Options

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Fuck. The Lizardmen FLC lord is TikTaq'to.

Disappointment overwhelming.

Huh. I figured if we got another Skink, it would be Oxyotl as a stealth ambusher. Does feel strange to have a master of the skies for an army without a remarkable air presence.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2019
    Iblis wrote: »
    Fuck. The Lizardmen FLC lord is TikTaq'to.

Disappointment overwhelming.

Huh. I figured if we got another Skink, it would be Oxyotl as a stealth ambusher. Does feel strange to have a master of the skies for an army without a remarkable air presence.

The DLC adds Ripperdactyls, so they've got a few options now

Edit - that does mean the FLC isn't so hot without the DLC.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Oh yeah, sorry, I should have added with base game units. They're also lacking a big flying center piece unit. It's not unworkable, just feels particularly strange.

So for the moment I will assume it was so we could assemble all the dinobots (okay, the most popular three).

Iblis on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Does Lizardmen get a large flying monstrous unit?

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I am the one living person that's thrilled about this, and the threads are like delicious candy to me right now.

I am also super happy for the Dinobots trio to be complete!

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Does Lizardmen get a large flying monstrous unit?

No. They have Carnosaurs, Stegadons, Bastilodons, and with the DLC Ancient Salamanders as larger single entity dinosaurs.

• Options
    I meant in the table top

• Options
    Also no. The only big dinosaurs they are missing are Troglodons (kind of like venomous spinosaurs) and the Dread Saurian (a huge forge world model) if I'm not mistaken.

• Options
    I meant in the table top

Not as far as I remember.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Hrm

From reddit:

Grace_CA: This won't be the final DLC for WH2

In response to someone asking about so far unused lords from tabletop.

• Options
    I meant in the table top

In the 7th ed Lizardmen book (pg.16) there was a little side-blurb about Coatl, but there's never been a model or rules:

COATL - GUARDIANS OF SACRED PLACES

One of the rarest creatures to be found in Lustria is the
    Coatl. Sporting a long, sinuous, snake-like body, a dragon's
    head and massive feathered wings, the Coatl is more than
    an unlikely accident of evolution. The Coatl are highly
    intelligent, and are powerful mages. They are said to have
    the power to alter the jungle around them to draw invaders
    away from the places in which they dwell, and into the
    leech-infested swamps surrounding them.

The Coatl are said to be a manifestation of the Old One
    Tepok, and are venerated by the Skink Priests as sacred
    creatures of the air, magic and of places of power. The
    Coatl are sometimes seen as messengers of the gods,
    beseeched when a sacred site is under threat that the power
    of the Old Ones will be granted to the Lizardmen.

When the Coatl attack, they rarely leave any witnesses.
    Those few who have lived to tell the tale speak of a terrible
    force of nature that is able to call upon the ancient
    mystical power that permeates the jungle. The Coatl
    appears from the skies upon a thunderous wind, churning
    the jungle canopy and stirring the undergrowth to a frenzy.
    The skies darken and the jungle shifts, and the invaders are
    soon hopelessly disoriented, lost within a swirling
    maelstrom of magical aspect.

• Options
    Cojo MojoCojo Mojo Registered User regular
    I meant in the table top

In the 7th ed Lizardmen book (pg.16) there was a little side-blurb about Coatl, but there's never been a model or rules:

COATL - GUARDIANS OF SACRED PLACES

One of the rarest creatures to be found in Lustria is the
    Coatl. Sporting a long, sinuous, snake-like body, a dragon's
    head and massive feathered wings, the Coatl is more than
    an unlikely accident of evolution. The Coatl are highly
    intelligent, and are powerful mages. They are said to have
    the power to alter the jungle around them to draw invaders
    away from the places in which they dwell, and into the
    leech-infested swamps surrounding them.

The Coatl are said to be a manifestation of the Old One
    Tepok, and are venerated by the Skink Priests as sacred
    creatures of the air, magic and of places of power. The
    Coatl are sometimes seen as messengers of the gods,
    beseeched when a sacred site is under threat that the power
    of the Old Ones will be granted to the Lizardmen.

