As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Steam] obscures your vision, but the Aliens are still there.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    There aren't any guns or anything like that in Isolation, is there?

Amnesia becoming a big hit was kind of a "thank god" moment for me. We're finally getting to the point where we can have horror experiences where we can't just shoot the terror in the face.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    If we have to defend sleeping in your underpants, then this isn't a country I want to live in anymore.

Also, in terms of being in your undies and having that be germane to Alien, they're on a spaceship and they're a crew. Nobody has anything no one else hasn't seen already. From what I've read on Alien, it's heavily implied they're all banging each other anyway.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ripley is one of the original lady badasses of cinema. Also there's a part where she's running around in her space undies, so that movie has something for everyone.

Well, whatever it takes to get your attention I guess.

Alien: Isolation throws a completely gratuitous panty shot at the player in the first 30 seconds of the game, too.

Actually, I sorta figured the gratuitous stuff would be more up your alley. Aren't you the one with all those risque Skyrim mods?

Does it still count as risque if there's no clothing at all?
    There's just something hilarious about a shout that de-clothes anyone

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    If we have to defend sleeping in your underpants, then this isn't a country I want to live in anymore.

Also, in terms of being in your undies and having that be germane to Alien, they're on a spaceship and they're a crew. Nobody has anything no one else hasn't seen already. From what I've read on Alien, it's heavily implied they're all banging each other anyway.

Well, in Alien: Isolation they apparently barely even know each other, if at all. They sure aren't banging.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Madican wrote: »
    Ripley is one of the original lady badasses of cinema. Also there's a part where she's running around in her space undies, so that movie has something for everyone.

Alien: Isolation throws a completely gratuitous panty shot at the player in the first 30 seconds of the game, too.

Actually, I sorta figured the gratuitous stuff would be more up your alley. Aren't you the one with all those risque Skyrim mods?

I prefer classy fart shouting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rBkV-vRpY

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Alright, is anyone seriously, actually, really messing about with Artemis: Bridge simulator?
    It looks fun, but also...I'm in the Euro-zone and so the actual chance of 5 player co-op is low. Will anyone play it at times I might be awake?

It really does seem to be a niche game. I could see it being a lot of fun but it's kind of like those Murder mystery party games. I had a couple of them in the box but I never once played them because it was too hard to get people together.

Artemis is a party game. There's just enough game to be fun, but for me, the draw of Artemis is getting into the role of Bridge officers on a starship. I've had the most fun when everything is just going belly up and chaos reigns. Or when there's drinking involved.

I will say that the game is far better suited for a group play in the same room. But I can see no reason why it wouldn't work (and be hilarious) playing over internet with voice-chat. My experiences with the game were all before it was added to Steam. I know there's a few here in the thread that have put some time into Artemis.
    Heck, I've put forward the idea of using it as a Friday Night Gaming target once or twice. A server can host a max of 36 players (up to six ships of six stations each. Or more ships with fewer crew, by combining roles, it's not impossible to run a ship with 2-3 players.)

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I mean, I'm not upset about it or anything. It's just panties. And I'm one of the first to defend chainmail bikinis, jiggle physics, and all sorts of skimpy funwear in games. For reasons. But this just stuck out like a great big sore thumb and felt "off" somehow.

Emphasis?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Durante is apparently getting into the guts of the FF13 port so we might see it salvaged.

• Options

....This is a mod that exists?

I want to live in Patrick Stewart from Extras' fantasy world.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Durante is apparently getting into the guts of the FF13 port so we might see it salvaged.

This has potential.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    I mean, I'm not upset about it or anything. It's just panties. And I'm one of the first to defend chainmail bikinis, jiggle physics, and all sorts of skimpy funwear in games. For reasons. But this just stuck out like a great big sore thumb and felt "off" somehow.

Emphasis?

Yeah, I hadn't yet read your later post when I posted. If Ripley Jr. is just hanging around half naked in front of strangers...well, I don't judge people who do that, even if they're virtual people, but I can see that being unnecessary.

steam_sig.png

• Options

I want to live in Patrick Stewart from Extras' fantasy world.

Dibella's Compulsion or something like that. It reminds me of those old comedies where clothes would just rip away at random.

I use it on people who displease me.

• Options

Yes.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Hooray another perfectly good Risk of Rain run ruined (jeez that's a lot of r's) by them switching the button they always use to go to the next level to instead repeat a past level in attempts to get better equipment.

I appreciate the option, game, but don't switch a button that has had one use this entire game.

What's that? I should have stopped and read the text? Well game, you sort of instill that time is precious and suddenly decide to change it up on me.

URGH!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Did something bad happen with the port? Is it terrible?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Durante is a goddamn wizard.

For those who don't know, he was the one who took the barely-assed Dark Souls 1 PC port and made it beautiful in about 48 hours after release.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Drascin wrote: »

Installing the game decimates* hard drives.

