• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    rlcazifkzm4m.jpg

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I really hope this incident lets Jeff Flake reflect on how he directly lied to the mother of an Aurora shooting victim.
    "While we may not agree on every solution, strengthening background checks is something we can agree on."

Then he filibustered the bill for strengthened background checks.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    ThinkProgress reporter here

Probably a good move

yeah this is exactly the sort of setting where a suppressed rifle would have done a lot more damage, too, because it sounds like a lot of people were essentially saved by having time to get to cover

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Probably a good move

that may be the blackest comedy I've ever heard

They're just canceling all votes, so nothing specific about guns

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    This is the first major domestic incident this year (it's horrible that I have to use so many qualifiers in that sentence...).

I'm terrified of what trump will do

What qualifies as a major domestic incident?

Two Indian guys were shot, one died, and a guy that tried to chase down the assailant was also shot, earlier this year in my neck of the woods.

And the Indian guys were shot because random white old racist guy thought they were Iranians that were taking his job, or some shit

I think the metric is something like 5+ involved for a mass shooting usually.

In any case, this is the first domestic incident this year that Trump has a non-zero chance of responding to. There were also the stabbings in Portland. Stuff like that somehow doesn't make it on his radar.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    If the shooter turns out to be a far-right Trumpshirt that was trying to assassinate the Congressman because he wasn't supporting Trump enough, you can bet that Fox will drop the story faster than the terrorist attack against the IRS building (remember that? The guy flying his plane into an IRS building and killing several people? But because he was a white guy that incidence of domestic terrorism just vanished off the radar?)

I remember that guy because it was here in Austin and happened a block from my old apartment. Dude was a left-wing crazy person with mostly incoherent ideas about communism who was in the middle of a divorce and about to lose his plane, nearly the last thing he had.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    This is the first major domestic incident this year (it's horrible that I have to use so many qualifiers in that sentence...).

Two Indian guys were shot, one died, and a guy that tried to chase down the assailant was also shot, earlier this year in my neck of the woods.

And the Indian guys were shot because random white old racist guy thought they were Iranians that were taking his job, or some shit

There were also the guys who were stabbed standing up for that Muslim girl in ... Washington?

First (of Trump's term) involving a US political figure that I can think of off the top of my head though.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Probably a good move

yeah this is exactly the sort of setting where a suppressed rifle would have done a lot more damage, too, because it sounds like a lot of people were essentially saved by having time to get to cover

If you're talking about the sound, then not really? Suppressors make guns quieter, not quiet.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

Probably a good move

I mean, not really. A suppressor doesn't make a firearm silent. The decibel reduction is on the scale of 10-30 when gunshots are ~140-170 decibels, dependent on firearm, cartridge specifications, and suppressor.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »

I think the metric is something like 5+ involved for a mass shooting usually.

In any case, this is the first domestic incident this year that Trump has a non-zero chance of responding to. There were also the stabbings in Portland. Stuff like that somehow doesn't make it on his radar.

Hmmm.

Yes.

somehow

• Options
    edited June 2017

Probably a good move

If you're talking about the sound, then not really? Suppressors make guns quieter, not quiet.

Oh I am well aware of what a suppressed rifle sounds like

the big thing in an urban setting like this is that, at about 100 yards, a suppressor sufficiently muddies the sound to where people can't tell where it's coming from. or, given the general demeanor of Alexandria, if it's gunshots at all (several eyewitnesses interviewed so far said they heard a 'popping noise" or similar and didn't recognize it, even unsuppressed)

edit to get in a response to NSDFRand: 10-30db is still a logarithmic scale and in a place as loud as Alexandria along Route 1, that is a lot of reduction. Goes from Definite Signal to Background Noise.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    yeah but everyone's seen the movies and know what the "pewp pewp" sound of a suppressed gun firing sounds like right :P

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    "Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., told Fox News he was leaving the practice just moments before the shooting when a man approached him and asked if the participants were Republicans or Democrats." http://m.sfgate.com/news/politics/article/Steve-Scalise-House-Majority-Whip-shot-at-GOP-11218789.php

hell.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'd still wait on motive. That sounds like something that could have easily been made up.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The high end of that scale is accounting for a manual bolt action rifle, sub sonic ammunition, and a quality suppressor that is "wet". That would likely be the most quiet combination and would probably signify someone who has some level of knowledge, training, and experience in killing people. Which doesn't seem to be the case with most shooters like this.

Other than that the suppressor discussion isn't really relevant so I'll drop it.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I hope nobody dies.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'd still wait on motive. That sounds like something that could have easily been made up.

It seems there's reason to believe its unrelated as well from the thread. But it sounds so juicy media will run with it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That may have just been a bystander.

