As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Yay! I'm not the only person who likes The Bureau!

lies!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Downwell is pretty neat. I'm having trouble separating what hurts me from jumping on it to what doesn't hurt me from jumping on it. Other than that I do like how quick and simple the game is.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Wait, are there people in this thread who don't already own Bastion, FTL, Portal, and all those other games people can never give away?

Tell me about it. Tried to give away a key to FTL on here for ten months and no one ever bit.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Not any more, I Now own FTL and that was the only one i believe i was missing.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Downwell is pretty neat. I'm having trouble separating what hurts me from jumping on it to what doesn't hurt me from jumping on it. Other than that I do like how quick and simple the game is.

Red enemies hurt you. Shoot them to death or go around them.

Basically red is bad in game...Except red is also gems and life so...

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I also wanted to say about NFS, It did make me want to install burnout paradise and play that. The cops were kind of fun a few times, but other than that, I think I had more fun in burnout.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    After playing quite a bit of NFS: Most Wanted (2012), I've come to the conclusion that it's complete bullshit.

I remember when NFS games were fun. That seems like a long time ago.

im going to agree with you here for the solo part of the game, im sure multiplayer FNG was loads of fun and i did get it for free which makes me like it better than i should, but
    two things are really bothering me to the point im not gonna play solo anymore. first the dlc is all in the game, just sitting there, but when get to a place where you would access it it opens up the origin store with youre game still running in the background. i tried to switch cars once when running from the cops and got busted cause the car was actually dlc. which brings me to two and the worst part, the cops. oh i hate the cops in this game. its not something that would ever be a feature im looking for in a game but i normally dont mind it, but these cops are almost impossible to run from sometimes. sometimes i get away quick, other times its 20min of trying to turbo away in my src only to have them fly past me (makes perfect sense) or making a clean getaway only to have a roadblock show up in front of me out of nowhere even though the game said i got away. blarg.

That does sound a bit like MW(05). I remember a chase that just...ended...when they boxed me in somehow.

Mostly, it's just a natural result of EA's vaunted rubberband race physics.

The game kept freezing for me, and yeah, I don't understand how you run from the cops. It was hit and miss for me on that.

In MW(12)? I don't know. I never played it. In 05, it was about breaking line of sight either by hiding or blowing through objects to block pursuit. The higher the wanted level, the longer you have to run (unless you can hide without being seen). Getting to a garage to swap cars would lower heat, too.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    Orivon wrote: »
    Trying to decide between two games and I'm hoping to get some help on which one to pick.

The first game is To Be or Not To Be. Saw people posting about this in some past threads and it looked interesting. I'm wondering how varied the endings are from each other and how long it typically takes to get one.

The other game is Templar Battleforce. Looks like a neat SRPG, I'm just wondering if anybody has played it and can give some opinions on it.

If you want to try out the mobile verison, Amazon has To Be Or Not to Be for free on their app store.

There goes my fucking evening.

• Options
    the last racing game i really got into, like spent some serious time playing was midnight club los angeles. i thought it did a lot of things right, and also i lived in losangeles for awhile a few years back and it was fun driving around areas i knew, like i could drive up to the building that i used to work in near the intersection of the 405 and santa monica

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    the last racing game i really got into, like spent some serious time playing was midnight club los angeles. i thought it did a lot of things right, and also i lived in losangeles for awhile a few years back and it was fun driving around areas i knew, like i could drive up to the building that i used to work in near the intersection of the 405 and santa monica

You should check out True Crime Streets of LA, then. I tried so hard to get into Orange County but it wouldn't let me.

I dug Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast for being able to drive through parts of San Francisco that I'd walked around. It was a big damn thrill.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Two more games beat.

Nihilumbra is an alright puzzle platformer. Tad on the easy side, but there's a new game+ hard mode which seems sufficiently difficult for people who are into that sort of stuff. It is, however, an example of the whole narrator thing not being done well. Just playing through the game with this voice telling you how your character feels. Pretty poor violation of "show, don't tell." Insert Futurama reference here. Still, it's alright, as games go.

