Options

Nice weather [chat]

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Somebody once tried to explain to me that Fahrenheit was the superior scale for talking about temperature in human terms, because when it's 80F out that feels hotter than 27C would suggest.

I assume the grave was shallow, as befits such a creature?
    My wrath was even more calamitous: I silently thought to myself that this seems to be a very unexamined belief while smiling pleasantly.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I think replacing fluid measures with liters will work ok, low friction, thanks soda industry. Also exchanging ounces for grams in weighing stuff should also go well cause nobody knows how much an ounce weighs in their hand anyway. So swapping to grams, who would give a shit.

Start the metric replacement today please.
    I agree we should, but until we run out of rednecks, we will always have Mph, Gallons, yards, pints acres and feet.

The perceived gains are so small there just isn't populist support to justify the "cost."

Because honestly, only scientists and engineers are super passionate about it.

You could..... you could just teach kids now both and then slowly phase out one?
    They tried that...actually I think they keep trying it, but learning metric system in a classroom, yay, oh shit everything I own and all measurements I'm familiar with are still based on the imperial system.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    In my current job I not only have to use m or feet depending on the situation, but also dumb shit like nautical miles and fathoms. Still haven't memorized those conversion factors. foot= 0.304 m?? ok, 0.3048, close enough. That's the only one I've got stored though.

How many rods to the hogshead?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    C and F are both totally arbitrary and neither one really has a profound advantage over the other

As such we ought to just use the popular one

Metric distances are better than imperial for sure though

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    furlong is just a name for my donger

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    F is more granular and less awkward with regards to air temp

and that's about the only real benefit to it

I don't need to say "twenty seven point six" to say 82

this is preposterous. the only reason you're saying 82 is because your temperature reading system is set to fahrenheit and it's rounding off the numbers for you. if it was set to celsius it would read 28 and you'd never notice the loss in granularity because 1°F is nothing.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I know not everyone here likes Jim Sterling, but I have to report that he has just described Nigel Farage as "The human equivalent of that feeling you get when you remember you swallow spiders in your sleep."

I could not let that pass me by.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    F is more granular and less awkward with regards to air temp

and that's about the only real benefit to it

I don't need to say "twenty seven point six" to say 82

this is preposterous. the only reason you're saying 82 is because your temperature reading system is set to fahrenheit and it's rounding off the numbers for you. if it was set to celsius it would read 28 and you'd never notice the loss in granularity because 1°F is nothing.

ur mom has a loss of granularity

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I know not everyone here likes Jim Sterling, but I have to report that he has just described Nigel Farage as "The human equivalent of that feeling you get when you remember you swallow spiders in your sleep."

I could not let that pass me by.

Annoyed at untrue statistics?

• Options
    Honestly, for most of my life the only part of the metric system I needed to know was that 28.35 grams were in an ounce.

• Options
    I'll never measure horsepower in kilowatts though

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I think replacing fluid measures with liters will work ok, low friction, thanks soda industry. Also exchanging ounces for grams in weighing stuff should also go well cause nobody knows how much an ounce weighs in their hand anyway. So swapping to grams, who would give a shit.

I agree we should, but until we run out of rednecks, we will always have Mph, Gallons, yards, pints acres and feet.

The perceived gains are so small there just isn't populist support to justify the "cost."

You could..... you could just teach kids now both and then slowly phase out one?
    They tried that...actually I think they keep trying it, but learning metric system in a classroom, yay, oh shit everything I own and all measurements I'm familiar with are still based on the imperial system.

So I lived in italy from ages 7-11, right, but with American parents, so I did I guess learn metric in the classroom but imperial at home? And...it's fine?
    I don't have a good sense of weight in either system (like eventually from lab I could eyeball how much volume it would take to achieve some fraction of a gram of various chemicals). I used to think of temperature in C, but now I think about it in F again, and also my metabolism has changed a lot so temperatures feel pretty different to me now. Distances I can think of in either. Volumes I only understand in metric, again I think reinforced by doing labwork later.
    It's really not too much of a problem to learn units.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Torque is all that really matters anyway!

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Do the Brits still use Stone as a weight measurement?

• Options
    Six wrote: »

Torque is all that really matters anyway!

I like to know exactly how many imaginary ponies live under the hood of my car

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Maaan I am hyped over that Thor trailer. Comic nerds tell me that it looks amazing too and I love that shit. The guy with
    dual machine guns
    is something I am now way looking forward to.

• Options
    edited April 2017

So I lived in italy from ages 7-11, right, but with American parents, so I did I guess learn metric in the classroom but imperial at home? And...it's fine?
    I don't have a good sense of weight in either system (like eventually from lab I could eyeball how much volume it would take to achieve some fraction of a gram of various chemicals). I used to think of temperature in C, but now I think about it in F again, and also my metabolism has changed a lot so temperatures feel pretty different to me now. Distances I can think of in either. Volumes I only understand in metric, again I think reinforced by doing labwork later.
    It's really not too much of a problem to learn units.
    The problem is institutional inertia, and that perceived gains are not worth the "pain in the ass." Learning a measurement and associating it only takes 3 or 4 months if committed.

So because it is annoying and we don't have to we won't.

zepherin on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Metric in the streets.

