As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guns] FIRE EVERYTHING!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I doubt you'll be at a disadvantage with your pump. I've busted lots of clays with an 870. Mossberg 500 is a fine shotgun.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/parts-by-gun-model/mossberg/500-535-590-and-88/500-barrels.do

You will want to go with a 28" barrel. That's pretty standard on bird guns. Some professional trap and skeet go longer, but 28" will be fine.

Now, buying a new gun for use in trap and skeet is an entirely different story.

They've only got one 28" barrel, basically. It's a $202 barrel with an Accu Choke set in one of two colors (tan/green).

Walmart has pretty much the same deal.

What throws me off is this:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/mossberg-500-28-inch-barrel-with-vent-rib.html

Same set for $90?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I doubt you'll be at a disadvantage with your pump. I've busted lots of clays with an 870. Mossberg 500 is a fine shotgun.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/parts-by-gun-model/mossberg/500-535-590-and-88/500-barrels.do

You will want to go with a 28" barrel. That's pretty standard on bird guns. Some professional trap and skeet go longer, but 28" will be fine.

They've only got one 28" barrel, basically. It's a $202 barrel with an Accu Choke set in one of two colors (tan/green).

Same set for $90?

The CTD has the Mossberg barrel. The barrel being sold by CDNN is third party manufacturing.

I've ordered through CDNN before, no complaints. But no idea on either of those barrel offerings, other than I would try out the cheaper one.

And like hsu said, you can always shoot with the 18", I've known several people to do that.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2016
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Also DUE, I dunno how much you are caring about guns and whistles and aftermarket parts.

I have a Marlin XT-22. It's a simple bolt-action magazine fed .22 rifle that you can mount a scope on if you want.

Nothing fancy, but everything I wanted, and probably everything you do. I put a real cheap scope on mine because there is almost no kick because relatively thick barreled .22 rifle. I put a sling on because why not, and a bipod for shooting prone.

It works well.

I have considered Marlin. You're the first person i've talked to who actually owned one though. But yeah i'm looking for something super simple and that certainly fits all of my needs. Is there anything in particular that you don't like about it?

I'm trying to remember. I think the bolt is a little wobbly when it's mostly out, and also the default magazine doesn't match the gun's color.

I'm not a huge gun person so I don't have anything more in depth than that. Bullets go into the magazine, then I cycle the bolt and point it at a target and then there are holes in it. It hasn't given me much to complain about. It's pretty nice for a relatively cheap gun (I'm weird about used things).

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Same set for $90?

The CTD has the Mossberg barrel. The barrel being sold by CDNN is third party manufacturing.

I've ordered through CDNN before, no complaints. But no idea on either of those barrel offerings, other than I would try out the cheaper one.

And like hsu said, you can always shoot with the 18", I've known several people to do that.

Yeah. I'm happy picking up a 28" barrel, though, cause I can take it hunting too.

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    I don't know anything about bolt action rimfires, I grew up with Ruger 10/22 semi autos.

Also I don't know if I'd recommend a Mosin as a starter rifle anymore. I own one, but I got it years ago for pretty cheap. Some call it a garbage rod and lob criticisms at it, and I can't really disagree even as an owner. They can be fun to shoot but the price of both the rifles and 7.62x54r has increased the last couple of years.

Oh yeah. I was saying I know a Mosin is a bad idea. That's something i'd consider much further down the line if I really picked up the hobby. It's prohibitively expensive and considering some of the oddities a bad place to start.

I mean as far as center fire rifles go a Mosin is still relatively cheap, but now with the huge semi-auto center fire market for just a little more you can get an AR or AK clone chambered in a cartridge that is more available. And between those two price points are some seemingly (I say seemingly because I'm not knowledgeable on the quality of new bolt action rifles) nice bolt action rifles that are also chambered in more common cartridges.

Rimfire is still a good cheap entry point to shooting, and I've yet to encounter a range, indoor or outdoor, that doesn't allow use of rimfire rifles.

To move back towards the topic of the thread, does anyone have a positive or negative opinion of the Ruger American Rifle series?

I'm on the fence about grabbing one in either .270 or .30-06.

