Options

Bad "Food" Thread: We Talk About The Garbage We Put Inside Us

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The most efficient insects for nutrition:mass:cleanliness are actually roaches

I already farm them for my beardie. May have to toss some in the oven once I have a few full-size adults to spare.

How crunchy are they? This is very important.

Also, cleanliness meaning they're clean and neat creatures?

The reason roaches are becoming so immensely popular over crickets is because they're actually closer to chewy than crunchy - ever step on the "German" roach (one of only a couple species that actually is a human pest, and not very closely related to the dubias or hissers kept as pets)? Them fuckers almost bounce off the bottom of your shoe. Means less indigestible chitin, and more protein. They also efficiently metabolize food into protein, which is a plus.

And yeah, roaches actually clean themselves and only extrude a small amount of dry waste - it can be an allergen if it gets in a home air system, which is the real concern of getting roaches in your home. They don't carry disease, usually. In short, roaches are a sign that you're living in filth and leaving something behind for them to eat, and not the other way around. In contrast, crickets produce so much waste that when we tried breeding them a few years ago, their cardboard actually composted when we went on vacation for a week.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I had lunch at Nando's yesterday.

I had the chicken breast wrap.
    Served with fresh green leaf lettuce, peppery sweet chilli jam and tangy yogurt sauce. Served with your choice of regular side.
    and the PERi chips.

It was pretty good! The chips were a little over seasoned, in my opinion.

Next time I'll go for the hotter version of whatever I get. I ended up with medium because I didn't realize I could specify how hot I wanted it.

mcp on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I already farm them for my beardie. May have to toss some in the oven once I have a few full-size adults to spare.

The reason roaches are becoming so immensely popular over crickets is because they're actually closer to chewy than crunchy - ever step on the "German" roach (one of only a couple species that actually is a human pest, and not very closely related to the dubias or hissers kept as pets)? Them fuckers almost bounce off the bottom of your shoe. Means less indigestible chitin, and more protein. They also efficiently metabolize food into protein, which is a plus.

And yeah, roaches actually clean themselves and only extrude a small amount of dry waste - it can be an allergen if it gets in a home air system, which is the real concern of getting roaches in your home. They don't carry disease, usually. In short, roaches are a sign that you're living in filth and leaving something behind for them to eat, and not the other way around. In contrast, crickets produce so much waste that when we tried breeding them a few years ago, their cardboard actually composted when we went on vacation for a week.

Biggest danger with roaches is when they die their bodies decompose into dust. Too much of that dust leads to the aptly-named roach lung and it is not fun.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Nando's is rad

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Was it cheeky?
    Nando's is rad

But is it cheeky?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Ohhhh the roaches are CHEWY and not crunchy. Well that makes all the difference!!! Not.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Look, if you're going to try to feed me bugs, at least have the decency to call them "hot dogs."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    If you're going to feed me bugs make sure I don't know what they are. Lobster is an exception, though not much of one because like crab it's too much work to get the meat.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Lobster is not a bug.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I like Nando's so much that I will strip a platter of their food down to nothing but the hardest points of bone

This is not an exaggeration. My friends were terrified

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Lobster is not a bug.

Yeah

If it was a bug I might be willing to eat it

• Options
    Insects are classified within Crustacea now

Joke's on all y'all (even if they're not part of Malacostraca, the clade everyone thinks of immediately when you say crustacean)

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I've tried seasoned cooked crickets. crunchy. about like a flavored potato chip, minus the fried potato flavor.

They weren't bad at all, as long as you didn't get hung up about what they were, but I wouldn't buy them again. They weren't good enough to buy again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    If it has more than four legs I ain't gonna eat it.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    The point is lobsters and shrimp look like bugs.

So if you're willing to eat lobster but not, let's say, a roach, well that just makes you a terrestrialist.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    GUYS

STOP TALKING ABOUT BUGS

I'VE GOT IMPORTANT NEWS

CRYSTAL PEPSI IS MOST LIKELY COMING BACK

Crystal-Pepsi-Return.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

GIMME THAT SHIT!

No soda rules gonna get broken.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Wait isn't that the Pepsi that was almost-universally panned as being shit?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

It is definitely the pepsi that completely flopped and stopped being sold within like a year of being released

I dunno if it actually tasted bad because it is just pepsi without food coloring, but people certainly didn't want to buy it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Chinese buffet for lunch, yay

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bah, wake me up when New Coke makes a comeback.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

It is definitely the pepsi that completely flopped and stopped being sold within like a year of being released

I dunno if it actually tasted bad because it is just pepsi without food coloring, but people certainly didn't want to buy it

I don't think it was so much that it taste bad, but that people weren't responding well to a clear cola. I think that the market is much more accepting of that now, considering people are pretty conscious about artificial/caramel color.

• Options
    I did not realize that crystal pepsi was caffiene free.

• Options
    So...carbonated water?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Tox wrote: »
    So...carbonated water?

I mean, it was supposed to taste like Pepsi, just sans caffeine and caramel color, basically. I'm sure they had to remove/modify some other things to get it really clear.

jgeis on
  • Options
    It's just gonna turn brown again when I put whiskey in it.

• Options
    You'd think it'd at least taste like caffeine free pepsi, which is pretty decent.

• Options
    Unless the can's clear too I'm not gonna notice a soda's color much.

• Options
    Note, I have never actually tried Crystal Pepsi. I've just always read that it was marketed as a clear cola, which would imply a taste very similar to Pepsi (or caffeine free Pepsi, which I have also never tried). They even made a Diet Crystal Pepsi!

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    You'd think it'd at least taste like caffeine free pepsi, which is pretty decent.

Caffeine free pepsi was my favorite kind as a kid. I always though it tasted a little different.

Do they even still make caffeine free pepsi anymore?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I was gonna be a smartass and post "Wake me up when Sprite Remix is back", since it was basically Skittles flavored Sprite, but apparently it kind of is!

I MUST HAVE IT NAO

• Options
    Yeah, I drank the shit out of crystal pepsi, and I think I remember it tasting differently.

I don't know if it actually did, or if it was just my brain reacting weird to the color.

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »

Caffeine free pepsi was my favorite kind as a kid. I always though it tasted a little different.

Pretty sure you can get it. It's not super common but it's there.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

I had the chicken breast wrap.
    Served with fresh green leaf lettuce, peppery sweet chilli jam and tangy yogurt sauce. Served with your choice of regular side.
    and the PERi chips.

It was pretty good! The chips were a little over seasoned, in my opinion.

Next time I'll go for the hotter version of whatever I get. I ended up with medium because I didn't realize I could specify how hot I wanted it.

Nooooooooooooooo, the more seasoning they put on the chips, the better!

• Options
    The most interesting thing to me about Nando's is that it's a South African chain, with international success

Probably a big part of why it's so darn good, too

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

It's still on the shelves here in Utah. This is also the only place I've ever encountered caffeine free Mountain Dew, which joins the Vanilla Frosty at Wendy's as a substance that I know has a relatively conventional origin, but that I can't look at without imagining a team of culinary warlocks harvesting it from pustules on Satan's sweaty back.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Unless the can's clear too I'm not gonna notice a soda's color much.

Transparent aluminum?

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    That's the ticket laddie.

• Options
    man my cup runneth over with bad food news today

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.