Options

[Chat] Hotel

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    If I owned a dog he would be like, some really bulky terrier mix with a pink donkhawk and doggles and those pink glitter claw protectors.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Megaman is apparently all apocalypse now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the point is, santa is fun even if you never believed in it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Oh shiv

just steal some of her parents jewelry and sell it to make the money

Now we're dealing with possible solutions.

Also, and I'm not joking or making light here, as it could work

start a gofundme page about how you're a trans/queer couple living apart in D.C. and how the perils and trials of the world are mentally destroying you both and you need $xxxx to move in together

shit I'd donate $50 just to see you do it

Hah, I mean, it's not wrong
    credeiki wrote: »
    Ugh, spoiled for stress + relationship stuff
    Despite it feeling early, I've been increasingly wishing I could move in with Querry like, now. We originally talked about it abstractly a few months ago, because my lease ends in late July, so that put it into our heads. We didn't actually bring it up until a bit after that, and the conclusion was basically "yeah, that would've been too early, but next year around then sounds like a good date to shoot for, if things are still going well." We separately came to those conclusions. But the thought of it has been cropping up more lately, for a variety of reasons, and now we both would really like to, even though it doesn't make sense, so we've got another yearish before we can.

But anyway, it's extremely stressful not to, and causes a not small amount of pining. A lot of this is tied to work, which has just kicked up a thousand percent. We both periodically have twelve hour days, and come home too exhausted to really interact with each other in the ways we're used to. There are a lot of times when I just want to eat and then go to bed with her, but I never get that on the days I really need it, and we both have to scavenge or cook for ourselves even when we get home at nine, and the other person always feels weird and wishes they could be there for practical and emotional support.

Basically life is stressful and I wish I could come home to her consistently, and spend exhausted nights snuggling into her and falling asleep, instead of exhaustedly trying to Skype and watch TV and then sleeping alone.

Are either of your commutes feasible if you spend weeknights at her place or yours? Or would the commute only work if you lived in a location in-between?

Cause if the former...spend weeknights together, if you can.

Yeaaaah we live on opposite sides of the Beltway, commutes are up to two hours if we spend weeknights together, up from <10 minutes. It's why we almost never get to see each other for weeknights, though if someone's having a super shit day and the other doesn't work at 9AM the next morning then sometimes we stay together on weeknights.

Right, that's what I thought. And I guess if she goes to bed super-early, you can't work a late-shifted schedule to avoid rush hour, cause then you wouldn't see her at night at all anyway. And I imagine her hours aren't flexible at all.
    Honestly I think given the finances you probably do have to wait instead of breaking the lease.

Yeah, waiting is the only thing that makes sense (and I can't really stay at her house as easily as she can at mine). I mostly am just annoyed because it coming up has made me realize how much I want it (spoilers: a lot) and how good it'd be for both of us (spoilers: also a lot), and when I can have it (spoilers: not any time soon).

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's in my will and testament that if I die as a consequence of the help of a kindhearted good samaritan my parents will send him/her a card saying "Thanks bro..."

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Oh shiv

start a gofundme page about how you're a trans/queer couple living apart in D.C. and how the perils and trials of the world are mentally destroying you both and you need $xxxx to move in together

Despite it feeling early, I've been increasingly wishing I could move in with Querry like, now. We originally talked about it abstractly a few months ago, because my lease ends in late July, so that put it into our heads. We didn't actually bring it up until a bit after that, and the conclusion was basically "yeah, that would've been too early, but next year around then sounds like a good date to shoot for, if things are still going well." We separately came to those conclusions. But the thought of it has been cropping up more lately, for a variety of reasons, and now we both would really like to, even though it doesn't make sense, so we've got another yearish before we can.

But anyway, it's extremely stressful not to, and causes a not small amount of pining. A lot of this is tied to work, which has just kicked up a thousand percent. We both periodically have twelve hour days, and come home too exhausted to really interact with each other in the ways we're used to. There are a lot of times when I just want to eat and then go to bed with her, but I never get that on the days I really need it, and we both have to scavenge or cook for ourselves even when we get home at nine, and the other person always feels weird and wishes they could be there for practical and emotional support.

