As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I have ordered a composter and a kitchen bin.

Next spring my backyard gonna be lit.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It's DNS

Make sure the guy you call for the new furnace reads the install guide.

Every fucking thread

• Options
    Anyone know what would cause a burning metal smell in our kitchen? At first I thought my wife put the oven in self cleaning mode but apparently not.

It doesn’t smell like an electrical fire, also it’s persisted for a few hours now.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Anyone know what would cause a burning metal smell in our kitchen? At first I thought my wife put the oven in self cleaning mode but apparently not.

It doesn’t smell like an electrical fire, also it’s persisted for a few hours now.

... burning metal?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Your cache of jet fuel caught fire?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »

... burning metal?

I think it smells like an oven that’s been self cleaning. Wife says it’s more like rancid cooking oil.

Checked all the sockets and light switches, none are warm to the touch.

Quid on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Turn on some fans, open some windows and get some airflow in there. Once you can no longer smell it, close everything up and go sniffing around your major appliances. I would check around back of the fridge and dishwasher.

• Options
    If it is one of those is there something we should be immediately worried about?

• Options
    If it is one of those is there something we should be immediately worried about?

That depends. Once the air is clear, if the burning smell comes back and you trace it down to an appliance, yes that is something you should immediately worry about. You probably want to unplug that appliance and figure out what exactly is making the smell.

If you clear the air and the smell doesn't come back but you are able to trace it back to the appliance using the residual smell, it's probably fine. Dust bunnies can get into a motor and burn up doing no lasting damage.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Pouring columns into the wall should be done this week, next I have to get rid of the mountains of debris out of my yard and tear down/replace a fence...possibly at the same time.

I'm sick of working on this shit, I'm going to start getting quotes.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Dust bunnies can get into a motor and burn up doing no lasting damage.

Except to the poor dust bunny. :sad:

sd83hdrmzlpu.png

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    A little follow up from the insulation talk on the last page. I found a site that says spray foam insulation actually produces a ton of greenhouse gases.
    It should be noted, however, that greenhouse gas emissions associated with the blowing agent used to produce both extruded polystyrene foam board and standard closed cell spray polyurethane foam are so high that the ‘greenhouse gas payback period’ for installing these types of insulation can exceed 100 years if applied in large quantities.

One strategy to deal with this environmental imbalance as well as the high cost of these spray foams is to apply them in small amounts in conjunction with another type of insulation.

10635F02.jpg

http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/family-home-consumer/insulating-colorado-homes-10-635/

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    So can someone not trying to sell to me give me an overview on what the scams are when it comes to mortgage lending?

Like there are big ol banks and credit unions, there's the little nobody companies who I assume are just originators... why are the advertised rates swinging a full half percentage? Why does the zip code matter so much and how is that even supposed to work since you get the loan before you have a house picked out.
    What is actually a reasonable amount of fees, what's a normal lock period, what's the big trap some unscrupulous lender is going to try to sell me on?

I'm wading into some shark-infested waters here.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    So can someone not trying to sell to me give me an overview on what the scams are when it comes to mortgage lending?

Like there are big ol banks and credit unions, there's the little nobody companies who I assume are just originators... why are the advertised rates swinging a full half percentage? Why does the zip code matter so much and how is that even supposed to work since you get the loan before you have a house picked out.
    What is actually a reasonable amount of fees, what's a normal lock period, what's the big trap some unscrupulous lender is going to try to sell me on?

Best defense is to use a lender or credit union recommended by a trusted friend or family member.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

That depends. Once the air is clear, if the burning smell comes back and you trace it down to an appliance, yes that is something you should immediately worry about. You probably want to unplug that appliance and figure out what exactly is making the smell.

If you clear the air and the smell doesn't come back but you are able to trace it back to the appliance using the residual smell, it's probably fine. Dust bunnies can get into a motor and burn up doing no lasting damage.

That happened to my old fridge. After the burning smell dissipated the fridge stopped working. Turns out the compressor motor died.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Sometimes the advertised rates will contain points. So you basically pay more in closing to drop your rate down a tiny bit. Each bank has wiggle room too, on top of that.

You'll want to look into FHA loans as a first time home buyer, unless you think you can swing 15% of the cost to buy (10% closing + 5% down payment). Even as an FHA buyer, look to spend about 10% of the home's price to close.

