Options

Nice weather [chat]

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Quid wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    What is this Celsius bullshit?

It is how the civilised world measures temperature.

*throws more tea in to the ocean*

Typical American not knowing hot to make tea. You pour boiling water on to the bag.

Honestly.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    wow that united airlines incident is crazy. When I first started reading about it I thought "well yeah they oversell. It's dumb but if they tell you you're not flying you're probably not flying"
    THEN I saw the video of the dude being fucking assaulted for..refusing to move? Right or wrong and I was like "wait..he was on the plane already?"

So..they boarded the plane before getting their volunteers or making people give up their seats...

oh and it turns out they were making room for united employees. Hmm... HMMMMMMM.

And united being horrible is completely separate from the dude being assaulted by aircops

they didn't even oversell/overbook that flight

they wanted to have 4 employees travel to the next hub

someone I guess offered to give up their seat for $1600 when they were being offered $800 and was laughed at by the manager

I can't wait to see united eat shit for this whole thing.

aren't there FAA rules on what they have to give you to bump you on a sold ticket

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Alaska Airlines has treated me like a prince and an airline steward gave me free white wine once so they are my favored airline when I can manage it

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    british tabloids are always like "SHE LOST 8 STONE" next to a photo of a lady in a dress smiling.

wait, is that a lot? i honestly do not know. it sounds like an imperial measure so it's probably somethis really stupid like 12 or 16 pounds but i refuse to learn because I need less of that shit in my head, not more

14 pounds = 1 stone

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I kinda like "stone". It just sounds so much more down to earth.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    wow that united airlines incident is crazy. When I first started reading about it I thought "well yeah they oversell. It's dumb but if they tell you you're not flying you're probably not flying"
    THEN I saw the video of the dude being fucking assaulted for..refusing to move? Right or wrong and I was like "wait..he was on the plane already?"

So..they boarded the plane before getting their volunteers or making people give up their seats...

oh and it turns out they were making room for united employees. Hmm... HMMMMMMM.

And united being horrible is completely separate from the dude being assaulted by aircops

someone I guess offered to give up their seat for $1600 when they were being offered $800 and was laughed at by the manager

I've taken 400 bucks a free flight voucher and a thing of drink coupons to let myself be bumped, but I didn't have to be anywhere at a specific time so it was a sweet deal. I think I got a hotel room too.

I was mostly surprised that my luggage got there at the right time.

The best part of this whole situation is United is in super damage control mode and making it worse.

They're getting nasty on twitter and paying reddit mods to delete threads.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I p much only fly Southwest these days. United and American have been terrible at times. JetBlue is great but doesn't really serve Chicago much I guess.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i really like Bush's first album, 224 Pounds

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    furlong is just a name for my donger

yes when I roll my eyes at units, everyone is always like 'furlongs per fortnight', which may or may not actually be a dad joke, but is certainly something my dad will say as if it's funny.

Whenever I go to Subway I order a furlong sub.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Yeah, the things about it beyond the usual stupidity are:

Boarded before getting volunteers (meaning somebody will need to be removed).

Cops being dicks.

Possibly United having an incongruity between their overbooking practices and their employee standby policy, as four overbookings actually arriving is huge and could be explained by not interfacing properly with "we need employees moving."

Maybe them being too greedy about cheapo refunds instead of going to the federal cash minimum immediately.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So I missed out on the Harry Potter sex consent convo.

What if I drink Felix Felicis and spend the day with you and eventually "get lucky"

What then

Luck probably doesn't overpower human consent but it might make someone see you in a slightly better light than they might have normally. Leaves keep conveniently falling and blocking their vision of that weird blemish or something.

What if you drink it and someone has a heart attack resulting in you now getting a reward originally meant for them though? Your luck just nudged their clot a little or something.

Everyone in Harry Potter is a stone cold murderer is what I'm saying.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Welp, that's the last time I ever book United, I guess? Fucking hell, that's terrifying.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Oh my god that Thor Ragnarok trailer is my favorite thing on the internet today.

This is what I want, Marvel, more of this.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

What if I drink Felix Felicis and spend the day with you and eventually "get lucky"

What then
    Presumably you then have sex.

• Options

aren't there FAA rules on what they have to give you to bump you on a sold ticket

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

Involuntary Bumping is what you're looking for, it's basically "pay out the ass to get the person there on time if they have a schedule to keep"

It would've been better for them to just buy their employees tickets on another airline that doesn't get as many passengers, like Delta.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I got a very Far Cry: Blood Dragon feel from that Thor trailer.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    so i got to play new zelda thanks to mnc dover

and i'm running away from some fucking giant that's going to kill me

and i look to my girlfriend and say, watch this

and i jump off a cliff

but instead of using my paraglider i accidentally hit R instead and throw my gaurdian sword off the cliff into the river

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Wow, someone came in trying to get a BLACKBERRY to connect to WiFi.
    I din't know people still bought those!
    Also it totes did not connect.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    I p much only fly Southwest these days. United and American have been terrible at times. JetBlue is great but doesn't really serve Chicago much I guess.

