Options

[chat]ing from home

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    image.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I am snorting this milo shit like the finest cocaine btw. I hope his tie gets caught in a paper shredder

Not me, i'm dumb and so goddamn crazy I hope he takes a long hard look at himself, and changes to be a better person.

I like supporting the underdog over all odds, and that scenario is the underdoggiest.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    yup

but a-paid-moderator-in-every-forum is also too expensive

so, I foresee lots of attempts at innovation in automoderation

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i scheduled today off for a doctor's appointment which was then canceled yesterday evening
    debating whether to go in or do nothing all day

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    yup

so, I foresee kots of attempts at innovation in automoderation

Then the way they do business is destined for failure, and their reputation is going to continue to be awful until they find solutions to clean their shit up.

Auto moderation might be something useful, but isn't it experimental and it might not be as qualified to judge things as flesh and blood people are.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I am snorting this milo shit like the finest cocaine btw. I hope his tie gets caught in a paper shredder

Not me, i'm dumb and so goddamn crazy I hope he takes a long hard look at himself, and changes to be a better person.

I like supporting the underdog over all odds, and that scenario is the underdoggiest.

I hope he slips on ice

• Options
    yup

Then the way they do business is destined for failure, and their reputation is going to continue to be awful until they find solutions to clean their shit up.

Auto moderation might be something useful, but isn't it experimental and it might not be as qualified to judge things as flesh and blood people are.

fb's got money to burn

"stochastically good enough" is the target anyway

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »

I hope he slips on ice

i mean, he is not a good person, thats for sure.

to the point where I wouldn't defend him if someone punched him right in the face.

To the point where I wouldn't chastise someone for wishing harm on him.

You have to be pretty far gone for that.

• Options
    :biggrin:

A good professional-grade software for digital art that friends recommended is on sale.

half off!

They told me that registering for the newsletter was a good idea because they occasionally have sales, but i didn't expect to see one so quickly.

now to convince myself that i'm good enough to buy it. :razz:

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to pick up the Conan game

But then I realize only thing I like about the Conan setting is refrencing it as a joke

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    I mean it's less they've 'bungled their moderation', rather with the volume of content produced it's not actually viable to meaningfully moderate anything except for the most extreme and unambiguous content.

That they're not going to burn money failing to do more then that doesn't make them bad business people.

It simply means the market doesn't actually care that much about the occasional people getting their feelings trampled, certainly not to the point it would be worth increasing staffing costs by literally thousands or tens of thousands of percents.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    yup

fb's got money to burn

From a financial standpoint, sure - except this makes them exactly the same as any other soulless corporations who's will to sacrifice letting their customers suffer for the almighty dollar. Ethically they're failures. The harm that they're unable or unwilling to shield their customers from is on their heads, they don't get to wave off the human side when its convenient to their bank account.

Zucker's philosophical experiment as it is is a monumental failure.

It's also good ammunition for anyone who wants to hurt him if he really wants to get into politics, as well.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    yup

fb's got money to burn

From a financial standpoint, sure - except this makes them exactly the same as any other soulless corporations who's will to sacrifice letting their customers suffer for the almighty dollar. Ethically they're failures. The harm that they're unable or unwilling to shield their customers from is on their heads, they don't get to wave off the human side when its convenient to their bank account.

Zucker's philosophical experiment as it is is a monumental failure.

It's also good ammunition for anyone who wants to hurt him if he really wants to get into politics, as well.

Except the vast majority of Facebook users don't actually care about how Facebook functions because it's Facebook

Like I guarantee you if you try and complain about Facebooks's moderation to it's average user their response is going to be "what's moderation?" or possibly "so... you think I should drink less?"

• Options
    Stayyyyy Classy, Steam.

"Feminazi: The Triggering" was released.

I'm just gonna say that this whole philosophy that says that offending people is funny is the pettiest shit.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Except the vast majority of Facebook users don't actually care about how Facebook functions because it's Facebook

Like I guarantee you if you try and complain about Facebooks's moderation to it's average user their response is going to be "what's moderation?" or possibly "so... you think I should drink less?"

I wonder how much of that is by design to get customers, or Zucker's apathetic idiocy, and/or that management let this toxic culture manifest over time.

I also wonder how much money they're leaving on the table if it had an actual good reputation, as well.

This doesn't excuse how badly Zucker or FB have failed ethically either.

edit: I'm curious what's going on behind the scenes of FB, too. Is it like Uber or are they just extremely apathetic?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Stayyyyy Classy, Steam.