When the Coatl attack, they rarely leave any witnesses.
    Those few who have lived to tell the tale speak of a terrible
    force of nature that is able to call upon the ancient
    mystical power that permeates the jungle. The Coatl
    appears from the skies upon a thunderous wind, churning
    the jungle canopy and stirring the undergrowth to a frenzy.
    The skies darken and the jungle shifts, and the invaders are
    soon hopelessly disoriented, lost within a swirling
    maelstrom of magical aspect.

Funny enough, they actually did publish rules for the Coatl in an old White Dwarf, along with a dinosaur only army list. I can't find a pdf of it online and I'd have to go search for my physical copy, but here's a pretty good write up of what it could do.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Coatl_(Warhammer_Fantasy)

It was pretty much a flying monster with crappy stats that was a lord level magic user with some fantastic defensive rules tossed on top.

• Options
    I was about to laugh at those stats and then I saw the 3+ ward save.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    So apparently in ME tiqtaqto starts down below araby near sudenburg and the dorfs there. Which seems weird.

Lustria seems odd in that everyone is still scrunched up on the east side, which makes me wonder if some faction is planned there in the west. Amazons would be the only thing that makes sense though.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    they should add the bottom bend around lustria while they are at it. I'm not sure if the spine of sotek dwarfs are there but if not they should be put back in.

• Options
    Yeah, I have thought they should do that for a while. It would add a lot to diversity in the area, though that is not the problem it used to be when it was just skrolk and teclis.

• Options
    Watched the Twitch stream with Tiktaq'to earlier. An interesting detail they mentioned is that Red-Crested Skink Chiefs he recruits will start with Ripperdactyls (though it wasn't present in the current build). Which is a nice touch to encourage a heavier emphasis on Skinks without giving him a penalty like Tehenhaiun.

They also showed off Lord Kroak's skill tree. A lot of stuff you would expect (defense buffs, upgrades to Deliverance of Itza, etc) but it did reveal that his city interaction is to destroy walls, and if you upgrade it he also damage buildings and starts to kick it back levels. So that's gonna be interesting, if a bit crazy.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    They've put out a map showing Tiktaq'to's Mortal Empires start postition and he's down below the Desert of Araby, in a new two-region Province (Western Jungles).

Other changes to the ME map of note:
    • The Massif Orcal is now its own Province in Bretonnia. Probably one Orc settlement, giving Brets a new option for their opening Orc dilemma.
    • In the Empire, Talabecland and Ostermark each have a new settlement. I'm not sure what city Talabecland could be adding, but anything to break up that empty bit of map is welcome. Ostermark, excitingly, is getting one in the area that includes Mordheim. So maybe a Skaven settlement in the Old World?
    • The Jungles of Green Mists has had it's third settlement from the vortex added (Pillars of the Unseen Constellation?). Not sure why - western Lustria remains empty of LLs.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I wish the Dawi in Lustria were playable. I like the more focused Vortex map to the Mortal Empires one.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    They've put out a map showing Tiktaq'to's Mortal Empires start postition and he's down below the Desert of Araby, in a new two-region Province (Western Jungles).

Other changes to the ME map of note:
    • The Massif Orcal is now its own Province in Bretonnia. Probably one Orc settlement, giving Brets a new option for their opening Orc dilemma.
    • In the Empire, Talabecland and Ostermark each have a new settlement. I'm not sure what city Talabecland could be adding, but anything to break up that empty bit of map is welcome. Ostermark, excitingly, is getting one in the area that includes Mordheim. So maybe a Skaven settlement in the Old World?
    • The Jungles of Green Mists has had it's third settlement from the vortex added (Pillars of the Unseen Constellation?). Not sure why - western Lustria remains empty of LLs.

I feel like they are definitely planning something for west lustria. I don’t really know what exactly, but that whole area is suspiciously empty, and now they are tinkering with the settlements there...

