As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Consider this a placeholder post for a proper "gift get" post, but these people have been waiting the better part of sixteen, eighteen months for some thank-yous, and it's high time they got them. Also, apologies for no @ links, I'm horribly out of touch.

First off, thanks to Iolo for How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition. I'd make some comment about the game, but I have little to no memory of anything on my Steam library. It looks like something I'll end up giving a shot to, eventually.

Secondly, thanks to Maguano for Final Fantasy IV. This is the only SNES FF I've never beat- maybe this is the time, yeah?

Lastly (but not leastly), thanks to Isorn for Knights of Pen and Paper +1. I'm a tabletop nut, and I've been looking for things like this.

If your a tabletop nut, you should get tabletop simulator.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202967/tabletop-simulator-now-with-more-banana#latest

We have a thread were we are doing DnD as well as Pathfinder things there.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Judging by the stealth kill animation Lara has updated twice since starting Rise of the Tomb Raider, I'm pretty sure the third game in this series will feature crafting ammo bags from human skin.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I must learn to stop this C&C habit I have to always reload when things don't go right.

I don't have to be awesome.....

But I do enjoy being awesome.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    why does EA get from filling the world with hate and evil? i go to get the free version of need for speed most wanted and now the game is listed in "my games" three times and i have no way to remove the extras. i tried. i even went as far as submitting a ticket to which they responded that i had to call and speak with a person. now im trying to decide which is the greater evil, trying to ignore it thru what can sometimes be severe ocd, or calling EA customer service about an origin issue. id really like to try the game but right now it feels like the only winning move is not to play

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    why does EA get from filling the world with hate and evil? i go to get the free version of need for speed most wanted and now the game is listed in "my games" three times and i have no way to remove the extras. i tried. i even went as far as submitting a ticket to which they responded that i had to call and speak with a person. now im trying to decide which is the greater evil, trying to ignore it thru what can sometimes be severe ocd, or calling EA customer service about an origin issue. id really like to try the game but right now it feels like the only winning move is not to play
    There's a way to hide games in your origin list. Hang on, lemme go look for it.

Edit: Right click on game, and select "Hide"

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Lost in Massive Chalice's first tutorial battle, cannot find the bad guys.

XCOM 2's screenshots floating around my facebook wall are all of various designed women yelling and shooting their guns at something off camera. Its like XCOM 2 is a 90's dystopian comic book brought to life.

*listens to sounds of even more sales*

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Spent a nice afternoon with the just-released 'Murica Truck Simulator.
    I got some nice vistas with my first few rides. These two are not "my" trucks, they're just company trucks for quick deliveries.

00q22c7ced2p.jpg

re8qxrexuatb.jpg

After a few like those, I decided to ask the bank for a loan to get my very own truck.

This took a while, because I needed to save up a bit in addition to the loan, but people in California seem to randomly feel like breaking while doing a last-minute direction change and netting me some cash penalties for crashes.
    Finally got my own ride!
    wrglqe13if9f.jpg

Look at that metallic red! It's so awesome at the right angle.

And it didn't take long for my trips to take me to LA and get some nice coastal vistas.

scaq2ihcq8h5.jpg

j6rrymhh0pfl.jpg

All of this while listening to some heavy metal and 80's rock through the highways.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I must learn to stop this C&C habit I have to always reload when things don't go right.

. . . There are people who don't reload a save when things don't go their way? This is an utterly foreign concept to me.

Saw the trailer for Independence Day 2: Independence Harder, and for some reason it made me think of XCom.

In other news, I may have fallen off the Dino wagon just a bit . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    In a past life, I worked on Freightliner's truck configuration and ordering software. A lot of testing was "See how outlandish of trucks this software will allow you to order, compare that to what the plant can actually build for you, make sure that the software doesn't allow you to order impossible trucks"

I'm not sure whether those screenshots are giving me nostalgic flashbacks or PTSD.

Actually, does it have Freightliners? The screenshots I've seen so far have been Internationals and Peterbilts.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

. . . There are people who don't reload a save when things don't go their way? This is an utterly foreign concept to me.

Saw the trailer for Independence Day 2: Independence Harder, and for some reason it made me think of XCom.

In other news, I may have fallen off the Dino wagon just a bit . . .

Really? Made me think of Macross/Robotech.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular

I definitely see feeling more accomplished if someone can see through the trials, tribulations and errors of playthroughs to reach the end.
    Hell, that's why Dark Souls games get a whole lotta loving! I myself loved finishing that game.

