Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Finally played some Yomi last night

I am very bad at Yomi but I think I really really like Yomi

I do not know how to get better

Hey Mr. G ! Really glad you enjoyed your first taste of Yomi! :biggrin: What characters did you play, and play against? Any particularly exciting moments or big comebacks?

If you're looking to improve your play, here are some generic tips that apply broadly to most of the cast in most match-ups.

3. Only play combat options that lead into beneficial situations for you. For example, even if you knew with 100% certainty that your opponent was going to block or dodge on a certain turn, you should block if you have neither (1) a good combo off a successful throw, or (2) a good combo off a mix-up normal if you threw them to get knock-down this turn. Winning combat in Yomi is uncertain - you can't rely on doing it; but once you have won combat, unless they have and play a Joker, your follow-up damage is 100% certain. It's therefore important to maximize the value (i.e. damage) of your combat wins as much as possible.

So I've only played a starter match or two with Grave and Jaina, but I'm curious about trying everyone in Round 1, and maybe eventually the roster

The only questions I have are I don't understand what you mean with the bolded part, because if I wanted to be safe, I should always play block, but when should I feel comfortable playing an attack? or even a throw?

and it would also be very helpful to me if I could get some rough equivalencies from Yomi characters to Street Fighter ones

I already got that Grave is Ryu, Jaina is Ken, and Setsuki is Ibuki, but I'd love to know like who the Guile or Chun-Lis would be

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    It's my birfday weekend!

My family is hitting up the Renaissance Festival and then having a sleepover party at my best friend's house. The kids will be going to bed semi-immediately, in all likelihood, and then we are going to play so many games until, like the tired adults we are, we fall asleep at, like, 2330, tops.

I'm bringing, uh, X-Wing 2.0 - all of it - Sprawopolis, Mint Works, Coup, Love Letter, Exploding Kittens, and Hardback. They have a nontrivial collection, too.

Cannot. Wait.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    @Mr. G

Roughly, these are the Yomi characters and their corresponding fighting game character analogues.

Grave - Ryu (Street Fighter)
    Jaina - Ken (Street Fighter)
    Midori - E. Honda (Street Fighter)
    Setsuki - Ibuki (Street Fighter)
    Rook - Potemkin (Guilty Gear)
    DeGrey - Dudley (Street Fighter)/Slayer (Guilty Gear)
    Valerie - Fei Long (Street Fighter)
    Geiger - Guile (Street Fighter)
    Lum - Faust (Guilty Gear)
    Argagarg - Dhalsim (Street Fighter)

Quince - uuuuhh maybe SFV M. Bison? he's a vortex character
    Onimaru - I honestly have no idea... aesthetically he's probably closest to Hakumen, from Blaz Blue - has very slow unblockable attacks, and very fast invincible attacks
    BBB - Dhalsim (Street Fighter)
    Troq - T. Hawk (Street Fighter)
    Menelker - Akuma (Street Fighter)
    Persephone - Poison (Street Fighter)
    Gloria - Elena-ish (Street Fighter)
    Gwen - Jam-iiiiish (Guilty Gear) rushdown character that naturally loses HP over the course of the fight in exchange for more cards
    Vendetta - Vega (Street Fighter)
    Zane - older versions of M. Bison
    The only questions I have are I don't understand what you mean with the bolded part, because if I wanted to be safe, I should always play block, but when should I feel comfortable playing an attack? or even a throw?

When you should attack, throw, or block is a very difficult question that lies at the heart of Yomi, and figuring it out is what the game is all about. My advice was a rule of thumb that you can employ while starting out with the game: when in doubt, blocking is never a bad idea. Most match-ups in Yomi start out with both players having awkward or undeveloped hands. This means that if you won combat off a throw or an attack on your first turn, you probably wouldn't have a great combo to play as a follow-up. Even if you did have a great combo to play on T1, doing so might leave you with an even smaller, even more awkward and undeveloped hand.