Imperial in the sheets.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

It's okay your car will spend 85% of its life flipped over in a ditch anyway.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

yes when I roll my eyes at units, everyone is always like 'furlongs per fortnight', which may or may not actually be a dad joke, but is certainly something my dad will say as if it's funny.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Honestly, for most of my life the only part of the metric system I needed to know was that 28.35 grams were in an ounce.

nice

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2017

I dunno about young folk but weirdly people my age and up measure their own weight in stones and pounds, but not much else. I imagine this has survived because it's the one weight everyone has cause to measure, so the traditional way of measuring it is more powerfully ingrained.

Bogart on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    He's only a few hands high!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Nice weather?
    gy5chz6sbw0u.jpg

Yes, seems too nice to be in this office building today.

Houn on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    C is much better than F when it comes to measuring shit.

Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100

Having said that, it gets confusing on camping forums because someone will be all, I went camping and it was -2 out and they don't list C or F and I'm all, hmmmm.... That could mean you're a total badass or you went camping and it was 28 degrees out.

I'm frequently required to remember at what temperature pure water boils at sea level with normal pressure.

if only I knew it in Farenheit!!!!!!!!

also it's not hard to remember that freezing is 32 degrees. Is it arbitrary? Sure, but so are shoe sizes, and I can navigate those.

not to say that celsius is crap, it's just not better outside of perhaps scientific contexts

but i'm not a scientist

It's 100% better. 100C isn't always useful in the context of weather, but 0C is SUPER important in day to day life.

Like, you could remember it as 32 but why bother when a nice big round number makes life easier.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    wow that united airlines incident is crazy. When I first started reading about it I thought "well yeah they oversell. It's dumb but if they tell you you're not flying you're probably not flying"
    THEN I saw the video of the dude being fucking assaulted for..refusing to move? Right or wrong and I was like "wait..he was on the plane already?"

So..they boarded the plane before getting their volunteers or making people give up their seats...

oh and it turns out they were making room for united employees. Hmm... HMMMMMMM.

And united being horrible is completely separate from the dude being assaulted by aircops

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I dunno about young folk but weirdly people my age and up measure their own weight in stones and pounds, but not much else.

Makes it sound better to people who dont know how much that is,

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    so massachusetts legalized pot but there aren't any stores yet?

goddamnit

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    I actually don't know how much weight a stone is.

When it comes up google will answer the question for me, but it's not something I care to know.

• Options

yes when I roll my eyes at units, everyone is always like 'furlongs per fortnight', which may or may not actually be a dad joke, but is certainly something my dad will say as if it's funny.

oh lord I'm a dad joke

*dies of embarrassment*

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    wow that united airlines incident is crazy. When I first started reading about it I thought "well yeah they oversell. It's dumb but if they tell you you're not flying you're probably not flying"
    THEN I saw the video of the dude being fucking assaulted for..refusing to move? Right or wrong and I was like "wait..he was on the plane already?"

So..they boarded the plane before getting their volunteers or making people give up their seats...

oh and it turns out they were making room for united employees. Hmm... HMMMMMMM.

And united being horrible is completely separate from the dude being assaulted by aircops

they didn't even oversell/overbook that flight

they wanted to have 4 employees travel to the next hub

someone I guess offered to give up their seat for $1600 when they were being offered $800 and was laughed at by the manager

I can't wait to see united eat shit for this whole thing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mortious wrote: »

I dunno about young folk but weirdly people my age and up measure their own weight in stones and pounds, but not much else.

Makes it sound better to people who dont know how much that is,

But pretty much everyone knows how fat/thin a certain amount in stones is, so it only works with foreigners who are also blind or on the internet.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Hmm... Breakfast burrito I bought from the store was okay, but I might just eat breakfast at the college cafateria.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I prefer the less exact measurements.

I stick my head outside and go "it's cold" or "it's warm" or "hmmm, nice" and dress appropriately.

I try to lift something and go "I can lift that" or "I can't"

When I cook I say "this needs more, I will put more in"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    What is this Celsius bullshit?

It is how the civilised world measures temperature.

*throws more tea in to the ocean*

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Metric in the streets.

Imperial in the sheets.

But measuring penii in metric makes them sound so huge!

"Hey bro, I got 11 centimeters of fun for you :winky:"

(Please ignore that 11 centimeters is below avg).

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »

they didn't even oversell/overbook that flight

they wanted to have 4 employees travel to the next hub

someone I guess offered to give up their seat for $1600 when they were being offered $800 and was laughed at by the manager

I can't wait to see united eat shit for this whole thing.
    I've taken 400 bucks a free flight voucher and a thing of drink coupons to let myself be bumped, but I didn't have to be anywhere at a specific time so it was a sweet deal. I think I got a hotel room too.

I was mostly surprised that my luggage got there at the right time.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    british tabloids are always like "SHE LOST 8 STONE" next to a photo of a lady in a dress smiling.

wait, is that a lot? i honestly do not know. it sounds like an imperial measure so it's probably somethis really stupid like 12 or 16 pounds but i refuse to learn because I need less of that shit in my head, not more

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Most of my flights with United have been kind of shitty so this jibes with my anecdotal confirmation bias and everything

United sux

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I missed out on the Harry Potter sex consent convo.

What if I drink Felix Felicis and spend the day with you and eventually "get lucky"

What then

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.