Options

[QUILTBAG]: The time for Pride has passed. Now is the time for Wrath.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    assigned cool at birth?

That was my first thought

Well, after wondering if it had been reversed by taking a selfie in a mirror, seeing if that acronym made more sense, then realising that the letters were the right way round and I'm a fool

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I stg thought for a second it was "assigned child at birth". Like, "the doctor and my parents did not think I should be assigned a gender, so they just said 'child' and let me figure it out".

Shadowen on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    God how great would it be if that was the standard.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    All Cops Are Bastards

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    For those who don't know, ACAB = All Cops Are Bastards

Also, hope y'all are having a great weekend!
    Rad aussie lass asked me to be her girlfriend and I said yes, so that's a whole fun new thing!

Also I remade the Super Mario RPG thing I did for the kids last year and we invited the nieghbor to play after they had a sleepover with the kiddos last night and it went really well!

Also! Welcome to fashion town. Population: not me, actually.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    clearly the way you wear an ACAB shirt is that anyone who knows what it means will just nod in agreement at you

if anyone asks what it means and you don't really wanna say, you tell 'em you were assigned cool at birth

seems legit

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    assigned cool at birth?

My first thought was "Assigned Cisgender At Birth", but I like your guess better. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2018
    I saw it pop up when BLM was at the height of public consciousness, so I assumed it was Assigned Cop At Birth.

Which you have to admit isn't that far-fetched for some of these people.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    iMpaFrE7nc-rRXRNmlIMPtItkdN3Uy_QwLyn4_pRiOk.png?s=35cb806f5d9a283af6acf148b82b6e83

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    That's one of the seven Boss Baby spinoffs in the works.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Figured it was appropriate for pride month.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My dad just sent me an email containing nothing but a link to a BBC article called "how talking about my self-harm saved me"

I haven't self-harmed in over a decade and I am pretty confused what point he is trying to make here :confused:

(Also confusing is that last time he messaged me he said "hey make a new email account with your new name" so when I replied to that I did so from my new email, but he sent this message to my old account. But that's probably just him being forgetful or bad at computers rather than meaning anything)

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I seen this and of course immediately thought of you all. Plus it's awesome.

90q0hat0yh86.png

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    My dad just sent me an email containing nothing but a link to a BBC article called "how talking about my self-harm saved me"

I haven't self-harmed in over a decade and I am pretty confused what point he is trying to make here :confused:

(Also confusing is that last time he messaged me he said "hey make a new email account with your new name" so when I replied to that I did so from my new email, but he sent this message to my old account. But that's probably just him being forgetful or bad at computers rather than meaning anything)

He's probably saying, if this is a thing that is still going on in your life, you should talk to us about it and it's ok. Sort of like a reaching out thing, but in an awkward dad way.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

Maybe he read it and was thinking of you and hoped you were okay, and hoped you still didn't feel that urge to harm? My dad's a bit rubbish at showing his feelings, but not all dads are created the same.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    And mine would totally send me a random article because he liked a quote or something in it, assuming I'd pick up exactly what he was on about without needing to provide context.

Dads: enigmatic as fuck

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Me and my dad are programmed not to say we love each other so we show our affection by trying to one-up each other's awful, awful jokes.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well now I feel in this awkward situation where the onus is on me to say something about it or else I'm not acknowledging his rubbish attempt at communication. And I don't want to talk about it, it's ancient history as far as I'm concerned. So I guess I will just ignore it and enjoy feeling guilty and slightly confused.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He may just want to know you're alright. Does he know about what you're going through at the moment?

On the other hand, it may be what tynic said. I usually have to call my dad to ask him what he meant, which is usually what he wanted anyways.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    you're under no obligation to send a reply, but rather than feeling guilty and confused, why not just say, "If this is about me, thanks for the thought, but it's ancient history as far as I'm concerned." that would seem to put an end to the conversation while simultaneously expressing your confusion and reassurance that you're handling yourself...

e: this is coming from me knowing moment to moment how well or poorly i am coping with life in general (much less my specific challenges) and its seeming obviousness, contrasting with my parents only getting the highlights i mention. they're worriers, and in managing the effect of that on me, i've asked them if i shouldn't share that stuff for their peace of mind, 'cause I'm just mentioning it as that's what's going on in my life at the moment, NBD. i don't need their stress adding to mine when it's ostensibly worry for my sake. so that's where i land.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've decided years back that one of my familiar duties is to keep my father slightly off balance whenever I'm around

man's either gonna learn how to emotionally connect to and trust his daughter, or die of old age first

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I keep having mini panic attacks about moving, ugh. Adulting fucking sucks.

I'm a dumb, how can people expect me to navigate this shit when I have to basically remind myself to be a human being with biological processes to maintain.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I keep having mini panic attacks about moving, ugh. Adulting fucking sucks.