So, if you have an awkward hand and a small hand, where winning combat with an attack or a throw would not allow you to convert the combat win into good damage or a favourable next turn, then you should probably block.

Blocking (or dodging) is not actually the safest combat reveal. The safest combat reveal is a dominant speed attack (for example a 0.0 speed attack) backed up with a Joker. If you have these two things in hand, you are guaranteed a turn where the worst possible result is that your opponent dodges your attack, and even then, the Joker will allow you to take 0 damage from their dodge follow-up. However, unlike dominant speed attacks, blocks are common, build your hand size and quality, and are only beaten by the riskiest combat reveal (throws). The fact that your opponent must expose themselves to the highest degree of risk (throws lose to attack, which are the highest pay-off combat option) to beat your blocks is what makes them a very strong play throughout a match.

So, if the default is to block. when should you attack or throw? When you have both a good pay-off from winning combat with either, and when you believe you have good odds to win combat with them. For throws, that's fairly simple: throw when you have a good combo off throw, and when your opponent has a weak hand and/or a small hand, or if you believe they are worried about you attacking them. For attacks, it's a bit more complicated. The first part remains the same: attack when you have a good combo off your attack. But the additional tip is: attack when your opponent is likely to throw (i.e. they think your hand is weak, or small) or when you believe your attack will be faster than your opponent's attack.

Because of the rock-paper-scissors nature of Yomi, each of these situations has its own "Yomi cycle": (0) I should block in the early game to improve my hand size and quality, (1) I should throw in the early game because my opponent will want to block, (2) I should attack to beat throws in the early game, because my opponent will try to punish my blocks, (3) I should block to beat my opponent's anti-throw attacks, and on and on and on. So while the risks and pay-offs in a given match-up will be very similar every time, every game will play out differently as the players involved try to anticipate the actions of their opponent, all informed by their knowledge and estimations of the other's cards. Each character's unique cards and abilities means that they are more or less able to gain pay-off from a given combat option at the early, mid, or late game compared to any other character. As you play, you will build your sense of when you are most exposed to risks from throws, attacks, or blocks.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations for good horror games? I have Betrayal at House on the Hill but I'm looking for more.

For narrative there's Mansions of Madness and Mythos Tales.

MoM is basically Cthulhu Hero Quest. An app runs everything and it's very easy to learn with not many rules.

Mythos Tales is Cthulhu Consulting Detective

The Arkham Horror Card Game? That's heavier though and a terrible dollar value if you're in it for the story and not a heavy deck builder guy.

Ghost Stories is my longest going favorite co-op.

• Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    Any recommendations on a good solo game with a small footprint? I'd prefer a short-ish game (30 min. or less) but I'm not opposed to something longer. I've been mainly playing roll and writes solo (Ganz Schon Clever, Noch Mal!, Octo Dice and Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age) but I'm interested in something with a little more meat. I do enjoy both Terraforming Mars and Agricola solo but they both take up a fair amount of room and can be lengthy. I own other games that would work well solo (Mansions of Madness 2E, Elder Sign, Gloomhaven, Orleans with Invasion expansion) but they all use up way too much table space.

Games I am considering:

The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game (My wife and I love the board game but all the solo variants I've found seem more fiddly than I'd like)
    La Granja No Siesta
    Nusfjord (Concerned about how much table space it uses but it seems like it'd play in less time than Agricola. I also like that it has some similarities to Glass Road which I really enjoyed but my wife did not so it got traded)
    Santa Maria (Suspect it will take up too much space but I love dice drafting games plus it has tile placement which I also love)
    Spring Meadow
    One Deck Dungeon

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I can speak for One Deck Dungeon, it's pretty fun and quick. I don't know how small I'd consider the footprint though. I don't know that it'd be comfortable to play on say, a plane's tray table.

COB:TDG is very fun and definitely small footprint but I've never played it solo.

• Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I can speak for One Deck Dungeon, it's pretty fun and quick. I don't know how small I'd consider the footprint though. I don't know that it'd be comfortable to play on say, a plane's tray table.

COB:TDG is very fun and definitely small footprint but I've never played it solo.

Do you think a small card table (the one I use is 2' x 2' I think) would provide enough room for One Deck Dungeon?

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    It's my birfday weekend!

My family is hitting up the Renaissance Festival and then having a sleepover party at my best friend's house. The kids will be going to bed semi-immediately, in all likelihood, and then we are going to play so many games until, like the tired adults we are, we fall asleep at, like, 2330, tops.

I'm bringing, uh, X-Wing 2.0 - all of it - Sprawopolis, Mint Works, Coup, Love Letter, Exploding Kittens, and Hardback. They have a nontrivial collection, too.

Cannot. Wait.

I'm 37, and my friends and I still get a cabin every year for 5 days where we can board game and nintendo game. It never gets old and don't care if people say otherwise. First night there we all pass out so early!

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      emutheelf wrote: »
      Any recommendations on a good solo game with a small footprint? I'd prefer a short-ish game (30 min. or less) but I'm not opposed to something longer. I've been mainly playing roll and writes solo (Ganz Schon Clever, Noch Mal!, Octo Dice and Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age) but I'm interested in something with a little more meat. I do enjoy both Terraforming Mars and Agricola solo but they both take up a fair amount of room and can be lengthy. I own other games that would work well solo (Mansions of Madness 2E, Elder Sign, Gloomhaven, Orleans with Invasion expansion) but they all use up way too much table space.

Games I am considering:

The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game (My wife and I love the board game but all the solo variants I've found seem more fiddly than I'd like)
      La Granja No Siesta
      Nusfjord (Concerned about how much table space it uses but it seems like it'd play in less time than Agricola. I also like that it has some similarities to Glass Road which I really enjoyed but my wife did not so it got traded)
      Santa Maria (Suspect it will take up too much space but I love dice drafting games plus it has tile placement which I also love)
      Spring Meadow
      One Deck Dungeon

I sadly don't own many solo games, so I can't recommend much. It is a bit unorthodox, but perhaps look into a Perplexus puzzle? I love the things, as there is definitely a skill to them. I will warn that they take up a decent chunk of room, as they don't collapse, but I display them like art pieces.

There are also digital games that you can play against an AI.

...And as I was typing this, I remembered that my original ideas have solo modes! I would highly recommend Mint Works and Mint Delivery. Both have extremely small footprints and play quickly while having a surprising amount of depth.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      I thought Sagrada's solitaire play was generallymore compelling than the actual multiplayer game.
      Menara is also pretty good solitaire, but it's a bit more activity than game. It also might take up slightly more than 2'x2'. YMMV.
      Friday is sort of a classic that you should look into. I think it would play out quickly if you play often, but the puzzle/risk management is good.

• Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Do you think a small card table (the one I use is 2' x 2' I think) would provide enough room for One Deck Dungeon?

Should be fine if you have some sort of dice tray.

• Options
      edited October 2018

Yeah I think that would be plenty. If you could comfortably play magic on it that would be more than enough space. The plane tray table would be cramped but doable just kind of eyeballing it, so anything after that should be okay.

I've often thought that BGG should have "minimum playable area" as a metric for games. I get that that's kind of subjective but it would also be useful! Travel games, or bigger games at high player count you may realize too late "Oh I can't actually get a five player game of Agricola in on this table."

ChaosHat on
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Yeah I think that would be plenty. If you could comfortably play magic on it that would be more than enough space. The plane tray table would be cramped but doable just kind of eyeballing it, so anything after that should be okay.

I've often thought that BGG should have "minimum playable area" as a metric for games. I get that that's kind of subjective but it would also be useful! Travel games, or bigger games at high player count you may realize too late "Oh I can't actually get a five player game of Agricola in on this table."

