Options

[Steam] Thread: Your monstrous control scheme preference is welcome here.

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Marikir wrote: »
    *installing TERA*

I may not get to it tonight, but perhaps later this week.

@Marikir I think most of us are on Tempest Reach?
    Not able to verify that currently.
    Tera today has pretty good information, from what I've been lead to believe.

Excellent, I was actually about to ask if there was a server people were on. Good to know for later.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    So, thanks to whoever told me I needed to play Saints Row 3. It's just crazy... I just drove around with a
    friggin' TIGER
    in the backseat. And I'm taking missions from a
    pimp that sounds like T-Pain

And yet, after SR4, that all sounds so reasonable.

SR3 goes to 11.

SR4 makes 10 (and 11) louder but then goes to 12.

Argh, looked at SR4 on Steam and spoiled part of SR3 for myself. I think I recognized one of the people walking with Boss in a cinematic...

Is the DLC for SR4 worth it? Should I wishlist the Game Of The Century Edition or the regular?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Some of you guys have similar desktop setups to what I hope to build one day. If I'm planning to have an SSD for my primary drive and then just a big drive for the secondary, how big do people suggest for the SSD? I'm currently running Windows 7 but I suspect if I ever get around to this build, I'll be using Windows 8 (or whatever comes after that at this rate).

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Some of you guys have similar desktop setups to what I hope to build one day. If I'm planning to have an SSD for my primary drive and then just a big drive for the secondary, how big do people suggest for the SSD? I'm currently running Windows 7 but I suspect if I ever get around to this build, I'll be using Windows 8 (or whatever comes after that at this rate).

I run everything off of a 240GB SSD, but my media is stored on a separate machine. I also try to keep only a few games installed at a time.

I looked at the DLC titles and decided that when I get SR4, it will be the Game Of The Century Edition.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    So, thanks to whoever told me I needed to play Saints Row 3. It's just crazy... I just drove around with a
    friggin' TIGER

SR3 goes to 11.

Argh, looked at SR4 on Steam and spoiled part of SR3 for myself. I think I recognized one of the people walking with Boss in a cinematic...

Is the DLC for SR4 worth it? Should I wishlist the Game Of The Century Edition or the regular?

Go with the Game of the Century edition. Enter the Dominatrix is like an SR4 greatest hits album to play after you complete the game.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Fawst wrote: »
    So it turns out my R7 260 is just not enough to play BioShock Infinite well. When it runs smoothly, it looks gorgeous. Unfortunately, once I made it into the city proper, it started chugging between smears of buttery-smooth framerates. I played with the settings and even dropped to 720 res, but no dice. That's OK, it gives me a baseline of games I probably can't run well. Considering it's the only game I've had trouble with so far that I own, I can hold out until I do a full system upgrade.

I don't think the R7 260 is your problem. An R7 260 ranks very, very near the 6950 that I had until a few days ago and I played Bioshock Infinite on that at very high or even max settings. In fact, Tom's Hardware was able to get very playable framerates out of a 260 at 1920x1080 and high settings.

What's the rest of your rig look like?

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    This one's for you @‌CorriganX

I believe this is a badger reenacting your playthrough of Amnesia

qjbpk1qbh1reuzbxikpj.gif

He totally saw 4 geese.
    friggin' TIGER

SR3 goes to 11.

Enter the Dominatrix is really cool, because it's basically a cliff's note run through of what Enter the Domintartix would have been had it been released as an SR3 expansion pack.

Saints Save Christmas is more Saints Row 4 craziness smashed with the best of Christmas classics.

Most of the other stuff is just cosmetic, but the explosives pack is wonderful OP powers. I'm talking wipe out 2 dozen enemies in one shot OP. It's a blast. (pun shamelessly intended)

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    Everyone has Bioschock already?
    Svevin wrote: »
    signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Rayiner wrote: »
    Did anyone try Neotokyo?

It's a pretty great and well polished mod, I dont know if anyone plays it anymore. The sound track is basically professionally produced and really good on its own. Very ghost in the shell vide from it(and the game too)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Everyone has Bioschock already?
    signature.png

I actually don't have it on Steam, but I played it on PS3 several years ago. I didn't want to enter to keep another person here on the boards from getting to experience it.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    @Svevin gimme a crash course on Assetto Corsa.

Are a lot of people playing multiplayer at any given time?

Racing games are more niche than you might expect, but this being the latest and greatest racing game, there are quite a few playing at any given time. You will see a lot during 6-11pm in countries where racing is more popular, such as European countries and Australia.

If I don't already have you added on steam, add me and we can do some laps. The new Lotus 98T is a beast! :smiley:

Do you have a wheel?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Rayiner wrote: »
    Did anyone try Neotokyo?

A long, long time ago? Don't remember too much, honestly.

Soundtrack is totally boss, though.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular

You can run a 120GD drive for the OS+not much, but a 250 is about as low as you really want to go. At least with a 250ish GB drive, you can keep a few games and your most used apps on it without too much worry. Right now, there are often great deals on 500 GB SSDs which let you not think about Steam Mover until you have a pile of games and apps on it.

