Options

Election Season: More Argument than Duck Season v. Rabbit Season

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Someone just yelled "Trump for President" during Marco Rubio's speech.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man, I hope the True Conservatives run a third party candidate in the Fall

it would be the equivalent of the entire modern Conservative movement falling on their own sword

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Chris Mathews suggested a Clinton/Kasich ticket.

I'd rather vote for running a car engine in a closed garage.

Chris Matthews is an idiot.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    man, I hope the True Conservatives run a third party candidate in the Fall

it would be the equivalent of the entire modern Conservative movement falling on their own sword

I'm very anxious about the Trump crowd, winor lose

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Rubio officially suspended

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

who gets his delegates?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think delegates pledged to a candidate who drops out of the race usually switch to whoever that candidate endorses, though they are not forced to do so.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

who gets his delegates?

Pretty sure Rubio is endorsing "Not Trump"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Key points:

Cruz is a scumbag

Democrats hire a lot of people

Rubio is not a scumbag on this particular issue!

Trump hires nobody for very much (except his campaign manager, who is reportedly making at least 25k a month).

Sanders pays his intern

Clinton hires more women than the Republicans do put together.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Options
    In case anybody missed Rubio's concession speech an archive is up already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAPo1dgrHms

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Did the GOP just flatline?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Who's gonna represent the sneeple and reptilian americans now?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    sanders has definitely inherited a lot of the young ron paul crowd

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    sanders has definitely inherited a lot of the young ron paul crowd

In spirit if not in actual votes, because dear god I hope vocal Ron Paul supporters learned something over the course of 8-12 years.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
  • Options
    Talking with a friend on Steam.

She's pissed because she was turned away from a Chicago polling station because she recently moved and the address on her driver's license didn't match her current address.

She brought 3 bills, a state ID, social security card...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Meanwhile, Kasich and Hillary win Ohio.

Republican results; Kasich 43%, Trump 36.5%, Cruz 14.6%, Rubio 3.4%.

Democratic results; Hillary 59.6 %, Bernie 39.3%.

Given how Kasich's either too stupid or too optimistic to drop out, especially in light of winning the swing state he used to govern, I expect his campaign's going to keep limping along for a good long while.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Clinton taking Ohio kinda puts a bullet in that "Clinton only wins Southern states that don't matter" argument.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    so what are the vegas odds of everyone caving into Cruz to defeat trump, losing and then getting a large backed third party candidate?

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    so what are the vegas odds of everyone caving into Cruz to defeat trump, losing and then getting a large backed third party candidate?

Not high, but there are so many possibilities the odds of any single one are not that high.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Clinton taking Ohio kinda puts a bullet in that "Clinton only wins Southern states that don't matter" argument.

That argument was pretty shitty to begin with given the 2008 red-state primary winner was Obama, which as we all know resulted in a crushing Democratic defeat followed by a year of President McCain and seven years of President Sarah Palin.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Who's wanting to guess what a hypothetical new conservative party will be called after the Republican Party maybe implodes after this cycle?

Constitutionalists?

• Options
    The Whigs will make a comeback.

• Options
    Cruz likely can't pass trump in pure delegate count by the time the election rolls around. The strategy, as it stands, would be for Kasich and Cruz to gain enough delegates to make it so Trump gets a plurality and not a majority, which would open the door for delegates to switch to another candidate. Essentially, they'd trigger a second vote of delegates if one candidate doesn't have over 50% of the delegates available. This has a ton of risks involved for the GOP. It alienates a large part of their base. They don't have a lot of love for Ted Cruz, either, and Cruz isn't really a great candidate for a general election either. And everyone else has suspended their campaign, except for Kasich, who has won...one state.

But, it would keep Trump off of their ballot, and might let them salvage something in Congress. And while Trump is still likely to do enough damage to prevent a Republican from taking the White House, in this scenario, by the time this would come around, it would be too late for Trump to get on the ballot as a third party in a large number of states. That's assuming he'd run a third party campaign, which would be very expensive for something that would be a near impossible chance of victory.

If conservatives want a third party candidate themselves, to counter a Trump presidential bid, they would, essentially, have to start that work, like, yesterday, to get on as many ballots as they can. And the requirements for third parties are super high, so....good luck, I guess?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Who's wanting to guess what a hypothetical new conservative party will be called after the Republican Party maybe implodes after this cycle?

Constitutionalists?

Democrats

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The new Republican party will be called The Republican Party.

• Options
    The Reform Party.

• Options
    Missouri looks to be the evening's entertainment. Close race for both the Democrats and the Republicans.

• Options
    If a new political party formed in the wake of Trump splitting the GOP (and this is a massive hypothetical), I would imagine it would be split between the nationalism and...you know, near outright racism of the base that Trump has courted, and...I don't know. I would have to guess the other half would be, by necessity, more moderate, at the very least on social issues. I'm certain the GOP has lost people to the Democrats over a number of these issues in the past 20 years or so, and aiming at a more progressive social agenda while still maintaining a very conservative view on economics and foreign policy could be a way of drawing moderates from the left.

I'm not a political scientist, by any means, but...this country is going to continue to have racists, and it's going to continue to have bigots, and various other awful people. And those are the people that the Republican Party is, largely, having problems corralling in this primary. If there is any split in that party, and it involves the GOP elites distancing themselves from Trump and what he stands for, it's going to take them pivoting away from the people that aren't going to vote for them anyways, right? And they'd need to find some way to make up for the loss of those votes and also find a way to weaken the Democratic party, if they'd ever want a shot at dethroning the Democrats ever again.

I mean, I don't...think this will actually happen. I think the GOP definitely will go through some serious changes by the time the next election cycle rolls around, but both parties are so entrenched now that any sort of massive change to the status quo is both incredibly difficult and very unlikely.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    There will be no brokered convention or fractured party

Once trump gets the nom, it will be business as usual (except far more openly offensive)

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The First Order

• Options
    The He-man woman haters club

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Get Rid Of Slimy girlS

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    only if politicians are required to wear whigs at all times while in office

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    only if politicians are required to wear whigs at all times while in office

I...

Are you advocating skinning and tanning a political party?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The new Republican Party will skew towards a younger demographic:

The Republican Partay.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    if I were on the council of lizard men who manages the Republican party I couldn't see myself doing anything other than handing the nomination to Trump, letting him lose and start reorienting for 2020

a brokered convention or an independent establishment candidate (which is a hilarious oxymoron, by the way) could do way more long-term damage to the party's credibility than a Trump candidacy. for years afterwards your reactionary wing would be claiming he could have beaten Hillary if only the fat cats had let him

let Trump lose to Hillary and fade from politics, then find yourself a candidate who can appeal to the populist fringe without being a total moron. there has to be some way to take advantage of xenophobia and protectionism without completely sacrificing corporate interests

this is all if I were evil of course

This discussion has been closed.