In the Roman sense

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

In the Roman sense

It would only vigintimate mine.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

For those who don't know, he was the one who took the barely-assed Dark Souls 1 PC port and made it beautiful in about 48 hours after release.
    Crap, that reminds me, I was supposed to install DSfix. Maybe I'll do that and give DS another try.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

Yes.

There's probably a rule, with a number, similar to rule 34 but for games.

If you can imagine it, there's a mod for it.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options

steam_sig.png

• Options

Locked at 720p and the frame rate is strangely unstable for some (60 field, some reporting 30 battles). Downsampling via his GEDASATO or whatever it's called tool works but is obviously not ideal. Since it's capped it has some low resolution fonts which will need to be altered.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Yes, I know who Durante is. Just wondering what happened that required people to light up the DuranteSignal (it's kind of like a batsignal, but with a DLL icon).

EDIT: Ninja'd. I see. Well, the ESC thing is actually pretty common in Japanese games (I play a pile of shmups), but yes, it's unspeakably annoying.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

In the Roman sense

At last, a game that educates!

On the other hand, I have a 100Gb cap monthly on broadband usage. Someone please tell me that it just installs to 60Gb, and they've compressed the download in a decent way?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah the Escape thing is annoying but not unworkable. I'd probably not have trouble with it on a game I'm using a controller for but it can be incredibly annoying on a game that's on KBAM as it is sort of my instinctive pause / options menu button. I'd like to see the ability to bind it to a key I rarely use like Scroll Lock or the End key.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »

Yes.

If we're talking about mods for Bethesda games... that would be Rule 46DDD.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Antoshka wrote: »

In the Roman sense

At last, a game that educates!

On the other hand, I have a 100Gb cap monthly on broadband usage. Someone please tell me that it just installs to 60Gb, and they've compressed the download in a decent way?

Little less than 50 gigs, so nope.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Guess I won't be trading away my PS3 version of FFXIII anytime soon, then.

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    So I see Blood Bowl is on sale. What are people here's opinions of it? Worth a go if I was a massive fan of the board game back in the day? Do I get to shout ILLEGAL PROCEDURE at anyone?

I assume the Chaos edition is the one I want? Seems the same as Legendary with a few extra teams?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

Yes.

If we're talking about mods for Bethesda games... that would be Rule 46DDD.

Reading about Oblivion mods that had "Tentacle rope monsters", and seeing screenshots of said ropes, that changes a person.

It boggles the mind that somebody took time to make these things.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blood Bowl is at its' core, great. Just go in with the mindset that the devs/publisher are pretty greedy/shitty (which is why we have 3 barely different versions now) and it is incredibly rough around the edges.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The Blood Bowl UI is pretty garbage, and there are a couple of bugs that have persisted for years (and will never be fixed since they are working on Blood Bowl 2 now), but at its core it is Blood Bowl. If you loved the board game, you are highly likely to like the video game adaptation, though it will take a while to get used to the horribad interface and find all the options you want. The Chaos Edition would be the one to get, though, simply because it has the most team rosters available, including the Khorne team that they kind of just created on their own as far as I know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    xiears wrote: »
    So I see Blood Bowl is on sale. What are people here's opinions of it? Worth a go if I was a massive fan of the board game back in the day? Do I get to shout ILLEGAL PROCEDURE at anyone?

I assume the Chaos edition is the one I want? Seems the same as Legendary with a few extra teams?

Yes, the Chaos version.

... It's janky. It's a solid port of the rules, but there are lots and lots of bad decisions (e.g., if you have Hail Mary Pass on your QB, you must manually turn it off (every round?) or it will treat every pass like a Hail May pass). The documentation sucks. The AI in the single-player mode cheats outrageously and, IIRC, is actually harder on easier difficulties because they'll just screw things up at higher difficulties trying to get fancy, which will just teach you bad habits.

The developer doesn't patch the game, like, ever, and they never figured out what DLC is, so instead of having Blood Bowl the game and "Chaos Dwarves" or "Underworld" team DLC, they came out with three full versions of the game that can nevertheless play with each other.

You will roll double-skulls, and reroll them into double-skulls, but that's a feature.

The best part of BB is playing it against PA peeps; and we need to do that again soon.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Doing hypersleep in your underwear is how it's done in the Alien setting. Men go in just wearing undies too, Pixie!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I don't know how you manage to get the game running at 60fps, accounting for independent framerate and update tickrate, but somehow wasn't able to grok rendering at a different resolution, which is comparatively trivial, but goodness they've found a way. Heck, even Dark Souls didn't do the esc=quit, which is a sort of thing that is expected from japanese indie/doujin games, not some $gajillion bid budget production.

Stellar job on a four year old game SE. A+ would port again.

