As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take the cannoli, leave the [Movies] Thread (contains Lights Out spoilers, quarantined)

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited July 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
If you’re an HBO or HBO Now subscriber (or if you’ve somehow managed to obtain a password) you currently have access to an interesting cinematic beast: a 424-minute cut of Francis Ford Coppola’s first two Godfather films, recut in chronological order and bolstered with a number of scenes cut from the theatrical releases in 1972 and 1974.

The Godfather Epic, as it’s being called, begins with the story of a young Vito Corleone (played by 10-year-old Oreste Baldini, and later a 30-year-old Robert DeNiro) as he transforms himself from destitute immigrant to powerful mafioso. (You might recognize this section as the flashback scenes that were interspersed throughout The Godfather: Part II.) The action then leaps forward to 1945, as a 49-year-old Marlon Brando takes over the role. Aside from some newly re-inserted scenes here and there, this is pretty much the entirety of the original Godfather film from start to finish. This section ends with Michael, the youngest Corleone son (Al Pacino), taking the reins of the business after his father’s death, and the rest of the narrative follows Michael’s storyline from the late ’50s section of Part II. (No footage from 1990’s Part III is included, for obvious reasons.)

Older fans might remember a similar cut—marketed alternately as The Godfather Saga or The Godfather: The Complete Novel For Television—that aired as a miniseries on NBC back in 1977 and was later released on VHS. While this sequential edit is an interesting way to rewatch the films after you’ve already seen them a half dozen times, it does lose some of the cinematic magic that made these films the classics they are today. The tragedy of Michael’s missteps as the Corleone patriarch is diminished somewhat when no longer juxtaposed with his father’s rise to power, and other trifling criticisms are mitigated by glimpses at reinstated scenes like a conversation between Michael and his father about the need to avenge the murder of the eldest Corleone son, Santino.

I haven't watched this yet (mostly because I don't have seven consecutive hours to watch a movie), but I really want to. The Godfather I & II are some of the greatest films ever made; the third installment is one of the greatest failures ever made, and it's totally left out, so yay!

Let's talk about movies, y'all!

Reminder: I still hate everything.

ElJeffe on

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    That's the first version of The Godfather that I saw. It's good enough, but there's something clumsily literal about the chronological edit, lacking the structural elegance especially of The Godfather Part II. It's basically a kind of fan edit avant la lettre.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Goodfellas makes Godfather get its fucking shine box

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Thirith wrote: »
    That's the first version of The Godfather that I saw. It's good enough, but there's something clumsily literal about the chronological edit, lacking the structural elegance especially of The Godfather Part II. It's basically a kind of fan edit avant la lettre.

Are you talking about this new version? Because there was an older version called the Godfather Saga released quite a few years back that I understand is somewhat different.

But yes, I worry that putting that much emphasis on Vito for much of the film takes away from how both original films are definitely about Michael and his spiral of self-inflicted ruination of his father's legacy.

The last scene of Godfather 2 is so, so powerful, I can't imagine it has nearly the punch if it showed up at some point in the first 3rd of the running time.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Ah, that's what I get for reading the post diagonally while getting distracted by the pretty moving pictures... The one I saw (on VHS tape) was the Saga one. I wonder how this differs from the Epic version.

My problem with the chronological version, which does have its appeal, is that it takes a pretty naive view of storytelling: it's as if the two first Godfather films were historical material that just happened to be edited the way it was. They're not: they are obviously connected but formally/structurally they are two distinct films, with the second part consciously going for a more sophisticated structure, with the two timelines reflecting on each other in terms of themes, characters etc.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Goodfellas is merely pretty good

• Options
    Super disagree so much that it's creating blackouts on the West Coast today.

Goodfellas is as perfect as Elisabeth Shue.

• Options
    The Godfather (especially Part 2) is a symphony, Goodfellas is rock; each is one of the best at what it does.

