Options

Venture Bros: RADIANT IS THE BLOOD OF THE BABOON HEART

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Bum Rush was a two or three scene character.

No I don't.
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Also...maybe it seemed a bit like they are aiming to make doc a little more of a hero then a failure this time around? It's like they are lifting him up in some ways. he showed pride at dean's solution, he didnt respond to JJ's condition as a complete dick, he took the loss of his home with a fair amount of calm dispite the snark.
    It's been shown multiple times that, deep down, Rusty cares about his brother.
    He ordered Brock to stand down when JJ failed to kill him, and he turned down Killinger's offer to join the Guild and arch JJ despite it meaning Rusty would have had a successful company.

He did, however, leave JJ and all his guests to die when Scaramantula's self destruct sequence kicked on.

He even cracked wise about "he's family" as they jetted to safety.

Fortunately for everyone at the party, Prof. impossible was suicidal at the time.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Just watched the special...really need to rewatch Season 5.
    I'd completely forgotten Dr. Mrs. The Monarch was on the council. She replaced some robot that died at a night club and might have been the Monarch's father or something, right?

Also, have we seen Billy Quizboy's mother before? I didn't remember her at all.

Speaking of Billy Quizboy, where the hell was Pete White? I don't think he was even mentioned (though you do see him sitting in the crowd in the online-only epilogue, he just wasn't in the episode itself).

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Also...maybe it seemed a bit like they are aiming to make doc a little more of a hero then a failure this time around? It's like they are lifting him up in some ways. he showed pride at dean's solution, he didnt respond to JJ's condition as a complete dick, he took the loss of his home with a fair amount of calm dispite the snark.
    He ordered Brock to stand down when JJ failed to kill him, and he turned down Killinger's offer to join the Guild and arch JJ despite it meaning Rusty would have had a successful company.

He did, however, leave JJ and all his guests to die when Scaramantula's self destruct sequence kicked on.

Fortunately for everyone at the party, Prof. impossible was suicidal at the time.

I may be forgetting, but I thought they left before anything was self-destructing - they figured out a fight was gonna happen and just bailed before it happened.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I'd completely forgotten Dr. Mrs. The Monarch was on the council. She replaced some robot that died at a night club and might have been the Monarch's father or something, right?

Speaking of Billy Quizboy, where the hell was Pete White? I don't think he was even mentioned (though you do see him sitting in the crowd in the online-only epilogue, he just wasn't in the episode itself).
    Billy was invited so he could examine JJ. There wasn't really a reason to invite Pete.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

We have a few times. She use to be a costumed femm fatale, Action Man was in the same retirment home as her and they rekindled an old...thing they had.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    JayKaos wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

I may be forgetting, but I thought they left before anything was self-destructing - they figured out a fight was gonna happen and just bailed before it happened.

Mmmmmmaybe? I seem to recall the countdown started before they hopped on the jet.

sarukun on
  • Options

yeah, Venturo or something. That episode was really wonderful, the secret underground nightclub for villains in the middle of the desert. The club owner is referenced briefly at the beginning of the special when all the council men are being rubbed out, he drinks the melty drink.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I love how preternaturally lucky The Monarch is. The dude catches break after break after break.

It's fun to sit down and really think about how many times he should've died.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    watching Bot Seeks Bot
    Billy pretending to be a ventriloquist dummy

Jesus Christ, I'm dying

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Did they ever address dr venture getting crushed at the end of last season

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    Did they ever address dr venture getting crushed at the end of last season

That wasn't the end of the season, there was an episode after that.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    There was??

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Only down side to this episode was the lack of explaining why gary was still working for the monarch.

I am 100% sure that this is all intentional. Rusty wouldn't be remorseful of the compound being destroyed at all, aside from his visible frustration, as always, with the basic inconvenience of the events that happen in his life. The Venture compound was Rusty's lifelong prison of misery and failure; he has, quite literally, not a single happy memory of that place, all of it capped by a colossal statue of a father he hates for abandoning him both in life and death looming over him daily. Every major plot movement for a character that started at the Venture compound happened because they either left it or part of it was destroyed (Brock quitting, the clones being destroyed, Dean burning his learning bed, Trianna moving away) and for all the characters that entered it like Orpheus and Hatred their presence in the compound turns it into their personal prison of failure.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    There was??

