As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    I suspect that's more to do with resource limitations than anything else. Cutscene animation is very expensive, both in terms of the manpower needed for development and the computing power needed when rendered in real-time like the ME series is. Combining that with the level of detail they need in the facial expressions in cutscenes are going to force them to use a lot of shortcuts where possible.

Honestly, game development as a whole is just the art of making something look just good enough to fool the player into accepting it. Whether it's physics collisions or cutscenes or what have you.

Which is why when this came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUbGLzi21Yo

That was the point I realised that they'd sunk a huge pile of raw dollars into the Citadel DLC (on top of everyone having fun as the last hurrah but w/e)

Animating stuff is 'spensive as shit, which is why big RPGs of the Bethesda and BioWare sort have painfully canned animations most of the time and new animations stand out like woah

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    there's barely been any sci fi game these days that doesn't involve mysterious alien tech somewhere

i'm just hoping for fewer plot holes

I like stories where they find mysterious human tech millenia old and are like "wait...what?"

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    That's it.

Kaidan gets to live this time.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Never suffer a Kaidan survivor.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    there's barely been any sci fi game these days that doesn't involve mysterious alien tech somewhere

I like stories where they find mysterious human tech millenia old and are like "wait...what?"

Try to find some sci-fi stories with starships, without aliens. Go on, count them on one hand.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Try to find some sci-fi stories with starships, without aliens. Go on, count them on one hand.

That's why I like them.
    They're, you know, actually interesting.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Serenity
    Dune
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    Killzone
    Battlestar Galactica

That's all I got.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    If I ever see another story about ancient aliens leaving behind remnants of a great technological galaxy-spanning empire it will be too soon

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Asimov's Foundation series.

There's a lot more in books.

Ian M Banks has written at least one book that features zero actual aliens, but then again the main protags aren't actually humans born on earth, although they basically act exactly like humans, look like humans, if it quacks like a duck etc.
    He has a tendency to, like, just take human beings and say "what if they evolved elsewhere" and then make a story out of that. Kinda like Star Wars in that respect, just in this case zero aliens.

I know a lot of authors where the greater universe of their series has aliens, but for one particular book there will be zero aliens in it, its all about the humans. I tend to like those stories the most. Especially if it involves a mysterious past or something like that, that throws up suggestions that whatever tech macguffin they've found might be alien, but it was just human all along.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The Vorkosigan Saga; Cryoburn particularly is great.
    The Vatta's War series.
    The Honor Harrington series.

I don't think it's super uncommon; there's a ton of scifi around.

Edit: Now that I think about it, a few books in the Vorkosigan Saga have "aliens," the books that deal with Quaddies in particular. They tend to be humans with extensive genetic engineering and widely known, relatively recent origins, though. The aliens... Are us!

Frem on
  • Options
    Doesn't Harrington have cat aliens or somesuch?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There are many alien races in the Harrington books. None known are space faring.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Serenity
    Dune
    Killzone
    Battlestar Galactica

That's all I got.

The Martian? Gravity?

Oh! Interstellar!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Bonus points if, via genetic modification or long evolutionary time scales or whotnot, you get weird ass inhuman creatures that act like aliens, but were originally humans.

eg The Time Machine.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Asimov's Foundation series.
    For that matter, very few of Asimov's books include aliens, and most of them have spaceflight.

• Options
    There are many alien races in the Harrington books. None known are space faring.

Oh, right, there are those tripod natives in the very first one, weren't there? I stopped reading around book five, where it'd more or less been all humans for a while, unless I'm forgetting something.
    Doesn't Harrington have cat aliens or somesuch?
    Harrington has a space bobcat which has six paws (because SPACE) and can psychically read and project feelings (because why not). 98% of the time, it's functionally a celery-loving house cat.

*finds wiki article on Treecat society*

Uh, wow, ok. Treecats got a lot more fleshed out in later books!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Serenity
    Dune
    Killzone
    Battlestar Galactica

That's all I got.

Firefly
    Cowboy Bebop
    Gundam, with the exception of the movie for 00.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Well, Serenity is technically Firefly, but those others are also true.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ian M Banks has written at least one book that features zero actual aliens, but then again the main protags aren't actually humans born on earth, although they basically act exactly like humans, look like humans, if it quacks like a duck etc.
    He has a tendency to, like, just take human beings and say "what if they evolved elsewhere" and then make a story out of that. Kinda like Star Wars in that respect, just in this case zero aliens.