The rates tend to change daily, so the quicker you get that locked down after you find a house the better (they're on the rise too).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    A little follow up from the insulation talk on the last page. I found a site that says spray foam insulation actually produces a ton of greenhouse gases.
    It should be noted, however, that greenhouse gas emissions associated with the blowing agent used to produce both extruded polystyrene foam board and standard closed cell spray polyurethane foam are so high that the ‘greenhouse gas payback period’ for installing these types of insulation can exceed 100 years if applied in large quantities.

One strategy to deal with this environmental imbalance as well as the high cost of these spray foams is to apply them in small amounts in conjunction with another type of insulation.

10635F02.jpg

http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/family-home-consumer/insulating-colorado-homes-10-635/

Assuming you're not accidentally using illegally made CFCs instead.
    Cause then you're also putting a hole in the ozone as well.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    discrider wrote: »

10635F02.jpg

Assuming you're not accidentally using illegally made CFCs instead.
    Cause then you're also putting a hole in the ozone as well.

I understand you're trying to be environmentally conscious, but the relative amount of spray foam you'd be using is a drop in the ocean, as far as the propellant. Yes, I understand it's this way with basically every environmentally-impacting item.

I'm not sure what propellant it uses, but you can also get DIY kits if you just need to do relatively small square footage or want to spot-fill. I want to say you can get a DIY kit that does 600 sq ft total (so 20ft x 30ft; or roughly 5.5m x 9m).

Mugsley on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    To be honest, I haven't actually seen the spray in foam in Aus, and I'll likely spring for the blow in insulation if and when I can justify the cost.
    Just have to reduce the amperage on the circuits whilst installing more wiring and decide to not be looking to buy a bigger house in the near term.

discrider on
  • Options
    I'm sure they have them in Aus; depending how far DIY you want to go, you can rent the blower machines and just have to buy the batting to feed in.

Also I assume if you want to do this, you should do it soon before your temps start to skyrocket.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    To be honest, I haven't actually seen the spray in foam in Aus, and I'll likely spring for the blow in insulation if and when I can justify the cost.
    Just have to reduce the amperage on the circuits whilst installing more wiring and decide to not be looking to buy a bigger house in the near term.

Blow-in insulation here is typically wool fibre and there is no propellant as such - it's pumped in with plain old air.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

The zip code is necessary because they don't want to approve one amount and rate for one region and have you buy a house somewhere else. Some markets just way less risky for lenders than others.

As for the scams I'm not really aware of any. Unless you just mean getting crappy rates or overpaying closing costs. You can stave off a lot of that yourself by flat asking different agents or lenders for their rates. Also between your agent and lender tgey should protect you from a sketchy title company or whatever.

• Options
    Ostensibly, the banks need the zip code so they can ballpark your appraisal and decide what they can pre-approve you for; as far as mortgage ceiling.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also state to state regulations are different, which can swing fees etc.

• Options
    THE COMPOSTER

cvB9aZnl.jpg

IT GROWS

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Looks like it's about to chase down some X-Wings.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    xXsmgURl.jpg

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Is it raccoon proof tho

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Is it raccoon proof tho

We’ll find out!

sgZGRw8l.jpg

Basil is the first in. He got a nasty bacterial infection that kills his leaves and flowers before they can pollinate. I’ve managed to help him along but at this point nearly every leaf is infected.

Godspeed Basil, may future Basils be stronger because of you.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    O man. We got an offer after 3 months of wandering in the dark.

$160K, moving date : 30 November (just perfect for us.. and apparently, a significant inconvenience to the buyers)

We're in a condo so our our parking space is rented, not ours to transfer as we wish. That second clause just had to be included, didn't it...

zqxfywdliz66.png

We can do our best and try to speak with the board ourselves to get them to transfer our spot over. However, if the board is stubborn and says ''NO''.. wel, the deal is dead.

Fuck, I hate having no control over this situation.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    I looked at six different condos today and boy are my arms tired.

god I hate having to do this balancing act

square feet
    parking situation
    and $$$

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    also, Jean, it's weird that they do the parking spaces like that. Every place here (WA) I've seen the spots are dedicated to a given unit.
    You're in a relatively big city though right? More units than spots?