• Options
    "Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., told Fox News he was leaving the practice just moments before the shooting when a man approached him and asked if the participants were Republicans or Democrats." http://m.sfgate.com/news/politics/article/Steve-Scalise-House-Majority-Whip-shot-at-GOP-11218789.php

hell.

The man he described was wearing running clothes. The shooter was wearing jeans.

• Options
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    The high end of that scale is accounting for a manual bolt action rifle, sub sonic ammunition, and a quality suppressor that is "wet". That would likely be the most quiet combination and would probably signify someone who has some level of knowledge, training, and experience in killing people. Which doesn't seem to be the case with most shooters like this.

Other than that the suppressor discussion isn't really relevant so I'll drop it.

agreed, all else I have to say about the matter of tactical considerations is I'm glad this guy seems like he was a pretty bad shot

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

It seems there's reason to believe its unrelated as well from the thread. But it sounds so juicy media will run with it.

Well Kellyanne Conway retweeted the claim, so I could see why people picked it up.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    That may have just been a bystander.

And is why people in the administration shouldn't tweet out info before decent confirmation.

Conway does not care:

Couscous on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Rep Barton's son was at practice. They hid him in the dugout. He's fine.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    DC has good hospitals, and unfortunately a lot of experience with gunshot trauma so hopefully the only thing to come out of this are a few bionic Congressional staffers.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    I'm glad it looks like no one got killed.

If your first reaction to this news was "blah blah blah Republicans," you should probably check yourself for being a goose.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »

If your first reaction to this news was "blah blah blah Republicans," you should probably check yourself for being a goose.

I don't think anyone has said that?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Fuck.

I... strongly disagree with the policies and politics of some of these people, but I don't want them dead. I'm glad to hear that (so far) there are no fatalities, and hope that the situation resolves without becoming a larger clusterfuck in some fashion.

No, that's not sarcasm, nor do I need to be reminded of this administrations propensity for clusterfucks.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular

Literally the first response in the thread is about how "gop fuckers" will use this story to advance their "shitty agenda"

No concern for the victims, no acknowledgment that people have a right not to be fucking shot while they pay softball, nothing. It's not a good look.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    It is grotesque but among my first reactions is enormous relief that the shooter is white and not a brown or a black person

And that he appears to be in custody and therefore can be questioned and tried and charged

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Fuck.

I... strongly disagree with the policies and politics of some of these people, but I don't want them dead. I'm glad to hear that (so far) there are no fatalities, and hope that the situation resolves without becoming a larger clusterfuck in some fashion.

No, that's not sarcasm, nor do I need to be reminded of this administrations propensity for clusterfucks.

The current political climate skeptic in me says that the clusterfuck is literally in progress from this. :/

• Options
    Any attack on an elected official or candidate is corrosive to our democracy. Even beyond the fact that someone targeted it fellow Americans with violence, I'm pretty confident in saying that everyone here is appalled by what happened and happy that there seem to be no deaths.

At some point, they stop being republocrats and everyone is just Americans again, for at least a little while. This is one of those times.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Literally the first response in the thread is about how "gop fuckers" will use this story to advance their "shitty agenda"

No concern for the victims, no acknowledgment that people have a right not to be fucking shot while they pay softball, nothing. It's not a good look.

to be fair, these are the same people that invented a terrorist attack in bowling green to scare up votes

I'm glad no one is dead, but at the same time, these guys are voting to take away healthcare from babies with cancer

I'm glad no one is dead is the best wishes I'm willing to put forth

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

to be fair, these are the same people that invented a terrorist attack in bowling green to scare up votes

I'm glad no one is dead, but at the same time, these guys are voting to take away healthcare from babies with cancer

Did the congressperson who got shot directly start the bowling green scare fraud himself?

If not, then this is irrelevant.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Even more to the point, it's irrelevant no matter what.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

Did the congressperson who got shot directly start the bowling green scare fraud himself?

If not, then this is irrelevant.

It's relevant in that incidents like this will be used for political purposes. Or the attempt will be made anyway.

The political dimensions of the incident matter. Though at the moment you can't say anything because we don't know shit about what actually happened.

shryke on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'd think that with the quality of the people in here, a "I'm happy no one is hurt/dead" preface isn't necessary. Moreover, it's about as useful as "sending thoughts and prayers."

Also, if you don't think this will be used as a political tool, you're naive. Brace yourselves for "the tolerant left."

• Options
    Yahoo news reporter;

Also seeing a lot of places that shooter was in his 60s. Early reporting was "middle aged". May or may not currently be in surgery. If that's the case, I hope he lives so we can get some answers.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My first thought was quite literally "oh gosh" followed by "this is not surprising"

We live in a country where people attempting mass murder is the norm now.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    We live in a world where people are attempting mass murder.