Yeah.
    The Monarch captures Doc. Hatred thinks Doc is dead and sends Dean to live with Colonel Gentleman and Hank with the Actionman.

• Options
    ahahah holy shit
    Treister actually IS a hulk

that is fantastic

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh my God

that fucking epilogue
    I completely lost it at the part with Helper.

Also, holy shit, his bro really did right by him.

I'm really glad the two of them made peace at the end.

That last Go Team Venture nearly teared me up.

JP and DH really knocked it out of the park.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Bucketman wrote: »

We have a few times. She use to be a costumed femm fatale, Action Man was in the same retirment home as her and they rekindled an old...thing they had.

When do we find out she was a femme fatale before this episode? I completely missed that.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    finally watched this

holy hell, this was funny

though I didn't really understand
    why the investors started fighting Killinger

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    finally watched this

Killinger is implied to be a former investor (or the same kind of ... whatever that the investors are, and he plotted the fall of the Guild, the heist on Gargantua 2 , and everything in order to screw with whatever the Investors were planning

• Options
    finally watched this

Killinger is implied to be a former investor (or the same kind of ... whatever that the investors are, and he plotted the fall of the Guild, the heist on Gargantua 2 , and everything in order to screw with whatever the Investors were planning
    I believe they're intended to be Vampires, based on Hunter not being able to see them on his viewscreen (can't be recorded), and their line about "we tend not to go where we're uninvited" (can't enter a building without being welcomed)

• Options
    The first episode they were in, though, Billy thought they were vampires and Monstroso laughed at him - also, Killinger says something about "We were supposed to guide these people", which doesn't sound very vampire-y.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Investor Spoilers
    The first episode they were in, though, Billy thought they were vampires and Monstroso laughed at him - also, Killinger says something about "We were supposed to guide these people", which doesn't sound very vampire-y.
    I thought the "were supposed to guide them" was a LOTR reference in the struggle between Gandalf and Suramon.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Investor Spoilers
    I thought the "were supposed to guide them" was a LOTR reference in the struggle between Gandalf and Suramon.
    At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a reference and what they actually are. They're the Venture version of the Istari. And Killinger is this world's Gandalf.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So, Season 6...
    With how the special ended, I'm guessing that the masked murderer from that one trailer is going to end up being the Monarch.

He generally doesn't react well to being shut down, and he's going to flip his shit from being shot down by Killinger.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I was a little disappointed that Killinger's background was (slightly) elucidated. I was perfectly happy with him just being the mysterious Mary Poppins of evil.

It didn't diminish the overall awesomeness of the special, though.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So right now the council of 13 consists of..

Dr Mrs the Monarch
    Killinger
    guild help desk guy1
    guild help desk guy2
    phantom limb
    Underbite
    Fat chance? (did he teleport back?)
    henchman 21 (I guess?)

Who am i missing? impossible wasnt on the meteor, monarch was told 'not you', we didnt seen radical left, zeros dead, 3 members of the original council still alive are now probably considered traitors for going to OSI, 1 is 'out'.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    also, pour one out for
    Zero. brutal way to go, even by Samson standards

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Phineas Phage told Dr. Mrs. The Monarch to invite him to whatever project she was working on next, so presumably he'll be back in when she convinces him.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Dr Mrs the Monarch
    Killinger
    guild help desk guy1
    guild help desk guy2
    phantom limb
    Underbite
    henchman 21 (I guess?)

Who am i missing? impossible wasnt on the meteor, monarch was told 'not you', we didnt seen radical left, zeros dead, 3 members of the original council still alive are now probably considered traitors for going to OSI, 1 is 'out'.

