Options

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I didn't have any issues with Steam, myself.

Even the games?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I've had zero issues with games on windows 10. I moved from 8.1 at launch with nothing going wrong. I've used Steam and Origin (and I guess Uplay for AC)

however

I've not tried anything that I'd class as "old" yet (ie 10 years or so old/XP releases) so some of that might be a little janky.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Ok, thanks all. I'll give it a whirl.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've had zero issues with games on windows 10. I moved from 8.1 at launch with nothing going wrong. I've used Steam and Origin (and I guess Uplay for AC)

however

I've not tried anything that I'd class as "old" yet (ie 10 years or so old/XP releases) so some of that might be a little janky.

Just to add to this: so far, the oldest game I've played (on Steam) has been Worms Armageddon (1999), and everything seems to be working fine (so far).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The only game related application I had issues with on my laptop has been the Curse Client (for automatically updating addons in WoW). It straight-up refuses to cooperate, and the only workaround seems to be to reinstall .NET; which actually doesn't fix anything and it still refuses to run.

I saw a YT vid where the guy somehow snags the .DLL file while the Client installs and pastes it into the directory while it installs, but the video didn't make a lot of sense to me (as in, I didn't know where he grabbed the DLL in the first place). This is getting really deep into the weeds.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The only game I have had trouble with since going to Win10 is MechWarrior Online, which refuses to launch at all now because of something DirectX -related maybe?

But MechWarrior Online is also a shit game programmed and run by complete incompetents so I consider it a blessing to be able to stop playing it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    After literally two months of waiting my computer is ready to upgrade to windows 10

• Options
    ...yep it broke fucking everything

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    The only problem I've had with Steam is a byproduct of how Windows 10 now handles the Xbox button press on my Xbox 360 controller. It now opens some Microsoft gaming app and no longer opens the Steam overlay in Big Picture Mode.

Somewhat related to that, has anyone else noticed that Windows 10 will configure your "resolution" for the monitor you're using when you boot into Windows? Text and images are blurry when I boot my computer while it's connected to my TV, but according to both Windows' display settings and Nvidia control panel the resolution is still 1920x1080. Even the UAC pop ups are larger though the taskbar is the same size. This problem persists after I change to my monitor and I have no idea what's causing it. I can fix it with a reboot, but I'd rather not reboot every time if possible.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Everything as in? Does it boot? Windows load?

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

Everything as in? Does it boot? Windows load?

It boots, but it's fucked up all my existing purchases on xbox video. A tech spent three hours remoting into my computer trying to figure out why nothing will play.

The macro program I use has totally lost its shit when faced with Windows 10. All my macros are broken and new ones don't seem to work.

Swtor required ini meddling to boot up, but that's par for the course

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    The only problem I've had with Steam is a byproduct of how Windows 10 now handles the Xbox button press on my Xbox 360 controller. It now opens some Microsoft gaming app and no longer opens the Steam overlay in Big Picture Mode.

You can disable that and the Xbox button will work with Steam once again. Open the silly thing, click on the gear and it's a checkbox.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    More privacy shenanigans. DiagTrack is renamed and reenabled.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's kind of weird, thinking about it. I see requests and information all over the place about how to disable the telemetry. Ultimately, though, all that's doing is just putting your system in a state where it would be if Microsoft let you disable it, so there's no pressure on Microsoft to give you an option.

Wouldn't it be better to set up a system that edits the telemetry logs to push falsified information? That way, automatically drawing telemetry data from you would actually disadvantage them, giving them an incentive to allow you to opt out so they don't have to deal with your fake data.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I don't see any of those services running on my computer. I never opted out of anything. And seeing how spectacularly the Scroogled thing worked out for them, it seems pretty clear that nobody actually cares if companies grab data about then or not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I certainly don't. People leak data all the time, all over the place. Companies aren't interested in using it for anything more nefarious than selling you shit.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    and in Microsoft's case, mostly it's used for figuring out how people actually use their computers. The reason why the Network/file explorer/all apps/settings/power buttons are all on the lower left of the start menu in win10: Microsoft has overwhelming data to show that the closer a button is to the start button in the start menu, the more likely people are to click that button.

Things like that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I suppose there's the risk it could be coopted by a hacker so they can break into your system, but technically any internet protocol could be used for that too.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I don't see any of those services running on my computer. I never opted out of anything. And seeing how spectacularly the Scroogled thing worked out for them, it seems pretty clear that nobody actually cares if companies grab data about then or not.

I'm fairly certain Apple ascertained this many, many years ago (and like totally useless but friendly-sounding error messages and putting everything in circles, Microsoft followed their lead). Which is not something I'm pleased about, but I sort of wonder how much protection putting off updating offers.