Its on the wrong side of the continent for a big southern realms colonial settlement. Amazons maybe? I would rather have araby, but if we got araby and zons and tilea got pushed back to game three that would be fine with me.

I am guessing the empire changes are for the upcoming rework that was teased ages ago.

Also a new skaven settlement in the empire, even just an npc one, would be very welcome.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    also, if anyone else out there is playing with mods, i highly recommend the Total War Mod Manager, known as Kaedrin's Mod Manager on the steam workshop. essentially, it works like any other mod manager, and if you're like me and basically ruin the game with mods, it's a very helpful tool.

• Options
    .....isn't the western jungle on the south side of the body of water & land of dervishes? seems like they screwed up what the geography there is supposed to look like in comparison to the vortex map

• Options
    .....isn't the western jungle on the south side of the body of water & land of dervishes? seems like they screwed up what the geography there is supposed to look like in comparison to the vortex map

Yes, they definitely transposed the jungle across the gulf, probably because they didn’t want to add too much to the map.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/7HFiEV2K3l8

Interview about the design and animation of Ikit Claw. Also shows off a good look at the Warlock Master, who look pretty cool. Definitely a more unique design than what I expected.

• Options
    I tried to play this again. Tomb Kings as the Main Lord (Settra the Imparisable) and got stomped. The Savage orks had a big old Fat Stack. In these games I feel like I should always be on the offensive somewhere (it is total war after all), but maybe I should of built up more? Idk, going to try again soon.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Settra is tough! I always had trouble with his early game. You should probably be on the offensive pretty hard for at least the first few turns, until you have your first province. Careful tactics and positioning, especially against foes like Orks with low leadership, can overcome pretty significant number deficiencies.

Tomb Kings seem to be a tough row to hoe, though, y'know bro?

Sorry I don't know why I did that. I've gotten routinely dunked on playing as the TK, I dunno! Maybe my playstyle doesn't suit them well.

• Options
    TK early game is VERY hard. You can field alot of skellies onto the field at that stage, but one 20 stack vs another 20 stack early game is you getting wrecked. you need to bring a second stack in for most engagements.

Open field use of chariots is a MUST; get used to using them because they are the best unit you have early game.

• Options
    And the way TK is structured it might be a while before you can even recruit that second stack! So you gotta get that early foothold and some key alliances with nearby dead people undead powers.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Until you get a lot of constructs attrition plays a big role for tomb kings. Remember your main troops are basically free, don’t be afraid to soften the enemy up with a stack of trash before you fight them with your main army.

Also chariots are your friend.

Edit: Heroes are your friend too.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    And don't lose your starting monster/construct

In my Settra campaign I beat and wounded Arkhan in a mirror match early on, but lost the fancy starting unit in the battle and it really set me back

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    So for TK, their tech tree has a lot of starting points. Is there a breakdown some where at what each dynasty is good at?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Settra early game: push hard on the Orcs ASAP to secure your first province, and lean hard on your sphinx for killing power. Skeleton Archers are surprisingly good, especially early game, so try to have 4 in your early stacks.

You should get the opportunity to get a free Hero unit of your choice in the first few turns. Always pick Necrotect. You can use him to heal up your sphinx, plus that gives you access to the Incantation of Ptra for a bonus Necrotect to instantly convert a ruin into a level 3 city. That is a huge cost savings, and money is your biggest problem until lategame.

Never try to compete 1-1 with your enemies. Your doomstack is unlikely to survive an enemy doomstack. Your armies are free. Attack that doomstack with 3 stacks of your own!

Ambushing is your friend. It will be nearly impossible to conquer a walled settlement with a full stack in it, unless it's another TK faction. Ambush stance to trick the enemy into sending out their army against you, then kill it and siege the town the next turn.

