As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Oh god, Dark Age, don't break my heart.

To be clear, @Darkewolfe's quote above is in response to the defunct 2000's heroclix war game Mechwarrior: Dark Age formerly made by Wizkids that Nips and I were talking about, and not the miniatures skirmish game Dark Age made by Cool Mini Or Not which @Extreaminatus brought up?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    I had never heard of that Heroclix game, so I brought up the only Dark Age (CMON's) I have ever known.

My b.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Every time I hear about the mech warrior dark ages game, it’s because someone is selling or giving away a sackful of the minis.

I had a friend try and get me to throw my wallet in on that game and I limbo’d the hell away from that nonsense.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    If Battletech ever puts serious work into revamping its miniature line I’m gonna be in real bad trouble.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    If Battletech ever puts serious work into revamping its miniature line I’m gonna be in real bad trouble.

Well, I got bad news buddy
    BeginnerBox-Miniatures2_w-Basecoat.jpg?x64300

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

C’est la vie!

Posting this is both the plamo and mini painting thread. Does anybody know of a good English-language magazine for scale modeling and minis that’s more focused on the sci-fi/fantasy type stuff? I saw a nice glossy in Burbank House of Hobbies detailing a custom Sazabi build and I’d love to see more stuff like that.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Shame the release date keeps on slipping

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Purple
    MW: Dark Ages is the most serious I ever took any competitive game. Even beats out my magic days.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Chugging along with the Monobelisk (realized I should have posted it in this thread in the first place).

SPjpkwZ.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What is a good material to use for pinning plastic and finecast?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I use aluminum armature wire which you should be able to get at most hobbyshops or art stores. Just get a pinvise with a drillbit the same size and clip off some wire to fit.
    You can also get copper rods sold with the proper drill bits (I think army painter has a run of them). I've known people to also use paperclips, but that seems like more work than its worth when you can just buy a spool of wire.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    I use paperclips! I can't say I ever considered it much work at all. Always seemed like it was much more effort properly drilling holes than dealing with whatever I put in them ...

Unrelated, I've almost finished cleaning my three Vancouver-class destroyers for Dropfleet Commander. Considering their size, man have I created a massive pile of resin shavings. A good reminder of why a respirator is important for this hobby. :P
    Apparently another knock on the ground fixed my phone's camera, so a snapshot of actually being back on the wagon:
    gb8k8xi74nn6.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Huh weird the Robot yesterday does do pinning and another in the series of Hey you can mod the minis now shut up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VEVD8xnrE

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    The Rod of Covenant is definitely one weapon too many. It's already hard to tell a Staff of Light and Warscythe apart, why didn't they just give them Staves of Light?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So, there are a million tutorials for how to do it out there, so I'm not asking for that. BUT IF someone had some minis (say the little ones in the forbidden stars game) and just wanted to give them a really basic wash with black or grey to make their details pop, what paint and other supplies set you up with the minimum you need? I'm not looking for the finest, just some simple, preferably cheap stuff to give em a wash. Or if washing is a stupid idea for what I want, let me know! I'm imagining it helping the little details pop like the minis that came with mechs vs minions. Bonus points if I can get it with cheap shipping or if it's common enough that I can get it at most hobby stores (I'm in Atlanta, so the board game stores are oddly far out of the middle of town, but are an option)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, there are a million tutorials for how to do it out there, so I'm not asking for that. BUT IF someone had some minis (say the little ones in the forbidden stars game) and just wanted to give them a really basic wash with black or grey to make their details pop, what paint and other supplies set you up with the minimum you need? I'm not looking for the finest, just some simple, preferably cheap stuff to give em a wash. Or if washing is a stupid idea for what I want, let me know! I'm imagining it helping the little details pop like the minis that came with mechs vs minions. Bonus points if I can get it with cheap shipping or if it's common enough that I can get it at most hobby stores (I'm in Atlanta, so the board game stores are oddly far out of the middle of town, but are an option)

https://www.amazon.com/Citadel-Shade-Paint-Games-Workshop/dp/B00KOD3FM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540480982&sr=8-1&keywords=citadel+shade+paint+set

Probably Nuln Oil from that is all you'll really need (since a black wash is perfect for what you're discussing), but the other colors might give you better options. Comes with a decent brush.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Huh weird the Robot yesterday does do pinning and another in the series of Hey you can mod the minis now shut up

This video is why I asked about pinning material and is part of what made me remember that GW does a shit job of supplying minis with all the options.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »

This video is why I asked about pinning material and is part of what made me remember that GW does a shit job of supplying minis with all the options.

When you mod the mini it quickly goes into the world of Kitbashing. So it's basically impossible to supply it with all the options

I personally don't like getting all the options for a mini as I end up with tons of spare parts I have no use for at the time or probably ever

• Options

When you mod the mini it quickly goes into the world of Kitbashing. So it's basically impossible to supply it with all the options

I personally don't like getting all the options for a mini as I end up with tons of spare parts I have no use for at the time or probably ever

I would absolutely love if their kits came with every option for the model. I hate getting a model and I can't equip it with wargear that I find more useful.

