Options

The [Anime] Strikes Back

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    This again assumes that he’s the one making the decision about the translation rather than following the wishes or policy of the license holder.

I’m not arguing that the new translation is better, only that this outpouring of vitriol is directed at the wrong person. Moreover there’s an underlying assertion that he’s pushing his own agenda/bias into his work in a marked and deliberate way beyond thankful inherent in any single voice. Here’s an article about it and the Japanese reaction:https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-06-27/japanese-fans-official-translator-weigh-in-on-netflix-evangelion-english-subtitle-debate/.148305

This guy has been working with three members of studio Khara since 1990 and with the studio itself since the first Rebuild film in 2009. If he wasn’t being faithful to their intent, I would be extremely surprised.

I don’t really have any thing else to add to that specifically. I think there’s more interesting thought to explore about localization in general, and specifically to Japan and the Japanese language, but I’m in the middle of moving right now so I think I’ll drop the topic after this.

I mean, if what you want to argue is "instead of thinking the translator is a fuckmuppet that made a bad translation, you should be thinking studio Khara are a bunch of fuckmuppets that insisted on a bad translation", then sure, I could accept that. I'd just add "new Eva" to my list of "reasons why someone needs to stand over the original creator with a wooden ruler to smack their fingers when translation is involved". It's been growing significantly, these past years.

However, this kinda implies that the only translation Khara cared about was the English one, because believe you me, a lot of other languages translated a bunch of things in very different ways. Which, again, is a posibility, but rather adds to the fuckmuppet points.

Well yeah, that was my point when I decided to look into it and ended up defending the guy.

What's the alternative here? That translator Dan suddenly decided to straight-wash the Eva series because he's "a fuckmuppet", that after 30 years of translating he decided that now was his chance? That Neflix execs thought "hmm, we like how weird Eva is, but we're not comfortable with how gay it is, oh, and also lets throw shade at our core college-campus audience with a jab at left-wing politics." I mean, did we all suddenly forget about Atomic Tofu's post?
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I'm not sure Atomic Tofu's post is the 100% truth, but it sounds pretty plausible. And Certainly Dark Primus thought so as well:
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    This sounds much more plausible than "it was rushed and they didn't have time to do localization." I knew that Khara was unhappy about the original 3.33 translation, but I didn't know that was the reason why.

Only a few pages later you were back to thinking that the translator was primarily at fault:
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You gotta "preserve the ambiguity" when translating Kwoaru's lines, but then when you've got lines where Shinji is talking to Asuka about how he needs her help you gotta make sure the line says "you're the only one for me." :rotate:

I must be missing something here. Yes, I agree the new translation isn't as good. I agree that especially Kaworu's lines should read "love" and that Shinji's line there is really hammy, but I'm not seeing deliberate fuckmuppetry here. There's something deeper, which is a fundamental misunderstanding between Japanese and American culture. Now I'm not a professional anthropologist, but I do have a degree in socio-linguistics and I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, so here's what I think happened.

American adaptations of Japanese media (anime in particular) have a long history of being severely edited to their detriment. I mean, we all love the 4kids meme's about rice-ball donuts etc. but one of the worst localizations in history was Nausicaa:

warriorswind.jpg?itok=ajPxMLT_

I'm sure most people are pretty familiar with this, but just in case, Warriors of the Wind cut 26:13 minutes from Nausicaa's run time, edited the order of scenes to make it more closely resemble the 1985 Saturday-morning cartoon adventure plotline, and made a host of other changes. It influenced Miyazaki enough that he wouldn't release any more of his movies overseas until ten years later. When localizing Princess Mononoke, Miramax attempted to edit it, but Ghibli sent them a katana with a note attached that said: "no cuts."
    "Although I did go to New York to meet this man, this Harvey Weinstein, and I was bombarded with this aggressive attack, all these demands for cuts. I defeated him."

