As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Yeah, the whole appeal of Netflix was that I could ditch cable and save money. If I suddenly have to start paying for multiple streaming services to get the same experience that I used to get with cable then the industry doesn't understand its customers at all. I don't want to pay for CBS All Access for Star Trek, BBC iPlayer for Dr. Who, and Netflix for Orange is the New Black.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Cable doesn't want to understand what customers want. They want to understand what customers are willing to pay for.

I suspect that there's many people out there who would bitch about separate services, but still subscribe.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Over the course of this week, I watched the last three episodes of S9 (excluding the Christmas special), and I will gladly admit that I had a lump in my throat especially throughout much of the final episode. While I minded that to some extent certain plot details weren't handled as well as they should have (e.g. the whole question of the chronolock and the quantum shade and why it could be taken from Rigsy but not from Clara, which rooms in the castle reset and which don't, Rassilon's relevance - or lack thereof - to "Hell Bent"), I definitely thought, and very much felt, that they handled the Doctor-Clara relationship beautifully.

I've now seen S8, S1, S2 and S9 (in that order), and I definitely like Capaldi's Doctor and Clara best so far (in fact, I think I may have a bit of a crush on, well, both of them really), so I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to watch S3-S7 with an open mind. Then again, it's well possible that I won't watch them any time soon anyway, depending on whether Netflix Europe is keeping them or not.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Over the course of this week, I watched the last three episodes of S9 (excluding the Christmas special), and I will gladly admit that I had a lump in my throat especially throughout much of the final episode. While I minded that to some extent certain plot details weren't handled as well as they should have (e.g. the whole question of the chronolock and the quantum shade and why it could be taken from Rigsy but not from Clara, which rooms in the castle reset and which don't, Rassilon's relevance - or lack thereof - to "Hell Bent"), I definitely thought, and very much felt, that they handled the Doctor-Clara relationship beautifully.

I've now seen S8, S1, S2 and S9 (in that order), and I definitely like Capaldi's Doctor and Clara best so far (in fact, I think I may have a bit of a crush on, well, both of them really), so I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to watch S3-S7 with an open mind. Then again, it's well possible that I won't watch them any time soon anyway, depending on whether Netflix Europe is keeping them or not.

At least treat yourself to S5-6, they were wonderful too :)

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'd say S5 probably has the tightest season arc, even if the plot threads it deliberately leaves dangling aren't dealt with effectively in my opinion.

• Options
    S5 is the first Matt Smith one, right? I think I've actually got that lying around at home, having got it as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. I'm still hoping to watch all of the seasons I haven't seen (at least of NuWho), I'll just have to make sure I don't get hung up on "It's not Capaldi'n'Coleman, innit". (Truth to tell, I quite liked Tennant's first season, though I'm at the very least ambivalent with respect to Rose/Billie Piper; the actress is better than I expected her to be, yet I often find the character grating.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    S5 is the first Matt Smith one, right? I think I've actually got that lying around at home, having got it as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. I'm still hoping to watch all of the seasons I haven't seen (at least of NuWho), I'll just have to make sure I don't get hung up on "It's not Capaldi'n'Coleman, innit". (Truth to tell, I quite liked Tennant's first season, though I'm at the very least ambivalent with respect to Rose/Billie Piper; the actress is better than I expected her to be, yet I often find the character grating.)

Well then GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE! Tennant switches up companions in S3 and S4.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Wait so the seasons I've paid for are all still good right?

Because if not I'm gonna be pissed

I've been buying mine on Amazon for several years now, and they're all still there. Of course, now I need to go back and buy seasons 1-4, but whatevs, they're worth it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    UK-only, so I can't take advantage of it, but it looks like the BBC shop has put a TON of stuff on sale for Doctor Who

http://www.bbcshop.com/category/price-drop/icat/pricedrop1#esp_hitsperpage=102&esp_cf=pdxtgenresubject&esp_filter_pdxtgenresubject=Doctor Who

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Surprises me there's still no toy of Capaldi's screwdriver. Maybe they're having trouble making a cheap lil' replica of it, the sequential lights seem a lot more complicated than previous ones.

That said, they made a version of Smiff's with touch control that was only a couple £ more than the regular one, so I assume these nerds know what they're doing...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    No rampant speculation about the new companion yet? Capaldi says...
    We're going to have a new companion, because we're just obviously about to start filming the new season - it's going to be someone very different who will be announced shortly. I really can't say who that is, but the whole dynamic is going to be very different - but that's good too, you know, it's a different character.
    I assume that means the next companion will be a young woman from the present day who is brave, clever, doesn't put up with the doctor's nonsense, and perhaps has slightly shorter hair.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It's Steven Moffat. Why else do you think Peter is sticking around?