Asphyxia, on the other hand....hum. This was a gifted VN, and it's....something. That's for sure. The billing seemed to imply it would be a romance game, but it's less that and more an exploration of depression? The only choices offered all have their outcomes hinged on some previous character conflict which happened months before the start of the game which you don't know at the time of making your choices, and.....honestly, none of the characters are particularly likeable? It's a bunch of adolescent girls being catty and prats to one another in excruciating detail, with the player character being the one suffering from depression, so inside of her head you get all of the existential crises which that entails, with the additional spice of the coming-of-age realization that she's gay. (Which isn't a negative in the slightest, and is an important experience to have out there for others to go through the realization, but when crossed with the depression aspect, it makes the whole thing seem so gloomy).

Looking at some of the steam reviews, it seems that all the characters are supposed to be teenage female representations of famous British poets? I don't know - maybe there's something more to be gleaned from it if you're familiar with said poets, but I'm not. I'd say give this one a pass. It rambles quite a bit and has like.....an entire three scenes devoted to the characters playing the Game of Life. For like 20 minutes. It's not without its charms, but I can't really recommend.

• Options
    After playing quite a bit of NFS: Most Wanted (2012), I've come to the conclusion that it's complete bullshit.

im going to agree with you here for the solo part of the game, im sure multiplayer FNG was loads of fun and i did get it for free which makes me like it better than i should, but
    two things are really bothering me to the point im not gonna play solo anymore. first the dlc is all in the game, just sitting there, but when get to a place where you would access it it opens up the origin store with youre game still running in the background. i tried to switch cars once when running from the cops and got busted cause the car was actually dlc. which brings me to two and the worst part, the cops. oh i hate the cops in this game. its not something that would ever be a feature im looking for in a game but i normally dont mind it, but these cops are almost impossible to run from sometimes. sometimes i get away quick, other times its 20min of trying to turbo away in my src only to have them fly past me (makes perfect sense) or making a clean getaway only to have a roadblock show up in front of me out of nowhere even though the game said i got away. blarg.

That does sound a bit like MW(05). I remember a chase that just...ended...when they boxed me in somehow.

The game kept freezing for me, and yeah, I don't understand how you run from the cops. It was hit and miss for me on that.

In MW(12)? I don't know. I never played it. In 05, it was about breaking line of sight either by hiding or blowing through objects to block pursuit. The higher the wanted level, the longer you have to run (unless you can hide without being seen). Getting to a garage to swap cars would lower heat, too.

Whatever the free one was? The one we used for FNG? I get how it was supposed to work, but you could not outrun cops. They always where right there, regardless of noss or not. Maybe I just didn't play NFS as much, but it just got old.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Sleep wasn't the escape that I had wanted! As I woke up to GIFTS from @Halfazedninja and @chocobolicious . Look at these! One speaks to my alcoholism and the other to my love of one eyed gi- wait what the hell is this?

i57ra5gf5z0j.png

c3c228v57lnf.png

Th... thank you?

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Wait, are there people in this thread who don't already own Bastion, FTL, Portal, and all those other games people can never give away?

That reminds me, I need to finish Portal. Maybe today is the day!

• Options

Whatever the free one was? The one we used for FNG? I get how it was supposed to work, but you could not outrun cops. They always where right there, regardless of noss or not. Maybe I just didn't play NFS as much, but it just got old.

Then that would be (12).

And a shitty design philosophy that thinks players will find it challenging when the AI cannot be fooled.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I am sadly unable to play portal to completion. After a certain number of levels when the portal jumping started getting crazy it was causing some seriously bad headaches, so I had to stop.

Petesalzl on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    My Vampire: Bloodlines playthrough was going so well, another to tick of the list and then XCOM 2 came along. I mean if I don't save the Earth who will!

Still trying to avoid reading or watching anything about Firewatch too, want to go in completely blind on Tuesday.

I'll get to you someday, backlog.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I think I discovered something about myself recently; I really, really don't like playing games which aren't "complete". This Winter sale is really the first time I've been able to splash on some recent-ish games, so I picked up Darkest Dungeon and Pillars of Eternity - only to find that I've been struggling to get through them because I keep thinking "Well, in a few weeks there'll be the release of update X or expansion Y, so why don't I wait to play until then?"

Might be sticking to Game of the Year editions from now on.