So I'd suggest a 500 unless you get a great deal on something bigger. If you're more price conscious, a 250GB drive will still be a huge improvement.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So it turns out my R7 260 is just not enough to play BioShock Infinite well. When it runs smoothly, it looks gorgeous. Unfortunately, once I made it into the city proper, it started chugging between smears of buttery-smooth framerates. I played with the settings and even dropped to 720 res, but no dice. That's OK, it gives me a baseline of games I probably can't run well. Considering it's the only game I've had trouble with so far that I own, I can hold out until I do a full system upgrade.

I don't think the R7 260 is your problem. An R7 260 ranks very, very near the 6950 that I had until a few days ago and I played Bioshock Infinite on that at very high or even max settings. In fact, Tom's Hardware was able to get very playable framerates out of a 260 at 1920x1080 and high settings.

Hmm, interesting. It's an i5 2400 with 8gb of ram (not sure on the stats there) on Win 7 64-bit. I was wondering if it was my wireless mouse acting up, but it was happening consistently when I panned past certain locations in the game. I sit on my couch and use the mouse on the fabric arm which is curved, but that hasn't caused major problems before (only sometimes when a cat hair gets into the lens housing). I'll check to make sure the system didn't magically reduce itself to only two cores again, since that happened before.

Oh yeah, this is a Dell. I upgraded the PSU and replaced the ram with a single 8gb stick instead of using two 4gb ones. Not sure if the mobo being shit would have much to do with anything.

I also wonder if they tested that with actual playtime or if they used the benchmarking app. I got an avg FPS of just shy of 60 at 720 when I used the app to test it before I actually played.

Fawst on
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    @shdwcaster overestimates me. I'm just a pretty good commander. He's the Supreme Commander.
    mhclv72yju7h.png

Seriously though, this guy. <3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Excision wrote: »

I'm also ok with that. SpecOps said what it set out to say, and any sequel would only detract from that statement, not add to it.

Not everything needs a sequel. Sometimes, it's best to let a work of art simply be unique.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular

Hmm, interesting. It's an i5 2400 with 8gb of ram (not sure on the stats there) on Win 7 64-bit. I was wondering if it was my wireless mouse acting up, but it was happening consistently when I panned past certain locations in the game. I sit on my couch and use the mouse on the fabric arm which is curved, but that hasn't caused major problems before (only sometimes when a cat hair gets into the lens housing). I'll check to make sure the system didn't magically reduce itself to only two cores again, since that happened before.

Oh yeah, this is a Dell. I upgraded the PSU and replaced the ram with a single 8gb stick instead of using two 4gb ones. Not sure if the mobo being shit would have much to do with anything.

I also wonder if they tested that with actual playtime or if they used the benchmarking app. I got an avg FPS of just shy of 60 at 720 when I used the app to test it before I actually played.

There's definitely something not right there. My pc is a toaster compared to yours and I played the game fine at 1080p with no major slowdowns.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I find Sonic and its speed not fun to play. You're often going so fast there is little to no skill involved. Just run through stuff until you hit a wall or hit an enemy and lose your rings.

I've always wondered why, as Sonic increases in speed, everything around him doesn't slow down. Because if we're playing as the thing going fast, that should be how things look, right? like they're going slower than us? We'd still look like we were running normal speed, and everything else would . . . just . . . slow . . . down. Which means anything going normal speed would be going as fast as us, allowing the interspersal of very fast things around a stage such as spikes, bullets and enemies made easier to bypass by going fast, offset by the possibility of not properly gauging how slow something else is going. It would still be about speed, but it would make Sonic games about the relative speed of things in relation to the player character, rather than simply ramping things up to faster mode.
    Radiation wrote: »
    Marikir wrote: »
    *installing TERA*

I may not get to it tonight, but perhaps later this week.

@Marikir I think most of us are on Tempest Reach?
    Not able to verify that currently.
    Tera today has pretty good information, from what I've been lead to believe.

I'm on Tempest Reach . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »

You can run a 120GD drive for the OS+not much, but a 250 is about as low as you really want to go. At least with a 250ish GB drive, you can keep a few games and your most used apps on it without too much worry. Right now, there are often great deals on 500 GB SSDs which let you not think about Steam Mover until you have a pile of games and apps on it.

So I'd suggest a 500 unless you get a great deal on something bigger. If you're more price conscious, a 250GB drive will still be a huge improvement.

I actually get by with a 90gb SSD and am ok. But I would say get as big as you can

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »

I actually get by with a 90gb SSD and am ok. But I would say get as big as you can

The maxim holds true:

Bigger is better.

:D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular

The maxim holds true:

Bigger is better.

I don't think you can download longer than 4 hours.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Sumanai wrote: »

There's definitely something not right there. My pc is a toaster compared to yours and I played the game fine at 1080p with no major slowdowns.