I'd include a max recommendation too - I have games I love that just need a smaller table despite a larger play count. I'm looking at you, One Night...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      edited October 2018
      Athenor wrote: »

I'd include a max recommendation too - I have games I love that just need a smaller table despite a larger play count. I'm looking at you, One Night...

I mean that seems even harder to determine since it's spacing based and it would depend on your table layout, something that doesn't work rectangularly might work at one of those round or hexagonal tables. Maybe like "maximum optimal player distance from center point" or a reachability score.

Minimum playable area seems like a thing that could catch on. I bet a bunch of tabletop nerds would enjoy solving the puzzle of "how can I place all this shit in a way that makes it as small as possible but still usable."

ChaosHat on
    • Options
      BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
      https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/keyforge/pre-launch/

My local store is on the list! We doin this bois :O

DCbpx03.jpg

I think Untamed is my favorite, but I kind of like anything that isnt Mars.

• Options
      Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
      Bedlam wrote: »

DCbpx03.jpg

Nice! I'm hitting up one of my local stores in the 10th for their event, excited to finally get a deck and start feeling out the houses.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    • Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Bedlam wrote: »

DCbpx03.jpg

Nice! I'm hitting up one of my local stores in the 10th for their event, excited to finally get a deck and start feeling out the houses.

Huh, I was expecting to have to drive at LEAST 10 minutes to get somewhere for this, but my usual X-wing place got in on this.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Yeah, I just noticed my "local" store (I still have to drive like 25 minutes to get there, but they're still the closest thing, hooray for living in the middle of nowhere) is on both the pre-launch event list and the Launch Party list.

Probably going to try to make it to both? They just need to lock down a day.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
      Literally the closest place to me running this is 75 miles and a $3 toll. I'm on the east coast, too.

• Options
      ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
      Re:solo-play, small footprint:

Just played Sprawlopolis last night, and that’s a good puzzle game; it has a one-player variant.

• Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      Elvenshae wrote: »
      Re:solo-play, small footprint:

Just played Sprawlopolis last night, and that’s a good puzzle game; it has a one-player variant.

Honestly I prefer playing Sprawlopolis solo. There's not that much difference between solo and multi at any rate.

• Options
      FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
      Some expansions released that I didn't know about. For CONAN, we have the Stygia and Khitai expansions, I had some Amazon Bucks to spend and now those are winging towards me, by Crom. I'll post some photos when they arrive.

Also the Lockdown expansion for THE CAPTAIN IS DEAD. Played this one yesterday; it borrows many mechanics from ESCAPE FROM COLDITZ but we played with a horrible strategy, quickly driving the Alert level down to Shoot To Kill, which the Aliens did. With extreme prejudice. A very ugly loss. I like it a little better than THE CAPTAIN IS DEAD.

• Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Oh! Speaking of Sprawlopolis, the wife and I played a game of it yesterday while at an indoor playground. Having played a few times, we decided to add in the Construction Zone variant. Here were our 3 scoring modifiers and the Construction Zone card (sorry for the bad pic):

luv0hkka2vxh.jpg
      (The second card reads: 2pts/Road that passes through a Residential and Commercial district.)

So our point goal was 38. We decided early on to forgo the regular scoring and focus on the Morning Commute and Park Hopping as our primary source of points. One thing we hadn't considered until a few turns in was the size of the counter we were playing on. It was a small vertical counter so we were forced to build mostly horizontally. Here's our final city (again, sorry for the bright spot):

i57j9h02ded1.jpg

We had 19 roads?! That set us back by a ton of points to start. Fortunately though, we made up for it by having 11 Morning Commute roads and 8 Park Hopping roads. We blew the scoring out of the water even though our biggest district groups were 2 squares big.

After the game ended, we commented that the citizens of this city would hate it. We felt like city planners that took their instructions a bit too literally. :)

The variation of tactics and replayability make this a game we'll be playing for a long, long time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
      I'm still waiting on my Sprawlopolis from backing the kickstarter! I guess mine was slow because I got a bundle with some of their other games, but come on, I'm dying here!

sig.gif
    • Options
      StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
      The Dark Souls board game was 50% off on Amazon. felt like the deal was too good to not take advantage.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
      What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      edited October 2018
      The Dark Souls board game was 50% off on Amazon. felt like the deal was too good to not take advantage.