But the cattle car boarding thing with Sourhwest x_x

I will cling to assigned seating and non-self-driving cars as a decrepit old codger being recycled into soylent

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    british tabloids are always like "SHE LOST 8 STONE" next to a photo of a lady in a dress smiling.

wait, is that a lot? i honestly do not know. it sounds like an imperial measure so it's probably somethis really stupid like 12 or 16 pounds but i refuse to learn because I need less of that shit in my head, not more

14 pounds = 1 stone

Which of the 5 types of pounds though? An avocado pound?

Also ounces are both volume and weight because y not :P

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Even our own understanding of weight in stones is nebulous. If you ask a Briton to pile things up until they weight a stone they'll probably trying to get about half a leg's weight of stuff and then frown a lot because they don't use stones to measure anything except whole people. I can barely remember how many pounds are in a stone. I always think it's either 14 or 16, but can never decide which, and it never matters because you only really deal in weight by stones 'and a half', unless you are dieting I guess and then you will try and measure every micron you shed. I wouldn't know, he said thinly.

To lose 8 stone in a diet is basically like shedding an entire skinny person in weight.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I got a very Far Cry: Blood Dragon feel from that Thor trailer.

I would definitely play or watch Thor: Blood Dragon

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Even more stupid: It's 14 pounds

In this case she lost 112 pounds

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    What confuses me, and I can't find an explanation, is that there's a video of the passenger reboarding the plane looking really distraught but it's super short and doesn't show him sitting down and I can't figure out if he like shimmied away from the cops or after roughing him up they let him back on the plane and he flew?

• Options

and i jump off a cliff

but instead of using my paraglider i accidentally hit R instead and throw my gaurdian sword off the cliff into the river

darksouls.gif

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Hmm according to Amazon tracking my laptop has been in Arizona since Thursday.

• Options

and i jump off a cliff

haha it's the wave machine all over again

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    It was dumping snow on the pass this morning.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I mean tbf they are only legally required to pay 1300 so while laughing is stupid, the manager was correct that there's no way he was gonna get $1600 bucks.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

14 pounds = 1 stone

Are there really 16 ounces in a pound and 14 pounds in a stone and 160 stones in a ton?

this is not a measurement system, it is systematic trolling

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    desc wrote: »

I will cling to assigned seating and non-self-driving cars as a decrepit old codger being recycled into soylent

have you tried flying with kids and getting priority boarding ahead of everyone that isn't a premier member

• Options
    What confuses me, and I can't find an explanation, is that there's a video of the passenger reboarding the plane looking really distraught but it's super short and doesn't show him sitting down and I can't figure out if he like shimmied away from the cops or after roughing him up they let him back on the plane and he flew?

Yeah.

They realized the shit they were in I think and tried to pretend like it never happened.

• Options
    Boarding Group C60? Ha!

*waltzes right in after the A group is done*

excuse me B and C plebes

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »

What then

Luck probably doesn't overpower human consent but it might make someone see you in a slightly better light than they might have normally. Leaves keep conveniently falling and blocking their vision of that weird blemish or something.

What if you drink it and someone has a heart attack resulting in you now getting a reward originally meant for them though? Your luck just nudged their clot a little or something.

Everyone in Harry Potter is a stone cold murderer is what I'm saying.

Well, it's like the original version of Aladdin in Scheherazade's 1001 tales - Aladdin's wishes for riches? The genie is actually taking those items from others' homes and is not just conjuring it from nothing. Effectively, Aladdin is stealing others possessions. It's actually a brilliant story and is interesting because people don't usually think about conservation of matter when it comes to genies, magic, and luck.

Like if you find $100 on the street with no one around, it still belonged to someone at some point. Someone lost that. Your good fortune came at someone else's loss. Even if you didn't perpetrate that loss and cannot reasonably do anything to mitigate or resolve that loss, that loss still exists.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

I mean tbf they are only legally required to pay 1300 so while laughing is stupid, the manager was correct that there's no way he was gonna get $1600 bucks.

$300+ the "legal requirement" is small potatoes compared to calling security and risk smashing someone's head into an arm rest tbh.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

have you tried flying with kids and getting priority boarding ahead of everyone that isn't a premier member

Twig for a boarding pass

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

14 pounds = 1 stone

Are there really 16 ounces in a pound and 14 pounds in a stone and 160 stones in a ton?

this is not a measurement system, it is systematic trolling

No it is a system that has worked its way down over the centuries that was based off of real and logical measurements. It is just out of time now.

• Options
    As a Class C near-human,

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    From my experience of british culture stones are almost exclusively used to measure the weight of rugby players. It's strangely specific.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't get Southwest.
    Shittier planes, shittier service, closer (BHM is southwest)
    but somehow its more expensive then just going to ATL and flying Delta.

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.