As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[movie] thread: slam in the back of my jackula

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

Lastly, KNIVES OUT is a mother fucking movie that I am probably about to watch again right now. I am so angry at myself for not seeing this in a theater. Holy shit, KNIVES OUT. 6/5

*removes gloves*

gurl this gon'ta get messy

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Knives Out is the best movie of last year*

Still need to see Parasite

• Options
    Knives Out was boring, funny as a carpet stain and completely destroyed the atmosphere it was trying to make. The talent on board was horribly wasted and it was a textbook case about how not to do a murder mystery.

• Options
    It was actually really good!

Betcha didn't think of that

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I didn't!

*except for the Nazi child masturbating line, I could watch that forever on a loop

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Knives Out isn't actually a murder mystery

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I haven't seen it so I have no opinion other than I'm fairly certain I'm going to love it.

That being said.. I think that is the first negative comment I've read about Knives Out.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

They should maybe stop advertising it as one then.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I understand that it wasn't the movie you wanted it to be. And I'm sorry you didn't find it entertaining on its own merits

...that's all I got for you I guess but it's sincere

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Knives Out was a fantastic movie that knew exactly what it wanted to do and did it very well, with an amazing cast, and ended up giving a big old boost to the entire Murder Mystery genre, which has long been nothing so much as a way for Serious Actors to Act Seriously, while secretly smelling their own farts, albeit in a Serious Manner. Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express, I am talking about you, yes.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

There are elements that are revealed similar to a whodunnit, but yeah, it is a character drama wearing murder mystery clothing, and if your measure of the movie is “how good of a murder mystery is this”, then your result is gonna be skewed because it was never a murder mystery and not trying to be one.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    sarukun wrote: »

There are elements that are revealed similar to a whodunnit, but yeah, it is a character drama wearing murder mystery clothing, and if your measure of the movie is “how good of a murder mystery is this”, then your result is gonna be skewed because it was never a murder mystery and not trying to be one.

And yet people on this page are calling it exactly that and every review I read called it a murder mystery or a whodunnit or a new Agatha Christie. You can google hundreds of places calling it that. It was ABSOLUTELY trying to be one.

I was not wrong to expect that going into it. Arguing that it is not that and I shouldn't have WANTED that is ridiculous quite frankly.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    I feel like a feature of the murder mystery story is "this isn't really about the murder," though

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Magic Pink wrote: »

And yet people on this page are calling it exactly that and every review I read called it a murder mystery or a whodunnit or a new Agatha Christie. You can google hundreds of places calling it that. It was ABSOLUTELY trying to be one.

I was not wrong to expect that going into it. Arguing that it is not that and I shouldn't have WANTED that is ridiculous quite frankly.

Wouldn’t be the first time marketing give the wrong impression about a movie.

Like, I’m agreeing with you! If you went in expecting it, if is legit gonna be confusing, because big important pieces of a murder mystery are either missing or stood on their heads!

But the movie knows it’s not a straight up and down murder mystery and isn’t interested in trying to be one. For what it’s worth, I do think the movie is pretty clear about what it IS pretty early on.

sarukun on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Because it's absolutely a take on the murder mystery genre. It just twists the nature of the genre a quarter of the way through the movie. I don't understand how someone can be upset about a movie having a surprise.

Ironically, Parasite does almost exactly the same thing.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    that is because a twist of the movie is that it's not a murder mystery and you're supposed to not be expecting the swerve

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Knives Out was a fantastic movie that knew exactly what it wanted to do and did it very well, with an amazing cast, and ended up giving a big old boost to the entire Murder Mystery genre, which has long been nothing so much as a way for Serious Actors to Act Seriously, while secretly smelling their own farts, albeit in a Serious Manner. Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express, I am talking about you, yes.

Ahhh yes, who could ever forget Angela Lansbury's very serious acting in Death On the Nile.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I had no idea you were that person who sued because the trailer for Drive made it look like a darker Fast & Furious movie.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean they both have cars and are extremely boring so I honestly wouldn't consider that false representation

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I mean they both have cars and are extremely boring so I honestly wouldn't consider that false representation

Oh my goodness thems are some fighting words.