I'll have to look into it when I get home from work. It's certainly an interesting problem. I don't think it's a driver issue since I only got the card like two months ago and updated then. I'll set the specs back up to 1080 and Ultra settings and test my way down from there while mousing on a flat surface. Maybe I'll try a wired mouse first and see if that changes things. The mouse DOES stutter now and then and I'm not sure if that's because it's wireless or what.

Fawst on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular

The maxim holds true:

Bigger is better.

It's true. My 750GB SSD brings all the boys to the yard.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Thanks @chris: waffle king for 100% Orange Juice! They are one of my favorite Japanese indie studios, they make the Suguri games among a few others. This is a digital board game that uses characters from all of their games, with lots of unlockables and stuff.

Thanks a bunch I really dig their games!

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Khildith hit me with the Dark Souls 2 Season Pass. <3<3<3 Thanks so much chief. Now you can carry me through coop dlc too!

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I just hit the asteroid base in Jedi Outcast that comes after Bespin, and all I have to say is yes
    yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    They've a lot of stormtroopers and four of Desaan's force users

You've got a lightsaber, force powers, and LUKE FUCKING SKYWALKER

Only thing better would be if the whole thing took place on hoth or Yavin and you had to leap from trees to take down/assume control of an At-At or three.

Fuck, now I want to dig out my Battlefront 2 PS2 disk and play through the campaign again. It was surprisingly well done.
    SR3 spoiler
    Next star wars game should have a lot of set pieces that have you screaming out, its LUCK FUCKING SKYWALKER in a manner similar to Burt FUCKING REYNOLDS
    Lowlander wrote: »
    shdwcaster overestimates me. I'm just a pretty good commander. He's the Supreme Commander.
    mhclv72yju7h.png

Seriously though, this guy. <3

You have to play through the campaign through each faction to open up that mission for that faction.

Cybran is best faction because you will then get one of each commander in the final mission.

How familiar with SC and Total Annihilation are you?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    I just hit the asteroid base in Jedi Outcast that comes after Bespin, and all I have to say is yes
    yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Only thing better would be if the whole thing took place on hoth or Yavin and you had to leap from trees to take down/assume control of an At-At or three.

Fuck, now I want to dig out my Battlefront 2 PS2 disk and play through the campaign again. It was surprisingly well done.
    Next star wars game should have a lot of set pieces that have you screaming out, its LUCK FUCKING SKYWALKER in a manner similar to Burt FUCKING REYNOLDS

Is this your first playthough of Jedi Outcast?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014

SR3 spoiler

The Star Wars games I have played are: Super Star Wars, Super Empire Strikes Back, Super Return of the Jedi, and the N64 one. Oh, and KOTOR.

I feel like I may have missed out on a few things.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular

The maxim holds true:

Bigger is better.

I don't think you can download longer than 4 hours.

god it took me way too long to get this

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

SR3 spoiler

The Star Wars games I have played are: Super Star Wars, Super Empire Strikes Back, Super Return of the Jedi, and the N64 one. Oh, and KOTOR.

Not much really

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    Started playing Long Live the Queen last night. That poor girl is going to suffer thanks to my ineptitude.

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    New Humble bundle is up:

$1 tier:
    Thief Gold
    Daikatana
    Mini Ninjas
    Anachronox
    Hitman: Codename 47
    HItman 2: Silent Assassin

BTA tier:
    Deus Ex: Invisible War
    Deus Ex: The Fall
    Hitman: Absolution
    Nosgoth Veteran Pack
    Battlestations: Midway
    More games coming soon

$14.99 tier:
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
    Just Cause 2
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    Deus Ex: GOTY
    Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »

SR3 spoiler

Not much really

Does this ever go on sale? Are all the games in there good ones?

Also, re: the recent Humble Bundle, if you like cute collectathons, magic, and ninjas, then Mini Ninjas is freaking awesome.

And if you don't like those three things what is wrong with you have you no heart?

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    Mini Ninjas is a great deal of adorable fun.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    New Humble bundle is up:

$1 tier:
    Daikatana

Gross. Rest of that looks pretty sweet.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    New Humble bundle is up:

$1 tier:
    Daikatana

Gross. Rest of that looks pretty sweet.

214697049_8rue7-L-2.jpg

I've always heard it was bad, but that's literally all I know about it. How bad is bad?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is hitting July 29th. No clue why they were being so coy with the date if it's that close.

If you don't know this game, I'd say it's simply the first real JRPG on Steam that is universally acclaimed (okay, discounting the Final Fantasies, I forgot them when writing). Carpe Fulgur (Recettear) are working the sequel for PC / PSP (not sure if they did any work on this as it was already translated for the PSP) . They are huge games, and there are several, but very few have hit outside Japan until the 1st/2nd games were announced for Steam.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    for $1 minimum you can find out

I already have most of the games in the bundle so I just picked up the base tier for Anachronox, I'll give Daikatana a try some time to see how bad it is

did Deus Ex: The Fall turn out to be any good?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Yeah, I might throw $1 in just to grab Anachronox.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.