And when he does write stories with aliens in them, they are way more alien than you're used to seeing in science fiction.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I still so much wish they had made use of more of Matt Rhodes' alien concept pieces.

Like so
    ME3_flesh_alien.jpg
    An unused alien idea. Thank god. I wanted to design an alien that was completely horrifying and was failing in every possible way to come across as relatable to humans. If we actually went this direction I would have loved it if you could see constantly shifting eyes and teeth behind his “Hue-Mon” mask. Just awful.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I wish Tali had looked like that.

But nope, better to just photoshop a stock photo apparently.

• Options
    He had a couple concepts for Tali that I liked
    The debate about whether or not to reveal Tali’s face was another one that lasted a long time. Versions of her were being worked on fairly often. These were three that I thought worked in their own way. Personally, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to push players to the edge. Tali was like a pen pal, or a friend you’ve only ever known online. Depending on how attached to her a player was, how well could they handle her appearance challenging their expectations? If she looked a little too alien, just a little too repellant, would they still feel the same way about her? Or did her personality and your history together trump appearances? It’s an interesting area to explore and I hope we can find other ways to ask that question.
    Tali_01.jpg
    tali_portrait02.jpg
    tali_unmasked.jpg
    To me, this has always been (and always will be) Tali. This was drawn during ME1 when she was first being designed, and when her appearance under the mask wasn’t a big deal yet.
    quarian-model.jpg

I wish they'd have gone with that last one, screw what the fanboys think.

• Options
    While initially slightly horrifying, that last piece of concept art looks more Tali to me every time I see it.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    agreed

but if i'm being honest, it wasn't appearance that turned me off

it was the singalong

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    They say repellent, but most of those are pretty cute designs so...

• Options
    Yeah. They're ALIEN, which is what they should be. Turians are alien designs to us, as are salarians, batarians, elcor, etc.

Then of course you have asari for the obligatory alien sex bait.

• Options
    I really think they just underestimated the "Talimancers." I think they mostly could have handled it, and any that couldn't could always go back and go for Ashley, Liara, or Miranda instead. There are plenty conventionally attractive ladies in the game, no need to make yet another one with Tali.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    "Hmm. Will the player base that wanted to romance a lizard/bird thing still be interested if the face behind the visor looks a little odd?"

• Options
    I never really cared about Tali, but Tali in 1 had an odd smoothness to her face behind the mask that matches that concept art.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Cambiata wrote: »
    tali_portrait02.jpg

Wearing the Professor Genki line, I see.

(Also this portrait looks super Baldur's Gate-y.)

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    I romanced Tali because of who she was, not because of what she looked like under the helmet.

• Options
    What they really should have done is that in 2, when you visit the fleet, the Quarians should have been suitless but Shepard should have been required to wear her helmet at all times (which I think she was even in the version they went with). That would have been the time to do it.

• Options
    What they really should have done is that in 2, when you visit the fleet, the Quarians should have been suitless but Shepard should have been required to wear her helmet at all times (which I think she was even in the version they went with). That would have been the time to do it.

But then you had a bunch of the characters who didn't have fully-sealed suits for some reason...

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

But then you had a bunch of the characters who didn't have fully-sealed suits for some reason...

You mean like Jack? Yeah, that was weird.

• Options
    Jack, Miranda, Jacob, Mordin, Samara, Kasumi Thane, Zaeed.. most of the party, really.

(Thane and Zaeed had full helmets but other parts of their body were still exposed)

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Tali having scalp hair (that was long!) kind of emphasized the laziness too. Like, okay sure, she's human in the face, but a full bodysuit like that with long flowing locks? Preorder cancelled.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Asari with hair

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I really like Tali as a character, and I was reaaally let down when they made her look like an conventionally attractive human.

Really should have done something else.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I really like Tali as a character, and I was reaaally let down when they made her look like an conventionally attractive human.

Really should have done something else.

space gnome midget with pink hair and a fetish for grilled cheese sandwiches?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
This discussion has been closed.