Basically life is stressful and I wish I could come home to her consistently, and spend exhausted nights snuggling into her and falling asleep, instead of exhaustedly trying to Skype and watch TV and then sleeping alone.

Are either of your commutes feasible if you spend weeknights at her place or yours? Or would the commute only work if you lived in a location in-between?

Yeaaaah we live on opposite sides of the Beltway, commutes are up to two hours if we spend weeknights together, up from <10 minutes. It's why we almost never get to see each other for weeknights, though if someone's having a super shit day and the other doesn't work at 9AM the next morning then sometimes we stay together on weeknights.

Right, that's what I thought. And I guess if she goes to bed super-early, you can't work a late-shifted schedule to avoid rush hour, cause then you wouldn't see her at night at all anyway. And I imagine her hours aren't flexible at all.
    Honestly I think given the finances you probably do have to wait instead of breaking the lease.

Yeah, waiting is the only thing that makes sense (and I can't really stay at her house as easily as she can at mine). I mostly am just annoyed because it coming up has made me realize how much I want it (spoilers: a lot) and how good it'd be for both of us (spoilers: also a lot), and when I can have it (spoilers: not any time soon).

For sure. Obviously I feel pretty similarly about the 2.75 years left in my (stupid, entirely due to my own stupid decisions) long-distance situation.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Oh shiv

For sure. Obviously I feel pretty similarly about the 2.75 years left in my (stupid, entirely due to my own stupid decisions) long-distance situation.

Yeah, that sucks. It sucks! Empathy :bro:

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    4GexjNCl.jpg

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    The Mega-Man comic is pretty raw huh
    Mega-Man-43-Needle-Man-03.jpg

What's that page from?

• Options
    Ok, I've gotta lunch + prepare to teach

We are on the twilight pages so if Geth picks me, realize I can't make chat until about six.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Just so I don't misunderstand, but the current zeitgeist is to dress literally anything up as an overwatch character, right?

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    H98dY0dl.jpg

chow chow mei... is... bae...

simonwolf on
  • Options
    also I just remembered the couple of years when me and my sister thought it would be fun to do the traditional "leave porridge out for santa" thing (I don't know if it's common elsewhere, it's an ancient thing about placating the nisse of the farm and the norwegian santa is the julenisse)

because the image of a man in his 30s shivering in his snowy driveway eating near-frozen porridge while questioning why the fuck he's doing this to keep up a charade that was never believed in in his house, is kinda hilarious

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    A surprising number of bank robberies go unsolved

@Shivahn

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Just so I don't misunderstand, but the current zeitgeist is to dress literally anything up as an overwatch character, right?
    Quick primer:

Pharmercy is Fanon #1.
    Mercy mum & Soldier dad Fanon #2.
    Gremlin D.Va is Blizzard accepted Canon.
    Reinhardt + Ana accepted grandparents Fanon.
    Reaper is comedic edgelord, also maybe has a thing for Soldier.
    Sombra is a little Reaper wannabe.
    Mei is a sociopath.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    also I just remembered the couple of years when me and my sister thought it would be fun to do the traditional "leave porridge out for santa" thing (I don't know if it's common elsewhere, it's an ancient thing about placating the nisse of the farm and the norwegian santa is the julenisse)

because the image of a man in his 30s shivering in his snowy driveway eating near-frozen porridge while questioning why the fuck he's doing this to keep up a charade that was never believed in in his house, is kinda hilarious

We Americans leave cookies and milk because we don't hate Santa

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Quick primer:

Pharmercy is Fanon #1.
    Mercy mum & Soldier dad Fanon #2.
    Gremlin D.Va is Blizzard accepted Canon.
    Reinhardt + Ana accepted grandparents Fanon.
    Reaper is comedic edgelord, also maybe has a thing for Soldier.
    Sombra is a little Reaper wannabe.
    Mei is a sociopath.

Alright, sure.

• Options
    I think I prefer Scout as a Boston Townie and Demo Guy as a Black Scottish Cyclops

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Abdhyius wrote: »

We Americans leave cookies and milk because we don't hate Santa

dude our rice porridge is delicious
    Julegrot-Mari-Svenningsen-m_BIG.jpg

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    put those payday2 skills to good use

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    evilbob wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Of course I say you should all watch that while watching best TOS episode ever (doomsday machine)

Pretty sure "The Trouble with Tribbles" consistently tops user-voted best episode lists.

