Options

[QUILTBAG]: The time for Pride has passed. Now is the time for Wrath.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to stop getting into discussions about ace/aro people being queer, on twitter.

I'm starting to get too stressed out over this shit. I got better things I can do with my time. Blugh.

Honestly, there's so, so little to be gained by engaging. It ends up being incredibly draining and personally harmful. I just block and move on.

I know. I already do limit time spent on this sort of thing. But it's important to me that I have some understanding of the points of view that these attitudes are stemming from. It helps me process and categorize this kind of thing.

The more I'm able to understand a thing, the less alien it becomes to me. It makes it easier it is to deal with. And it makes me better equipped to defend my POV if it ever comes up in a discussion I'm seriously invested in.

That said, I tend to get myself caught up in this stuff more than I should. My anxiety's been higher than usual, lately. Not a great way to start off pride month. :/

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I've started using the term androphilic for my orientation. I'm ace and I'm pretty sure I'm aro but I still like dudes in a way I can't adequately describe. And homo/hetero are useless to me because my own gender is just an amorphous fuzzy blob at the moment. I like androphilic. Feels comfortable.

You can definitely be attracted to someone without having romantic or sexual desires toward them and I like having a term for that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/04/politics/masterpiece-colorado-gay-marriage-cake-supreme-court/index.html

Supreme Court rules in favor of Colorado bakery that refused to bake gay wedding cake.

The problem here for me is that this basically legitimizes discrimination. Like... I can't imagine that this case would even have made it to the highest court if it was regarding something like national origin or religion.

http://kdvr.com/2018/06/04/supreme-court-sides-with-lakewood-baker-in-same-sex-wedding-cake-case/

Local Denver station with a more detailed story than FUCKING CNN

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I just got the nicest message after our local Pride event:
    Heeeeey so I just had to share, and hopefully you’ll get as big a kick out of it as I did. We were talking, tonight, about Pride and the service today, and I was complimenting <her kid> on his description of “transgender” today during the service. And we were reminding <her kid>, for the billionth time (it seems) that no matter what his future holds, we will love him and accept him, and so will everyone who knows and loves him.

And then he says, “Oh, I know. Like I bet if I wanted to start identifying as a girl, people would be really supportive. Like InfamyDeferred. I can’t even really remember what InfamyDeferred was like when she was still calling herself a boy. Like I don’t remember what <friend> looked like before she got glasses. It’s kind of the same. Like when people get glasses, they’re not really different, they just look different but you know that they don’t have a choice so you say, ‘nice glasses’ and support them no matter what. Right?” I just love that, to this particular 8yo, being transgender and needing glasses are like the same level of importance. Neither is weird to him. And that’s kind of awesome.

Anyway, I wanted to share the conversation, since you got a mention. Thanks for being you, and providing a model for my kids to see that it’s never too late to be yourself. And how NOT strange and completely natural the transition can be.

• Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/04/politics/masterpiece-colorado-gay-marriage-cake-supreme-court/index.html

Supreme Court rules in favor of Colorado bakery that refused to bake gay wedding cake.

The problem here for me is that this basically legitimizes discrimination. Like... I can't imagine that this case would even have made it to the highest court if it was regarding something like national origin or religion.

http://kdvr.com/2018/06/04/supreme-court-sides-with-lakewood-baker-in-same-sex-wedding-cake-case/

I'm pretty much bracing for years of this sort of thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

It doesn't, really. The ruling was exceedingly specific to this case, and said that, in this one case in particular, the bakery was given poor treatment by the state's court, and says little to nothing about what obligation public businesses have to serve the public.
    The ACLU has a better explanation:

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I mean, I'd expect the reporters local to the story to go more in depth than a national news company.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

It doesn't, really. The ruling was exceedingly specific to this case, and said that, in this one case in particular, the bakery was given poor treatment by the state's court, and says little to nothing about what obligation public businesses have to serve the public.

I think what I'm more afraid of is that the particulars of the case won't actually matter in the long run, kinda?

Like, this will be, regardless of the facts of the case, be used as a rallying point for shitty people.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Duder, if the court had said that the bakery was wrong, shitty people would have screamed discrimination.

If RBG had just thrown her hands up and offered to bake the couple a cake herself to solve it, shitty people would lose it because the courts are being taken over by leftists.

Shitty people are gonna be shitty.

Narbus on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    It sets a precedent, for sure, and some people will try to use this case as an example (albeit a bad one) to suggest that discrimination is entirely some kind of right that they're entitled to, without facing any sort of repercussions.

