As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Syzygy wrote: »
    Noice, thanks matey!

EDIT: Samsung Odyssey seems to be my best bet right now since the Vive's just aren't worth it compared to the Index (if I could even place a back order one one... sigh) Are knuckle controllers compatible with the Odyssey? ANy way to find out what hardware is compatible with which headset?

The controllers have been covered above -- you can set up the Index controllers and base stations with other headsets, since they work independently of the headset. But you can leave that until the Index controllers are available.

A Samsung Odyssey+ is currently $315 on Amazon, which is a decent price. Make sure you're buying the Odyssey+ and not the older Odyssey. I do think this is the best plan if Oculus products are out of consideration (the Rift S would be my normal recommendation in the current market, by quite a bit).
    The Vive Pro has always been hilariously overpriced and is even more so now.

UploadVR says HTC actually dropped the price by $200 today, so it's $600 now. Still a poorer value than the Odyssey+ after adding base stations and Vive wands.

That is so HTC it hurts. At launch $600 would have been a somewhat reasonable price, and now after two years they've generously dropped their price to $100 more than their most expensive competitor that is a better experience in every fathomable way, barring spending $360 more for a wireless adapter and an adapter to make the wireless adapter work.

I'd probably buy a Vive Pro today if it was $450. But charging more than an Index is laughable.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah, it totally has a very valid niche as the best PC-based headset with wireless support. They've just been zany with their pricing since launch -- it's pretty obvious they're fine with dominating the Asian market and having their Western operations be overpriced and super niche. The OG Vive was actually competitively priced at launch ($200 more than Rift when Rift had no motion controllers and wouldn't for 6 more months), but they haven't had anything that has been since.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Yeah, it totally has a very valid niche as the best PC-based headset with wireless support. They've just been zany with their pricing since launch -- it's pretty obvious they're fine with dominating the Asian market and having their Western operations be overpriced and super niche. The OG Vive was actually competitively priced at launch ($200 more than Rift when Rift had no motion controllers and wouldn't for 6 more months), but they haven't had anything that has been since.

I was comfortable paying a little more for the Vive even in the touch controller era, because I just couldn't accommodate the logistics of USB cables all over my living room. But that isn't really an issue with the competition anymore!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    I know there are VR arcades out there and I was sold on getting a headset by going to a PSVR demonstration and tried out a Rift S before buying it off a buddy.

Even so, sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, there are actually several in my nearest metropolitan area according to Google. @azith28 see if anything comes up for you here: https://uploadvr.com/website-helps-find-closest-vr-arcade/

Yeah I actually found one nearby thanks! they use vive, which ive already tried but it will be a good testing ground when i get my new glasses.

BAH. I went to the vr place i found out about, and it turned out to only have a handful of games all geared for children. I really wanted to play The Lab some more.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Has anyone here played Half-Life 2 in VR via Garry's Mod? If so, how complicated is it to set up? I'd be quite keen to try out the beginning at least.

Also, I'm finding myself more than a little underwhelmed with the recentish Doctor Who VR game. Nice environments, but other than that it's average at best. I haven't yet encountered the familiar enemies, though; I may change my tune after running into the Weeping Angels.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Not too long ago the topic of 3D 360 videos came up, and it reminded me I hadn't watched any new ones in quite a while. I decided to search youtube and it was surprisingly hard to find a playlist of only 360 3D videos -- there are tons of 360 video playlists, and "VR 360 video" playlists, but they're overwhelmingly 2D with the occasional 3D one sprinkled in, and youtube makes it pretty hard to make out which is which without clicking every single one and checking.

So I decided to stop being lazy and make my own. Since a few others had expressed interest, I wanted to share the link:

360 3D Video Playlist

It's a mix of 50+ videos from me being bored and searching through what was out there. There's a lot of pretty nature stuff, because of course there is. But there's also anything else I could find of a decent quality that seemed interesting -- skydiving, an NFL game, the Dark Portal in WoW to name a few.

The youtube VR app in Steam seems to do the job well enough. The interface is pretty blah but it does work!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Nice! Added that to my YouTube library to poke around later. Thanks for that

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    @Fiatil nice list!

https://youtu.be/hUpkVa4UkMg

Don’t forget to add this one:

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzYf3bGmyFU&list=WL&index=32&t=1590s

Found this video. its pretty recent, pretty good for the OP. He goes over the advantages/disadvantages of practically every VR headset available as of November.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Y'all just want to keep me busy with the OP instead of actually playing VR.

Fookin' rude.

