As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a single train for [chat]

ronyaronya Arrrrrf.the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

For years, there’s only been one passenger waiting at the Kami-Shirataki train station in the northernmost island of Hokkaido, Japan: A high-school girl, on her way to class. The train stops there only twice a day—once to pick up the girl and again to drop her off after the school day is over.

It sounds like a Hayao Miyazaki film. But according to CCTV News, it was a decision that Japan Railways—the group that operates the country’s railway network—made more than three years ago.

At that time, ridership at the Kami-Shirataki station had dramatically fallen because of its remote location, and freight service had ended there as well. Japan Railways was getting ready to shut the station down for good—until they noticed that it was still being used every day by the high-schooler. So they decided to keep the station open for her until she graduates. The company’s even adjusted the train’s timetable according to the girl’s schedule. The unnamed girl is expected to graduate this March, which is when the station will finally be closed.

news as reported by citylab as reported by twitter as reported by cctv as reported by facebook

aRkpc.gif

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Phew. Had my finger hovering over the button.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I was actually going to post an excerpt from a wonderful book I'm reading, but I realized that transcribing it would take maybe thirty minutes

so you get cute human interest stories

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Good, I enjoy cute humans

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Dang, I even had a usurper [chat] thread ready

Good execution all 'round though, team. Good preparation, Ended up with a solid OP. Don't get sloppy now, we've got to be ready to perform again in a mere 100 pages.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I was gonna post something about Orcacon but I'm on my phone so no.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    The salty mast is a good name for a brothel.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Good execution all 'round though, team. Good preparation, Ended up with a solid OP. Don't get sloppy now, we've got to be ready to perform again in a mere 100 pages.

*panics*

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

For years, there’s only been one passenger waiting at the Kami-Shirataki train station in the northernmost island of Hokkaido, Japan: A high-school girl, on her way to class. The train stops there only twice a day—once to pick up the girl and again to drop her off after the school day is over.

It sounds like a Hayao Miyazaki film. But according to CCTV News, it was a decision that Japan Railways—the group that operates the country’s railway network—made more than three years ago.

At that time, ridership at the Kami-Shirataki station had dramatically fallen because of its remote location, and freight service had ended there as well. Japan Railways was getting ready to shut the station down for good—until they noticed that it was still being used every day by the high-schooler. So they decided to keep the station open for her until she graduates. The company’s even adjusted the train’s timetable according to the girl’s schedule. The unnamed girl is expected to graduate this March, which is when the station will finally be closed.

news as reported by citylab as reported by twitter as reported by cctv as reported by facebook

i feel like that girl.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Japanese Train Stations are awesome.
    article-2403739-1B7EC8C4000005DC-11_634x473.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/24/travel/new-cat-stationmaster/
    It's one of the most closely guarded succession plans outside of North Korea: Who will replace Tama?

Japan's cute cat stationmaster passed away earlier this year, leaving a kitty-shaped hole in the country's heart and its 27,000 kilometer-long railway network.

Now, after a wait of 50 days -- the traditional mourning period according to Japanese Shinto beliefs -- there's a new cat in charge.

Nitama, Tama's old assistant stationmaster, has assumed the position, beating several other cat candidates to run Kishi train station in Wakayama Prefecture's rural Kinokawa neighborhood .

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

*panics*

Everyone look at Kid Presentable here.

This is what I like to see, okay?

Doesn't even let himself relax for one second. A constant state of fear, worry, and anxiety.

That's a go-getter right there.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Were I that girl, I would just stop going to school altogether before enduring the burden of knowing how much of a bother I was being.

That's a sweet story though.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    http://www.kanyewest.com <- this new track guys

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I'm supposed to meet friends for dim sum

But

We had fryday yesterday and deep fried a million things

I am not hungry for dim sum

Maybe some like vegetables

poo
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    The salty mast is a good name for a brothel.

Captain Hardcock's Good Times Club

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    got a friend who's really rushing into proposing to his girlfriend. it's very fast and moreso it's not that long since he was engaged to someone else and that fell apart twice in slow motion. idk how this can seem like a good idea to him.

just hope it all works out

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    dang

i was excited at having woken up at the exact opportune moment to steal chat

*fades back into the mists*

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

But

No solids went in (or out) for about 24 hours after eating at Melting Pot. Fondue is a hell of a plug.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    got a friend who's really rushing into proposing to his girlfriend. it's very fast and moreso it's not that long since he was engaged to someone else and that fell apart twice in slow motion. idk how this can seem like a good idea to him.

