As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vacation's over in the [Jobs] thread

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In my efforts to pump up my inevitable teaching resume I decided to get into after-school activities this year.

So that is how I am now going to help out/work with the Gaming Club at the high school every Friday after school.

My fiance ran the games club at the last high school she had a gig at. The kids loved it. She loved it, too. (She started the club, so of course.)

I'm sure she's excited to start one up or work with an existing one whenever she gets a permanent gig in the city here.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    In my efforts to pump up my inevitable teaching resume I decided to get into after-school activities this year.

So that is how I am now going to help out/work with the Gaming Club at the high school every Friday after school.

My fiance ran the games club at the last high school she had a gig at. The kids loved it. She loved it, too. (She started the club, so of course.)

I'm sure she's excited to start one up or work with an existing one whenever she gets a permanent gig in the city here.

When I moved to Cheyenne from Council Bluffs Iowa I was disheartened in high school they did not have gamming clubs or programing or such just generic clubs
    Even most of the people in them seemed disinterested in being in them

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I run a board game club. We have 60+ students signed up this year which is huge for a club.

Also setting up a separate video game program which was the focus of my master’s thesis.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I run a board game club. We have 60+ students signed up this year which is huge for a club.

Also setting up a separate video game program which was the focus of my master’s thesis.

wow that rivals sports clubs holy crap

are they going to weed anyone out or is it open to everyone?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »

The gaming club I am jumping into was formed by a math teacher who I have known for 19 years (we went to middle school, high school & college together).

Yay!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

wow that rivals sports clubs holy crap

are they going to weed anyone out or is it open to everyone?

I predict only about half will show up. They have to sign up and get an official club pass to attend.

They have to move us to the cafeteria for enough room.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    shit even 30 is a lot of people for a gaming club

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Didn't realize I had gotten a voicemail yesterday about a job. I'm bothered by it because it is not for a company I've ever contacted.

Got another voicemail today about a 6 month contract at $14 hourly through genesys talent. I might give them a call after work.

I've hit my work complacency again. I've had a pretty "fuck it" attitude all day and not feeling panicky while collecting.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have a friend who is an Occupational Therapist working with kids. He has a weekly therapeutic D&D session he runs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Have everyone play pandemic legacy then at the end do a presentation on how all the games ended differently due to unique player choice.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Have everyone play pandemic legacy then at the end do a presentation on how all the games ended differently due to unique player choice.

We did play pandemic legacy season 1!

Last year, the first year, we had a steady 20-25 kids.

This weekend I’m going to buy a bunch more copies of UNO, which is very popular and easily scalable, and another copy of Kingdomino. Just in case we actually get 60+

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

... that's almost like cheating.

• Options
    Also I should probably make an official library social media account to post updates on these clubs and the cutting edge tech I’m using. See if I can get a write up in a trade journal or something.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Retirement is when?

Wishful thinking is 45, more realistic but still a bit wishful is 55.

Honestly, I should be able to stop working full time in 5 years. After that the kids are gone and my wife and I will just need enough money to cover insurance.

• Options
    just start up dozens of MtG and D&D/pathfinder games to truely destroy those children

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    just start up dozens of MtG and D&D/pathfinder games to truely destroy those children

If he wants to do that, he should start up games of Game Workshop's Kill Team. Let the kids cut themselves on their hobby knives and poison themselves with plastic glue!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So I took the OAR this morning, it's the test to become the officer in the Navy. It felt very tough while I was taking it, there were a lot of questions where I wasn't super confident about my answers, a lot of taking my best guess, and a decent amount of catching the trick in a trick question at the last possible second. Also the test had this horrible thing where if you clicked an answer it instantly took that as the answer and moved you on to the next question, no click and then hit confirm or anything. Better not misclick! Also my computer crashed halfway through the test and the proctor had to restart it which definitely made me feel off my game.

Got the to the score screen at the end, saw a 75. Aw man, a C, oh well, I can re-take in a month and study up and do better. Proctor comes over, closes out the test, and then congratulates me on my 75 out of 80 score and tells me that it is the highest score he has ever personally seen.

:D:D:D

• Options
    Elaro wrote: »

If he wants to do that, he should start up games of Game Workshop's Kill Team. Let the kids cut themselves on their hobby knives and poison themselves with plastic glue!

all of them, all of them at once

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    GW actually has a school program and will send out a bunch of starter kit stuff to schools.

The first hit is always free...

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Genuinely yeah, all those things and more. If the only thing a games club exposed me to was Warhammer shit I'd drop games club like a priceless vase I wasn't supposed to touch. I like MtG now but it probably would have scared me off as a kid. D&D would have been most likely to click.

And there's tons of great stuff outside of those niches too. Show kids the wide world of gaming available to them to ensure everyone finds something that suits them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

The middle school I went to had a model club
    Alas I thought I did a good job but I was far outclassed by some of the other students with their models they did in their spare time. Needlessly to say they changed the rules the next year to only be able to present the ones you worked in the group.