:heartbeat:

Karoz on
  • Options
    Well I didnt win the headset, so why should you have all the fun! :)

• Options
    Suds wrote: »
    @Fiatil nice list!

https://youtu.be/hUpkVa4UkMg

Don’t forget to add this one:

It has been added! If anyone else has any cool stuff feel free to let me know and I'll toss it on there. The only stuff I've actively avoided adding so far is low quality/blocky computer generated stuff, as I think most of us are past being amazed at 3D VR untextured block houses. But if it looks pretty or does something unique I'm probably interested.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i dreamed the valve index was released in australia last night

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Jesus....

This is awesome news! Keep selling out those head sets!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I was thinking that HL: Alyx was going to get delayed just due to general Valve time shenanigans. Now I'm wondering if it wouldn't behoove Valve to delay it to try and get more headsets out there before it launches.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm still amazed that the HL:Alyx announcement moved so many Indexes. Unless their inventory was much smaller than I expected.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm still amazed that the HL:Alyx announcement moved so many Indexes. Unless their inventory was much smaller than I expected.

Probably a bit of both.

• Options
    Alright, OP edited.

Still not many new game recommendations made especially for WMR though I'm guilty of that myself.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I just realised I've now done for PSVR what I did when I first bought a PS4 - buy a heap of games even though I don't know when I'm going to get to play them.

So far I have:
    Astrobot (up to world 4 I think?)
    VR Worlds (gave most things a bit of a go)
    Skyrim (not starting til I get a bit more used to VR)
    RE7 (need to buy brown pants first)
    Everybody's Golf (haven't started yet)
    Moss (my wife has played an hour or so - this one was more for her)
    Beat Saber (started on the campaign and have played a few random songs)
    Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (haven't played yet)

and yesterday I bought Blood and Truth because it was on sale and the demo was fun.

I've had a go at most of the demos on the 3 downloadable discs as well as grabbed a lot of other free stuff that honestly probably would have kept me busy enough for a while on it's own.

Edit: Forgot about DOOM VFR (not booted up yet), and also had VR modes in a bunch of other games I already had like Wipeout and GT Sport I'm still to try.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I too have far too many VR games that I haven't even tried booting up yet.

I really hope I can get my sporadic disconnects fixed for coop but I still have a wealth of singleplayer games to enjoy that I have not yet.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I've way too many VR games. I also did that Playstation thing recently to show how many hours I'd put in to my PS4. 2018 would have been my year of PSVR I think (I demolished so many games) but last year I'd moved to the Quest.

As a knock on effect I've put 48 hours in to games on the PS4 over the entire of 2020. If they did a similar thing for the Quest then I dread to think how high that number would be (and how much of it would be attributed to Beat Saber....).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Hmm, there's been a new song added to the Pistol Whip soundtrack on Spotify. I wonder if that means they're adding a new stage!

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular

I'm really confused how the Index is available in countries such as Slovenia and Hungary, but it (and any other Steam hardware) has not ever been available for purchase in Mexico. We're like, right next door.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I'm really confused how the Index is available in countries such as Slovenia and Hungary, but it (and any other Steam hardware) has not ever been available for purchase in Mexico. We're like, right next door.

Slovenia and Hungary would probably be part of a blanket CE Mark approval for the whole EU, which is likely to be a high priority market.

• Options
    I haven't gotten around to watching every video on my playlist in VR (I skimmed through all of them on my monitor to make sure they were at least not terrible and saved them for later), but oh man this one is incredible.

It's of a very very high quality that will make you question why other 3D videos aren't quite so awesome looking, and is one of the best VR experiences I've had period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFVtVYfU90&list=PLZGWkrxpzDo0B8F6fTblRnMlJiLZOnncd&index=23&t=0s

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Man this Samsung Odyssey is... actually REALLY good.

Although they said it was wireless, I am only now thinking they mean the controllers were wireless, not the headset itself. Shame, since I was thinking it was a headset where my legs DIDN'T get wrapped up in a cord. Also, are there VR cord extensions out there? This ones cord feels a bit cheap, or they assumed everyone keeps their PC mounted on their desks instead of the floor like I do. But this thing is rock solid and I can even work my glasses in them with a bit of finagling. My lenses will be fogged to hell and sweat streaked if I go too long or get too much of a workout but that's why I use my crappy backup lenses for this.

Now I just need good shit to play. Any recommendations? Someone said Gorn was a fun one and it looks ludicrously goofy in it's ultra-violence.

EDIT: Oh boy and here we go with the technical issues. I don't get it, this thing worked fine when I first plugged it in and used it, and now Windows Mixed Reality keeps saying "Headset not detected, check connections and try again Error 1-4".