But my problem with games that you can reload at any given point is knowing the fact that YOU CAN reload...
    I can if I would, abandon the thought of reloading if there wasn't a gremlin in my head going, "You idiot! Go back!! AND DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME!!"

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Oh, totally forgot to mention, thanks to @Corpekata for Rayman Origins!

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The recent patch to Darkest Dungeon, which stuffed my save file and broke my character roster quite badly, has reminded me why I don't like the fact steam automatically updates games. Sometimes you just don't want a developer stuffing with a game every 5 seconds. This was sadly one of those times.

But then again, XCOM 2 is in 2 days and it's going to consume my life for the next [forever], so I am hardly worried. I'll just wait for the March Update to DD, which is adding a lot to the game, to get back into it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    AAqB5SJ.png

I saw that. Not sure what it means.

The Steam update broke Downwell, though. Before it was a Steam Beta issue, but now it's in regular Steam. Sadface.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    about to fire up the Stream for some more Valkyria Chronicles. -

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    So I'm going to complete Tomb Raider. Right after I make another delivery in Euro Truck Simulator.

I don't have a problem. I can finish a game anytime I want.

I just choose to keep playing lots of games.

Steam Thread.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    AAqB5SJ.png

I saw that. Not sure what it means.

The Steam update broke Downwell, though. Before it was a Steam Beta issue, but now it's in regular Steam. Sadface.
    It means you won't get some rando messaging you out of the blue to beg for your rare TF2 hat.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »

I definitely see feeling more accomplished if someone can see through the trials, tribulations and errors of playthroughs to reach the end.
    Hell, that's why Dark Souls games get a whole lotta loving! I myself loved finishing that game.

But my problem with games that you can reload at any given point is knowing the fact that YOU CAN reload...
    I can if I would, abandon the thought of reloading if there wasn't a gremlin in my head going, "You idiot! Go back!! AND DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME!!"

Some games make failures part of the process better than others. The Souls games will kill you but you typically can recover your dropped souls so it's not like it's a game over. Likewise XCOM has conditioned me to view my troops as somewhat expendable or at least not too hard to replace if I've been good about keeping a rotating squad instead of just using the same people even after they hit max rank. It's more the stuff on the strategic layer going wrong that makes me reload there than losing soldiers.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Hey, JaysonFour, would you like any of these?

- Civ IV
    - Portal
    - Nuclear Dawn
    - Cthulhu Saves the World
    - Bit.trip Runner
    - XCOM Enemy Unknown
    - Mighty Quest for Epic Loot x3
    - Gun Monkeys
    - Defence Grid + Containment DLC
    - Nuclear Throne
    - MGSV Ground Zeroes.

Anyone in this thread can request any of them.

edit: wait, I've found a more noble recipient for Nuclear Throne - https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/34376999/#Comment_34376999

edit: 2 removed the @ so poor Jayson doesn't get notified if this gets quoted!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    In a past life, I worked on Freightliner's truck configuration and ordering software. A lot of testing was "See how outlandish of trucks this software will allow you to order, compare that to what the plant can actually build for you, make sure that the software doesn't allow you to order impossible trucks"

I'm not sure whether those screenshots are giving me nostalgic flashbacks or PTSD.

Actually, does it have Freightliners? The screenshots I've seen so far have been Internationals and Peterbilts.

Currently it only has a Peterbuilt and a Kenworth. They wrote a blog post about their licensing issues that describes it better than I can, but basically truck manufacturers are hesitant since they aren't used to this, so they're hoping to show the success of the game as a way to convince them. I'm sure it was a similar situation with ETS2 since they expanded their real world manufacturers over time. They have plenty of other trucks ready to go but just need permission.

• Options
    @JaysonFour I knew mentioning I hadn't seen you in forever would pay off! Excellent detective work @SmokeStacks!

I am quite relieved to say the least.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    @JaysonFour Glad you're OK!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Seeing a post from @JaysonFour made my heart warm up by a full 3.6 degrees. <3<3<3

On the other hand, mention of the mighty gift-a-pult sent cold shivers down my spine and brought up half-remembered shadows of dread from days gone by...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So I followed Darleysam's suggestion and now I'm down to:

- Civ IV
    - Portal
    - Nuclear Dawn
    - Cthulhu Saves the World
    - Bit.trip Runner
    - XCOM Enemy Unknown
    - Mighty Quest for Epic Loot x3
    - Gun Monkeys
    - Defence Grid + Containment DLC
    - Nuclear Throne
    - MGSV Ground Zeroes.