At least it's only $16 though.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Berylline wrote: »
    Ok, I've just played about an hour of Disney Princess: My Fairytale Adventure, so as requested by chuck steak and DaringDirk here are my thoughts. It is pretty cute, and I think a lot of little girls would have fun with it. There is a lot of pretty princess dress-up. You get to pick your character's appearance, hairstyle, dress (and colors), jewelry, etc. You start out with some basic options, but as you play, you can collect crystals, which let you buy new clothes, hairstyles, jewelry, furniture for your room, and flowers for your garden. (Yes, you have a room you can decorate and a magical flower garden to take care of.) I've already changed my hairstyle and dress at least three times. It's not just realistic colors, either. My current look includes bubblegum pink hair and purple eyes.

As for the game itself, you are the apprentice to the Fairy Godmother and oops, you've just turned the garden sprites into imps, which fly around, causing trouble. You can clear them out of an area by using your magic wand to zap them back into sprites. After clearing the initial area, you gain access to a few different fairytale worlds (Beauty & the Beast, Little Mermaid, Tangled, and Cinderella). The imps have also gotten into those worlds, and the princesses and other various townspeople need your help dealing with the havoc (since no one else can see the imps). This involves a lot of zapping imps with your wand, although it's interspersed with other little activities and games. Use your twirl magic near these trees to make them healthy again, catch the falling books, etc.

After about an hour, I'd gotten through the introductory section and the first chapter (out of two, I think?) in one of the princess's worlds. So, it seems like there's a pretty decent amount of game here, especially for the younger players. The biggest negative for me so far is your character's voice, which is remarkably nasal and whiny. You're also stuck moving around with the arrow keys (which is probably not a big deal for those not already used to using wasd for everything) and you can't mess around with the graphics at all. Of course, it's a game aimed at younger players, so they probably don't want to offer too many options which might get confusing for kids who don't really know what they're changing.

A few screenshots:
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=324397694
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=324397791
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=324397880

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! Also, thanks again to Viking for the gift of this game! <3

Thanks! This sounds like it could be a good game to introduce her to mouse and keyboard controls, or if she can't figure out the movement, would it be viable for me to move around and her to use the mouse to click stuff? All of the customization stuff she would definitely be into though. I'll probably end up getting this as soon as it is on sale.

You actually barely use the mouse at all, apart from some of the mini-games. M is your magic wand key and N is your twirl magic key. Spacebar is your jump and interact-with-things key. Still, you could probably do it the same way where you move around and she uses the magic.
    an_alt wrote: »
    There is a lot of pretty princess dress-up. You get to pick your character's appearance, hairstyle, dress (and colors), jewelry, etc. You start out with some basic options, but as you play, you can collect crystals, which let you buy new clothes, hairstyles, jewelry, furniture for your room, and flowers for your garden.

Can you can accessorize too?

*Super cute bunny backpack pic that will never cease to be adorable*

Yes! You can get jewelry, and bows, and tiaras, too! I spent all of my crystals on dresses, but I will definitely pick up a tiara next.

@Berylline, is it KBAM only, no gamepad support?

Edit: Also, WHAT THE HELL DAMN THREAD!?! Yesterday I worked all day, didn't catch up with the thread, and this morning there were 280 new damn posts! Just, wow.

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Okay, I've never once picked up on that on any viewing of the movie... am I just being thick?

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Stellar job on a four year old game SE. A+ would port again.

At least it's only $16 though.

Largely my thought on it, plus I may actually finish it on PC - when I try play anything on my PS3, the disc just turns into Valkyria Chronicles. It's weird, but it keeps happening.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Sidebar: CDKeys have Alien: Isolation for £20.99 here, which I believe is about $30 USD. They do a 5% discount thing from liking them on Facebook, dragging it down to £20 (~$28). Bought stuff off them before, and it all works as expected - and I believe Isolation is Steamworks, so you're all good Steamwise.

Hopefully useful to someone!

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    xiears wrote: »

Yes, the Chaos version.

... It's janky. It's a solid port of the rules, but there are lots and lots of bad decisions (e.g., if you have Hail Mary Pass on your QB, you must manually turn it off (every round?) or it will treat every pass like a Hail May pass). The documentation sucks. The AI in the single-player mode cheats outrageously and, IIRC, is actually harder on easier difficulties because they'll just screw things up at higher difficulties trying to get fancy, which will just teach you bad habits.

The developer doesn't patch the game, like, ever, and they never figured out what DLC is, so instead of having Blood Bowl the game and "Chaos Dwarves" or "Underworld" team DLC, they came out with three full versions of the game that can nevertheless play with each other.

You will roll double-skulls, and reroll them into double-skulls, but that's a feature.

The best part of BB is playing it against PA peeps; and we need to do that again soon.

I would be so happy if a bigger, more supportive, not confused on what DLC is, non-janky company go ahold of the Blood Bowl license. Then I would want them to take the Blood Bowl rules and build them into a real time game, more like Madden, that would have an option to change to turn based play. At that point, I would disregard that I own the old Blood Bowl (and not two newer versions...or do I have the middle one? I actually don't know.) and play the newer, better, real-time (or turn based) version all the time.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
This discussion has been closed.