I'm sure the bakery is baking themselves a celebratory cake and inviting all of their homophobic, right-wing friends who supported the bakery in their "hour of need". It makes me a little bit sick just thinking about it.

On a happy baking note, the company I work for is holding a bake sale to raise money for the Rainbow Railroad charity. I'm actually off work next week (going to watch E3 news all week long at home) but I live real close to work and I was asked if I wanted to bake something.

Thinking about brownie-baked Fudgee-Os with rainbow sprinkles on top. :)

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    You can quibble about specifics and all but the headline is still that the Supreme Court upheld a business's "religious right" to discriminate against queer people and that, on its face is really (rightfully) upsetting to a lot of queer folks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    People aren't going to see the specific nature of what this ruling was about.

Hateful people are going to take it as a signal to go wild with their bullshit.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    After having a Supreme Court seat snatched and about 100 or so federal judge positions stolen I'm certain things will get worse before they get better.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    100% fuck the idea that we should accept a shitty reality just because there's awful people in the world

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    100% fuck the idea that we should accept a shitty reality just because there's awful people in the world

Especially since the American legal system is so heavily based on precedent. Rejecting the lower court's ruling is precedent.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The "particulars" are that the asshole fuckhead bakers "religious beliefs" were't given the respect they were due by the city in the process and cite some remarks by officials that they "believe" are "discriminatory". So they're throwing it out.

Which ignores the very simple fact that, it is illegal to refuse service to someone based on their sexual orientation in Colorado. Period. The End. Do Not Pass Go.

So they threw out the law, and ruled on emotion because three of these justices are fucking cowards that realize the baker did not have a legal right to refuse service and didn't have the character to uphold the law.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Oh hey inevitable Pride time slagging because I’m in hetero-appearing relationships :x

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    tell me who to fuck up, Jess

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    <3

Just a some masc4masc dude doing Van Pride things, but fuck that guy :/

I’ll happily just go to the dyke march and the trans march and be welcomed by those amazing folx

• Options

I think what I'm more afraid of is that the particulars of the case won't actually matter in the long run, kinda?

Like, this will be, regardless of the facts of the case, be used as a rallying point for shitty people.

Honest question: Does it really matter if it can or can't, at this point?

Their outrage is farther removed from reality than it's ever been in my lifetime.

If we do literally nothing to fuel it, they will just invent whatever they need to rile up their base.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    <3

Just a some masc4masc dude doing Van Pride things, but fuck that guy :/

I’ll happily just go to the dyke march and the trans march and be welcomed by those amazing folx
    Well, I just learned a new term today.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Their outrage is farther removed from reality than it's ever been in my lifetime.

If we do literally nothing to fuel it, they will just invent whatever they need to rile up their base.

Yes, it matters. While minorities have always been at the whim of selectively-enforced legislation, having that legislation makes a difference. One example: corporations are likely to err on the side of caution when it comes to potentially incurring penalties for discriminatory policies, and as such are likely to stand against state-level policies that could complicate things for them financially. Legal rulings like this weaken that effect and make it less of a clear-cut decision to oppose discriminatory legislation that could affect their bottom line.

The maliciously shitty people remain shitty no matter what but there are plenty of other shitty people who will keep up a veneer of respectability until they no longer feel they need to. Those are the people who are affected by things like this and those are the ones I'm worried about most.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It is rather important that bigots in official capacities need to generally feel like they must pretend like they aren't bigots.

It is historically a good reason for alarm when this is no longer the case.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

I have ordered the thing and this feels like a step? Or a milestone? Or something? And gosh now I have to wait for it to arrive....

• Options
    I haven't been swimming since before I started transitioning 6+ years ago

it's weird to think about

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    I haven't been swimming since before I started transitioning 6+ years ago

it's weird to think about

*Nods*

We are doing a waterslide birthday party for the youngest in about three weeks so I wanna look nice! And it helps take my focus off of worrying about bad shit that can happen wrt people and interactions

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I have ordered the thing and this feels like a step? Or a milestone? Or something? And gosh now I have to wait for it to arrive....
    Swim dresses are great! I found a couple that I liked last summer and it was my first time in the water in probably over a decade.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    I barely ever went swimming before now, to the point that for a while I didn't even own a swimsuit. I don't see that changing much in the future.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited June 2018

Yes, it matters. While minorities have always been at the whim of selectively-enforced legislation, having that legislation makes a difference. One example: corporations are likely to err on the side of caution when it comes to potentially incurring penalties for discriminatory policies, and as such are likely to stand against state-level policies that could complicate things for them financially. Legal rulings like this weaken that effect and make it less of a clear-cut decision to oppose discriminatory legislation that could affect their bottom line.

