As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

operation prank Grey Ghost is complete in the [TV] thread

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    watching Warrior
    "this anti-asian racism must stop! anyway, time to do some kung fu organised crime, as we are known to do"

so far it seems fine but completely unremarkable

The concept for the show came from Bruce Lee himself.
    The show was developed by his daughter using his notes after he died.

godmode on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Enter the Florpus is good. Not great but I think it got the level of Vasquez brand darkness just right.

The level being to high is the kid with the eyes if you need a point of reference

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think it’s impressive how Vasquez hasn’t missed a beat and the show hasn’t changed a bit after all these years

I also think that I maybe outgrew Zim at some point, as I found my attention wandering and I didn’t really laugh. Which is a little sad to realize, as it was a pretty big part of my adolescence

It’s still really impressive to look at, the colors on that show have always been fantastic

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Gir and Professor Membrane had a lot of good moments. I think it was more interested in telling a story and adressing issues the old show had like Membrane's treatment of Dib

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I figure most of you were already planning a trip to sunny Ardmore, Oklahoma (Scenic Gateway To Thackerville!)

If the only thing making you hesitate was the lack of a Golden Girls-themed Airbnb built on the property of Rue McClanahan's childhood home, I have good news!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I forgot how god damn good the colors were in Invader Zim

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I haven't revisited it in a long time, but I wonder if Invader Zim is in that Nightmare Before Christmas zone of "is actually good, but the Hot Topic-ification of it makes you hate it"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    As someone who had the hardcover of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Squee as a early teen I don’t think I have an unbiased answer for you

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I could probably rewatch it and still enjoy most of it. Theres definitely stuff I don't really think has aged well though

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I haven't revisited it in a long time, but I wonder if Invader Zim is in that Nightmare Before Christmas zone of "is actually good, but the Hot Topic-ification of it makes you hate it"

This has been my stance for years, that it was actually good and people were being hard on the show because of its fans and merchandising but after watching the special, I’m honestly a bit disillusioned.

Maybe a second viewing would change my mind, but I also think I’m just too different a person than I was at fourteen

I watched the Rocko special this morning and had a better impression of it, but I also went in with low expectations (I thought the trailer looked horrid). But the humor was still in that zone of “stuff I used to find funny and I don’t know why it doesn’t click for me anymore”

But the artistry in Zim was always top-notch. It’s a well-made show

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    the rocko special is dreadful anytime it's not about rachel bighead, which just blows me away at how well done it was

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I wanna say Zim was one of the first cartoons where I started to recognize intentions on style and what not. Also definitely one of the early “I need to find out who made this” things.

If I recall the Hot Topic deluge was after the show was cancelled wasn’t it? I seem to remember Vasquez being rather agitated by it? But memory is fickle

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    the rocko special is dreadful anytime it's not about rachel bighead, which was just blows me away at how well done it was

Everything but Rocko was great. There wasn't enough Heffer or Philburt. Rocko has to be wildly out of character for the plot to work

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Zim was fine on rewatch (some episodes held up better than others, obviously), but I found his voice a lot more grating as an adult.

• Options
    watched the scooby doo/urkel episode:

- they hit all of steve's greatest hits, save for his abusive parents
    - it's some quality urkelling
    - there is a very obvious myra analogue in a major role
    - jaleel white's speaking voice is weird, but he hits all the weirdo sounds urkel made like it was yesterday

this is some goodass urkel content, but you can absolutely tell they had no access to any other bits of family matters lore, which is a shame.

hopefully we get a sequel with 3J

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    No Stefan Urquel, huh?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Wait, this NOS4A2 show is not only not about a vampire car, but it has no actual vampires in it at all?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Wait, this NOS4A2 show is not only not about a vampire car, but it has no actual vampires in it at all?

what

• Options
    why would anyone watch it then?????