I agree that Elisabeth Shue is pretty damn good at being Elisabeth Shue.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

They're both excellent films though

Godfather isn't trying to be a hyper realistic portrayal of organized crime, it's a very well told story and the romantization of the mob isn't really it's fault (it was definitely a thing already)

Goodfellas is actually a fairly accurate historical film, and even the events it gets wrong it does them in mostly accurate ways and portrays those people as the insulated psychopaths they were

override367 on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Super disagree so much that it's creating blackouts on the West Coast today.

Goodfellas is as perfect as Elisabeth Shue.

well, then

I guess you should go home and get your fucking shinebox

:razz:

Atomika on
  • Options
    I'm not saying Godfather 1 & 2 are bad, they are good. Goodfellas is just way better but because Marty Score doesn't have a winery everyone tells him to step off and it's more like he's been stepping up to the streets his whole GD life.

Funny thing was I was actually going to make a new movie thread where it was going to be "The Movie Thread Insists Upon Itself" with this in the OP
    :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wMQz3iJDzE

And then I would put on thick frame sunglasses and pretend I work at the AV Club and think everything is shallow and pedantic oh :snap: last thread callback.

(I also love the Money Pit)

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    If you’re an HBO or HBO Now subscriber (or if you’ve somehow managed to obtain a password) you currently have access to an interesting cinematic beast: a 424-minute cut of Francis Ford Coppola’s first two Godfather films, recut in chronological order and bolstered with a number of scenes cut from the theatrical releases in 1972 and 1974.

The Godfather Epic, as it’s being called, begins with the story of a young Vito Corleone (played by 10-year-old Oreste Baldini, and later a 30-year-old Robert DeNiro) as he transforms himself from destitute immigrant to powerful mafioso. (You might recognize this section as the flashback scenes that were interspersed throughout The Godfather: Part II.) The action then leaps forward to 1945, as a 49-year-old Marlon Brando takes over the role. Aside from some newly re-inserted scenes here and there, this is pretty much the entirety of the original Godfather film from start to finish. This section ends with Michael, the youngest Corleone son (Al Pacino), taking the reins of the business after his father’s death, and the rest of the narrative follows Michael’s storyline from the late ’50s section of Part II. (No footage from 1990’s Part III is included, for obvious reasons.)

Older fans might remember a similar cut—marketed alternately as The Godfather Saga or The Godfather: The Complete Novel For Television—that aired as a miniseries on NBC back in 1977 and was later released on VHS. While this sequential edit is an interesting way to rewatch the films after you’ve already seen them a half dozen times, it does lose some of the cinematic magic that made these films the classics they are today. The tragedy of Michael’s missteps as the Corleone patriarch is diminished somewhat when no longer juxtaposed with his father’s rise to power, and other trifling criticisms are mitigated by glimpses at reinstated scenes like a conversation between Michael and his father about the need to avenge the murder of the eldest Corleone son, Santino.

I haven't watched this yet (mostly because I don't have seven consecutive hours to watch a movie), but I really want to. The Godfather I & II are some of the greatest films ever made; the third installment is one of the greatest failures ever made, and it's totally left out, so yay!

Let's talk about movies, y'all!

Reminder: I still hate everything.

The Godfather Saga is how I originally saw the first two movies. It was interesting, but subsequent viewings in the original order were definitely better.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I'm not saying Godfather 1 & 2 are bad, they are good. Goodfellas is just way better but because Marty Score doesn't have a winery everyone tells him to step off and it's more like he's been stepping up to the streets his whole GD life.

Funny thing was I was actually going to make a new movie thread where it was going to be "The Movie Thread Insists Upon Itself" with this in the OP
    :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wMQz3iJDzE

And then I would put on thick frame sunglasses and pretend I work at the AV Club and think everything is shallow and pedantic oh :snap: last thread callback.