Still some great games there (dunno what Gun Monkeys is or why I have it), but I'd guess most people have them.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The recent patch to Darkest Dungeon, which stuffed my save file and broke my character roster quite badly, has reminded me why I don't like the fact steam automatically updates games. Sometimes you just don't want a developer stuffing with a game every 5 seconds. This was sadly one of those times.

But then again, XCOM 2 is in 2 days and it's going to consume my life for the next [forever], so I am hardly worried. I'll just wait for the March Update to DD, which is adding a lot to the game, to get back into it.

Moderately related, one of the more intriguing things about GOG's version of early access is that allows you to rollback to previous versions, and takes regular snapshots of builds. In the old, medieval days, you would just install and download whatever patch you were interested in. Today's platforms makes updates simple and convenient, but you don't get that flexibility anymore when a new version fucks with your shit. Maybe it's something that needs to come back.

Steam still has problems respecting auto-update preferences as-is though, so I'm not holding my breath.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Seeing a post from @JaysonFour made my heart warm up by a full 3.6 degrees. <3<3<3

On the other hand, mention of the mighty gift-a-pult sent cold shivers down my spine and brought up half-remembered shadows of dread from days gone by...

Don't worry @Pixelated Pixie my Super-Secret Secret-Things-Finder-Peoples have located the Secret Location of the gift-a-pult and I am sneaking in to disable it while wearing my Sneakiest-Sneaky-Hat. (Seen in my picture to the left.) I'm going in, wish me luck.

"Oh wow, this thing is impressive. ... Ok, where to start? Hmm, what does this button do?"

*clank ... *tic-tic-tic* ... *creakkkk* ... *CLANG*

"Ok, *phew* I think it's stopped." *Thunk* *Wooooosh*

"Oops."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wait what?

....brb

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Zxerol wrote: »

Moderately related, one of the more intriguing things about GOG's version of early access is that allows you to rollback to previous versions, and takes regular snapshots of builds. In the old, medieval days, you would just install and download whatever patch you were interested in. Today's platforms makes updates simple and convenient, but you don't get that flexibility anymore when a new version fucks with your shit. Maybe it's something that needs to come back.

Steam still has problems respecting auto-update preferences as-is though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Auto-update is a godsend if you were playing games back in the days when patches were scattered who the hell knows where across the internet and it was hard to find out whether or not you were even at the current version of a game.

You could try to connect to a server and be told your client was outdated, so you hunt around and find a patch from the developer website or some gaming website or (shudder) fileplanet or whatever, then patch the game, then try to connect to another server and see that while your client is up to date, the server's isn't. Automatic updates were created to streamline all of that, so everyone who has an internet connection should be on the same client at the same time. This is a pain in the ass when someone releases a broken update, because then you have to patch the game, then patch the patch, and you've officially gone through the looking glass at that point. There was also that delightful issue last year where Windows 10 would "update" users to an older version of the GeForce drivers, then GeForce Experience would see that they were outdated and update them to the newest version, then Windows 10 would see that they weren't the same version number as their "updated" versions and update to older drivers in a vicious(ly dumb) cycle.

In the old, old days it wasn't a huge issue because games might only get one or sometimes two patches, and they would just throw it on the CD for later releases of the game, but with most games now shipping two to three months before they're finished and then just having a "patch schedule" after release automatic updates are absolutely vital.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ... goddammit ...

ftdolyvnb8on.jpg

Thanks @destroyah87 for some awesome truck sim fun! I can't wait to run cars over left and right cruise my way across the west in a sweet rig to the sound of good tunes. <3<3<3

Now step away from the gift-a-pult before you hurt yourself. That thing's dangerous!

ats.jpg 66.3K
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

Auto-update is a godsend if you were playing games back in the days when patches were scattered who the hell knows where across the internet and it was hard to find out whether or not you were even at the current version of a game.

You could try to connect to a server and be told your client was outdated, so you hunt around and find a patch from the developer website or some gaming website or (shudder) fileplanet or whatever, then patch the game, then try to connect to another server and see that while your client is up to date, the server's isn't. Automatic updates were created to streamline all of that, so everyone who has an internet connection should be on the same client at the same time. This is a pain in the ass when someone releases a broken update, because then you have to patch the game, then patch the patch, and you've officially gone through the looking glass at that point. There was also that delightful issue last year where Windows 10 would "update" users to an older version of the GeForce drivers, then GeForce Experience would see that they were outdated and update them to the newest version, then Windows 10 would see that they weren't the same version number as their "updated" versions and update to older drivers in a vicious(ly dumb) cycle.

In the old, old days it wasn't a huge issue because games might only get one or sometimes two patches, and they would just throw it on the CD for later releases of the game, but with most games now shipping two to three months before they're finished and then just having a "patch schedule" after release automatic updates are absolutely vital.