The maliciously shitty people remain shitty no matter what but there are plenty of other shitty people who will keep up a veneer of respectability until they no longer feel they need to. Those are the people who are affected by things like this and those are the ones I'm worried about most.

I was actually referring to shitty people using this to be more shitty, not the outcome of this case.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.

Goatmon on

• Options

I was actually referring to shitty people using this to be more shitty, not the outcome of this case.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.

Even then it matters. Shitty people being shitty on bullshit they made up sucks but it doesn't carry the same weight as being shitty on merit. This can and will be used by shitty people to legitimize more shitty things. Precedent matters.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Potentially stupid question.

I self identify as bisexual. But I don't want to say that I'm not pansexual. It's not that I don't find NB/trans/queer folks sexually attractive on a whole, I just haven't personally been attracted to anybody within those spheres.

So can I consider myself pan if I haven't? If I say I'm bi, am I inadvertently offending others?

Is it ok to say, I identify as bisexual, but if the right NB type person came along, I could shift to pansexual?

Is that even how it works?

I want to put up some bi pride stuff in my fb, but don't want to insult my nb/trans/etc friends somehow.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If bi feels right then you should use bi?

It seems unlikely to me that somebody would be upset by bi pride stuff and if somehow they were I think it would be kind ridiculous to be upset with you personally over it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I think excluding queer people from your definition of bisexuality might be more offensive?

I might be wrong, but I think no one's going to fault you for identifying as bisexual over pansexual

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    I think excluding queer people from your definition of bisexuality might be more offensive?

I thought that was the difference in the definitions? Maybe not? Maybe I'm just over thinking things and have managed to upset people by saying anything.

Sorry if that was the case. It wasn't intended.

• Options
    The definition of bisexual most queer-inclusive folks have settled on is "attracted to your own and other genders". Most people aren't going to assume anything malicious if you ID as bi over pan

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Pan is probably a better like. Definition for me? But bi has the best mouthfeel so i just use it

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

I thought that was the difference in the definitions? Maybe not? Maybe I'm just over thinking things and have managed to upset people by saying anything.

I always thought of it like "pansexual evolved into the preferred term through the passage of time" moreso than "bisexual and pansexual have distinct meanings". Like how "transgender" has mostly supplanted "transexual" in the modern lexicon but older trans people might still prefer to call themselves "transexual" because they're just more accustomed to it. Academically there are reasons why the preferred term is changing but if somebody is using an older term as a self-label then I'm generally not going to get on their case about it or read too much into it.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Swimming rules

It was awkward last summer because like, I had come out to friends as trans, but also I wasn’t about to buy a swimsuit back then, so I was still...taking off my top and wearing swim trunks? It just felt insanely awkward, but not swimming in Florida in the summer is just not an option I wanna go with

Yesterday I got a really cute swim dress at Burlington and went swimming last night, and today twice

I only went the second time to piss off a transphobe that was in the apartment complex pool, he and his young son were in the pool while I was helping my roommate bring some groceries upstairs and he gave me this really disgusted look and randomly pulled his kid aside and started talking about “the ways to tell guys from girls”

I was like ohhhh my goddd fuck this guy so I walked upstairs, threw the groceries in the fridge, put on my swimsuit and went downstairs and got in the pool. He and his kid just stayed on the farthest side of the pool possible and then they left after about five minutes. Didn’t say a word

Fuck that dude

Also yay I got my driver’s license today!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

It just implies that "pansexuality" is the only moniker which covers attraction to people who aren't cis.

Platy on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    At this point I think the difference between bisexuality and pansexuality is largely up to the personal feelings of whoever is self-identifying.

I identify as bisexual instead of pansexual, because when pansexuality was first described to me, it was defined as "attracted to people regardless of gender". While I am attracted to all genders, I am attracted to them very differently, particularly people who identify as male and female. So I still identify as bisexual, because gender identification plays a major role in how (and sometimes whether) I'm attracted to people.

That being said, I have explained this to lots of people over the years, and some people are bemused by this differentiation between pan and bi. As I said, I think it's mostly personal preference. Go with whatever feels right to you. The people who are going to be shitty about it are probably already going to be shitty about bisexuality or pansexuality in any case.

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.