I've been nothing but happy with my Savage, I don't know if Ruger has adopted an Accutrigger type system - aside from Savage, Marlin and Mossberg have, idk about Remington - but if you're getting a base model I'd maybe look at those unless you're going to drop a Timney in it. Some of the upgraded RAR models are quite nice, though.

Is that the Savage + optic package?

That's the one. Axis II comes with the Accutrigger, the Axis I doesn't - The premium on the MSRP between the too is about $70.

The Weaver 3x9 on top of it isn't half bad for a budget scope, either. You're paying $39 for the scope in the package deal, it's like a $70 scope on Amazon. The .223

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Kaspa-3-9X40-Ballistic-X-Scope/dp/B0065OGMF2

Having said all that - this was my first gun and I was looking for an entryway into an expensive hobby as cheap as possible. A lot of people apparently like to use the action and barrel on an Axis II as a starting point; throw away the (shitty, ugly) stock and go from there. The Marlin (used, couldn't tell you what model) and Remington 700 ADL I was trying out worked noticeably smoother, but the triggers aren't as nice. Gander has the 700 ADL for $400 right now.

Looking at replacing the stock with this: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a374d06112_featherweight-thumbhole-savage-axis-detachable-box-mag-short-action-factory-barrel-channel--pepper

Cool. I don't know much about the quality of bolt action guns because out of the firearms I own only one is so, so I'll have to check out these options as well. Really nice choice on the furniture as well.
    musanman wrote: »
    To move back towards the topic of the thread, does anyone have a positive or negative opinion of the Ruger American Rifle series?

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle and while the plastic stock feels kinda cheap (and light) the rest of the gun is top notch. Shoots great and has a very stable feel to it.

There's something I really like about the look of the Ruger Scout, but the price point is a little much for me. I paid less than the MSRP of a Ruger Scout for my PTR 91 with wide hand guard and a hydrodip job. If it wasn't for the fact that I like the Mini 14 (and so did my dad due to the A Team, so it ended up being his favorite rifle to shoot of mine) I wouldn't have paid as close to MSRP for it as I did. Ruger's offerings, especially with the Mini platform, don't seem to be in line with the market as far as price point with all of these cheap decent quality ARs available now. I'm not sure how they've managed to maintain an almost $800 MSRP for the Mini 14 and 30 for the last few years.

I also had something I really, really liked about my GSR (probably more than you...it was kinda bad for a bit) but also couldn't justify the price. Then I got an unfired GSR in .308 and a matching stock style 10/22 for $800. I couldn't say no!

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I don't know anything about bolt action rimfires, I grew up with Ruger 10/22 semi autos.

Also I don't know if I'd recommend a Mosin as a starter rifle anymore. I own one, but I got it years ago for pretty cheap. Some call it a garbage rod and lob criticisms at it, and I can't really disagree even as an owner. They can be fun to shoot but the price of both the rifles and 7.62x54r has increased the last couple of years.

Oh yeah. I was saying I know a Mosin is a bad idea. That's something i'd consider much further down the line if I really picked up the hobby. It's prohibitively expensive and considering some of the oddities a bad place to start.

I mean as far as center fire rifles go a Mosin is still relatively cheap, but now with the huge semi-auto center fire market for just a little more you can get an AR or AK clone chambered in a cartridge that is more available. And between those two price points are some seemingly (I say seemingly because I'm not knowledgeable on the quality of new bolt action rifles) nice bolt action rifles that are also chambered in more common cartridges.

Rimfire is still a good cheap entry point to shooting, and I've yet to encounter a range, indoor or outdoor, that doesn't allow use of rimfire rifles.

I've been nothing but happy with my Savage, I don't know if Ruger has adopted an Accutrigger type system - aside from Savage, Marlin and Mossberg have, idk about Remington - but if you're getting a base model I'd maybe look at those unless you're going to drop a Timney in it. Some of the upgraded RAR models are quite nice, though.

Is that the Savage + optic package?

That's the one. Axis II comes with the Accutrigger, the Axis I doesn't - The premium on the MSRP between the too is about $70.