There's a stronger connection between these events than simply the fact that they're both about anime. One of Hideaki Anno's earliest and most famous works prior to Eva was as an animator on Nausicaa. Specifically he drew and animated the God-Warrior monster (he was making a name for himself at the time as the premier horrifying monster artist). He and Miyazaki became good friends during the production, and have remained close to this day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7kotIPsy7o

So yes, when I read a story about how a Japanese work is seemingly thought ridiculed by its fans, and that includes Anno, I'm kinda inclined to believe it. There's precedent for it. It's still going on today as evidenced by the first post in this thread. The latest rumor on the Your Name remake is that it's gonna be westernized to shit. And they're going to open a whole can of worms by casting Mitsuha as a rural Native American I mean, hopefully it's a really nuanced take on that. But you could also read that as a declaration that poignant stories about melancholy and loneliness made by a Japanese author just aren't good enough to stand on their own in America, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary!

Now my point by bringing all this up isn't to just say shut up and take it. We've a right to be upset by the new translation. It's flat. It's tone-deaf. It's especially insensitive in a time when LGBTQ are under a lot of persecution. But is hurling insults at the clouds really the right way to go about this? Could we not try at least to understand the motives behind these changes before lighting our torches and sharpening our pitch-forks? Or do we play the game where we try to make the case that our side was hurt more and are more entitled to our outrage? Maybe I personally am getting a bit too involved and into the weeds about this, but then again I'm at this very moment traveling cross-country to get on a rotator to Japan where my new job will be integration between American and Japanese forces in Japan. So, you know, I do study and think about this kind of stuff constantly.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

All we need to do is not fuck this up. Simple right? Just do one job.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    We just have to not screw it up you say.

euv2onyrsv93.jpg

Side note Zombieland Saga is pretty fun and Saki is best girl.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Well, it's the gap week between seasons, so it should be a bit quieter this week, I imagine?

Also, tangentially related, I didn't know there was a new season of RWBY up on Crunchyroll. I had kept my queue on the next to last episode of the previous season, since I occasionally rewatch the best fight of the season (and arguably series):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H3-iqY8aww

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've only watched the first two episodes of zombieland saga and feel that's both enough for me and worth watching.

Also I stand by my Christmas forum opinion that "best girl" should be a banned phrase :p

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

However, this kinda implies that the only translation Khara cared about was the English one, because believe you me, a lot of other languages translated a bunch of things in very different ways. Which, again, is a posibility, but rather adds to the fuckmuppet points.
    IIRC it's been confirmed that the English translation was the only one (save for the Italian one I think?) translated from the original Japanese. The others were translated from the English translation.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    zombieland saga tricked me into watching an idol show, something i would never do normally

all because of THE LEGENDARY YAMADA TAE

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Zombie land saga was unexpectedly great.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Having watched at least 3 idol anime, the best one is Love Live Sunshine because the moral of the story is that even if you try your best and work hard, dreams don't come true.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    @italianranma
    My first quoted post was that I didn't buy the explanation for the poor reception of the new translation to be blamed on "they didn't have enough time it was a rush job." I was agreeing that whatever the faults of the new translation, they were deliberate choices and not made out of neglect/carelessness due to a tight timeframe to deliver. That's not the same as not thinking the translator was not at fault, and in fact I would not be blaming the translator if it was a rushjob, because the fault would lay on those above the translator who set unrealistic goals with insufficient manpower.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Well, it's the gap week between seasons, so it should be a bit quieter this week, I imagine?

Also, tangentially related, I didn't know there was a new season of RWBY up on Crunchyroll. I had kept my queue on the next to last episode of the previous season, since I occasionally rewatch the best fight of the season (and arguably series)

There's another season on Rooster Teeth's website too. No registration or fees necessary.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I wasn't really feeling Demon Slayer for the first 3 episodes so I put it aside. Then I went back to it and the show busted out a Nier ass soundtrack so now it's good

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Whoever the person is whose body cells at work takes place in seems be one big trouble magnet

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Whoever the person is whose body cells at work takes place in seems be one big trouble magnet

in real life your body actually is fighting off infections successfully constantly, it's only the rare times one really sneaks past or overwhelms the initial immune response that you get sick.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    I think people floated the idea that the person in Cells at Work is a kid. Makes sense given the type of things happening in the show.

