As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

black and white [chat]

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Wait a minute. Are you guys saying that case of the 16 year old in Texas murdering my coworker was a case of the legal system being slanted against Hispanics / in favor of white people?

That fucking kid deserved every year sentenced to him, and my personal attachment to the victim (even if it wasn't too close) makes me feel like he deserves more (but that's my emotions flying wild). Drunk driving is fucking stupid and we need to come down on it like a motherfucker in this country.

Henroid, I get what you're saying, and I'm sorry that this happened, it was unjust and should never have occurred, but you just said he 'murdered' your co-worker. If you're claiming that he targeted her and intended to kill her, then you're not rational. If you don't mean that, then take a step back for just a moment and think about what the end result of what you're saying will be.

It's not 1st degree murder, but any time a drunk driver gets behind the wheel, they may as well go "I'm out to murder someone." I mean seriously there is zero excuse for drunk driving.

Or talking a cell phone while driving. Or texting while driving. Or driving while tired. Or driving while on medication.

And yet people do these things. And people have died because of people doing these things.

Is everyone who talks on a cell phone in their car intending to murder someone?

They're not aware of it yet. It's why I support laws cracking down on that shit.

Remember the girl in San Francisco playing with her music playlist and ran over a dude, killing him, and only got a $1000 fine and then cried on MySpace about people being mean to her? Fuck her.

Sure they are. The dangers of cell phone use while driving are incredibly well documented and published. I see commercials all the time about how texting or talking on a cell phone has gotten people killed. In fact, I see those ads way more than I see drunk driving ads.

So the question is, is it fair to say that someone talking on their cell phone while driving is intending to commit murder?

We need to elevate the dangers of driving with those kinds of distractions to the same level of driving while intoxicated. It's bad, there is no safe level of doing it.

While using a device while driving is dangerous, it's only while the device is actually being used

drunkenness can't be turned "off" you can't "undrunk" when you hit a snowy bit of road or in heavy traffic

I'm trying to find fatal car crash statistics for using a mobile device while driving vs drunk driving but I can't, all I can find is the same studies that have the participants using the phone the entire duration while driving during the simulation

You'd need some research showing me that cell phones were as likely to cause a fatal car crash as driving drunk in order to convince me it should be elevated to a serious offense, which I can't find any of, just that it causes lots of accidents (the majority of which are minor)

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Poor cell phone car integration is probably responsible for more deaths than any sort of mechanical issues. Like, my car requires that I scroll through a giant list for 5 fucking minutes just to play the song I want. It locks me out of using touch or Siri because of regulations regarding phone-car integration. I've yet to kill anyone but when I do, please blame out of touch regulators and also Miley Cyrus probably.

I really hope you don't actually do this while driving.

I try not to. With iOS 7 and the iPhone 5S, the accessory mode lockout doesn't always work so usually I just ask Siri 12 times until it finally glitches and changes to the song I want.

The occasional time I actually pick a song by hand well... at least it's better than changing CDs.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Max Payne film is on TV.

Also this beer definitely does better unchilled.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I would like to try Starbound out but I'm broke this month cause Aaron hasn't worked very much due to his job being light this time of year

so I should blame him right y/n???

you should hurt him

with a knife

No :-(

YES

at least belittle him a bit

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    pls do not use violence to solve relationship problems k

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Unorthodox but it works Chanus.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Poor cell phone car integration is probably responsible for more deaths than any sort of mechanical issues. Like, my car requires that I scroll through a giant list for 5 fucking minutes just to play the song I want. It locks me out of using touch or Siri because of regulations regarding phone-car integration. I've yet to kill anyone but when I do, please blame out of touch regulators and also Miley Cyrus probably.

I really hope you don't actually do this while driving.

I try not to. With iOS 7 and the iPhone 5S, the accessory mode lockout doesn't always work so usually I just ask Siri 12 times until it finally glitches and changes to the song I want.

The occasional time I actually pick a song by hand well... at least it's better than changing CDs.

Manual changing is pretty annoying, there's only like 3 lines of text on my display, and if you scroll too quickly it goes into this weird fast scroll mode where you just see the item number on the list and not the actual items, so you have to wait for it change back from quick scroll mode to actually see if what you're about to select is the folder you want. Then you have to do the same thing for song if you're that selective and not just playing the entire album.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    So what, exactly, are you guys saying? Is drunk driving worse than talking on a cell phone or texting while driving, even though the outcomes are similar?

If this kid had been texting and killed four people I would have expected the state to initially seek manslaughter (texting while driving is illegal in Texas isnt it?), and if his defense team used "affluenza", for him to lose and have to appeal on the grounds that his lawyer was fucking stupid

override367 on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    :/

Looks like he injured someone and then killed himself.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    USB Drive is showing up as a floppy in my VM. What the hell?

• Options

But it's just fine for dealing out justice?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Max Payne film is on TV.

Also this beer definitely does better unchilled.