The Weaver 3x9 on top of it isn't half bad for a budget scope, either. You're paying $39 for the scope in the package deal, it's like a $70 scope on Amazon. The .223

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Kaspa-3-9X40-Ballistic-X-Scope/dp/B0065OGMF2

Having said all that - this was my first gun and I was looking for an entryway into an expensive hobby as cheap as possible. A lot of people apparently like to use the action and barrel on an Axis II as a starting point; throw away the (shitty, ugly) stock and go from there. The Marlin (used, couldn't tell you what model) and Remington 700 ADL I was trying out worked noticeably smoother, but the triggers aren't as nice. Gander has the 700 ADL for $400 right now.

Looking at replacing the stock with this: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a374d06112_featherweight-thumbhole-savage-axis-detachable-box-mag-short-action-factory-barrel-channel--pepper

Cool. I don't know much about the quality of bolt action guns because out of the firearms I own only one is so, so I'll have to check out these options as well. Really nice choice on the furniture as well.

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle and while the plastic stock feels kinda cheap (and light) the rest of the gun is top notch. Shoots great and has a very stable feel to it.

There's something I really like about the look of the Ruger Scout, but the price point is a little much for me. I paid less than the MSRP of a Ruger Scout for my PTR 91 with wide hand guard and a hydrodip job. If it wasn't for the fact that I like the Mini 14 (and so did my dad due to the A Team, so it ended up being his favorite rifle to shoot of mine) I wouldn't have paid as close to MSRP for it as I did. Ruger's offerings, especially with the Mini platform, don't seem to be in line with the market as far as price point with all of these cheap decent quality ARs available now. I'm not sure how they've managed to maintain an almost $800 MSRP for the Mini 14 and 30 for the last few years.

I also had something I really, really liked about my GSR (probably more than you...it was kinda bad for a bit) but also couldn't justify the price. Then I got an unfired GSR in .308 and a matching stock style 10/22 for $800. I couldn't say no!

For that kind of a deal I wouldn't be able to say no either.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    edit: wrong thread.

double edit: i did walk into Dick's Sporting Goods today.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35456466

this was on sale for 150. . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    That's a nice little package. I may have to grab one if the Dick's near me has them in stock at $150.

Also I've decided to put off picking up a bolt action centerfire and instead decided to get some parts for my Mini 14, including a mid level scope.
    dd18c779pvwk.jpg

I read a review of some different low-mid level scopes ranging in price from $200 to $700 and this (MSRP is about $200 but this one is apparently on sale) seemed to be the best of the bunch for the price. It performed at or very near the same level as some of the more expensive ($400+) ones tested alongside it, and better than one of the most expensive ~$600 choices. I'm also thinking about forgoing the synthetic furniture and trying to find some nice wood furniture. When I bought it it had a "tactical" furniture set on it that is nice, but I prefer a more traditional Ranch rifle look. If I want to be "tactical" that's what my AR and AKs are for.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    In August I bought a 7.62x39 Vepr. I wanted a x39 AK before November and at the time Wasrs were (and still are) $700+. So I decided for the same price why not get a real deal Russian rifle that could be converted (more or less) into a normal AK Configuration.

Then a few weeks later FIME decided to do their pre converted rifle for $999 :x

Anyways, today I finished converting it.

GAxy0Rf.jpg

vMAEbAn.jpg

tf5FOGL.jpg

weight without mag is 7.86lbs

weight with unloaded steel surplus mag is 8.58lbs

For anyone wondering, heres a parts list:
    Bolt-On lower handguard retainer, gas tube and bullet guide kit from Dinzag arms.
    K-var/arsenal handguards, grip and grip screw (the grip screw used for the wooden thumbhole stock is about an inch too short)
    Definitive Arms Fighter Brake
    MOE AK stock
    SGM Tactical slant back stock adapter
    ALG Enhanced trigger

All told I'm probably $400 in for the parts.