Personally, I haven't adopted my primary PC to Windows 10 largely because I'm worried about incompatibilities with a lot of old, non-English software I run, and because I'm one of those rare people who didn't hate Windows 8/8.1. But from a security standpoint, the more I educate, the more I think that avoiding Windows 10 is wholly insufficient in regards to concerns about privacy. Most obviously, Microsoft patched 7 and 8.1 to do many of the same grievous activities, no?

Obviously, everyone doing it doesn't somehow exempt them from blame, but it does seem like everyone is doing it. Certainly MacOS, and Google's own software/app offerings (if not their operating system I guess...?).

I was late adopting Vista, 7, 8, no doubt I'll be late adopting 10. Quite a few reasons in my case. But at least to me, it does seem like a futile struggle where the best most of us can do is actively disable services (and hope that's meaningful and not just patched out/defaulted in), which doesn't really matter what OS we're using.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    I may not be framing this question in the best way, but is there a way to get Win10 search to work more like Win8.1 search?

Upgraded to Win10 a week or so ago, and when I used Win8.1 I'd just hit the Win key and start typing "Team..." and the TeamViewer setup file (TeamViewer_Setup_en.exe) would be in the search list and I could select it and launch it. I know I can just install TeamViewer, but I prefer to run applications instead of installing them if I have the option. Now, even when I type out the whole filename it doesn't show any local file system hits in the search list, it just gives option to "search the web". The file is in my Downloads directory, just like it was in Win8.1.

I'd been using 8.1 for a couple years now and am very accustomed to how the search (Win key, then start typing) works, so I'd like to know if this is some kind of default settings tweak elsewise what kind of user training do I need to get search to work the way it used to.

this might be start menu bugging out because of the stupid new 500 item limit.
    I fixed that by installing Classic Menu, which amazingly works, unlike Windows 10. I mean, it's not like MS has been making start menus for 20 years.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I may not be framing this question in the best way, but is there a way to get Win10 search to work more like Win8.1 search?

Upgraded to Win10 a week or so ago, and when I used Win8.1 I'd just hit the Win key and start typing "Team..." and the TeamViewer setup file (TeamViewer_Setup_en.exe) would be in the search list and I could select it and launch it. I know I can just install TeamViewer, but I prefer to run applications instead of installing them if I have the option. Now, even when I type out the whole filename it doesn't show any local file system hits in the search list, it just gives option to "search the web". The file is in my Downloads directory, just like it was in Win8.1.

I'd been using 8.1 for a couple years now and am very accustomed to how the search (Win key, then start typing) works, so I'd like to know if this is some kind of default settings tweak elsewise what kind of user training do I need to get search to work the way it used to.

I fixed that by installing Classic Menu, which amazingly works, unlike Windows 10. I mean, it's not like MS has been making start menus for 20 years.

If your windows 10 is fully patched, which it should be, the update released in November fixes the start menu item limit issue.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I was told to seek a refund over my purchases, so my roommate called today. They somehow persuaded her that the problem was us not having an xbox live gold subscription, and upsold her.

Mother fuckers. They might just have sold a mac.

• Options
    Then I tried to play a game and it turns or I have a bunch of non functioning dlls. Windows 10 has been horrible for me.

• Options
    I thank you for beta testing it for me, though!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    My issue was discovered with Elite, but maybe just because it was the first game I tried, but I had to reinstall the Visual Studio runtime.

If you run into a problem with the launcher and windows 10 where after upgrading clinking play does not launch the game. Try this as a fix. Fixed my problem and a few others. I didn't discover this fix. I am just passing it along.

go here on your pc

C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\Redis

Open the vs2010 folder and reinstall vcredist_x86
    Open the vs2012 folder and reinstall vcredist_x86

Then try the launcher again. should allow the game to launch again.

EDIT: I had to run the 64 bit ones because 64 bit machine.

Bigity on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It sucks that there are people for whom the transition is not going smoothly. I've really enjoyed windows 10 so far and have had great luck with it even on older machines.

• Options
    It's basically the nature of any software now to be broken for some amount of people. Was always the case, it's just multiplied now so it's more noticeable. You'd think MS would be a tad ahead of the curve by now, though. And while they are learning I think the shift in management now and then scrambles their progress sometimes.

Hopefully they have it smoothed out all around by July!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Yesterday I saw my first blue screen on Windows 10. I'm pretty sure it was because I installed new graphics drivers, told it to restart later and loaded up the gif thread in SE++.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Whelp. I had my first issue with Windows 10 last night. I wasn't able to run my original disc of Homeworld last night. I did find some fixes for Windows 8, (I had previously been able to run it fine on Windows 7), but unfortunately it doesn't work with those fixes.