Wait there was a Ma-

Ohmygosh mark Wahlberg I blocked it out goodness no put it back in the vault.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    i want an apple headunit

something that just puts my iphone's screen up there with maps and everything and just plays me some music

I feel like Apple would be unwilling to make something that mounts inside a car that they didn't make

so it's either partner with auto manufacturers or buy the Applmobile. The engine is one-piece, no user maintenance possible, very pretty and minimalist and decent mileage and acceleration but starts at $95,000.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I think it's a safe bet that she was joking and this Public Service Announcement is not really necessary.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Aaron got his first shift today for like

three hours

Hopefully it turns into more work? He's looking for other jobs but he has no post-secondary education so I dunno what his prospects are

• Options

n-no?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I feel like impaired driving is only so shocking because it takes place in the context of driving, which is intrinsically incredibly dangerous.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

three hours

Hopefully it turns into more work? He's looking for other jobs but he has no post-secondary education so I dunno what his prospects are

He could try sucking dicks. I hear he's had a lot of practice on Pony

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    i want an apple headunit

something that just puts my iphone's screen up there with maps and everything and just plays me some music

I feel like Apple would be unwilling to make something that mounts inside a car that they didn't make

so it's either partner with auto manufacturers or buy the Applmobile. The engine is one-piece, no user maintenance possible, very pretty and minimalist and decent mileage and acceleration but starts at $95,000.

i actually just hope that existing stereo manufacturers get some sort of deal going with apple where the iphone is a more seamless integration

like, you get siri and apple maps and all that

that's what's more likely to happen given apple's announcements this past summer

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

three hours

As a man without post-secondary education I can safely say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Calvin Klein's clothing?

I am presently wearing 2 articles of it.

How do you like it? There's a pretty awesome deal I can get on a suit I like the look of, and they have it on my size. I'm still not ready for the new year party.

Oh, I have two calvin klein suits. They're p decent quality. Im a stocky fat dude, but they also make a slim fit for the more svelte motherfuckers out there.

If this is a more general suit inquiry, yelp some tailors. They're the ultimate arbiters of whether you will look good in it or not :).

This "slim-fit" model is on sale for $200, and tailoring shouldn't add much to the cost.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

three hours

I can tell you've been working on your jokes lately. How many Dane Cook DVDs did you buy?

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    I feel like impaired driving is only so shocking because it takes place in the context of driving, which is intrinsically incredibly dangerous.

well, yes? it's very easy to kill people with your giant metal vehicle, even easier if you are impaired

• Options

n-no?

Fuck.

Allright Chanus, take off the boxing gloves coated with broken glass.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i don't immediately despise drunk drivers because drunk driving is something i could see being really easy to do without ever consciously deciding to

black out, drive while blacked out, wake up with your life ruined

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It should also be noted that he was really, really drunk

the legal limit isn't actually that much impairment in a lot of people and its still as dangerous as looking down at your phone every 3 seconds, and he had a lot more than that
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i don't immediately despise drunk drivers because drunk driving is something i could see being really easy to do without ever consciously deciding to

I've never blacked out so it's hard for me to identify with that

override367 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

n-no?

Fuck.

TOO LATE I'M ALREADY SWINGING

• Options

majority of drunk drivers have a moderate to severe addiction to alcohol, in my anecdotal experience

that makes it "easier" to do

driving is such a thing in this country that people don't think so much about how fucking dangerous it is, even without drinking

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

n-no?

Fuck.

RING THE BELL! END THE ROUND!

• Options
    like when you see a person who was capable of getting out their keys and operating their vehicle with a BAC above .30

and they say they don't have a problem

yikes

• Options

n-no?

Fuck.

AAAAA I CAN'T STOP WE'VE CREATED A MONSTER

• Options
    I wonder if this is how people felt when the big cultural shift against DUI was first happening? "Eh, I've been doing it ever since I was learning to drive, what's the problem?" and then you're making your young nephews uncomfortable at the family barbeque.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

three hours

I can tell you've been working on your jokes lately. How many Dane Cook DVDs did you buy?

I smirked when I first read this. "Wow, look at this weak ass comeback."
    It was like one of those sour candies that has a very thin sweet glaze on it to hide the initial shock from you. Then I realized, I had no comeback. Even now my fingers are shaking. My brain can't even process what just happened. There's a disarming simplicity to this burn. Subtle at first with a nutty piquantness to it as it rolls around in my mouth.

Bravo, Maddow. Bravo.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

majority of drunk drivers have a moderate to severe addiction to alcohol, in my anecdotal experience

that makes it "easier" to do

driving is such a thing in this country that people don't think so much about how fucking dangerous it is, even without drinking

yeah, i would imagine alcholics would be drunk far more often/end up driving far more often/end up in accidents far more often, just because of frequency

but like i have a friend who woke up with his car smashed into a telephone pole. he had taken all the precautions - gone to his friends' to drink, was gonna stay over, all that stuff. then while blackout they just... let him go get in his car and drive off

he was just thankful that that was all that happened, that he didn't end up hurting someone

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i feel bad for basically everyone

i am the hippiest these past few months

poor dead people

poor rich white 16 year old kid

poor non violent drug offenders in prison

poor rich dudes who aren't summering this year because yacht fuel has gone up

• Options

three hours

s... seven

• Options

n-no?

Fuck.

AAAAA I CAN'T STOP WE'VE CREATED A MONSTER

Good thing your conditioning sucks. You will tire yourself out in like 3 minutes.

• Options
    I got into one minor accident while using my cell phone and now I always come to a complete stop to do it, I'm the dork youll see on the shoulder making a call

ironically the accident was someone else ramming into me, and I was stopped at a red light, but he was looking at his phone just as I was
    except I was stopped >:C

anyway it made me realize if I was behind me I might have hit me

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    two hours to get my kimchi tacos whadthey go to korea to make it or somepin

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I asked Kyle Kinane where you can buy an album of his and he told me to just bootleg it.

This discussion has been closed.