Sell him cheaply made rings for exorbitant prices.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Variable wrote: »

Same way the other two did, probably

Impulsive people with ideas about how romance is supposed to conducted are... impulsive people with ideas about how romance is supposed to be conducted. It is unfortunate =/

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    CYQQC1_UQAApRDA.jpg:large

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Hey, Windows 10, when I'm reinstalling everything ("Reset this PC") isn't going to end up wiping the entire drive, right? Just its partition?

Nevermind, found it

Shivahn on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_nz2my2YmyL1qjnhqgo1_500.png

He raises a valid point

• Options
    desc wrote: »

He raises a valid point

Baja blast is terrible!

Here are all the really good things I've had at Taco Bell:

1) Snapple lemonade freeze thing (discontinued early last year)

2) Their spicy grillers (discontinued late last year)

3) Their diablo sauce, which makes almost anything actually good (discontinued late last year)

.....I don't really eat there anymore

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Brand loyalty is kind of weird as a concept.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

He raises a valid point

Baja blast is terrible!

3) Their diablo sauce, which makes almost anything actually good (discontinued late last year)

So you're just abandoning your folks is what you're saying

You shameful arriviste

• Options
    Were I that girl, I would just stop going to school altogether before enduring the burden of knowing how much of a bother I was being.

That's a sweet story though.
    I'd like to believe that the Japan Railways executives went to a lot of trouble to hide this fact from this girl, who remains blissfully ignorant. Hiring actors to ride the train to/from that station, trying to maintain a ridiculous farce that they do not plan to shut down the station any time soon, etc.

As they say in the article, like a Miyazaki film.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

He raises a valid point

Baja blast is terrible!

So you're just abandoning your folks is what you're saying

You shameful arriviste

When I was down and barely able to afford food, was Taco Bell there for me?

No, they charged me to eat what is essentially livestock feed!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I love mountain dew

I love every kind of mountain dew

• Options
    I've been eating double deckers since small times.

None of this flavor if the week extravagance, keep it simple, stick with the classics.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I sort of wonder about the wisdom of posting where and when a school girl is going to be alone every day for 3 months.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

But

Last night a went to a burrito window and got a thing called a turtle - it seemed to be a burrito but folded into a disc shape and then pan fried until crispy on both sides.

Today I've just had some eggs and homemade juices and some dank hazelnut coffee after thinking I may never eat again. Finishing the second half at 1 AM was shameful.

@Shazkar Shadowstorm

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I tried imitation mountain dew once, it flowed out of a small crack in the side of a mountain so you knew it wasn't dew but it was ok.

• Options
    With a low-carb diet, I can have, like, one Taco Bell hard shell taco and still maintain my carb budget. :( Luckily, the closest Taco Bell is also a KFC. KFC has grilled chicken (which has almost zero carbs), so I can still get a filling meal along with a single taco, if I ever crave Taco Bell.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    So, off to store to buy things to make crunchwrap suppremes at home, and draino.

• Options
    Seal wrote: »
    I tried imitation mountain dew once, it flowed out of a small crack in the side of a mountain so you knew it wasn't dew but it was ok.
    Mountain Don't.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

People inevitably try to form communities around commonality, so you end up with stuff like XBox vs PS4 (PC MASTER RACE!), Mountain Dew versus Mello Yello and even Maggie has that baby with the one eyebrow.

Wait, what?

• Options
    ^;;^

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    With a low-carb diet, I can have, like, one Taco Bell hard shell taco and still maintain my carb budget. :( Luckily, the closest Taco Bell is also a KFC. KFC has grilled chicken (which has almost zero carbs), so I can still get a filling meal along with a single taco, if I ever crave Taco Bell.

If you're going to be sad anyway you may as well eat plants, dude.

• Options
    redx wrote: »
    So, off to store to buy things to make crunchwrap suppremes at home, and draino.

Redx it doesn't have to be this way.

There's so much to live for.

At the very least drink the draino instead that'll be a lot quicker.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

People inevitably try to form communities around commonality, so you end up with stuff like XBox vs PS4 (PC MASTER RACE!), Mountain Dew versus Mello Yello and even Maggie has that baby with the one eyebrow.

Wait, what?

There are mello yello supporters?

I thought it was recognized universally as an inferior product turned to out if desperation.

This discussion has been closed.