As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] In The Mountain

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
The King in the Mountain, also known as the Bergentrückung in German, is the recurring myth of a Legendary Hero currently asleep, often inside a mountain. When needed, he will awake and save the day and/or bring glory.

Examples of Bergentrückung

King-Arthur-Winchester-Round-Table-closeup-WEB.jpg

King Arthur of Britain

675px-Rome-Capitole-StatueConstantin.jpg

Constantine I of the Byzantine Empire

Constantine_XI_Palaiologos_miniature.jpg

Constantine XI of the Byzantine Empire (they had a few)

Statue_of_William_Tell_and_his_son%2C_City_Hall%2C_Tell_City%2C_Indiana_%28looking_to_the_east%2C_northeast%29.jpg

William Tell of Switzerland

330px-Finn_Mccool_Comes_to_Aid_the_Fianna.png

Fionn mac Cumhaill (Finn McCool) of Ireland

charlemagne.jpg

Charlemagne of Germany, among others

375px-Holger_danske.jpg

Holger Danske of Denmark

800px-Vlad_Tepes_002.jpg

Vlad the Impaler of Romania

His-Imperial-Majesty-Emperor-Norton-I-portrait-crop.jpg

Emperor Norton of the United States

Wow all these legendary heroes are lazy and should wake up.
Hah, surprise Undertale reference because there is a literal Bergentrückung, with part of his music named for the concept!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKLxc2NsNcg

RMS Oceanic on

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    A fast chat, I appreciate that. That ladies might not, but as the old joke goes, who cares.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    A++ Mustaches there. Also, A++ on speed of [chat] creation.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7u8pA10Rzo

8-)

(i got the boston job)

• Options
    I prepared a lifeboat when it looked like we may drift into Anime land. Was easy enough to launch.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @desc

There is an SRD up right now. It's not finalized because they are doing a big playtest and looking at feedback.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    What did YouTube do that has made ppl mad today?

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    needs more Holger Danske

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Just over here raging at my computer screen

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The King in the Mountain, also known as the Bergentrückung in German, is the recurring myth of a Legendary Hero currently asleep, often inside a mountain. When needed, he will awake and save the day and/or bring glory.

[snip]
    Hah, surprise Undertale reference because there is a literal Bergentrückung, with part of his music named for the concept!

Noyohoho! I hoped for the unnertell ref to be made.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I really wish there were more takeout options in Yellowknife. I'm taking dinner over to a friend's place tonight and she's a bit of a picky eater.

I don't want to get pizza, so I'm thinking the deli at the grocery store, but that's gonna be fried chicken and vegetables or something similarly unimaginative.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    latest?cb=20110726003909

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

They're saying that you are no longer allowed to link to your Patreon or Merchandise unless you have monetization enabled

There are some channels that pride themselves on being Ad-Free thanks to their Patreon, and Youtube is now saying no you can't do that

And like most dumb Youtube decisions, this appears to have been announced with immediate effect and no warning so everyone's flat footed, and odds are Youtube won't explain this at all

• Options
    Weren't work weeks worse before the 8 hour one? Like that was a positive change?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

They're saying that you are no longer allowed to link to your Patreon or Merchandise unless you have monetization enabled

There are some channels that pride themselves on being Ad-Free thanks to their Patreon, and Youtube is now saying no you can't do that

And like most dumb Youtube decisions, this appears to have been announced with immediate effect and no warning so everyone's flat footed, and odds are Youtube won't explain this at all

Huh, I expect to hear from Jim Sterling about this.

• Options
    edited September 2017

[snip]

Noyohoho! I hoped for the unnertell ref to be made.
    It's the whole reason I made that OP

For your faith I reward you with more goats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUGnDmDDheI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Wlljk6CHQ

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    One thing I find fascinating about the prospects of Russian ads / twitter accounts is that pretty much what we're talking about is the ole' "Cause Unrest" spy action in world building games like Civ.

But now in the real world, you don't have to send a shadowy figure with a beret to stir up the locals into unrest. Now you just log into twitter with an account called TruePatriotXx and post, "Can you believe the disrespect coming from the NFL! It's insane!"

cptrugged on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I mean, the patreon thing looks like people assumed youtube was a free resource in their business model who would let them use their tools forever without any kind of cost.

If one of your primary vehicles for generating revenue is youtube, they probably deserve a taste

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @desc

There is an SRD up right now. It's not finalized because they are doing a big playtest and looking at feedback.

Yep, just downloaded it (and printed a hard copy at work >_> )

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    needs more Holger Danske

Just for you

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Preacher wrote: »
    Weren't work weeks worse before the 8 hour one? Like that was a positive change?

