As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – Too Many Breeches

BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the DragonRegistered User regular
edited December 2014 in Games and Technology
7c9jifr82ejg.png

FAQ:

Q: What platforms are available?
A: PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, and PS4.

Q: Do PC users need to use Origin?
A: Yup, sorry.

Q: What's the deal with multiplayer?
A: Inquisition has a four-person multiplayer campaign that is completely separate from the single-player campaign. It's like a mash-up of a dungeon crawler and the ME3 multiplayer.

Q: How will the game import my world state?
A: The Dragon Age Keep lets you configure your world state to your liking, and then import it into Inquisition. All you need is an Origin account and an internet connection.

Q: How can I find people to play multiplayer with?
A: Add your info to the list, and then check out other players.

Q: Something is broken! How do I fix it?
A: First, check out the EA help page. Specifically, here is a thread with a bunch of troubleshooting tips and work arounds. If nothing is working, feel free to ask for help in this thread.

Q: The Origin achievement sound is annoying. How do I fix it?
A: Here is a work around.

Q: How does healing work?
A: There isn't really a healing specialization in the game. Instead, you have to use a limited number of potions to regain health. Those potions are automatically restored when you rest at a camp or your base. You can equip specific gear that will help you heal, and the Knight-Enchanter specialization does offer a very limited heal spell.

Q: How do I mitigate damage?
A: There are two systems that act as a sponge for enemy damage. Mages can cast a spell called barrier, and Warriors can accumulate guard a number of ways. These effectively prevent your main pool of HP from being depleted.

Q: Where do I find Tier 3 Schematics?
A: Armor schematics can be purchased in the Hissing Wastes. Weapon schematics can be purchased in Emprise du Lion (after you take over the keep).

Q: How do combos work?
A: Here's a good overview to help explain the intricacies.

Minimum PC Specs:
  • Processor (AMD): Quad core @ 2.5 GHz
  • Processor (Intel): Quad core @ 2.0 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB
  • Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 4870
  • Graphics Card (NVIDIA): GeForce 8800 GT
  • Graphics Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Drive: 26 GB
  • DirectX: 10
  • Internet: 512 kbps up and down

Recommended PC Specs:
  • Processor (AMD): Six core @ 3.2 GHz
  • Processor (Intel): Quad core @ 3.0 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB
  • Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270
  • Graphics Card (NVIDIA): GeForce GTX 660
  • Graphics Memory: 2 GB
  • Hard Drive: 26 GB
  • DirectX: 11
  • Internet: 1 Mbps up and down

Trailers:
Your companions:
  • Blackwall (Love interest for female Inquisitors)
  • Sera (Love interest for female Inquisitors)
  • Solas (Love interest for elven female Inquisitors)
  • Dorian (Love interest for male Inquisitors)
  • Cassandra (Love interest for male Inquisitors)
  • Iron Bull (Love interest for both male and female Inquisitors)
  • Cole (No romance available)
  • Vivienne (No romance available)
  • Varric (No romance available)

Your advisors:
  • Cullen (Love interest for human and elven female Inquisitors)
  • Josephine (Love interest for both male and female Inquisitors)
  • Leliana (No romance available)

Playable races:
Warrior Specializations:
Rogue Specializations:
Mage Specializations:

Bassguy on

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    New Thread, because breeches!

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So there's no way to salvage equipment into materials in the SINGLE player game, right?

also holy shit hinterlands you are huge

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So there's no way to salvage equipment into materials in the SINGLE player game, right?

also holy shit hinterlands you are huge
    To the best of my knowledge, "destroy" doesn't salvage anything — no.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

also holy shit hinterlands the game, you are huge

Had to update that. Its not just the Hinterlands. All major areas are huge.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Fallow marshes is my nemesis. Things in water. Want to loot things in water.
    Touch water.
    AUGH NO NO GO AWAY

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Because this game is so large, and there's so much to do, it feels like there is less party banter.