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Surprises me there's still no toy of Capaldi's screwdriver. Maybe they're having trouble making a cheap lil' replica of it, the sequential lights seem a lot more complicated than previous ones.

That said, they made a version of Smiff's with touch control that was only a couple £ more than the regular one, so I assume these nerds know what they're doing...

I was wondering if they were waiting for it to be in the show more, so it's a bit more recognisable amongst the kids and what-not. *shrug* All I know is I want one bad!

• Options
    It's not flawless, but boy, "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood" is a great double episode. I'm amazed at how much the show has moved forward in terms of craftsmanship, ambition and complexity since those first Christopher Eccleston episodes.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    you don't even understand

I would be so fucking down

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    you don't even understand

I would be so fucking down

Why do you think I posted it.

Cause the idea is fucking awesome

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    We already got that with the Ash vs Evil Dead series.

Mad Man? check
    Companions? double check
    Fighting evil monsters? Totally checked
    Saving the day with unique tools? Yup.
    Box to travel in? Check. Sure it was a trailer rather than a phone booth, but a box is a box.
    A cliffhanger ending that left us wanting more? check.

Really, the only things missing are time travel and a visit to the same quarry that every planet seems to have on it.
    And Daleks.

see317 on
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    We already got that with the Ash vs Evil Dead series.

Mad Man? check
    Companions? double check
    Fighting evil monsters? Totally checked
    Saving the day with unique tools? Yup.
    Box to travel in? Check. Sure it was a trailer rather than a phone booth, but a box is a box.
    A cliffhanger ending that left us wanting more? check.

Really, the only things missing are time travel and a visit to the same quarry that every planet seems to have on it.
    And Daleks.

No, no no no.

Its American Doctor Who, it wouldn't use the BBC Quarry.

It'd use Kirks Rock for everything, forever, and from 500 different angles.

• Options
    I know it's not real, but I want it so bad anyway.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    We already have American Doctor Who, it's called Rick & Morty.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

Not really, unless it was Doctor Who on meth and lsd

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »

Not really, unless it was Doctor Who on meth and lsd

Like he said, we have American Doctor Who

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2016
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

A girl in Overalls? How surprising!

So Going by haircuts

flattop- Tough Outsider who's skeptical at first
    Beiber- Charming reluctant lead in over his head. Probably meets the Doctor
    Girl- Mechanic Clara
    Dreads- guy that is way better at acting than everyone but is just gonna be a comic relief stereotype

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

So Going by haircuts

Girl- Mechanic Clara
    Dreads- guy that is way better at acting than everyone but is just gonna be a comic relief stereotype

"Dreads" is Vivian Oparah, according to the article. While perhaps it's not smart on my part to make assumptions, I'd hazard a guess that "Vivian" is not a guy.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I just took a quick glance at the photo. My mistake

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Houn wrote: »

So Going by haircuts

Girl- Mechanic Clara

"Dreads" is Vivian Oparah, according to the article. While perhaps it's not smart on my part to make assumptions, I'd hazard a guess that "Vivian" is not a guy.

Vivian is not uncommon as a name for males, but Vivian Oparah is female as far as I know.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    New companion announced today. It's not me, so that's disappointing.

• Options
    If it's not Bruce Campbell they dropped the ball.

• Options
    Bruce Campbell can't be the new companion - he's going to be the next Doctor.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Those 2 things are not incompatible.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    If it's not Bruce Campbell they dropped the ball.

I'm not saying that it can't be Bruce, but those would awfully small shoes if it was.

doctor-who-companion-shoes.jpg

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    This is pretty mean. Nerds now watching Graham Taylor remember his tenure at Watford under duress.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Been waiting for this to show up on youtube so here ye go folks :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzPNcePZzNQ

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Doctor Who writers, there's a difference between a character being sassy and acting like they're 6 years old.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Oh shit...

Someone in the writing room saw one of Donnas episodes and thought "man, it's been a while since we had a character who's as gobby as she is annoying and stupid".

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    But Donna was great.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yeah I liked that clip. I dunno, seems fun. Will need more evidence.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The companion just being another plucky young lady immediately sets my expectations super low, but maybe she'll surprise me.

This discussion has been closed.