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    This is my show ABOUT DRACULA

no it doesn’t have draculas why do you ask

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Does it have a dragula at least

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    when is the dragula gonna fight a maximum overdrive

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It’s a different kind of vampire, I think

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Is it one of those bullshit emotional vampires

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The Dragula has extraordinary trunk space, enough for three whole adult human corpses or six if theyre disassembled

• Options
    No

Well, kind of
    it’s youth/innocence iirc

• Options

More of a psychic vampire, you know that Stephen King shit and yes I know it was his son who wrote that and if Mr. Hill resents that sort of slip up he shouldnt have written a book about a magic old evil pervert in a magic old evil car and kids with mind powers

• Options
    ah yes

the golden years of carrie and christine

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Also I believe there are at least two newer King books that concern themselves with a traveling caravan of psychic vampires in RVs I certainly assume they are vexed by children with mind powers

• Options
    Oh, my god. GLOW. No.
    "You, uh...know my name's not actually 'Tex,' right?"

GLOW, no.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Does it have a dragula at least

Dragula season 3 doesn't start until August 27th

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Hey, don't insult Colin Robinson like that!

• Options
    I really liked NOS4A2 the book!

• Options
    Was there a vampire in the book?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Oh I like Joe Hill quote a lot but that fuckin apple fell like straight down then rolled back towards the trunk

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Filming starts next month for Love, Simon, a Disney+ series adaptation of the film based on the book. Entirely new cast aside from Nick Robinson (the star of the film), who is back as a narrator and working behind the scenes as producer
    Variety wrote:
    The upcoming series adaptation of the film “Love, Simon” has found its lead.

Michael Cimino has been cast as Victor in the Disney Plus series. Victor is a new student at Creekwood High School on his own journey of self-discovery, facing challenges at home, adjusting to a new city, and struggling with his sexual orientation. When it all seems too much, he reaches out to Simon to help him navigate the ups and downs of high school.

Cimino joins previously announced cast member Ana Ortiz, who will play Victor’s mother Isabel. Nick Robinson, who starred in the film, will narrate the half-hour series in addition to serving as producer.

The cast will also include: James Martinez as Armando, Victor’s regular blue collar “guy’s guy” father who loves his family deeply and works hard for his family; Isabella Ferreira as Pilar, Victor’s sullen younger sister in the throws of teenage angst; Mateo Fernandez will make his acting debut as Adrian, Victor’s adorable, good-natured little brother; Johnny Sequoyah as Mia, Victor’s whip-smart friend with a quick wit and easy laugh; Bebe Wood as Lake, Mia’s quirky and social media-obsessed best friend; George Sear as Benji, Victor’s confident and charming classmate; Anthony Turpel as Felix, Victor’s lanky, awkward new neighbor; and Mason Gooding as Andrew, Creekwood’s cocky and popular basketball-loving jock.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Sleep wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Well, I guess I have to craft up a list of 60 Friends episodes for me to watch so I can win $1000.

I'd like to see that list.