I'm a dumb, how can people expect me to navigate this shit when I have to basically remind myself to be a human being with biological processes to maintain.

Don't worry, they're generally autonomic

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Well I started an online therapy thing since I think it'd be more helpful to have someone to talk to occasionally as opposed to just on scheduled sessions.

Hopefully this will help. I've been experiencing massive, like, unbelievably bad anxiety and depression since I started my job. Which sucks, because I like my job! But just in the evenings and on weekends I just find myself full of absolute dread for whatever reason.

• Options
    I'm gonna have to stop getting into discussions about ace/aro people being queer, on twitter.

I'm starting to get too stressed out over this shit. I got better things I can do with my time. Blugh.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to stop getting into discussions about ace/aro people being queer, on twitter.

I'm starting to get too stressed out over this shit. I got better things I can do with my time. Blugh.

that fucking pikachu meme by @AnimatedText

I even got a cishet whining that he had it worse that ace people over that meme.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2018
    Einzel wrote: »
    I seen this and of course immediately thought of you all. Plus it's awesome.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/c8/90q0hat0yh86.png
    This is cute, but I just hope the Babadook can quickly find new work.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular

I had someone legitimately try to tell me that ace people are ‘queer-adjacent’ but not queer, and when I tried to politely disagree she accused me of being ‘another straight white man trying to take up genuine queer people’s space’

When I came out as NB last week she accused me of faking it to make myself seem more interesting. And when I said that I’m starting to think I may be demisexual as opposed to ace, she told me to stop making up fake orientations :rotate:

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »

I had someone legitimately try to tell me that ace people are ‘queer-adjacent’ but not queer, and when I tried to politely disagree she accused me of being ‘another straight white man trying to take up genuine queer people’s space’

When I came out as NB last week she accused me of faking it to make myself seem more interesting. And when I said that I’m starting to think I may be demisexual as opposed to ace, she told me to stop making up fake orientations :rotate:
    Ugh that person is horrible and also has no idea what they're talking about.

• Options
    Though that is pretty cool that you apparently got to meet the Supreme Arbiter of Queer Identities and Language

• Options
    Could you forward that I have some complaints about bullshit gatekeeping that need to be resolved?

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Though that is pretty cool that you apparently got to meet the Supreme Arbiter of Queer Identities and Language
    Okay but it appears SAQIL is a hydra. Please advise.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

Honestly, there's so, so little to be gained by engaging. It ends up being incredibly draining and personally harmful. I just block and move on.

• Options
    Okay but it appears SAQIL is a hydra. Please advise.

I don't know much about hydras but I'm pretty sure if you cut off the head then it will die completely and give you no further problems.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I posit that anyone who would front the idea that someone would come out as queer just for attention is a garbage person and not worth talking to.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Y'all I'm so excited! And also nervous! But in three days @cromarty comes to visit and oh jeez. I love her a whole whole bunch and we are gonna have tons of fun, the three of us. And I already don't want her to have to get back on that plane :((((

• Options
    I feel like calling ace people het is inherently misleading. Especially folks who are just pure ace, rather than somewhere in the grey ace spectrum. If you don't experience attraction, you're not heterosexual. The most common argument to the contrary that I keep seeing is that cishet also refers to heteroromantic, which is a damn copout in that context. Heteroromantic awareness is good, but not for queer erasure.

If you're demi, then I think your capacity for attraction should logically fall into whatever category best describes that; Bisexual, in my case.

But the inability to consistently experience sexual attraction, the way most people do, seems inherently queer to me.

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular

Ugh that person is horrible and also has no idea what they're talking about.

I posit that anyone who would front the idea that someone would come out as queer just for attention is a garbage person and not worth talking to.

After giving it some thought, I have come to the same conclusion. Especially since everyone else in my life has been so lovely and supportive.

Like today, when I told my housemate that I wanted to try to look a bit more femme, she gave me one of her cardigans and helped me to do my hair and makeup!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I specifically mention I'm asexual in my profile, here, so that it's in folks' face somehow

irl I never to engage with my sexuality on a public level - I don't leave the house, I don't go to pride/whatever, etc.

anyone else feel really tired when it comes to talking about being trans? it's already such an established thing for me, and I'd rather dispatch my dysphoria in peace

I don't get to be Melissa: noted gray ace and bisexual to folk when my gender tend to eclipse my sexuality

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I've started using the term androphilic for my orientation. I'm ace and I'm pretty sure I'm aro but I still like dudes in a way I can't adequately describe. And homo/hetero are useless to me because my own gender is just an amorphous fuzzy blob at the moment. I like androphilic. Feels comfortable.

This discussion has been closed.