I'm sure there is a ton of banter in there — probably more than in any DA game before. It's just spread thinner than the previous games, so I feel like there is less of it.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Quads.

wait, wrong franchise

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Can those respec necklaces be used on the companion characters as well?
    Feel like I need to do some skill reorganizing on everyone.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Can those respec necklaces be used on the companion characters as well?
    Feel like I need to do some skill reorganizing one everyone.
    Yup.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, I just restarted as a red headed elven rogue lass.

Do I ride the pull or symmetrical dock with well-intentioned crazy?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    There is something I could really really use someone's help with. Very minor spoiler.
    There is supposedly an area called Cradle of Sulevin that can be unlocked by reading a book in Emprise De Leon. The only description I have been able to find on the matter is as follows:
    The problem is finding the damn book...
    It's on a freaking cliff above the first camp in emprise there was a tent nearby .... it didn't even looked important and then "boom" area unlocked ....I forgot where I got it cause I wasn't paying attantion then I hope I can find it again later .

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I have tried searching far up into the cliffs of the first two camps in emprise, but to no success.
    And on a similar subject, if anyone has found any higher quality T3 schematics for mage equipment I'd be super interested to know where.

Vic on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I just got through Wicked Hearts, and honestly this game is great, but there's a lot of places where it sucks.

For example, why the hell is AI enabled in tactical view? If I'm in tactical control I don't want people popping off their abilities and I don't want to go into a menu and disable all their shit for tough fights and then go back for casual patrol murders. Abilities go off too fast to easily cancel and it's just ugh. Luckily I don't need tac view with my Reaver Inquisitor, but damn.

Also, the Friendship/Rivalry system in DA2 was perfect, why would they step back from that? Having rivals in the Inquisition would be really cool, creating different factions that respect your authority in varying amounts. I guess it would be more work but the obfuscated bullshit is infuriating and I don't feel like the approval mechanic means anything.

The War Room is a mess, no zoom option makes it REALLY HARD to see some shit.

And the areas are too big. It's nice to be able to explore, but the Hinterlands are insane and there's other areas that are just as big. When you fill that space with mostly procedurally generated content and non-cinematic conversations it doesn't feel good.

Speaking of non-cinematic conversations, they suck. I like them for merchants and the generic investigation chats with followers, and the banter responses are fantastic, but it removes a lot of impact for other conversations in the world when you can't see faces.

The story sections of this game are amazing, and I love the combat and multiplayer, but the open world stuff just doesn't have a major impact for me.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So, about the tier 3 schematics that you can apparently get after the ball.

Where, how?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I just got through Wicked Hearts, and honestly this game is great, but there's a lot of places where it sucks.

For example, why the hell is AI enabled in tactical view? If I'm in tactical control I don't want people popping off their abilities and I don't want to go into a menu and disable all their shit for tough fights and then go back for casual patrol murders. Abilities go off too fast to easily cancel and it's just ugh. Luckily I don't need tac view with my Reaver Inquisitor, but damn.

Also, the Friendship/Rivalry system in DA2 was perfect, why would they step back from that? Having rivals in the Inquisition would be really cool, creating different factions that respect your authority in varying amounts. I guess it would be more work but the obfuscated bullshit is infuriating and I don't feel like the approval mechanic means anything.

The War Room is a mess, no zoom option makes it REALLY HARD to see some shit.

And the areas are too big. It's nice to be able to explore, but the Hinterlands are insane and there's other areas that are just as big. When you fill that space with mostly procedurally generated content and non-cinematic conversations it doesn't feel good.

Speaking of non-cinematic conversations, they suck. I like them for merchants and the generic investigation chats with followers, and the banter responses are fantastic, but it removes a lot of impact for other conversations in the world when you can't see faces.

The story sections of this game are amazing, and I love the combat and multiplayer, but the open world stuff just doesn't have a major impact for me.

they could have made this so much better with a few changes

- tactical camera cursor is a cursor, like with your mouse, and not a physical goddamned object tethered to the ground
    - a toggle ai button
    - let you zoom out

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    ok so Bianca

is it supposed to be doing half the damage compared to everybody else in my party? I've found a bunch of upgrades for it but it's still doing like 60dps when errybody else is up over 100 now

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Well, those more cinematic scenes cost more time/money probably why you don't get them for scenes where a lady asks you to get her 10 bear hides.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    oh and they should let us que abilities in tactical view
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Well, those more cinematic scenes cost more time/money probably why you don't get them for scenes where a lady asks you to get her 10 bear hides.