I guess it's not terribly surprising, with each new version of windows there is inevitably some old software that will fail. Perhaps whoever did the fix for Windows 8 will make a fix for Windows 10. Either that or I get the Homeworld remake.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Either that or I get the Homeworld remake.
    Possibly not a bad choice, even assuming you don't care for the remaster having used the HW2 engine with its lack of physics-based combat, it also includes "original, non-remastered versions of Homeworld Classic and Homeworld 2 Classic, preserving the purest form of the original releases with compatibility for modern operating systems. "
    Unsure if there's any details on what that compatibility is, but they claim it's there.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Zero display driver crashes on my surface since that last win 10 patch, hooray.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    I've seen many and many blue screens in 10. But I also make USB devices so it's usually my fault.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I see blue screens with 10 and I basically just use it for web searches.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to stop windows from bugging me to upgrade? I'm 8.1, and plan on upgrading, I just haven't yet. Life is busy, and I want to take an afternoon to do it. I just want it to stop bugging me.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Is there a way to stop windows from bugging me to upgrade? I'm 8.1, and plan on upgrading, I just haven't yet. Life is busy, and I want to take an afternoon to do it. I just want it to stop bugging me.

Seems like the current solutions are: a.) hide the notification icon, b.) manually uninstall the update that introduces it, or c.) some special voodoo zip file that I don't trust. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-rid-windows-10-upgrade-notification-windows-7-8/

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular

Thanks, but I think I'm mis-stating my issue. I am patched to 1511 BTW.

In Win 8.1 Pro, if I hit the Win key and then type "mmc" I get this screen. And I want to launch mmc.exe, so great.
    If I do the same in Win 10 Pro I get this. And there seems no way for me to fiddle with this so it points me to mmc.exe.

Similarly (in Win 8.1 Pro) if I hit Win key and then type "scr" I get this screen. And if I select "Files" instead of "Everywhere" for context I get this screen. This works for me since I'm trying to find images that start with the string "screenshot".
    And in Win 10 hitting Win key then typing "scr" gives me this.

It's like Win 10 search is searching a different context than in Win 8.1 search or stuff is not being indexed as thoroughly. Is there a way to may Win 10 search work the same way as Win 8.1?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    When I do any of that I get a "We're searching. Give us a minute while we search the whole web instead of just your computer because we think that's a great idea. And, oh yeah, we're using the slow Bing servers. Ok, it'll be more like 5-7 minutes."

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

In Win 8.1 Pro, if I hit the Win key and then type "mmc" I get this screen. And I want to launch mmc.exe, so great.
    If I do the same in Win 10 Pro I get this. And there seems no way for me to fiddle with this so it points me to mmc.exe.

Similarly (in Win 8.1 Pro) if I hit Win key and then type "scr" I get this screen. And if I select "Files" instead of "Everywhere" for context I get this screen. This works for me since I'm trying to find images that start with the string "screenshot".

It's like Win 10 search is searching a different context than in Win 8.1 search or stuff is not being indexed as thoroughly. Is there a way to may Win 10 search work the same way as Win 8.1?

I'm a bit loathe to say this, but I'll just power through it:

I just did the exact things you were trying to do (Win key -> type "mmc" or "scr" -> get search results), and I got the exact results that you were seeing in Win8.1 (and not seeing what you're seeing in Win10). Win -> mmc = "mmc.exe run command" while Win -> scr = "On-Screen Keyboard desktop app" and my Screenshots folder.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I'm a bit loathe to say this, but I'll just power through it:

I just did the exact things you were trying to do (Win key -> type "mmc" or "scr" -> get search results), and I got the exact results that you were seeing in Win8.1 (and not seeing what you're seeing in Win10). Win -> mmc = "mmc.exe run command" while Win -> scr = "On-Screen Keyboard desktop app" and my Screenshots folder.

Are you using Cortana? Or should I say, could this be because I'm not using Cortana? I decided not to cause I didn't want to have to create an MS account and link it to all my searches when I'm just searching for stuff on my own computer.

I'm getting this behavior on both my work machine and my home machine (home machine not updated to 1511 yet). In case I am a special snowflake, is there a way to "reset" search to default behavior in case I've done something to teach the search algorithm that I don't want it to index/search normal directories (like Windows and my libraries)?

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »

Seems like the current solutions are: a.) hide the notification icon, b.) manually uninstall the update that introduces it, or c.) some special voodoo zip file that I don't trust. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-rid-windows-10-upgrade-notification-windows-7-8/

I can try this, what bugs me is I can't seem to update windows 8.1. The update that keeps showing up is windows 10. Is there really no support for 8.1? I can't hide the update for windows 10, as windows automatically re-finds it in a minute.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1