(I also love the Money Pit)

i really do not care for the godfather.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

They're both excellent films though

Godfather isn't trying to be a hyper realistic portrayal of organized crime, it's a very well told story and the romantization of the mob isn't really it's fault (it was definitely a thing already)

Goodfellas is actually a fairly accurate historical film, and even the events it gets wrong it does them in mostly accurate ways and portrays those people as the insulated psychopaths they were

I appreciated that Goodfellas didn't try to cloak the mafia in that unearned shroud of false nobility that so often gets draped over them, but that didn't make the film enjoyable. It's pretty oogy.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Goodfellas is actually shockingly close to the real events if this guy is to be believed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc4mBGIDEeU

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I liked it when Tommy borrowed his moms butcher knife to stab the shit outta Billy Bats.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to tell you that your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    wrrong thread

um

godfather rocks you stink if you disagree hth

Atomika on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The Mother, May I Sleep with Danger? remake is the silliest thing ever (featuring Tori Spelling as Columbo)

James Franco, what are you doing? Besides obviously having unrequited feelings for every goth girl you ever knew in high school, I guess

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to tell you that your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

My opinions are a wedding gift, it's under my mother's name.

See, we can't have this fun with a snoozefest like Godfather, Mafia! tried and failed.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

My opinions are a wedding gift, it's under my mother's name.

See, we can't have this fun with a snoozefest like Godfather, Mafia! tried and failed.

I dunno

Christina Applegate going, "Ooh, Italian food!" still cracks me up.

• Options
    I remember hearing in a Jay Mohr interview, maybe from his podcast, about how Lloyd Bridges was totally out of it when he was filming the movie and didn't know where he was and they filmed all his scenes first just to make sure they still had him. Sad thing for a guy who owned the Magic Pan Crepe restaurants.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The first 2 Godfather movies are masterworks of cinema.

But if I'm flipping through channels and I see Godfather on one channel and Goodfellas on another, you better believe that I'm going to Goodfellas and leaving it right there until it's over.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MI-5 (HBO), very weak spy thriller movie, filled with too much self loathing and Marty Stu protagonist to make it interesting as either a spy or thriller movie.

It's supposed to be a film follow up to the british TV show Spooks that seemed to be the thinking man's 24 (that's the impression the film gives), but there was a certain level of self awareness 24 had mixed with great ptew ptew this doesn't, and this doesn't have enough cynicism to follow in John le Carre's footsteps or stylish enough with the spy stuff to be with the Bourne movies. Here we have the terrorist bad guy being noble and good, never killing civilians but focusing on government officials, but is freed from his transport into CIA custody, with the main old guy protagonist faking his death to uncover a conspiracy to disband MI-5 and have it be controlled by the CIA because of course that's how sovereignty works between the two nations. When it's discovered he's still alive MI-5 sends Jon Snow after him, who wasn't in the original show but still connected to the guy via something offscreen.

You'll be able to figure out who the traitor in MI-5 was right away just because there's four choices; two are so over the top they show their hands too soon, and one who is too bumbling to be played the foil in this day and age. So you have to just wait for the reveal while having Kit Harrington furrow his brow and not really do much besides run through an airport or walk through a town square multiple times. The story is supposed to be about keeping MI-5 under british control but the way they operate in this vital mission to save their jobs is so bad they probably would be better under the CIA. It's only 100 minutes but slogs like it's over two hours and when the old officer guy seems to always be one step ahead always you just don't care about the story. This just sort of shows what might have worked for TV doesn't carry over to a movie's runtime. Just release it as a mini-series continuation of the show without trying to make it new viewer accessible for a movie; 24 LAD showed this to be the case and it had just come out at the time this movie was being filmed so at the very least just look to the Americans who are making it in your own backyard, yo.

It's just a bland, weak movie, watch The Sweeney or Kill Your Friends instead. Now I gotta watch The Transporter to erase it from my memory.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I never did watch the Sweeney. Do they [borat]Hold the traction control button for ten seconds[/borat]?

• Options
    sadly no, but that chase scene is in the movie and you can see what they did with it. They kept a lot in actually (and this was probably the trial run for when they used the TG people for Fast 6).