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    also, Jean, it's weird that they do the parking spaces like that. Every place here (WA) I've seen the spots are dedicated to a given unit.
    You're in a relatively big city though right? More units than spots?

I'm in Ottawa. Population 1 million. Yes, they're is more units than spots. I can easilly understand why our parking situation would discourage buyers, especially in a spread out city like this where it can be hard to get by w/o a car, especially if your job isn't 9-5; M-F,

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I have a fridge with a lower drawer freezer that is starting to make this intermittent kind of high humming noise that seems to be coming from the bottom of it. Also it did freeze all of our cubes into a large chunk and it seems like there's frosty build up against the back inside wall. My question is, is the frost a cause or a symptom? What should I be checking out more in depth?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The cubes freezing together mean it got warm enough to melt them before dropping below freezing again. A sign of a failing thermostat, or a failing compressor that isn't coming on when it should. Some frost is normal, heavy frost is usually a sign that it's not sealing, so moisture is getting in, or a symptom of things in the freezer thawing and producing moisture inside the freezer that then condenses and freezes to the first thing that's cold enough. The humming could just be normal vibration that occurs as things get older and mounts get looser, or it could be the compressor struggling.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that sucks, but I get it. A bit selling point on our current place for us was the fact that it has a 4-car parking lot for the (2-family) house.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    If it's feasible, pull your fridge out while it's running and take off the access panel. See if things are dusty or gummed up and do a general cleanup.

Some of the pipes can get hot, so be careful, but look for signs of a leak in the refrigerant lines: discoloration near a possible hole, cracks at braze points, or possibly around the housing of the compressor itself (it looks like a small basketball)

I believe there are some YT vids that can help.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I have a fridge with a lower drawer freezer that is starting to make this intermittent kind of high humming noise that seems to be coming from the bottom of it. Also it did freeze all of our cubes into a large chunk and it seems like there's frosty build up against the back inside wall. My question is, is the frost a cause or a symptom? What should I be checking out more in depth?

Icing at the back of the freezer could indicate the drain line might be clogged. The noise could be the defrost cycle running without any water in it.

Your freezer is designed so that, if frost is going to build up some place, it'll be back behind the far inside wall of the freezer. Back there is a condenser coil and a drain system. On high end units there may even be a small water pump. Frost builds up back there. Every so often the coils heat up, melting the ice away. Liquid enters a drain spout to exit the freezer cavity to an evaporation tray under the fridge. The drain line that allows the melted ice to exit the freezer cavity can sometimes freeze over. This will cause ice to build up in the back of the freezer, closest to the coil assembly.

There are 2 ways to fix this. A right way and a fast/easy way. The right way is to empty the entire fridge/freezer, turn it off and let the entire system come up to room temp. Take the inside back wall of the freezer out and clean everything with a vinegar water mix and a toothbrush. Take special care to clean the drain line as that can get clogged with shmoo. The fast/easy way is to just take your food out but leave the thing running. You chip away all the ice and take the back wall out. You chip away as much ice as you can. Get a pot of boiling hot water and use a turkey baster to melt the ice clogging the drain hole.

Finally, eventually your ice cubes will fuse together even at sub 0 temps. As the ice sublimates, some of the vapor condenses between cubes and will eventually fuse them together.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm going to be cutting out one of my sprinkler motors and replacing it. Or filter. Or something.

Woke up this morning to one of our sections going full blast, turning off all sprinklers did nothing, so I had to cut the water to all our sprinkler lines. Guessing it'd been running for about 6 hours. Awesome.

Wish my friend who knows all this stuff hadn't moved away :p

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    So, now my other neighbor just confronted me about my wall encroaching on his property. A couple months ago we had discussed and agreed upon this so that we could run the shared fence right off the center of the wall. So I'm encroaching on his property by 3"

I called up my father who was there to set the bricks and he apparently had mention it that day, at which point we offered to move the wall to only on our property and he said it was fine.

It also sounds like both my asshole neighbors think my father owns the property and we're trying to flip it.
    I was planning to stay here at least 5+ years but with this kind of shit I might get out earlier.

I'm really fucking sick of dealing with old white men. Cowardly, passive aggressive and then wondering why no one wants to fucking talk to them and they have no friends.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.