Oh no, believe me, I don't miss the old days, because that shit was nuts. I remember the Company of Heroes patches being the worst because it never had cumulative patches, and all the patches were diff updates, so you have to hunt down each individual version one by one and then run them sequentially, literally a dozen of them. And being diff patches, each took forever.

This era is amazing in comparison, but sometimes (and those times are scant, admittedly), you miss that old school flexibility as in Aegeri's case.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    I love this era of modern patching, but it has to be carefully considered when to push out patches. This is why I liked the developers of Xenonauts, who had an experimental "We're going to make radical changes and see what happens" branch people could opt into and the regular one. Important bug or similar? Pushed out the fix. Major potential game breaking gameplay adjustment or change? They kept it only to the experimental branch until they were sure it worked.

However, I don't want a return to the Company of Heroes patching days. I have nightmares about that.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider over the weekend. Did all the optional tombs but didn't bother going back through and finishing all the little challenges like cut down these flags, or shoot these targets.
    Really good game. I really should have pushed the difficulty up a notch or two from the default though, the gunplay sections were a bit too easy.
    But still super enjoyed my time with it.

Other than that I've been working on Darkest Dungeon, slowly upgrading the town, trying to clear all of the apprentice bosses. Haven't had much luck with the few veteran runs I've attempted so far.

And playing a bit of the Witness here and there. It makes my head hurt sometimes. I was stonewalled on a few areas where I just could not pick up on the rules for the puzzles, but then I found a few I that did click and finished off another one and a half areas of the map.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Oh no, believe me, I don't miss the old days, because that shit was nuts. I remember the Company of Heroes patches being the worst because it never had cumulative patches, and all the patches were diff updates, so you have to hunt down each individual version one by one and then run them sequentially, literally a dozen of them. And being diff patches, each took forever.

This era is amazing in comparison, but sometimes (and those times are scant, admittedly), you miss that old school flexibility as in Aegeri's case.

Eh? Company of Heroes was the worst offender when it came to Steam patching. Every patch was easily multi-gig because it needed to re-download whole files which were easily modified by those cumulative patches. So yeah, you had to hunt down a shitload of patches, meanwhile, on Steam, every small balance patch was easily over a GB.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Company of Heroes was even worse off steam, where you needed to find each successive patch, apply it and then the next one. If you missed a patch somewhere, whoops, you were stuffed! It was a nightmare and is why I stopped playing the game. At least Steam removes the hide and seek minigame.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Seeing a post from JaysonFour made my heart warm up by a full 3.6 degrees. <3<3<3

Don't worry "Pixelated Pixie" my Super-Secret Secret-Things-Finder-Peoples have located the Secret Location of the gift-a-pult and I am sneaking in to disable it while wearing my Sneakiest-Sneaky-Hat. (Seen in my picture to the left.) I'm going in, wish me luck.

"Oh wow, this thing is impressive. ... Ok, where to start? Hmm, what does this button do?"

"Oops."

Hey @destroyah87 Let me have a look at that gift-a-pult. I know a guy who has a degree in mechanical thingamajigs so that's basically the same as me having it, right?

<poke>... <poke poke>

Well that doesn't appear to have done anyth-*Thunk* *Wooooosh*

... damnit.

Huh. Those went really far.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Hmm, the cats seem to be playing Downwell at home without me.
    The downside to leaving a wireless keyboard on the couch I guess.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »
    Thanks @Lindsay Lohan for Brutal Legend! I know this one has some pretty mixed opinions on it, but it looks like a super funny game.

I love Brutal Legend a bunch, it's quite neat.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    So I'm getting into ETS2, and I realized. I need to learn to drive in europe. I don't know what the signs mean?
    Seeing a post from JaysonFour made my heart warm up by a full 3.6 degrees. <3<3<3

Don't worry "Pixelated Pixie" my Super-Secret Secret-Things-Finder-Peoples have located the Secret Location of the gift-a-pult and I am sneaking in to disable it while wearing my Sneakiest-Sneaky-Hat. (Seen in my picture to the left.) I'm going in, wish me luck.

"Oops."

Hey @destroyah87 Let me have a look at that gift-a-pult. I know a guy who has a degree in mechanical thingamajigs so that's basically the same as me having it, right?

<poke>... <poke poke>

Well that doesn't appear to have done anyth-*Thunk* *Wooooosh*

... damnit.

Huh. Those went really far.

I wonder were those things went. Hey Ed, you checked to make sure no cats put things in the pult before you looked at it right? Cats are sneaky. . .

This discussion has been closed.