I don't really see how

making the camera show your character's face isn't that big a deal, both you and the npc already have lipsynched dialogue

override367 on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, about the tier 3 schematics that you can apparently get after the ball.

Where, how?
    Most of the weapon schematics can be bought in Emprise De Leon, after you retake the red templar keep in the southwest part of that zone.

Most of the armor schematics can be bought in the Hissing Waste from a dog merchant that lives down in a ravine in the mid-west part of the zone.

Vic on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ok so Bianca

is it supposed to be doing half the damage compared to everybody else in my party? I've found a bunch of upgrades for it but it's still doing like 60dps when errybody else is up over 100 now

Look for upgrades called Bianca arms.

I think level 3 puts it at 90 dps or so.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I'm starting to feel like the game is too big.

I can't decide if i would be happier with a game that was 20 hours or less so I could run multiple playthroughs or not.

I played my first character about 12 hours before I thought it'd be cool to see what a different character would play like. I've gone 8 hours with that second character and now I'm thinking about my third and I haven't finished the game with any character yet.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options

Yup but it sure doesn't help me care about the shitty quest for 10 bear hides. Too many shitty quests, not enough of the engaging cinematic action. The open world could stand to be toned down a tad.

• Options

Yup but it sure doesn't help me care about the shitty quest for 10 bear hides. Too many shitty quests, not enough of the engaging cinematic action. The open world could stand to be toned down a tad.

I feel like Dragon Age Origins did a better job of making me care about side quests

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

...You know you can just beeline through the story. The amount of power you need is actually quite small compared to how much you accumulate(hell, I'm sitting on 200 power right now myself and only need 40).

I mean I just don't understand complaining about completely optional content.

oh and they should let us que abilities in tactical view

I don't really see how

making the camera show your character's face isn't that big a deal, both you and the npc already have lipsynched dialogue

I don't know the specifics of it. But Mike Laidlaw pretty much said that when he was being interviewed. Cinematics scenes = higher budget. And going on that interview Gaider posts a week ago they measure budget by quite a few factors(time and money being the main ones).

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    ok so Bianca

Look for upgrades called Bianca arms.

I think level 3 puts it at 90 dps or so.
    ya I have level 2 but still....

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    OK, I know I've recruited some unusual allies for the Inquisition, but I swear I'm not responsible for this one:

hy9jpt02786c.jpg

Had an entire conversation with Cullen as the Headless Footwoman here waved her sword around.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

...You know you can just beeline through the story. The amount of power you need is actually quite small compared to how much you accumulate(hell, I'm sitting on 200 power right now myself and only need 40).

It being optional doesn't make it any less bad. I'd rather those resources be put to use elsewhere.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Man, the game keeps throwing plot gut-punches at me. Spoilers for after "What Pride Had Wrought":
    Oh hey Flemeth is an Elven Goddess, Morrigan has to do everything she says, and also she took the Old God soul. At least that kid will have a decent life now...maybe?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Bassguy wrote: »

It being optional doesn't make is any less bad. I'd rather those resources be put to use elsewhere.

Towards what exactly?

I ask because people always use that "resources elsewhere" line but I wonder where you feel these resources should have gone.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

It being optional doesn't make is any less bad. I'd rather those resources be put to use elsewhere.

Bad content is bad content, optional or not. And when you front load a huge pile of bad content into the Hinterlands it provides an awful experience for a lot of players that is not representative of the game at large.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    ok so Bianca

I found Bianca Arms IV way early and she was doing 120 dps while all the other bows were at 70 dps. I can see how it would suck if you don't find good upgrades though. If anybody is curious where I found it, it was
    some forest area with lvl 16 giants and rhinos with the arms being in a chest right there in the open.
    No idea how random loot is, I heard the dragons all have fixed loot so maybe some chests do as well.