Burnage on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I think I discovered something about myself recently; I really, really don't like playing games which aren't "complete". This Winter sale is the really the first time I've been able to splash on some recent-ish games, so I picked up Darkest Dungeon and Pillars of Eternity - only to find that I've been struggling to get through them because I keep thinking "Well, in a few weeks there'll be the release of update X or expansion Y, so why don't I wait to play until then?"

I definitely understand this. I don't usually mind missing the content from expansions. I just play the game as it is when I'm playing and then almost never go back for expansion content (unless the game is called "Borderlands" something...)

Where I've felt more pain around this recently is that devs aren't just releasing more content, they are also releasing balance fixes and enhanced UI amenities and better NPC pathing and shinier shinies and boomier boomies and the like. Don't get me wrong; I'm glad as hell that devs these days are in a position to keep supporting and improving games. But when I hear that there are improvements like these coming down the pike for a game I'm already playing or already played, I do feel a little bummed that I didn't wait for a GOTY. I guess I could go back, but I never do. There are just too many other games to play.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    Was talking to @Karoz about games and FTL came up and i said i didn't have it but needed to at some point and added to my wishlist.

56gvph9vrmsn.jpg

Less than a damn hour. @mere_immortal Thanks! Now i can battle away in space and worship the almighty Space Spiders.

What's the FTL: Advanced Edition? Is that what they changed the name to when they added the Lanius?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    Was talking to @Karoz about games and FTL came up and i said i didn't have it but needed to at some point and added to my wishlist.

56gvph9vrmsn.jpg

Less than a damn hour. @mere_immortal Thanks! Now i can battle away in space and worship the almighty Space Spiders.

What's the FTL: Advanced Edition? Is that what they changed the name to when they added the Lanius?
    Yup.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    They also added in the hacking and mind control systems and did some amount of rebalancing. Plus the final boss is more difficult.

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    I think I discovered something about myself recently; I really, really don't like playing games which aren't "complete". This Winter sale is the really the first time I've been able to splash on some recent-ish games, so I picked up Darkest Dungeon and Pillars of Eternity - only to find that I've been struggling to get through them because I keep thinking "Well, in a few weeks there'll be the release of update X or expansion Y, so why don't I wait to play until then?"

I definitely understand this. I don't usually mind missing the content from expansions. I just play the game as it is when I'm playing and then almost never go back for expansion content (unless the game is called "Borderlands" something...)

Where I've felt more pain around this recently is that devs aren't just releasing more content, they are also releasing balance fixes and enhanced UI amenities and better NPC pathing and shinier shinies and boomier boomies and the like. Don't get me wrong; I'm glad as hell that devs these days are in a position to keep supporting and improving games. But when I hear that there are improvements like these coming down the pike for a game I'm already playing or already played, I do feel a little bummed that I didn't wait for a GOTY. I guess I could go back, but I never do. There are just too many other games to play.

Well, I'm old enough to remember having to dial directly into the computers of the publishers or devs to download patches or other updates. If the game has been released, it's 'done'. If they update it and I'm still playing or just really, really liked it, I'll get that. If I finished the game, then I probably won't care to go back. I've got so many other gaming options that when it comes down to it, if it doesn't become a huge favourite then only 'persistent' games (such as sports or anything without a strict narrative) will see any kind of replay.

Also, being extremely low on funds makes it easier to wait for any GOTY editions of games I might like. Or at least for all DLC to be released and to get good discounts on both. Also, games that are likely to receive constant updates tend to be shooters, usually FPS, and I just don't care for playing them anyway. So if I do, I'm unlikely to really care about 'balance' or whatever. Only stability.

And, waiting for a GOTY edition could be futile. For example, while I still have some things to wrap up for achievements in Arkham City, they haven't bothered to release a GOTY for Origins. So then you get reactions like this:
    I expected as much, to be honest. Been lurking around the forums since long ago. I was hoping to get this game even at least for collector's sake/mania, but i certainly as hell am NOT going to touch it, if it does not have ONE, COMPLETE package/edition charged ONCE. I either get games with free updates/DLCs (call me witcher), or complete/goty editions. The waiting game is godly, as well as raising patience. Making filthy rich some cheap swindlers, though, on the other hand...

I'd hate to live my life thinking like that.

• Options
    I own oblivion: gold and have little desire to go back and play dlc.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

That reminds me, I need to finish Portal. Maybe today is the day!