Help Desk guys are Watch and Ward. We don't know who is who.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

Dr Mrs the Monarch
    Killinger
    guild help desk guy1
    guild help desk guy2
    phantom limb
    Underbite
    henchman 21 (I guess?)

Fat Chance did not teleport back, as he can only send or pull things. Also he was probably still unconscious as he didn't send everyone from the Revenge Society and those that did get sent fell out instead of stepping out

Ünderbeiht was nowhere to be seen in the last scene; Phantom Limb came through the portal with Radical Left

• Options
    rewatching the ep, got a question
    when Mrs. The Monarch was choking on the gas, did Watch/Ward say they're The Monarch or did I just mishear?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Some more random musing re: the special...
    I wonder if the Investor's terms with JJ *was* the whole "leave the company and everything to your brother" thing from the will. Since Doc is... well, Doc, and letting your legacy come crashing down instead sure seems fairly Faustian... until the Investors would step in to him and offer him a deal to save it.

JJ, of course, would agree to it since he's idealistic and believes Doc could actually step up to the plate and do it with a good push.

They weren't expecting to get destroyed by Killinger, though.

Also, I wonder if Killinger doesn't want Monarch on the Council because he would be wasted there. The Monarch would *hate* all the bureaucracy that it'd actually entail and wouldn't have time for his actual arching of the Ventures. Dr. Mrs. The Monarch has demonstrated that she *can* handle all the busy-work and legalese it requires.

Re: the Guild Veterans, I think they'll be okay. They were sick of Not-Bowie's shit, and wouldn't stand for what he was doing. With how Killinger was talking about "being true to yourself", I think he'd be okay with working with the OSI to take out the threat that was dragging the Guild down.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    rewatching the ep, got a question
    when Mrs. The Monarch was choking on the gas, did Watch/Ward say they're The Monarch or did I just mishear?
    I think they were saying "Mrs. The Monarch" and it sounded like "This is the Monarch"

• Options
    I've wanted a scene like the one between Rusty and Dean for a while now

both of them actually doing something well together is a rare moment of victory

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Radical Left was on the meteor(orid) at the end. The rest of the Revenge Society (sans Limb) were not present.
    The new Council will probably be:

Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
    Watch
    Ward
    Phantom Limb
    Radical Left
    Dragoon
    Red Mantle
    Dr. Z
    Phineas Phage
    Baron Ünderbheit
    Fat Chance
    MAYBE Killinger, but I'm skeptical considering he told the Investors that they weren't supposed to meddle in the affairs of morals

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    question
    Was the deal between Jonas Jr. and the investors ever explained?

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    pretty sure the deal with the investors allowed them to put in things that gave the Sovereign access to the shield and the core, though it's never actually stated

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Some more random musing re: the special...
    I wonder if the Investor's terms with JJ *was* the whole "leave the company and everything to your brother" thing from the will. Since Doc is... well, Doc, and letting your legacy come crashing down instead sure seems fairly Faustian... until the Investors would step in to him and offer him a deal to save it.

JJ, of course, would agree to it since he's idealistic and believes Doc could actually step up to the plate and do it with a good push.

They weren't expecting to get destroyed by Killinger, though.

Also, I wonder if Killinger doesn't want Monarch on the Council because he would be wasted there. The Monarch would *hate* all the bureaucracy that it'd actually entail and wouldn't have time for his actual arching of the Ventures. Dr. Mrs. The Monarch has demonstrated that she *can* handle all the busy-work and legalese it requires.

Re: the Guild Veterans, I think they'll be okay. They were sick of Not-Bowie's shit, and wouldn't stand for what he was doing. With how Killinger was talking about "being true to yourself", I think he'd be okay with working with the OSI to take out the threat that was dragging the Guild down.

I'm more likely to believe that the investors were doing something about JJ's condition. His little body may be dead but I wouldnt be shocked if his memories end up in a giant robot somewhere in season 6.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Investors
    I didn't get the impression they'd actually completed their deal with JJ, seemed like they were still negotiating when Gargantua 2 came under attack, so it never got completed.