Alright, here it is.
    #1. -- The Pilot [S1.E1]
    #2. -- The One With All the Poker [S1.E18]
    #3. -- The One With Five Steaks And An Eggplant [S2.E5]
    #4. -- The One With The Prom Video [S2.E14]
    #5. -- The One Where No One Is Ready [S3.E2]
    #6. -- The One With The Flashbacks [S3.E6]
    #7. -- The One With The Football [S3.E9]
    #8. -- The One Where Ross & Rachel Take A Break [S3.E15]
    #9. -- The One With The Morning After [S3.E16]
    #10. -- The One At The Beach House [S3.E25]
    #11. -- The One With The Jellyfish [S4.E1]
    #12. -- The One With Joey’s New Girlfriend [S4.E5]
    #13. -- The One With The Dirty Girl [S4.E6]
    #14. -- The One Where Chandler Crosses The Line [S4.E7]
    #15. -- The One With Chandler In The Box [S4.E8]
    #16. -- The One With The Embryos [S4.E12]
    #17. -- The One With Ross’ Wedding Part #1 [S4.E23]
    #18. -- The One With Ross’ Wedding Part #2 [S4.E24]
    #19. -- The One With All The Thanksgivings [S5.E8]
    #20. -- The One With Ross’ Sandwich [S5.E9]
    #21. -- The One With All The Resolutions [S5.E11]
    #22. -- The One Where Everybody Finds Out [S5.E14]
    #23. -- The One With The Girl Who Hits Joey [S5.E15]
    #24. -- The One Where Ross Can’t Flirt [S5.E19]
    #25. -- The One With The Ball [S5.E21]
    #26. -- The One With Joey’s Big Break [S5.E.22]
    #27. -- The One In Vegas Part #1 [S5.E23]
    #28. -- The One in Vegas Part #2 [S5.E24]
    #29. -- The One After Vegas [S6.E1]
    #30. -- The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel [S6.E2]
    #31. -- The One Where Phoebe Runs [S6.E7]
    #32. -- The One With Ross’ Teeth [S6.E8]
    #33. -- The One Where Ross Got High [S6.E9]
    #34. -- The One With The Routine [S6.E10]
    #35. -- The One With Unagi [S6.E18]
    #36. -- The One With The Proposal Part #1 [S6.E24]
    #37. -- The One With The Proposal Part #2 [S6.E25]
    #38. -- The One With The Nap [S7.E6]
    #39. -- The One With Ross’ Library Book [S7.E7]
    #40. -- The One With The Holiday Armadillo [S7.E10]
    #41. -- The One With All the Cheesecakes [S7.E11]
    #42. -- The One Where They All Turn Thirty [S7.E14]
    #43. -- The One With Joey’s New Brain [S7.E15]
    #44. -- The One With Ross & Monica’s Cousin [S7.E19]
    #45. -- The One With Monica & Chandler’s Wedding Part #1 [S7.E23]
    #46. -- The One With Monica & Chandler’s Wedding Part #2 [S7.E24]
    #47. -- The One With The Videotape [S8.E4]
    #48. -- The One With The Halloween Party [S8.E6]
    #49. -- The One Where Joey Dates Rachel [S8.E12]
    #50. -- The One Where Joey Tells Rachel [S8.E16]
    #51. -- The One Where No One Proposes [S9.E1]
    #52. -- The One With Phoebe’s Birthday Dinner [S9.E5]
    #53. -- The One With The Memorial Service [S9.17]
    #54. -- The One in Barbados Part #1 [S9.E23]
    #55. -- The One In Barbados Part #2 [S9.E24]
    #56. -- The One After Joey & Rachel Kiss [S10.E1]
    #57. -- The One Where Ross Is Fine [S10.E2]
    #58. -- The One With Ross’ Tan [S10.E3]
    #59. -- The Last One Part #1 [S10.E17]
    #60. -- The Last One Part #2 [S10.E18]

Mind you I would never win such a contest because I am not active enough on Twitter, but I'd certainly enjoy doing it.

Some take-aways from that experience...

Seasonal breakdown:
    Season 1: 2 episodes
    Season 2: 2 episodes
    Season 3: 6 episodes
    Season 4: 8 episodes
    Season 5: 10 episodes
    Season 6: 9 episodes
    Season 7: 9 episodes
    Season 8: 4 episodes
    Season 9: 5 episodes
    Season 10: 5 episodes

So, the series definitely is at its strongest midway into it.

In addition, I'd say that Ross Geller easily has the best ratio of stand-alone episodes, while Monica & Chandler have the best mini-arc during season five when they are hiding their romance, and Joey has the best character development over the entire series.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I agree with pretty much that entire list.

God the poker episode is so good.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much that entire list.

God the poker episode is so good.

It's based on the actual poker games the cast would play to better know eachother and build chemistry.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    What's the worst episode of Friends, is there like a secret episode where someone was killed off camera by falling lighting and it never aired

This discussion has been closed.