Once you get rid of the early Orcs, focus on fighting other TK factions for a while. You'll be on even footing army-quality-wise. Ushabti and Tomb Scorpions are your midgame goals, so you want +Growth buildings everywhere. Your standard non-capital city should be City Center, Growth Building, Money Building, Barracks. Barracks is important because Tomb Guard are likely to be your army bottleneck late game, and every barracks gets you 2 regular and 1 halberd. A 4-settlement province, properly built, can provide enough unit slots for an entire TK doomstack.

After you've got a few Ushabti, put them behind your skelly line and have them charge in after the skellies engage. This will help keep them alive and dealing damage longer. Bow Ushabti should focus large and armored targets, and Scorps will dumpster infantry. I don't personally use Carrion much, but they can be good against certain factions.

EDIT: Casket of Souls is very useful if for no other reason than that it will almost always force the enemy to come to you. Catapults are trash.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Since I obtained Warham 1 and 2 fairly close to each other, I've been splitting my time between the two. Just about ready to wrap up my first (successful) Dawi campaign. Ended up engaging one of the lesser Chaos armies, and whatshisface the "Everchosen" reinforced that army, but he was turbo not prepared to have four units of Thunderers focus him as he charged. Back to your wastelands, slave of Chaos. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Turambar wrote: »

In my Settra campaign I beat and wounded Arkhan in a mirror match early on, but lost the fancy starting unit in the battle and it really set me back

Yep, this for sure. Your construct will kick the shit out of pretty much anything early game, but it's not indestructible.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Settra early game: push hard on the Orcs ASAP to secure your first province, and lean hard on your sphinx for killing power. Skeleton Archers are surprisingly good, especially early game, so try to have 4 in your early stacks.

You should get the opportunity to get a free Hero unit of your choice in the first few turns. Always pick Necrotect. You can use him to heal up your sphinx, plus that gives you access to the Incantation of Ptra for a bonus Necrotect to instantly convert a ruin into a level 3 city. That is a huge cost savings, and money is your biggest problem until lategame.

Never try to compete 1-1 with your enemies. Your doomstack is unlikely to survive an enemy doomstack. Your armies are free. Attack that doomstack with 3 stacks of your own!

Ambushing is your friend. It will be nearly impossible to conquer a walled settlement with a full stack in it, unless it's another TK faction. Ambush stance to trick the enemy into sending out their army against you, then kill it and siege the town the next turn.

Once you get rid of the early Orcs, focus on fighting other TK factions for a while. You'll be on even footing army-quality-wise. Ushabti and Tomb Scorpions are your midgame goals, so you want +Growth buildings everywhere. Your standard non-capital city should be City Center, Growth Building, Money Building, Barracks. Barracks is important because Tomb Guard are likely to be your army bottleneck late game, and every barracks gets you 2 regular and 1 halberd. A 4-settlement province, properly built, can provide enough unit slots for an entire TK doomstack.

After you've got a few Ushabti, put them behind your skelly line and have them charge in after the skellies engage. This will help keep them alive and dealing damage longer. Bow Ushabti should focus large and armored targets, and Scorps will dumpster infantry. I don't personally use Carrion much, but they can be good against certain factions.

EDIT: Casket of Souls is very useful if for no other reason than that it will almost always force the enemy to come to you. Catapults are trash.

Tomb King Catapults are on my short list of most useless units in the game. Every other unit in the TK arsenal is more useful than this thing, even a trash skeleton unit.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

this is suuuper helpful, i think i'm gonna try tk again today. maybe settra won't perish this time.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »

Yep, this for sure. Your construct will kick the shit out of pretty much anything early game, but it's not indestructible.

As a side note this is great advice for norsca too. You will notice that in addition to your starting units lots of the lords you confederate with will have a mammoth or dragon. Don’t kill them when you fight, and after that keep them alive at all costs.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    The biggest thing working against Settra is that those are Savage Orcs. They have physical resist which makes it rough as you don't have any good magic damage early outside of a casket of souls.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    The biggest thing working against Settra is that those are Savage Orcs. They have physical resist which makes it rough as you don't have any good magic damage early outside of a casket of souls.

But they're orcs and your entire army causes fear?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
This discussion has been closed.