I watched the movie because of the Top Gear connection too, but what I got was a good tough cop movie where Ray Winstone looked the part, and it also has Haley Atwell so nice. It's better than Welcome to the Punch, if you've seen that with Professor X and Sinestro.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm still pretty mild on the Godfather 1. The beginning was mostly really good but everything after Italy just doesn't work for me much at all. Especially the ending which I still found rather silly in that his great plan was "walk up and shoot them in the face".

Godfather 2 was ... honestly, I was kinda bored. I really liked the ending but the middle felt padded as all hell.

I kinda feel like the two together tell a really great story with alot of fat in it.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    To me they're like opera or like Shakespearean drama; they don't have laser-sharp focus, they're sprawling, and that can be legitimately boring to some... but to others that sprawl itself can be an asset. The Godfather Part II without the sprawl would be like a 1 1/2 hour Hamlet: a very different beast, perhaps with certain strengths, but most likely losing something in the process. (For the record, I wouldn't really want to sit through a Hamlet with no cuts whatsoever, and I'm saying that as someone who loves Shakespeare.)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    MI-5 (HBO), very weak spy thriller movie, filled with too much self loathing and Marty Stu protagonist to make it interesting as either a spy or thriller movie.

It's supposed to be a film follow up to the british TV show Spooks that seemed to be the thinking man's 24 (that's the impression the film gives), but there was a certain level of self awareness 24 had mixed with great ptew ptew this doesn't, and this doesn't have enough cynicism to follow in John le Carre's footsteps or stylish enough with the spy stuff to be with the Bourne movies. Here we have the terrorist bad guy being noble and good, never killing civilians but focusing on government officials, but is freed from his transport into CIA custody, with the main old guy protagonist faking his death to uncover a conspiracy to disband MI-5 and have it be controlled by the CIA because of course that's how sovereignty works between the two nations. When it's discovered he's still alive MI-5 sends Jon Snow after him, who wasn't in the original show but still connected to the guy via something offscreen.

You'll be able to figure out who the traitor in MI-5 was right away just because there's four choices; two are so over the top they show their hands too soon, and one who is too bumbling to be played the foil in this day and age. So you have to just wait for the reveal while having Kit Harrington furrow his brow and not really do much besides run through an airport or walk through a town square multiple times. The story is supposed to be about keeping MI-5 under british control but the way they operate in this vital mission to save their jobs is so bad they probably would be better under the CIA. It's only 100 minutes but slogs like it's over two hours and when the old officer guy seems to always be one step ahead always you just don't care about the story. This just sort of shows what might have worked for TV doesn't carry over to a movie's runtime. Just release it as a mini-series continuation of the show without trying to make it new viewer accessible for a movie; 24 LAD showed this to be the case and it had just come out at the time this movie was being filmed so at the very least just look to the Americans who are making it in your own backyard, yo.

It's just a bland, weak movie, watch The Sweeney or Kill Your Friends instead. Now I gotta watch The Transporter to erase it from my memory.

I tried watching The Sweeney, but I loathe Ray Winstone while Ben Drew (or Plan B) did too good a job in Harry Brown for me to ever look at him favorrably again.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Re: TexiKen's write-up of MI-5:

Spooks (AKA MI-5) was a great, exciting UK counterpart to 24 during its first 2-3 seasons, after which they went through most of the good characters in record time, so I quit it. The early seasons with Matthew Macfadyen, Keeley "I was Lara Croft" Hawes and David Oyelowo were good stuff.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I read the first half of TexiKen's MI-5 review thinking he was talking about Mission Impossible 5 and wondering how he could think it was boring and also that he must have been really confused by the storyline.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Spooks (AKA MI-5) was a great, exciting UK counterpart to 24 during its first 2-3 seasons, after which they went through most of the good characters in record time, so I quit it. The early seasons with Matthew Macfadyen, Keeley "I was Lara Croft" Hawes and David Oyelowo were good stuff.

I think it stayed pretty good through the run. Richard Armitage made for a decent spy, and it continued to chew through the cast at a ferocious rate.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

True. I felt the show continued having a good streak, though. I applaud the show for not being afraid to "kill their darlings" - it's like Game of Thrones over there before GoT became a thing.