Or at least make a kit for each option. I basically just want my Overlords with the staff of light, nothing else and I can't do that without buying a different kit.

I like kitbashing at all but I don't want to be forced into it.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Seems like easy money to sell "wargear" blisters, surprised they haven't done that yet...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Seems like easy money to sell "wargear" blisters, surprised they haven't done that yet...

Especially for factions that they designed to be interchangable like de Dark Eldar range, but yeah, a character upgrade pack for each faction in the style of the Marine upgrades would be fantastic.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    WIP Biovores... going for an over-the-shoulder predator style cannon.

And leaving those dang heads off until their painted so I can get all the way into that carapace.

k53d8runu9gs.jpg
    x34pu6zoz778.jpg
    pqol86ecbqjn.jpg
    w62djimpfgfw.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Especially for factions that they designed to be interchangable like de Dark Eldar range, but yeah, a character upgrade pack for each faction in the style of the Marine upgrades would be fantastic.

Back when you could still order bits direct from GW, this was possible. Space Marine close combat sprue, tank accessories sprue, etc. Not quite the good ol' days, but an interesting time. The catalogs were good too.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Priming these Tau is taking a while. Did the second coat on all of them but the drones, drones are getting their first coat. Gonna let them dry and then do a second coat before doing some dog sitting and then tomorrow I'm gonna put on the base coats with the color shift paint.

Wish I had more time to goof off today.

Edit: really glad I did this second coat, these all look pretty good

Stragint on

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Found some Nuln Oil at a local place and picked it up. Looking forward to washing my Fire Giant this weekend!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    So I'm feeling good about the airbrush stuff. I am not feeling good about the reaper mini I bought to paint for a D&D character. Probably need another layer of yellow for the Cape but I tried to do the bottom edge of the Cape with a turquoise color and it has ruffles and I guess I didn't thin the paint enough. Oh well, good practice.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Purple
    I've got that Warhammer 40k 30th Anniversary Primaris Sergeant (picture below) and I want to paint the cord on his right shoulder a red to go with the Dark Angels paint scheme. The red progression for them is Mephiston Red, Agrax Earthshade, Wild Rider Red, Squig Orange, but I'm worried that if I use that same progression on the gun casing and the cord it'll look like they're made of the same material. How can I make the cord look fibrous or otherwise a different material while keeping it a close color?

99120101210_30Years40KVetSgt04.jpg

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My 2 cents is that it won't look weird if you paint it the same layers as their red guns. You'll get more of the earthshade because of the texture and that'll make it look distinct enough.

• Options
    Broader highlights can also distinguish it from hard edge highlights like on a gun casing. You can see that a bit in the upper left picture.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Feels like it's been forever since I've actually painted anything.

roSNlSw.jpg?1
    VfqCn7B.jpg?1
    cFPghs2.jpg?1
    R96vRIL.jpg?1

• Options
    The fire looks especiallygreat.

• Options
    Just got the pathfinders to put a base cost on with the color shift and then a gloss varnish.

I'm a little worried about the varnish, apparently it is really easy to mess up. Also feel like I went a little heavy with the base coats on some models and I also based the entire model for all of them, didn't try to avoid the gun or anything.

How much does it usually cost to pay someone to do this?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    The fire looks especiallygreat.

Thank you! I was a little worried the orange would clash/distract from the rest of the colour and debated doing blue flames instead, but I think I like it better like this.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    So I finished the base coat. It all looks pretty good except for the red goblin on the pathfinders. I really like how that one looked on the first coat but with the second it kept getting mess and there are orange streaks so I'm kind of bummed out on that.
    K5RJ91p.jpg
    tFPqzr6.jpg
    oapWqpB.jpg
    OonlwI9.jpg
    qcyfnFS.jpg
    D7K85TB.jpg
    stGrSfm.jpg
    EP2ru5U.jpg

Stragint on

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I bought the new "Getting Started with Warhammer: Age of Sigmar" magazine because I thought the mini looked cool. Inside of the how to paint section they say you can use Abaddon Black as a primer if the weather isn't good enough to spray. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Speaking of crummy weather, I got two and a half sprues spray primed and then it started raining.

• Options
    Because I had to work most of the summer and other things I really wanted to primer the weather right now is prefect for it but I need double sided tape for the stick
    Alas everyone around me sells carpet tape

• Options
    I kind of want to base some of those pathfinders again.

Is it worth it? I'm not sure why I got that neon orange stuff going on.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular

Maybe not shaken up well enough? Did yours come with or without the agitator beads? If that's the Burning Gold paint it should be a lot smoother than that.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Chrysis wrote: »

Maybe not shaken up well enough? Did yours come with or without the agitator beads? If that's the Burning Gold paint it should be a lot smoother than that.

For the pathfinders I used Goblin Red which had an agitator in it. I shook it well, not all the models came out like that, just 3 or 4.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Maybe airbrushed too close then. It looks like it's pooling.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
This discussion has been closed.