Mirkel on
  • Options

Towards what exactly?

I ask because people always use that "resources elsewhere" line but I wonder where you feel these resources should have gone.
    Anything? There are people who had to make that really boring content. If I had my druthers, they would instead be working on content that wasn't boring. Writing/designing a quest with meaning or depth. Make existing content better instead of populating the world with garbage?

• Options

Bad content is bad content, optional or not. And when you front load a huge pile of bad content into the Hinterlands it provides an awful experience for a lot of players that is not representative of the game at large.

That's the thing though and maybe its because I'm used to playing open world games where you do a lot of wandering but I'm not sure exactly what's bad about it compared to say these kinds of quest in other games.

• Options

Towards what exactly?

Less bear ass quests and more cinematic conversations, obviously.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I feel like the biggest issue for me with bad content is just collection quest.

I have finished one set of shards out of some madness on the Storm Coast.

But outside of that I tend to only do quests who have a story, written or otherwise.

One of the biggest things I have learned from lots of Skyrim is to be choosy in open world style games. And DA:I is semi-open world. So just play what you want, don't let the ocd take you over.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Meh, dragons ended up dissapointing after the first one. Spoilers if someone doesn't want to read it I guess.
    Just soloed the three emprise de lyons dragons on my mage knight-enchanterquisitor. Started at 21, ended up at 22 after killing the last one. They really really needed to make each dragon fight unique, instead of making them all fit the same mold. I mean, soloing them is purely because knight enchanter is hilariously broken (Practically infinite healing+invulnerability for big things) while dealing decent damage. But in general all the dragons tended to do the same things, apart from not be as interesting as the first one in hinterlands. At least it retreated as the fight wore on, instead of just constantly coming back for more.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Towards what exactly?

Anything? There are people who had to make that really boring content. If I had my druthers, they would instead be working on content that wasn't boring. Writing/designing a quest with meaning or depth. Make existing content better instead of populating the world with garbage?

But...the game...has a lot of good content. I mean the story quest are pretty great, so are the companions, and even like some of the books lying around.

Towards what exactly?

Less bear ass quests and more cinematic conversations, obviously.

Well...the thing I'm feeling is that you all kind of more want it to be a game that it wasn't trying to be.

Sounds like you want something closer to the way say Mass Effect is built(which honestly had its fair amount of fetch quests they were just mixed with the story stuff). Which isn't bad, I mean obviously I like both games, but I feel this game was going for something a bit different.

More open world games will always have filler stuff because you need to fill out a setting and not everything you do in that setting is going to be this big thing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I just recruited Iron Bull. We talked about his history. My Herald responded with, and I am literally quoting here:

"That's uh... Damn."

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I love huge areas with collecting quests and what not. The hinterlands are awesome.

I hate cinematic conversations. I absoklutely hate the whole aspect of dialogue in this game; there's way way way too much talking. They should have cut out all the dialogue and just added 5 more huge areas full of collection quests.

• Options

Towards what exactly?

But...the game...has a lot of good content. I mean the story quest are pretty great, so are the companions, and even like some of the books lying around.
    Right, so why not spend your limited budget (Time/Humans/Money) on something not boring and half-hearted?

Better yet, how about they make less throw-away content, and use that extra time/humans/money to properly QA their game?

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Meh, dragons ended up dissapointing after the first one. Spoilers if someone doesn't want to read it I guess.
    Just soloed the three emprise de lyons dragons on my mage knight-enchanterquisitor. Started at 21, ended up at 22 after killing the last one. They really really needed to make each dragon fight unique, instead of making them all fit the same mold. I mean, soloing them is purely because knight enchanter is hilariously broken (Practically infinite healing+invulnerability for big things) while dealing decent damage. But in general all the dragons tended to do the same things, apart from not be as interesting as the first one in hinterlands. At least it retreated as the fight wore on, instead of just constantly coming back for more.

Yeah, this is something I've noticed.

I thought
    Dragons would have different phases like the first one did. Most of them just tend to stay grounded going through their basic move list.

I would have loved if they added a few more gimmicks to each fight.

This discussion has been closed.