My kickstarter additions just arrived, still sealed, if you can take them off my hands. (Gaping Dragon and Darkroot)

But please figure out if you have the capacity to even enjoy DS before you make a decision.

Cantido on
      3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
      Cantido wrote: »

My kickstarter additions just arrived, still sealed, if you can take them off my hands. (Gaping Dragon and Darkroot)

But please figure out if you have the capacity to even enjoy DS before you make a decision.

I absolutely love Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne and I've only heard good things about the board game. Only downside I've seen is the $160 price tag.

How many expansions are there?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
      What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    • Options
      Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
      Oh hell yeah, my local shop is doing the prerelease for Keyforge

I’m so, so excited for that, and coming so soon after the shuttering of Netrunner

6F32U1X.png
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I'll take em if he declines!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
        https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/paul-is-moving-to-pastures-new/

Well, that’s not something I was expecting today.

persona4celestia.jpg
        COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
      • Options
        Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
        TBH I'm not massively shocked. For a while during his international travels he seemed to be taking more and more of a step back from things and I expected him to be going then. It was his more recent return to being more regularly involved that was the pleasant surprise to me.

Have you read his RPS Stardew valley piece? It rather bares his soul and doesn't paint a picture of someone incredibly happy during his time at SU&SD.

I hope he finds peace and fulfilment in wherever he is headed.

MhCw7nZ.gif
      • Options
        ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
        :sad:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      • Options
        Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
        Holy shit that stardew valley piece was really good but just brutal

I wish Paul success, he was my favorite part of susd.

• Options
        A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
        Sad to see Paul go. I remember Quinns mentioning once how unhappy Paul was in England. He seemed happier in Canada, hope he is. Wonder if he'll still show up at SHUX and guest in vids.

• Options
        CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
        I hope so too. Paul is a lovely, sweet man and a great writer. One of the best of us. Hope he still pops up in the SHUX/SU&SD community from time to time.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
      • Options
        CantidoCantido Registered User regular
        edited October 2018

I absolutely love Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne and I've only heard good things about the board game. Only downside I've seen is the $160 price tag.

How many expansions are there?

Too many. Far too many.

You may want to house-rule the inventory deck. Go on BGG and see what others have done. I sold the game to a charity for a 30% cut because it was not my cup of tea.

Cantido on
        3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
      • Options
        El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
        edited October 2018
        Sad to see Paul go. I remember Quinns mentioning once how unhappy Paul was in England. He seemed happier in Canada, hope he is. Wonder if he'll still show up at SHUX and guest in vids.

I believe he had to leave Canada. Permanent residence stuff didn't work out for him; it was in one of his blog posts earlier this year if I'm remembering correctly.

El Mucho on
        BNet: ElMucho#1392
        Origin: theRealElMucho
      • Options
        JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
        Another big question is if they don't have any Canadian presence, will SHUX still be there in the future?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      • Options
        captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
        Mr. G wrote: »
        Oh hell yeah, my local shop is doing the prerelease for Keyforge

I’m so, so excited for that, and coming so soon after the shuttering of Netrunner

I played my shop's demo and came away pretty interested. It takes away all the parts of CCGs that give me anxiety and just gets to playing the damn game. It's also something you could have at a regular board game night very easily.

• Options
        AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
        El Mucho wrote: »

I believe he had to leave Canada. Permanent residence stuff didn't work out for him; it was in one of his blog posts earlier this year if I'm remembering correctly.

It looks like (As with my brother, who had the advantage of marrying a Canadian) he's in some kind of paperwork limbo, from that post at least. Canada is unhurried about that kind of thing, it seems.

Good read, though.

This discussion has been closed.