If you include parts this is about twice as expensive as any single other gun I own. Thats right my most expensive gun is a damn AK, THANKS OBAMA :x

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Basticle wrote: »

If you include parts this is about twice as expensive as any single other gun I own. Thats right my most expensive gun is a damn AK, THANKS OBAMA :x

It's actually pretty amazing how the price ramps up on an AK platform rifle if you want something that's not a surplus gun. And even the surplus rifles carry a significant price tag these days as supplies have really diminished.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I really like your AK, Basticle. I've been checking out those C39V2's out of Century over the last few months and dig what they did there, with the milled receiver and it having some good heft to it.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Do you have any experience with the new Century offerings?

I've read people shitting on them (not "professional" reviewers), but I assume a lot of that is people who have never owned a CAI imported or built gun who are just repeating things they've heard. I have a Century Tantal and I've never had any issues with it.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Do you have any experience with the new Century offerings?

I've read people shitting on them (not "professional" reviewers), but I assume a lot of that is people who have never owned a CAI imported or built gun who are just repeating things they've heard. I have a Century Tantal and I've never had any issues with it.

I have not, unfortunately, other than store handlings.

I did some reading and watched Rob Ski do his test on them, seemed to be a solid gun

• Options
    Anything Century imports is generally a solid gun. Anything that Century makes is shit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    That's a great looking rifle, Basticle. Love the plum on it.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edit: wrong thread.

double edit: i did walk into Dick's Sporting Goods today.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35456466

this was on sale for 150. . .

Hope this was in chat, originally :biggrin: I can handle anime, they can handle a .22.

Nice rifle, glad you found one and that's a great price on it, too.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

It's actually pretty amazing how the price ramps up on an AK platform rifle if you want something that's not a surplus gun. And even the surplus rifles carry a significant price tag these days as supplies have really diminished.

Huh. I bought a new Romanian AK74 with folding stock back in 2005 for about $300.

Watching westworld has me wanting to get this, but I gotta wait till I rebuild my savings first. Something about having a shotgun in your revolver... Although I hear it's not actual that great to shoot.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote: »

Huh. I bought a new Romanian AK74 with folding stock back in 2005 for about $300.

They run closer to $600 now. 74s haven't seem as much inflation as the 47s from what I've seen though. Likely a mix of 74s still being produced whereas the 47s were often being retired from various Eastern European states and more demand for the 47.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I think the less known 5.45x39 cartridge is a contributing factor as well. I have two 5.45 AKs, an Arsenal and a Tantal, and when I bought them surplus 5.45 7n6 wasn't banned from import so ammo was cheap and I bought several 1080 round cases. Now the surplus is just as much as factory new 5.45 and the factory new stuff doesn't have corrosive primers.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I have a Yugo npap from century. It looks cool. The finish is great. However, i can't hit anything with it. It also doesn't work well with optics due to the non standard side mount. Also the high butt stock will bruise your cheek if your nose isn't on the dust cover.

I expect to be able to hit a man sized target at 300 meters with a battle zero. I think it's the way the iron sights are, but I just spray bullets even at 50 meters with that POS.

• Options
    I think the less known 5.45x39 cartridge is a contributing factor as well. I have two 5.45 AKs, an Arsenal and a Tantal, and when I bought them surplus 5.45 7n6 wasn't banned from import so ammo was cheap and I bought several 1080 round cases. Now the surplus is just as much as factory new 5.45 and the factory new stuff doesn't have corrosive primers.

IMO, that's largely the reason for more demand for the 7.62 x 39 AK-47 I alluded: the ammo used. It's way more familiar to people than 5.45 mm. And yeah, the surplus 5.45 ammo was a big factor for those that did go in on a 74 some years back.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The war in Ukraine and Syrian Civil War can't of helped things.

• Options

I out the order in for my Saiga converted rifle back around when the Russian hijinks in the nation of Georgia started about a decade ago. It seemed pretty obvious which way the winds were blowing and what effects it could have on imports.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Yup. Thats also why 7.62x54r surplus is almost nonexistant anymore, 90% of it was coming from Ukraine, being sold by the pro-russian government that got thrown out during the Orange Revolution. Now they need the ammo more than we do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Yup. Thats also why 7.62x54r surplus is almost nonexistant anymore, 90% of it was coming from Ukraine, being sold by the pro-russian government that got thrown out during the Orange Revolution. Now they need the ammo more than we do.