I'm just gonna say that this whole philosophy that says that offending people is funny is the pettiest shit.

It's not even terribly offensive at this point, just stupid. Like, my eyes just rolled so hard they fell out of my head and then I accidentally stepped on one and the cat ran away with the other one and now I am blind I am literally blind oh god please call 911 stupid.

Neco on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's just good old Norovirus aggravated by the terrible choice of eating food today
    Norovirus infection is characterized by nausea, vomiting ... and in some cases, loss of taste.

have you been reading any fantasy novels lately EM

Literally had this thought earlier tonight when reading about it

Quick: Do you prefer Coke or Pepsi?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Trying to determine whether or not you are experiencing loss of taste. If you say Pepsi, you have the norovirus.

• Options
    Stayyyyy Classy, Steam.

It's not even terribly offensive at this point, just stupid. Like, my eyes just rolled so hard they fell out of my head and tgen I accidentally stepped on one and the cat ran away with the other one and now I am blind I am literally blind oh god please call 911 stupid.

Like, yeah, at this point it's become expected that people make fun of that, but they do it because they still think it's offensive when it's really just petty and dumb.

Good jerb, guy, you really showed feminism what's what.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Stayyyyy Classy, Steam.

It's not even terribly offensive at this point, just stupid. Like, my eyes just rolled so hard they fell out of my head and tgen I accidentally stepped on one and the cat ran away with the other one and now I am blind I am literally blind oh god please call 911 stupid.

Like, yeah, at this point it's become expected that people make fun of that, but they do it because they still think it's offensive when it's really just petty and dumb.

Yeah, it's not threatening or intimidating it reads more like a bad joke and one that's not funny. That, and I might buy it being a parody via Poe's Law.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Stayyyyy Classy, Steam.

Yeah, it's not treating or intimidating it reads more like a bad joke and one that's not funny. That, and I might buy it being a parody via Poe's Law.

The game is supposedly a very shallow one.

like the underlying joke.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    It honestly deeply scares me that the Overton window seems to have shifted so dramatically in the past five years.

Oh, you think women are people too? What kind of beta SJW are you?

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    It honestly deeply scares me that the Overton window seems to have shifted so dramatically in the past five years.

beta SJW cuck.

The "cuck" part is v important here.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

beta SJW cuck.

The "cuck" part is v important here.

Yes it is. That's how I target the auto-turrets.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    A chap who I once saw have a fight with a wall and lose (specifically he was knocked down and lost a shoe) now has a first author nature paper.

What a world.

I wouldn't trust him to hold my coffee.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    What fascinates me is what they think about games like Cards Against Humanity? Does it repulse them that it's made by liberals who are the polar opposite of their beliefs?

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I love offensive jokes amongst friends that can laugh from the right perspective, but I feel terrible actually offending anyone.

Except people that attack my friends of course. Then I hope their tears burn their wounds.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    A chap who I once saw have a fight with a wall and lose (specifically he was knocked down and lost a shoe) now has a first author nature paper.

What a world.

How did he lose a shoe fighting a wall? lol

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

What a world.

He tried to kick it, missed and the shoe flew up in the air and vanished somewhere behind it

He fell down in the process and banged his head quite badly on the pavement

I can't remember what he was angry about

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

What a world.

spidermanvsthewall.jpg

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    really good readily available beer for guests?

Fat Tire

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    More cement, Joshua!

MORE CEMENT!!!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That is an incredible origin story.

Why yes, I am building a wall right next to my desk full of strange chemicals while wearing a lab coat.

• Options
    Always wear appropriate footwear when assaulting walls.

• Options
    I don't even like offending someone if they deserve it. I have a tendency for "going for the jugular" in verbal spars and spats and a little piece of me dies every time because you can't unsay things.

That said, I don't really aspire to never offend anyone ever because that's boring and impractical and I don't really agree with that either, despite my self-remonstrating psyche. I just try to keep it in check and remember the weight of my words.

• Options
    Flight and hotel for Munich booked. Now to wait until August.

hmmm hmmmmm hmmmmm

Is it August yet?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm flying to LA to go to some national parks over spring break. I've wanted to go for a while, but obviously I had to wait until jake left.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    The Wall needs to make a comeback for 2018's Spiderman reboot.

Neco on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    There's a huge difference to me in arguing with a friend or colleague than engaging a stranger that has attacked me or mine. The latter gets no mercy or remorse.

This discussion has been closed.