As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] 6.85

• Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    So after a full 20 matches im starting to get a good feel for the best way I can play to help my team at this skill level.

Every single game, people call for wards, and typically overextend chasing kills. I've started being the wandering support. Done this as both abbadon and witch doctor with great success. It means I don't get a ton of farm early so I fall off late game, but setting up wards all the time lets me wander, heal people and set up a couple ganks to win lanes. And it seems to keep the toxicity down a bit.

It won't work forever, but in the lower skill brackets it seems to help the whole team come online faster. But I lose out on late game item building and levels. So now begins the process of learning how to be support set wards and get farm. But definitely loving it. So much to learn.

signature goes here
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    So after a full 20 matches im starting to get a good feel for the best way I can play to help my team at this skill level.

Every single game, people call for wards, and typically overextend chasing kills. I've started being the wandering support. Done this as both abbadon and witch doctor with great success. It means I don't get a ton of farm early so I fall off late game, but setting up wards all the time lets me wander, heal people and set up a couple ganks to win lanes. And it seems to keep the toxicity down a bit.

It won't work forever, but in the lower skill brackets it seems to help the whole team come online faster. But I lose out on late game item building and levels. So now begins the process of learning how to be support set wards and get farm. But definitely loving it. So much to learn.

The answer to that is probably to use a support who can farm the jungle, like Crystal Maiden (with frostbite) or Keeper of the Light (with Illuminate). Abbadon may also be able to do it with his shield, but I'm not sure how well he can do that without items (I only ever see him played as a carry).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    That makes a ton of sense. Thanks. I'll have to try out keeper and give crystal another chance. I played a match with her but it didn't really click for me.

signature goes here
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    You definitely want to check out this video for Crystal Maiden tips

https://youtu.be/GQVVFQjBmiQ

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Witch Doctor can farm the jungle semi-decently.

Also, you can aim his Death Ward ult, and it's physical damage and goes through BKB. (Though I doubt anybody's buying that at that mmr level)

edit: His heal can be toggled on/off during his ult channel without interupting it. Good thing to remember if there's an enemy rubic.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The witch yet is fun. Especially when you get aghs. Just pulled a couple doubles with it in a game. Blood seeker destroyed me though. I'm assuming there is a counter I don't know to his bleed out?

And def gonna watch that vid later.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    The witch yet is fun. Especially when you get aghs. Just pulled a couple doubles with it in a game. Blood seeker destroyed me though. I'm assuming there is a counter I don't know to his bleed out?

And def gonna watch that vid later.

always carry a tp scroll against a BS, you can just tp back to fountain if he ults you. As long as you dont move you wont take damage.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Ah. I knew it was something. Thank you. So stand still and survive. That would have totally been useful 30 minutes ago. Lol.

signature goes here
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Witch Doctor can farm the jungle semi-decently.

Also, you can aim his Death Ward ult, and it's physical damage and goes through BKB. (Though I doubt anybody's buying that at that mmr level)

edit: His heal can be toggled on/off during his ult channel without interupting it. Good thing to remember if there's an enemy rubic.

TIL

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Thank you for posting the crystal maiden vid. So many things about playing support make way more sense now. Back into bot games I go for a while to get solid early game going.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Thank you for posting the crystal maiden vid. So many things about playing support make way more sense now. Back into bot games I go for a while to get solid early game going.

Hey @Rubix42 what's your steam name for making with the adding of the friends? :D

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah, Support can be a lot of fun for the newbie. You still need to get your farm, so you need to last hit (though you should defer to your lane buddy, if you have one), but it's kinda relaxing to just work on keeping your lane buddy alive and denying and harassing. My personal favorite Hero is Vengeful Spirit, and you may want to give her a try. You could have the worst imaginable farm and she'll still mostly scale to everyone else at the end of the game. She has just such a complete package. Stun, check. Teamfight debuff, check. Teamfight aura, check. And that Ult, it does so many things, it pierces spell immunity, it interrupts channeling, it's great for denying escapes, it's great for initiating, it's great for turning a teamfight into mayhem. And should you die, whoever killed you has a damage debuff for a while.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Musicool wrote: »

Hey @Rubix42 what's your steam name for making with the adding of the friends? :D

Don't say I didn't warn ya.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rubix4two/

Practiced the stuff from the Purge CM vid and was able to stay in the couple of games I played throughout. Feel like I'm improving. And haven't had anyone complain about wards in the last couple games either.

Also had a completely silent game. Not one person said anything, and any communication I tried to start was ignored. We lost obviously.

signature goes here
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Ultra lategame you can sit in fountain, Ult > Refresher > Ult > Swap item and then jump to an illu.

They went Radiance into Refresher, we lost horribly because we had no carry.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »

AND A NEW CAPE FOR YOU TO WEAR AS YOU FLY THROUGH THE AIR TO DECAPITATE YOUR FOES!

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Ultra lategame you can sit in fountain, Ult > Refresher > Ult > Swap item and then jump to an illu.

My latest pet peeve is carries who spend all their gold on gimmick items instead of, well, carry items. Like guys, you have one job. One job.

If a carry has a situationally viable Agh's then I guarantee you it's rushed and/or overbought. Gyro, Necro, Jugg, etc.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I wish Reborn had actually improved something. It has a nicer UI, but for the most part it's less functional for all the things I want it to do.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GUYS I DID IT.

After something like 6 goddamn bronze upgrades and a couple of lucky silvers from the treasure rolls...I finally have the Ornithomancer Mantle. Which was the only damn thing I wanted the whole time.

Phew.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    I wish Reborn had actually improved something. It has a nicer UI, but for the most part it's less functional for all the things I want it to do.