Of course, the correct (and [chat] topical) best episode is "The City on the Edge of Forever".

No. Doomsday Machine is best. Balance of Terror close second. I will fite ppl over this.

These are all good episodes!

I will stump hard for The Conscience of the King, though

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @credeiki

SU stuff:
    I think some of the weirdness with the Gems moral choices has to do that they're using a different moral calculus.
    (ok it's actually because it's just sloppy writing, but there's always room for rationalization!)

Consider: Gems don't age, they don't get sick, and they are incredibly unlikely to die by accident, i.e. most trauma would poof but not kill them.
    If your natural lifespan is infinite, murder is an unfathomably evil action. Any Gem could be reformed given enough time, and there's always enough time.
    It also makes bubbling living un-corrupted Gems less evil. Bismuth spent 3000 years in a bubble and was like "hey what's up guys" after she made it out. They don't seem to have a conscious experience while poofed and bubbled and 3000 years is like, a five minute timeout for a Human.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    @credeiki I was writing up a post that would put into text some of the discussions we had re: Overwatch and its connections to my thesis research

however I decided I am hungry and I'm going to get a sando instead

but: you know where I stand

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Of course I say you should all watch that while watching best TOS episode ever (doomsday machine)

Pretty sure "The Trouble with Tribbles" consistently tops user-voted best episode lists.

Of course, the correct (and [chat] topical) best episode is "The City on the Edge of Forever".

No. Doomsday Machine is best. Balance of Terror close second. I will fite ppl over this.

In The Pale Moonlight from DS9 > all.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't care about SU, but in Up they fucking iced that guy for his zeppelin, I think children's media can endorse violence.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    oi oi oi people who still play Pokemon Go and have an iPhone, did you get that Buddy System update yet or not

CAUSE I AIN'T GOT IT :mad:

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    credeiki I was writing up a post that would put into text some of the discussions we had re: Overwatch and its connections to my thesis research

I think the most important part of that discussion is that D.Va is #1 waifu

However, a fully articulated discussion on how carefully the overwatch characters have been crafted is always of interest if you ever want to write it down.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    zsbhji129eae.jpeg

Omg I ordered oysters again and shucked them because this time I had an oyster knife!!

@syndalis @Podly

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    credeiki I was writing up a post that would put into text some of the discussions we had re: Overwatch and its connections to my thesis research

FWIW I would love to hear this

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    umwegrvenxtu.jpeg

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Mega-Man comic is pretty raw huh
    Mega-Man-43-Needle-Man-03.jpg

What's that page from?

@Houn Archie's Mega-Man issue 43

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    umwegrvenxtu.jpeg
    Better than Jared Leto's Joker! :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Quality mystery that one. And very "why new kirk sucks compared to old kirk."

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    put those payday2 skills to good use
    Hire people who speak not a lick of English, then have them answer the pagers of dead guards to check in with their operators, you mean?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    if i get chat i will poll for overwatch waifu

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    credeiki

SU stuff:
    I think some of the weirdness with the Gems moral choices has to do that they're using a different moral calculus.
    (ok it's actually because it's just sloppy writing, but there's always room for rationalization!)

Consider: Gems don't age, they don't get sick, and they are incredibly unlikely to die by accident, i.e. most trauma would poof but not kill them.
    If your natural lifespan is infinite, murder is an unfathomably evil action. Any Gem could be reformed given enough time, and there's always enough time.
    It also makes bubbling living un-corrupted Gems less evil. Bismuth spent 3000 years in a bubble and was like "hey what's up guys" after she made it out. They don't seem to have a conscious experience while poofed and bubbled and 3000 years is like, a five minute timeout for a Human.

Yes, but also 1. Steven is a person and 2. the audience is people and 3. the writers are people so we also can't help but try to map this onto a human situation and human morality.
    I'm also not completely convinced by the portrayal of the gems as millenia old. Although I guess I don't know how I would want them to write it differently; it's always hard for writers to depict really ancient beings in a way that I read as reasonable.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Is the classic construction of the trolley problem such that you have to hit the switch to change to the track with one person but if you do nothing the trolley hits the five people?