I've tried every since USB 3.0 port, I've tried restarting my computer with the headset both plugged in and not plugged in, I've updated windows to the latest version along with all my graphics and hardware drivers...

WTF is this shit? Why can't I just have something nice for once and not have bullshit break for no god damn reason? Anyone here run in to this or maybe have an inkling as to what's going on?

Syzygy on
  • Options
    Man this Samsung Odyssey is... actually REALLY good.

Although they said it was wireless, I am only now thinking they mean the controllers were wireless, not the headset itself. Shame, since I was thinking it was a headset where my legs DIDN'T get wrapped up in a cord. Also, are there VR cord extensions out there? This ones cord feels a bit cheap, or they assumed everyone keeps their PC mounted on their desks instead of the floor like I do. But this thing is rock solid and I can even work my glasses in them with a bit of finagling. My lenses will be fogged to hell and sweat streaked if I go too long or get too much of a workout but that's why I use my crappy backup lenses for this.

Now I just need good shit to play. Any recommendations? Someone said Gorn was a fun one and it looks ludicrously goofy in it's ultra-violence.
    Usual top recommendations include Beat Saber, Super Hot, and Moss. Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes requires more of a party to play, but it's also super solid.

You can get Rec Room for free, and Orbus VR (the MMO) has a free trial too. Google Earth and YouTube VR aren't games, but they're free and great. Google Earth in particular is low key life changing.

Lately, I've been really enjoying Pavlov VR with @The Sneak!, and In Death is the best archery experience in VR, IMO. Star Trek Bridge Crew appeals to very specific people, and I'm one of them, and I love it with PA friends. I've heard great things about Skyrim VR and Senua's Sacrifice, but I haven't tried them personally.

Add me on Steam or hit up our VR Discord if you want to do any group VR. https://discord.gg/sJUXv2

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Wireless headsets are a big technical hurdle, unfortunately. It takes massive bandwidth and they can't make much use of compression since latency is so critical. The Vive Headsets are currently the only ones with wireless options, and the kit costs $300 and can have issues.

I'm sorry to hear you're having tech issues now, unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Odyssey. It's a bit of a longshot, but it did help when my Vive gave me intermittent issues - you might try updating your USB drivers. Or at least make sure you have audio working and check if the USB connection sound plays when you plug it in - that could help narrow it down.

Bremen on
  • Options
    Senua's Sacrifice is sort of a hybrid since it lets you play while looking around but is best played on a standard controller and the cutscenes go to letterbox forced view.

Still a trippy experience that is enhanced by VR IMO.

• Options
    EDIT: Oh boy and here we go with the technical issues. I don't get it, this thing worked fine when I first plugged it in and used it, and now Windows Mixed Reality keeps saying "Headset not detected, check connections and try again Error 1-4".

I've tried every since USB 3.0 port, I've tried restarting my computer with the headset both plugged in and not plugged in, I've updated windows to the latest version along with all my graphics and hardware drivers...

WTF is this shit? Why can't I just have something nice for once and not have bullshit break for no god damn reason? Anyone here run in to this or maybe have an inkling as to what's going on?

Does the Odyssey show up in your displays in device manager? Are you plugged in HDMI directly? Are you using an adapter to DP or micro HDMI?

• Options
    edited January 2020

Does the Odyssey show up in your displays in device manager? Are you plugged in HDMI directly? Are you using an adapter to DP or micro HDMI?

Currently it's plugged in without an adapter, but I've tried it with both and it doesn't like the adapter for some reason. When I was initially trying to install the software for it I was using the adapter and I was also getting the 1-4 error, switched my monitor to the adapter and tried plugging it straight in to my 2070 super and that sorted it out and let me use it for the first hour. Came back and now it's back to the 1-4 error.

Another funny thing I just noticed while troubleshooting, the latest drivers that I installed earlier today for my GPU through the geforce experience suddenly... weren't installed any more? They were listed with the "Express install/custom install" buttons as if I hadn't installed them. Are VR headsets known to fuck with drivers like this? This has never happened with this card since I got it.

EDIT: Ok, can now confirm that plugging the headset USB in is actually immediately, with no fanfare or warning/error messages, deleting or disabling my graphics drivers!

I just reinstalled the drivers again, and literally the second WMR booted my screen resolution switched from it's native 2560x1440 to 1980x1020 and I got th e1-4 error again, and then when I go to check the geforce experience, it's asking me to install the drivers again.

What.

The.

Fuck.