Can you give some examples? I've found it mostly okay but there definitely seems to be issues with it all over.

One problem that seems to have come up for me is pathing relating to tusk ice shards. A lot of the time my hero seems to just walk at the iceshard and get stuck instead of going around.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »

That was very enjoyable.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Can you give some examples? I've found it mostly okay but there definitely seems to be issues with it all over.

One problem that seems to have come up for me is pathing relating to tusk ice shards. A lot of the time my hero seems to just walk at the iceshard and get stuck instead of going around.

My comment was mostly brought about by how there's all this worthless stuff taking up space. Like the stats page on your profile; it looks nice but it's not a good way to evaluate anything. Or if you try to browse heroes to look up a tooltip there's all the 3D models.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Ah, yea, I'm not a fan of a lot of that kind of stuff. The stats seem cool but I never look at them. I don't know why Valve doesn't do things like Dotabuff does since they could do it better. Also, I hate the armory. I find it confusing to try to use. (I don't use it much so this is partly my fault)

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Ah, yea, I'm not a fan of a lot of that kind of stuff. The stats seem cool but I never look at them. I don't know why Valve doesn't do things like Dotabuff does since they could do it better. Also, I hate the armory. I find it confusing to try to use. (I don't use it much so this is partly my fault)

The new armory is horrible. The old one wasn't great either, but it wasn't this bad. I'm thankful that it showcases the compendium stuff so I don't have to suddenly sort my items to grab the 25 compendium points I just earned, but that's about it.

I like the little stats graph, but I really wish it had a meaningful breakdown of how it approaches its conclusions. I appreciate seeing that my versatility is very high, or that my fighting is very high, but I want to see how it arrives at those conclusions if I'm going to nerd out on this stuff.

• Options
    Last week I bought a new mask for Shadow Shaman. I like playing the guy so I spent $0.10 on him. I could not for the life of me figure out how equip just this one mask and not whole set.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    bring him up in heroes and there should be a button to customize the hero next to his model

alternatively i think you can right click the item in the armory and then equip

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    jist played my first disruptor match. Probably my new fave. I messed around with him in bot matches last night and thought his skills suited being the only support well. Ended 2/9/10 not great but some good assists from glimpse to catch a runner and helped my carry feed and snowball. Couple of good ganks as well. He really suits my current level of play.

signature goes here
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    jist played my first disruptor match. Probably my new fave. I messed around with him in bot matches last night and thought his skills suited being the only support well. Ended 2/9/10 not great but some good assists from glimpse to catch a runner and helped my carry feed and snowball. Couple of good ganks as well. He really suits my current level of play.

Disruptor is pretty much my #2 fave. If you want to have even more fun, when you push on a tower, and you see a bunch of the enemy TP'ing in, if it will put the odds decidedly in your favor, Glimpse one of them as soon as they arrive. They'll shoot right back to wherever they were, and the rest of their team is a man down. He's also a lot like Warlock in that he dictates a lot of the action during teamfights, so if you like teamfights (I do), he's probably your guy. If you can pair him with Warlock or Witch Doctor, btw, the combos are a lot of fun.

Disco also has loads of good Disruptor advice in this thread, though I'm sure he wouldn't mind repeating some of it.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Couple tips for newbie playing the electric mayhem:

1 -If you glimpse someone after he tp's to a tower it will send him back to fountain. Truly, one of the great joys in Dota

2- If you see 2-3 tp's into a tower, kinetic field and ultimate right before you think the first will arrive. usually scares them into breaking the tp's and gives you a free tower.

3- Glimpse stops channeling even if they don't move! Great for against bane, witch doctor and crystal maiden to name a few.

4- For item builds, pretty much anything works well with him. I usually go urn-mana boots-mek-atos-guardians or some mixture of them. Scepter is only particularly good if you have another form of aoe lockdown (magnus or enigma or warlock usually) or is the other team invest heavily in BKB's as the scepter upgrade mute's items. Also, theoretically the most damage from a spell if they stay in it the whole time. 2940 dmg before reductions .

5- Thunderstrike will let you help keep track of people if you think a teamfight is about to break out.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

My latest pet peeve is carries who spend all their gold on gimmick items instead of, well, carry items. Like guys, you have one job. One job.

If a carry has a situationally viable Agh's then I guarantee you it's rushed and/or overbought. Gyro, Necro, Jugg, etc.

Refresher-Pugna is not a gimmick build!

Okay, it might be. But brown boots->dagon V is still legit.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Thanks for the disruptor tips. Can't wait to have time to play tomorrow.

signature goes here
  • Options

Is there an unfriend button?

But seriously, Pugna is a glass canon and needs some tank!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    if you're not building aghs/heart on pugna to pump infinite health into your actual carry then what are you even doing

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    if you're not building aghs/heart on pugna to pump infinite health into your actual carry then what are you even doing

Aghs rush is a bad idea on him.

• Options

Actually playing pugna like a carry?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

Is there an unfriend button?

But seriously, Pugna is a glass canon and needs some tank!

Not if they die first!

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    One of my favourite Pugna games was when the 3-stack on the enemy team went Skywrath/Lina/Lion for some sort of gimmicky instagib combo.

I didn't build a refresher that game, but by god I should have.

And I've done a lion/pugna 2-stack before. Tons of fun.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    mts wrote: »

Actually playing pugna like a carry?

yeah, but then you'd being playing dota

and who wants to do that

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I don't get refresher on pugna. What exactly has a long enough cool down that that helps unless maybe double Dagon

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The double nether ward is devastating if you aren't ready for it. Netherward in general is excruciating to play around.

Sceptre on
This discussion has been closed.