

It is terrible

I'm oddly enjoying it. I got it during the Summer Sale, but my 4K graphics couldn't handle it.

Today, I'm playing with power.

Honestly, I know the idea of doubling down on this game is hard to swallow, but the Bug Hunt DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines is actually good fun, especially with friends. The motion tracker suddenly becomes useful, you get some pretty cool levels to think around, and the aliens aren't nearly as stupid as they are in the campaign for some reason.

It's still not the game we were sold, but I've had a good time with it.

• Options
    Really tempted to bite on Prison Architect but I don't know much about it other than it is a tycoon style game

Is it worth the 10 pounds sterling

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.