Yeah I've been slowly buying up any kind of 50+ round packs I can find, but it's getting harder to come by cheaply.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Damn that's a pretty smart lock.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    If it actually delivers as advertised, it's a definite purchase.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Damn that's a pretty smart lock.

ehh... it connects to things wirelessly, and uses a programmable password.

without being really really really sure this is designed to be secure from an infosec standpoint, has a plan for how digitally signed update can be applied, and doesn't do excessive beaconing(anyone with the right equipment being able to find your gun from hundreds of feet away is problematic), an internet of things gun lock isn't something id be too interested in.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I want a smart gun that works without electricity. Is that too much to ask?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I called my local Gander Mountain to see about ammo - They're selling 100-round boxes of Federal American Eagle Tactical .223 for $38. Far and away the cheapest I've seen, and it's even 55-grain stuff instead of Winchester white box 40 grain. More surprising still - they've got damn near a hundred boxes of the 100-count just sitting on the floor. No run on ammo at all yesterday.

Anyone have any experience with accuracy? I'm running it out of a Savage bolt gun as a dedicated target rifle. Accurate enough to practice on at 100 yards without getting frustrated?

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    I called my local Gander Mountain to see about ammo - They're selling 100-round boxes of Federal American Eagle Tactical .223 for $38. Far and away the cheapest I've seen, and it's even 55-grain stuff instead of Winchester white box 40 grain. More surprising still - they've got damn near a hundred boxes of the 100-count just sitting on the floor. No run on ammo at all yesterday.

Anyone have any experience with accuracy? I'm running it out of a Savage bolt gun as a dedicated target rifle. Accurate enough to practice on at 100 yards without getting frustrated?

Yeah it'll be fine for 100 yards. You shouldn't have any problems with grouping.

• Options

Yeah it'll be fine for 100 yards. You shouldn't have any problems with grouping.

Thanks :) I've got the rest of the week off, I'd rather be out putting holes in paper.

• Options
    I've shot rifle and handgun. I've never shot a shotgun at all. I've got my 28" barrel for my mossberg 500 (that I haven't shot). My wife has shot the mossberg and other shotguns.

Considering I'm very solid on gun safety and range etiquette, should I feel comfortable going to a skeet/clay shooting place and figuring it out as I go, or do I need to consider a lesson with the location?

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Most ranges with skeet have a short orientation. Stuff like which field hosts skeet, where the shooter can stand (usually obvious), where the clay thrower can go, whether you have to pay for their thrower or if you have to bring your own, what the etiquette is when there's a line of shooters, that kind of thing.

For example, during peak hours, the skeet field at my range has 1 staffed electronic thrower and 5 shooting stations. You take turns shooting the clay from left to right, until you've shot 5 clays, then you line up to go again, with a fee per round. During off peak hours, the electronic throw is off and locked up, so you need to bring your own clays & thrower on wood blocks, as they don't let you stake the thrower into the ground.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    If you're interested in trying out clay shooting, I also highly recommend looking to see if sporting clays are available in your area. Instead of the clays being shot the same way every time, sporting clays has a number of stations set up with a variety of configurations in how your targets are launched. It's often called "golf with a shotgun" and it's a ton of fun.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Are prices for guns and ammo coming down now what with the election results? When would be a good time for a complete newbie like me to get into the buyer market for a rifle?

I happen to live not far from a shooting range/hunting club.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Are prices for guns and ammo coming down now what with the election results? When would be a good time for a complete newbie like me to get into the buyer market for a rifle?

They're static for the time being, and I don't see why they'd drop. It's a one-way ratchet, aside from scalping for the first month or two.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

The kinds of rifles we tend to recommend for newbies aren't as affected by political climate. Ammo availability is more unpredictable as that's not just political climate but global events. Conflicts both consume ammo and influence what ammo gets produced.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I stockpiled over 20 thousand rounds of ammuntion (admittedly half of that was .22) over the last year in order to not have to buy ammo for at least 4 years. I regret nothing.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.