How is this even POSSIBLE? Someone, somewhere colossally fucked up and while it's kind of amusing it's also irritating as hell. I hesitate to ask but... Any o' you people know what in the sam hell is happening to make the mere act of plugging a device in delete my graphics drivers?

EDIT2: Just check my uninstallation list and the latest drivers ARE installed, but my computer is behaving as if they aren't? Man this is some grade A BS right now, things either are or they are not, especially in computer-speak, why's my rig gotta play tiddlywinks with me right now?

Syzygy on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    That is bizarre. I don’t know, sorry. Try googling it?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    Wireless headsets are a big technical hurdle, unfortunately. It takes massive bandwidth and they can't make much use of compression since latency is so critical. The Vive Headsets are currently the only ones with wireless options, and the kit costs $300 and can have issues.

The Quest can DO wireless unofficially but latency is an issue for some (me included, but plenty of people get on just fine with it).

There has been talk of an official wireless solution down the line though.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    That is bizarre. I don’t know, sorry. Try googling it?

*shrug* it's beyond the limits of my experience or knowledge. I'm just going to try a fresh install of everything VR related and see what happens.

• Options
    Check your event log? Maybe the driver is crashing and that's why GeForce experience doesn't detect it

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular

Currently it's plugged in without an adapter, but I've tried it with both and it doesn't like the adapter for some reason. When I was initially trying to install the software for it I was using the adapter and I was also getting the 1-4 error, switched my monitor to the adapter and tried plugging it straight in to my 2070 super and that sorted it out and let me use it for the first hour. Came back and now it's back to the 1-4 error.

Another funny thing I just noticed while troubleshooting, the latest drivers that I installed earlier today for my GPU through the geforce experience suddenly... weren't installed any more? They were listed with the "Express install/custom install" buttons as if I hadn't installed them. Are VR headsets known to fuck with drivers like this? This has never happened with this card since I got it.

EDIT: Ok, can now confirm that plugging the headset USB in is actually immediately, with no fanfare or warning/error messages, deleting or disabling my graphics drivers!

I just reinstalled the drivers again, and literally the second WMR booted my screen resolution switched from it's native 2560x1440 to 1980x1020 and I got th e1-4 error again, and then when I go to check the geforce experience, it's asking me to install the drivers again.

What.

The.

Fuck.

How is this even POSSIBLE? Someone, somewhere colossally fucked up and while it's kind of amusing it's also irritating as hell. I hesitate to ask but... Any o' you people know what in the sam hell is happening to make the mere act of plugging a device in delete my graphics drivers?

EDIT2: Just check my uninstallation list and the latest drivers ARE installed, but my computer is behaving as if they aren't? Man this is some grade A BS right now, things either are or they are not, especially in computer-speak, why's my rig gotta play tiddlywinks with me right now?

I've heard of integrated GPUs confusing the MWR software and funky stuff happens when it tries to sort out display outputs. Do you have integrated graphics on your CPU? If so, try disabling that in the BIOS.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Karoz wrote: »
    Alright, OP edited.

Still not many new game recommendations made especially for WMR though I'm guilty of that myself.
    So how new is "new" for this spreadsheet? I'm asking so I know what I should or should not add to the list.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

What.

The.

Fuck.

That is extremely unusual. Out of laziness, I have done the (technically unwise) thing and left my "first generation" Odyssey plugged into my GTX 1080 Ti on a permanent basis (so, DP to my monitor, HDMI 1 to my Samsung Q70, and HDMI 2 to the headset). Also because I sometimes use it as a microphone for voice commands while it sits under my desk. But mostly laziness.

A pretty consistent trait is that Nvidia driver updates will bring up the Windows Mixed Reality portal, whereas restarting the PC (usually) doesn't, even if the headset is sitting inactive, because the driver update "refreshes" the device. So you close the software and move on.

It sounds like, unfortunately, you have an old fashion GPU driver-fuck-up. The kind the PC Master Race swears never happens anymore, but we all know they do, every so often. Do you have an onboard video option for your motherboard? Even if you don't, could you uninstall/firmly scrub your GPU drivers (and the Nvidia software for good measure), re-seat the GPU (a hassle, I know), let Windows 10 install its own drivers, test the headset under that, and then reinstall the latest Nvidia update? I mentioned the onboard graphics because it might be useful to boot up into Windows using that option however briefly.

This is by no means a guaranteed solution. It's just basic "last resort" troubleshooting for AMD and Nvidia GPUs going back forever, especially back during AMD's run of really bad drivers. We still get those every so often, one thing or another conflicting with it.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.