Also not sure if this is too well known but it is getting a season 2.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    /
    Whippy wrote: »
    for combat

But like its not even a beam knife.

Well yeah, Zeon only barely got MS sized beam weaponry ready before the one year war was over.

Now the Gouf Custom's sword is a Heat Sword, where heat from the engine is sent to the weapon to make it super hot, but Noris never used his activated for some reason.

Also the Gundam Ground types were Gudams in name only really. They were essentially just GMs with gundam parts bolted on to improve performance somewhat. Even the customized Ez-8's big improvement is just thicker armor.

I just love the rebuilt chest ez-8 so much. Its still one of my all time favorites

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I just finished my rewatch of Evangelion (aside from EoE) and now I’m one of those people who think the last two episodes are good, actually. The buildup with the music towards the last shot is so great!

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    I think people floated the idea that the person in Cells at Work is a kid. Makes sense given the type of things happening in the show.

Makes sense. There's a Cells at Work: Black (or something) that takes place in the body of an adult smoker.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

I think the best part about this poster is that they did include the actual main character, but she's shoved off into the top-right corner and made extremely tiny to the point of not having a face. Gotta make room for Gun Dude and the big monster.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I think the best part about this poster is that they did include the actual main character, but she's shoved off into the top-right corner and made extremely tiny to the point of not having a face. Gotta make room for Gun Dude and the big monster.

It's like, did no one in that office stop wonder what audiences would think when none of those three in the center ever show up on film? What did that meeting sound like?

"And put in one of those winged horses, that way we can appeal to the My Little Pony market! Maybe we can sell some toys too. What should we call them... Flying horses? Too plain. Horse-flies! No wait... Hmmm. Something that sounds like ponies maybe? I got it, Ponisoars!"

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

in real life your body actually is fighting off infections successfully constantly, it's only the rare times one really sneaks past or overwhelms the initial immune response that you get sick.

They get heatstroke bad enough to need an IV drip, and then lose enough blood to need a transfusion, all within the lifespan of a single red cell!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I just finished my rewatch of Evangelion (aside from EoE) and now I’m one of those people who think the last two episodes are good, actually. The buildup with the music towards the last shot is so great!

zvg23s1locv1.png

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Thats very dark considering one of late villians

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    your body is constantly inadvertently creating cancer cells throughout your entire life just 99.9% of the time, like is the case in the show, it actually doesn't become a big deal.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

zvg23s1locv1.png

All is very good

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Demon Slayer episode this week:
    Zenitsu wasn't terrible! In fact, he moved all the way to great!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    再会 / はるまきごはんVocal ver. アニメMV
    Saikai (Reunion) / Harumaki Gohan AMV
    https://youtu.be/U0bTlwXLUmM
    Duration: 4:07

Alternate version from the other character's side sung by Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid) on nicocnico
    https://sp.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm35330510

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Translating the script from a text file without looking at the accompanying animation? I don't know how localization work goes but that doesn't sound crazy

• Options

Translating the script from a text file without looking at the accompanying animation? I don't know how localization work goes but that doesn't sound crazy

having no one involved actually watch the show sounds like incompetence to me

Steam ID
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Why are all these comparisons done with the assumption that they're looking at the old translation at all

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    but that's nothing to do with the old translation

it's on the screen, and it's a quote

Steam ID
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Okay but is that how the japanese line is written, or was that a flourish of the old english translation?

People keep saying they changed it from X to Y but really X and Y are both being separately derived from Z

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Okay but is that how the japanese line is written, or was that a flourish of the old english translation?

People keep saying they changed it from X to Y but really X and Y are both being separately derived from Z

If they translated the door to the new line as well, that would still be stupid (because this is a quote and the wording should not actually be changed), but they did it differently. It's just a bad job.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    it is perhaps unsurprising that you can make an unlikable character likable my just putting them opposed to a far less likable character.

• Options
    mgofb4H.jpg

Steam ID
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    it is perhaps unsurprising that you can make an unlikable character likable my just putting them opposed to a far less likable character.

You dissing lord inosuke?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

What if it's the show's creator

This discussion has been closed.