Don't you trash talk my favorite human bean.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Oh my goodness thems are some fighting words.

Don't you trash talk my favorite human bean.

that song is about Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and Drive using it is tantamount to stolen valor!!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Drive would hold up for me on rewatch. Granted I’m one of the few who kinda liked neon demon. So probably

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I had no idea you were that person who sued because the trailer for Drive made it look like a darker Fast & Furious movie.

That is a quite a leap you're making. I guess you have not seen a single review, person or advertisement calling it a whodunnit or a murder mystery. That is heck of impressive! But not impossible.

Please, then, to take 10 seconds to google the same and I can assure you you'll get at least 5 and maybe as many as a thousand results. Then you can continue on you pilgrimage to of how it makes ME the bad and wrong one.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I honestly don’t know how else you would advertise it tbh.

How did they advertise Clue back in the day?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I wonder if Drive would hold up for me on rewatch. Granted I’m one of the few who kinda liked neon demon. So probably

It's very very good.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

Neon demon was alright, I kinda liked it too

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I loved loved loved Knives Out and y'all are being kinda shitty

Pink didn't like it, they thought it was gonna be one thing and didn't like what it actually was and had a bad time

That's fine and you don't have to fuckin explain why they are wrong for feeling that way or get super condescending

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Everybody is wrong all of the time.

Especially me.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Everybody is wrong all of the time.

Especially me.

ESPECIALLY you!

( <3 )

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'll be seeing Knives Out 2 day one

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'll be seeing Knives Out 2 day one

I bought the movie digitally the moment it became available and I will buy the steel-case bluray on Tuesday. I have never done that with a movie before.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Watched Amadeus for the first time

holy shit

I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that I actually felt was... sublime

That it elevated the medium, that had Meaning

What a thing

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Fuck Salieri though.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »

Pink didn't like it, they thought it was gonna be one thing and didn't like what it actually was and had a bad time

That's fine and you don't have to fuckin explain why they are wrong for feeling that way or get super condescending

Not liking it is fine. But getting mad at a movie and calling it bad because it wasn't "as advertised" is kind of silly and just about bottom rung of the ladder criticism.

I don't think Knives Out is even in the top 5 of the year for me but I definitely appreciate what it did with the murder mystery genre.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ive got a bottom rung for you

• Options
    Stop hitting on me.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Not liking it is fine. But getting mad at a movie and calling it bad because it wasn't "as advertised" is kind of silly and just about bottom rung of the ladder criticism.

I don't think Knives Out is even in the top 5 of the year for me but I definitely appreciate what it did with the murder mystery genre.

Responding to someone explaining why they were disappointed because they were expecting a whodunnit and didn't get that with "you opinion is silly and bottom rung criticism" is hilariously snooty and condescending dude

Pink's feelings are just as valid as yours and don't have to meet some invisible threshold of conduct

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Responding to someone explaining why they were disappointed because they were expecting a whodunnit and didn't get that with "you opinion is silly and bottom rung criticism" is hilariously snooty and condescending dude

Pink's feelings are just as valid as yours and don't have to meet some invisible threshold of conduct

Stop trying to mod the thread when you're not a moderator. I think Pink can manage their own conversation without you getting offended on their behalf.

I think people should criticise art based on it's content. Not it's marketing campaign. I'm not invalidating Pink's criticism. I'm saying it's not very insightful or thought provoking. They're still entitled to that opinion though.

• Options

Stop trying to mod the thread when you're not a moderator. I think Pink can manage their own conversation without you getting offended on their behalf.

I think people should criticise art based on it's content. Not it's marketing campaign. I'm not invalidating Pink's criticism. I'm saying it's not very insightful or thought provoking. They're still entitled to that opinion though.

That's a massive oversimplification and outright false interpretation of why I didn't like the film. I have specified multiple other reasons why I didn't like it besides the possible fact is it marketed as something it isn't, something I don't agree with at all.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    can I post stuff about documentaries here

Hm that's funny, I can hear this documentary title

This discussion has been closed.