I have read so many versions of it at this point I don't know what the point of the original was.

Exactly.

Maybe someone can explain why this makes a difference, then.

Assume for a moment that we're all...utilitarians, right? Those are the ones who think it's better to kill 1 person than 5? Whatever, pretend we're all those people. What is the argument in favor of doing nothing vs doing something?

I am explaining this badly, perhaps. My personal view is that you are making a choice regardless. The instant the choice is presented to you, you are no longer "doing nothing" by not hitting the switch. Doing nothing is equally a choice as hitting the switch. So at that point it reduces to a "is it better to kill 1 person or 5 people" problem. What is the argument against this stance?

You're correct. The counter-argument is that you can 'opt out' by not doing anything, evading moral responsibility or involvement. "I didn't tie anyone to the tracks, so I'm not guilty. If I throw the lever, then I'll be guilty of killing one person."

Right, my question is, is there any good justification for that counter-argument?

Edit: Or rather, is there an accepted justification.

@visiblehowl

The classic debate over doing vs allowing harm has been waged on the subject of euthanasia, but in principle it can apply here too. James Rachels provided the example of Smith and Jones, who both intend to drown their respective cousins in a bathtub (for an inheritance) but Jones walks in to find his cousin already drowning and refrains from saving him. Rachels concludes that both are equally blameworthy, and thus there is no difference between doing vs allowing harm.

Of course, this has been heavily debated and there have been many variations and counter arguments and counter counter arguments on this topic.

Stanford Link to an article on this topic.

• Options
    Honestly, I just really, really want Blizzard to either work with Valve to let everything from Overwatch be used in SFM, or to release their own free software with the same capabilities.

The TF2 community came up with some amazing stuff when given access to SFM,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aLjwVVNq4s

And Overwatch has just as much potential for fantastic fan creations.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    So Alan Watts has this lecture about the philosophy of thinking about life as "play" that I quite enjoyed and I feel fosters a pretty healthy attitude about life.
    I've been talking about the joker's point of view, from which not only our social institutions, but also all the formations of the natural world, are seen as games. Be careful of the word game; it doesn't mean as trivialities. Because when we say "it's just a game", this often means "it's just trivial". There can be important games. As when we play the piano, or musical instruments, we are not necessarily doing something frivolous, but we are playing.

And there is something in the nature of all play that is not serious, but at the same time may be sincere, and I tried to give you the picture of the multiplicity of natural forms on the one hand, and of human social institutions and all the things we do and consider important and busy ourselves with as human beings, I tried to give you the point of view from which these can be seen as games; as things being done simply for themselves and not for some ulterior motive.

And therefore, these games are in a way best played when they are played as games. Although it's really alright for people to take them seriously, except that they are a little bit deprived. They're missing something. And so when the joker sees a person taking their life seriously, and regarding himself as extremely important, there is something a little bit funny about it, and he is inclined to get the giggles. And it's all he knows; that the very intensity of seriousness with which the individuals concerned are taking these games will be a kind of foil for the subsequent bursting into laughter when he sees that it wasn't serious after all.

You see, there are these classes of people: there are the very "far out" people and the very "far in" people. Now ordinarily we say someone's very far out when they are oddballs; when they are exceedingly unconventional. But I want you to turn the picture around and look at the conventional person, look at a "square", as a person who's very far out. That is to say, he's so involved in the seriousness of the game he is playing that he is lost. He doesn't know where he started from and he thinks he's there! But he's completely lost, because he is actually under the cover of his assurance, of his status, of his position in society, he's really a very anxious person.

I said a lot yesterday about the way our society shows anxiety because it cannot permit the existence of people who don't belong. And it cannot really permit the criticism of laughter; it cannot permit the presence of the old-fashioned court jester. Because these people are so far out; they're so involved, and from a certain standpoint, from the joker's standpoint, he doesn't condemn such people, he rather congratulates them on their heroism for getting so lost and involved. But to keep the "far out" people from going quite insane, there have to be "far in" people.

This discussion has been closed.