I think it's the misplaced credit that's supposed to be the issue, maybe.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

Yes

And now the US in particular has really stepped back from it and you're expected to do like 60 hour weeks

That's the aggravating thing

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Huh, that's going to splat a bunch of modders and other content creators.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

It was a positive change. What makes me mad is when its treated like it was the magnanimous act of a benevolent titan and not something wrested away by labor.

Ford was a virulently anti-Semitic protofascist who did business with Nazis. He should be a constant source of national embarrassment, but hey he was good at making money.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    needs more Holger Danske

Just for you

WIKVqZP.gif

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Oh wow. Jim Sterling is one of those guys. And the guy that came up with the end run around the auto monitization some companies were doing to non monitized videos.

Bet he'll have some words.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

It is crediting Ford for it instead of the people who fought for it.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    I mean, the patreon thing looks like people assumed youtube was a free resource in their business model who would let them use their tools forever without any kind of cost.

If one of your primary vehicles for generating revenue is youtube, they probably deserve a taste

I dunno youtube is ok with racist nazi sympathizers being one of their prime revenue generators. Maybe they deserve a "get fucked" especially with how they demonitize people without much warning or explanation.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Patreon is a pretty nice thing

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I dunno youtube is ok with racist nazi sympathizers being one of their prime revenue generators. Maybe they deserve a "get fucked" especially with how they demonitize people without much warning or explanation.

get fucked in this case is "stop using youtube" though.

Which is fine; if people want to set up their own site where people can see the content, go for it. Squarepace plus s3 is crazy cheap and easy to run.

YouTube is under no requirement to let people use their platform to make a bunch of money and use loopholes to avoid giving any of the revenue to them.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

This is the worst of it, I think. Youtube changing policy sucks, but every company does that. Youtube does it immediately and you can find the rug pulled from under you with no explanation.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

the big problem (that I see) is that there are significant issues with youtube's monetization scheme (mostly DMCA stuff) that results in your viewers seeing ads and you not getting a penny out of it because some big name claimed you infringed their copyright. There is then months spent arguing back and forth and at the end, the company got all the revenue from your video and whether or not the video is ultimately determined to be fair-use, you're not getting any significant money from it anymore.

Google has got to fix the abuse in their system before they go "Nope, no competitors allowed!"

I mean, clearly they don't because they own the system. There's a reason they got rid of "Do no evil"

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Why do youtube comments still exist.

what value do they add to anything

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

Yes

And now the US in particular has really stepped back from it and you're expected to do like 60 hour weeks

I don't think we've stepped back that far.

edit: Google says 47 is the average for adults, which is still quite significant (nearly 20% up from 40) but not quite 60.

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

This is the worst of it, I think. Youtube changing policy sucks, but every company does that. Youtube does it immediately and you can find the rug pulled from under you with no explanation.
    I will agree that part sucks. Should have given 3 months notice.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Which is fine; if people want to set up their own site where people can see the content, go for it. Squarepace plus s3 is crazy cheap and easy to run.

YouTube is under no requirement to let people use their platform to make a bunch of money and use loopholes to avoid giving any of the revenue to them.

Last time I looked, squarespace is pretty pricey (though comes with a bunch of handy tools I'm sure) compared to other options, and especially compared to the free thing they've been using.

YouTube is under no requirement, but they also rely on these content creators. Pissing them off by abusing their trust and switching the rules at random is not a great idea.

• Options

Also, they already get a taste the way they get a taste from all the regular non monetized videos. They got a taste when my buddy posted his vacation videos, they got it when Landshark posted a video of him playing piano, they always get a taste.

Apparently, they want it ALL.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

yeah the 8 hour day was a huge thing the early labour movement fought for worldwide.

eight-hour-banner-pioneers.jpg

Until the 1830s, the demand was for the 10 hour day.

It was a fight of maybe 150 years. Giving Ford the credit is obscene.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Except Google didn't look for a single solution to this problem other than "use our monetization system".

Why not look at charging content creators a fee when they are generating large amounts of traffic and not running ads?

That seems like a thing that is both possible and makes sense. "You're using our platform to make money, pay us some of that money".

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

Yes

It's cheaper to work someone for 60 hours and pay overtime (loooooooool they're probably salary who are we kidding) than it is to hire 2 people to work 30 hours a piece (where we should be at instead).

They should make overtime punitive. Just get rid of salary worker and put everyone as hourly, and OT is double time. No more fancy math on what counts as "overtime" either, if it's past 8 hours a day, including a 1 hr lunch (or 30 minutes + 2x15 minute breaks) then it's overtime.

If not, we put business owners on a fucking boat and..

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.