I was sent to live with my grandfather late that summer and during one lunch I over heard some kids talking about Eldar grenades and master crafted items starting me on the time and money sink that is wargaming.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I get to retire at 63 with a pension. I can take early retirement at 55 or so, but it'd be a reduced pension. And I have a job that is easy enough to do until 63.
    I'll have put in almost 30 years by that point, so I'd get a decent amount. I lucked out with my job.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Genuinely yeah, all those things and more. If the only thing a games club exposed me to was Warhammer shit I'd drop games club like a priceless vase I wasn't supposed to touch. I like MtG now but it probably would have scared me off as a kid. D&D would have been most likely to click.

And there's tons of great stuff outside of those niches too. Show kids the wide world of gaming available to them to ensure everyone finds something that suits them.

Yeah no reason not to. In terms of cost a board game club is probably pretty cheap too.

Could probably send out a request to parents to donate old board games to the club, and at the very least you'll have 20 monopolies to use.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    My little two man marketing department isn't the squeaky wheel of the company because it's just not efficient for us to be so. But as the last link in the chain we're often dealing with whatever engineering is handing us (busted builds, blown deadlines, features shifting and not telling us). We tend to roll with it because what the hell else are we going to do? It just means that we often take off in one direction in order to get done what actually has to be in regards to marketing.

"Did you guys put out a press release?"
    Yep.
    "Oh."

"Oh shit there's a trailer for the beta?!"
    Yeeess.
    "Huh...ok."

"Wait...there are how many people on the mailing list?"
    More than the last game we made - the one that won a BAFTA.
    "....how the fuck?"

"Do you guys have a marketing slack channel we could join?"
    Uh, there are two of us, we just...talk to each other.

So, we just decided that we're going to borrow from another video game and adopt ourselves a little departmental motto: We do what we must because we can.

Imma get it put on t-shirts.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Today is the first day we've had a decent bit of rain since moving to the new office. I can hear the rain on the roof. It's nice.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Pro-tip: ALWAYS CHEAT*

*Except in relationships and such.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Yeah no reason not to. In terms of cost a board game club is probably pretty cheap too.

Could probably send out a request to parents to donate old board games to the club, and at the very least you'll have 20 monopolies to use.

Getting a bunch of old copies of Monopoly and challenging kids to use the pieces to create a new, more fun game with them would be a cool project, I think.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Oligopoly. Two randomly chosen players get one of each property and are able to trade before starting the game

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Getting a bunch of old copies of Monopoly and challenging kids to use the pieces to create a new, more fun game with them would be a cool project, I think.

You should be able to convert them to Anti-Monopoly sets.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    In the last two days of work I have written 10,000 words.

It would be more but the last couple hours today I was trying to retrain myself to type with all my fingers instead of just using mostly my middle and index finger like a fucked-up velociraptor. It has not borne fruit.

• Options
    I mentioned to some students that I'd be at the gaming club this Friday and that I wanted to play some kids at Smash.

And one of them immediately, in the back of the room, started laughing.

"You're going to try to beat us? Us?"

And my response was effectively the clean version of this:

xw06hSS.png

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Pro-tip: ALWAYS CHEAT*

*Except in relationships and such.

In reality, there is no such thing as cheating. There are only unmet expectations.

Alternatively, Maxim 31: Only cheaters prosper.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Edit: I decided this was undue bitching on my part. I've removed it

Bucketman on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Got this patient with Munchausen syndrome who starves herself to look like a cancer patient and goes around to multiple hospitals in multiple states. She poses as her mother on her Facebook account and gofundme with 11k followers raising money to support her medical travels.

Don't donate shit to people online.

Munchausen is unsettling enough, but at least it's not Munchausen by proxy.

It probably began that way. I never met any parents, but I wouldn't be surprised.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So my program is a public policy school. As a result, we have lots of policy practitioners come through

I got picked in a lottery (cause that's the only fair way to do it) to meet with a potential 2020 presidential candidate in a small group

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So my program is a public policy school. As a result, we have lots of policy practitioners come through

I got picked in a lottery (cause that's the only fair way to do it) to meet with a potential 2020 presidential candidate in a small group

Save us all.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Alternatively, the ring has come to you, Oghulk, it is your burden to bear.

Weaver on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I mentioned to some students that I'd be at the gaming club this Friday and that I wanted to play some kids at Smash.

xw06hSS.png

Wait telling someone you’ll lay them the fuck out isn’t clean?

Shit.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Please pass along our warmest regards to Deez Nuts.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

xw06hSS.png

Earlier today I told a co-worker I would kick his ass because "I've been playing Smash since before you were born, child."

Then later I checked the math and got super bummed that I wasn't actually exaggerating.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.