• Options
    I found Rupert Penry-Jones boring and never thought that any of the later leads lived up to the Tom Quinn/Zoe Reynolds/Danny Hunter trifecta (though I always liked Harry and have a big soft spot for Nicola Walker's Ruth).

Mind you, it didn't help that the DVDs had the coolest-looking but least user-friendly menu system ever. Perhaps that contributed to me dropping the series. After watching the dreadful, painfully stupid BBC series Hunted, though, perhaps I'd go softer on the rest of Spooks.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I found Rupert Penry-Jones boring and never thought that any of the later leads lived up to the Tom Quinn/Zoe Reynolds/Danny Hunter trifecta (though I always liked Harry and have a big soft spot for Nicola Walker's Ruth).

Mind you, it didn't help that the DVDs had the coolest-looking but least user-friendly menu system ever. Perhaps that contributed to me dropping the series. After watching the dreadful, painfully stupid BBC series Hunted, though, perhaps I'd go softer on the rest of Spooks.

Jo Portman, Ros Myers and Lucas North's additions breathed new life into the series after they left.

• Options
    Weird, creepy coincidence: after Anton Yelchin's death, friend texted me that he couldn't shake this one Six Fett Under episode which starts with a guy getting crushed by his car in his driveway.

I finally checked out the episode, "Dancing for Me", and the guy was played by Chris "NuKirk" Pine.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So I have sort of a question. It seems like we've weathered the shock gore style of horror movies recently. Prior to that it was a lot of found footage movies.

I can't really say I'm a huge fan of either of those things. What are some good, modern (traditional?) horror movies that are in line with something like Event Horizon or old Carpenter stuff? I recently watched The Forest and The Boy and they were both pretty disappointing.

Edit: interestingly it seems like horror games are kind of in a golden age right now. So I guess there is that.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Right now, horror wise, we seem to be in the midst of "This Totally Happened!" possession-type movies.

The most interesting ones, though - as always, I think - are the ones that do something a little different and play to current social issues. It Follows was a neat exploration of sexual norms, The VViittcchh explored female persecution, Final Girls deconstructed final girls, Cabin in the Woods looked at why we even watch horror, and so on.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    So I have sort of a question. It seems like we've weathered the shock gore style of horror movies recently. Prior to that it was a lot of found footage movies.

I can't really say I'm a huge fan of either of those things. What are some good, modern (traditional?) horror movies that are in line with something like Event Horizon or old Carpenter stuff? I recently watched The Forest and The Boy and they were both pretty disappointing.

Edit: interestingly it seems like horror games are kind of in a golden age right now. So I guess there is that.

Pandorum has some tonal similarities to Event Horizon while being a little less campy. The characters wake up on a ship and have no idea what's going on. They barely even remember how they got there. However opinions on it's quality vary wildly.

Prometheus is another love it or hate it movie that aims for a similar tone to Alien. I'd recommend giving it a watch if you haven't, just maybe don't post your opinion about it here ;)

Also I quite enjoyed Dead Space: Aftermath, though the CGI in the frame story is atrocious. The animation in the main story is fine though.

• Options
    It Follows
    Deathgasm
    Thirst (more a drama than horror but it does its version of vampires in an innovative way)
    people seemed to give mostly good things about The Babadook

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Pandorum has some tonal similarities to Event Horizon while being a little less campy. The characters wake up on a ship and have no idea what's going on. They barely even remember how they got there. However opinions on it's quality vary wildly.

Prometheus is another love it or hate it movie that aims for a similar tone to Alien. I'd recommend giving it a watch if you haven't, just maybe don't post your opinion about it here ;)

Also I quite enjoyed Dead Space: Aftermath, though the CGI in the frame story is atrocious. The animation in the main story is fine though.

Pandorum is a real neat little movie that watches pretty much like a Dead Space live action film.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
This discussion has been closed.