I really wish my wife would finish Portal 1 so she can move onto Portal 2. She last played it a few years ago, but took a break when she had to move. She thinks she's "almost done", although truthfully, she's only about halfway there. :)

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Generally speaking, if the game has a GOTY-type all-in-one edition, or a "season pass" (i.e. a DLC in one place edition), then it's going to be hella more considered than something like, say, Mass Effect. Their DLC model basically soured me on being interested even before I played the game.

And it's also the reason I'm waiting to play Witcher 3 until I can get the season pass over on GoG for cheaper, since that's where my W3 is; if I beat the game, it's doubtful I'll have the time or inclination to come back to it.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Mass Effect's DLC model was 'Here, wait nearly a year for this really cool story mission!' followed by 'Here, wait another year for this shitty battle arena.'

For 2 and 3 I think they were a victim of EA policy (and Project Ten Dollar), not that it's any better. 'Here, have a bunch of weapons and costume changes that we won't even bother doing for all the crew!'

On the plus side, only the DLC for 3 is 'necessary' for making any sense at all. For 1 and 2, it doesn't really add or affect much.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Guys XCOM2 is pretty great.

I can't overstate how much of a difference having the character pool and a randomized start makes.

"Oooooh shit, first team has [friend]! Gotta keep 'em alive!" and then a whole new set of map sectors to play in and random missions and such. It's so much more fun to play the first few months over and over than it was in EU, where it was just about getting enough cash for a satellite forever and ever.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    N++ is coming to Steam sometime.

I remember playing the original flash game it was based on at least 10 years ago. Been a while.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to wipe my character pool. It keeps generating my brother. Over and over.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Your brother is still alive, right?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Your brother is still alive, right?

Well one of him is.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Went back and cranked down some of the other paths. I suspect that the key to this game is knowing the philosophical bent of the poets/philosophers/writers in question. There's a bunch of hooks for potentially interesting conversations if you're aware of that stuff.

Also, it seems like I ended up going down the most annoying path my first playthrough. Ah well.

• Options

Then that would be (12).

And a shitty design philosophy that thinks players will find it challenging when the AI cannot be fooled.

It just occurred to me, Are you supposed to "evade" the cops by smashing them? That seems like the only way? That doesn't seem like good game design.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Take THAT Dying light.
    Really enjoyable game. But that final chapter was everything wrong with AAA gaming in one go. Would recommend still though.

8tpakzzn6f6a.png

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Quical wrote: »
    Take THAT Dying light.
    Really enjoyable game. But that final chapter was everything wrong with AAA gaming in one go. Would recommend still though.

8tpakzzn6f6a.png

You people that beat games. I haven't beaten a game in so long. I have Game ADD.

• Options
    Mass Effect's DLC model was 'Here, wait nearly a year for this really cool story mission!' followed by 'Here, wait another year for this shitty battle arena.'

For 2 and 3 I think they were a victim of EA policy (and Project Ten Dollar), not that it's any better. 'Here, have a bunch of weapons and costume changes that we won't even bother doing for all the crew!'

On the plus side, only the DLC for 3 is 'necessary' for making any sense at all. For 1 and 2, it doesn't really add or affect much.

i personally really enjoyed the battle thing they added to ME1, even if it was like two years after the game came out. but then again i played so much multiplayer in ME3, atleast twice as much as i played the actual game, so that all makes sense since im pretty sure the ting in ME1 was basically a beta version of the multiplayer which they intended to be its own game

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The battle arena DLC for Mass Effect 1 was terrible, and much of that is a side-effect of ME1's combat actually being terrible.

The ME2 DLC companions were cool, and Lair of the Shadow Broker is widely consider among the best DLC of all time. Overlord was cool and creepy.

The ME3 DLC... Omega is fun but the most skippable, Leviathan gets really creepy and helps explain some stuff more, and Citadel unseated Lair of the Shadow Broker as best DLC... plus it has a fun battle arena included.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I own oblivion: gold and have little desire to go back and play dlc.

The Shivering Isles DLC is the best part of Oblivion.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Thanks @Iolo for the classy gift of Dungeon of the Endless. I actually was looking for coop games last weekend and saw that there on my wishlist. Will have to try out coop mode in it with my boy.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
This discussion has been closed.