As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 Election] Subtle Does Not Go Here

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I just keep looking at my daughter who's sleeping and crying. I don't see how we win this
    Edit I don't mean to be negative but it seems like we're losing everything

You have us. We're just a small and random part of a huge loose community of people who care about the future of people like your daughter. It won't be easy, but there will always be people fighting for a brighter future.

• Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    Unless Trump's rather considerable leads in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania end up collapsing, this is basically a repeat of 2016 minus Arizona.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    aaaaaaaaaaaand there's Clark and Washoe

i told them we were going blue.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Biden is still the odds on favourite though less so than before

Did any of you ever read Lucifer's Hammer?

A dinosaur-killer asteroid is detected on a possible collision course with Earth, but 0.1% chance to hit.

Sorry, new data in. 1%.

New observations. 10%.

Used a better telescope. 40%.

ESA's model estimates 60%.

Chinese Space Agency's new satellite telescope predicts 80%.

Uh… I… I… need to call my mother.

Anyway, I don't know why I brought up the novel.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    perhaps some much needed levity: my roommate is a very hardcore trumper (we love you mr president, thank you for saving our country, i'm sad that this country doesn't appreciate you and isn't grateful for your herculean efforts, etc etc) and she's up stressing about the election

i just heard her say that she's extremely worried biden is going to dismantle every american police force and just let the democrats run free with criminality since they don't recognize law and order

(i was able to enjoy this and laugh rather than cry because i live in a state where trump only got 41% of the vote)

Do you have wacky hijinks ala sitcoms?

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    I got to listen to three increasingly.drunk young folks next door get increasingly excited about Georgia flipping before succumbing to boredom and going to bed

They grow up so fast

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Glyph wrote: »
    Unless Trump's rather considerable leads in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania end up collapsing, this is basically a repeat of 2016 minus Arizona.

you can't fool me glyph i recognize your posts now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    How is it this close? Is it a case of our polls being fucked again ? It shouldn't be this close. Not even. Fuck pumpkin head

There are over 60 million Nazis in this country is the problem. It's not like Trump made it through the primary and won the general election based on some kind of confusion about who he was.

60 million Nazis supported by one half of our two-party political system that has been ratfucking our democracy since McCarthy and Nixon in order to disenfranchise anyone who isn't a Nazi

It fucking sucks, but even though the Nazis are holding their own (again) know that there's more of us than there are of them. We just have to keep hitting them until they can't get back up again

And then hit them some more because fuck Nazis

Naw, this is bullshit framing. A decent portion (and I'd argue a majority) of Trump voters are people who generally don't pay attention but the Republicans are their team and Trump is the Republican so they vote for their team. The dipshits driving around in trucks with Trump flags? They don't give a shit about what Trump has done. They likely literally don't know what he's done. But he's on their team so fuck you, you sad democraptic libs. Suck on my coal rolling trump flag sporting tailgate you worthless fucks.

That's literally as far as their thinking goes.

And in order to get them to see that "Uh no, actually, Trump is pretty ok with nazis so maybe don't vote for him?" you have to get through Fox News and more importantly social media propaganda.

It shouldn't be surprising that's a hard nut to crack.

Try convincing a Packers fan to root for the Vikings because the Packers, the team they're intentionally blind fans of because then they don't have to pay attention, are pro-nazi.

It's not impossible but good-fucking-luck.

All of that was true for the Nazis as well.

I was disputing the the assertion that every republican voter, or even a majority of them, is a Nazi.

So I guess my question would be: Do you have a point?

If you happily associate with Nazi's, you're a Nazi.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    perhaps some much needed levity: my roommate is a very hardcore trumper (we love you mr president, thank you for saving our country, i'm sad that this country doesn't appreciate you and isn't grateful for your herculean efforts, etc etc) and she's up stressing about the election

i just heard her say that she's extremely worried biden is going to dismantle every american police force and just let the democrats run free with criminality since they don't recognize law and order

(i was able to enjoy this and laugh rather than cry because i live in a state where trump only got 41% of the vote)

Do you have wacky hijinks ala sitcoms?

most of the time it's honestly too sad and dispiriting for me to see the humor in it. hearing her repeat all the shit (he's done more for black people than anyone since lincoln, biden is a pedophile, the biden empire is being built on chinese funds, etc) just withers my soul. tonight i need the release valve tho so it curled back around to funny.

thankfully i was in the military so she is careful to worship me almost as much as trump, which is convenient for us interacting

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

They don't count the early votes until they're done with the day of votes.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    At this point, the outstanding states are mostly this elections crop of swing states. We do have three states that aren't swing state, Maine, with it's split setup where I think one district is a swing district. Hawaii which is going to be democratic when they close polls. Finally, we have Alaska, I'm pretty sure that's going to be republicans, but since it's really hard to poll because pollsters have to contend with the grizzly bear menace and things are kind of weird there, I guess it has a non-zero chance of be adventurous and breaking the mold, but very likely won't.

• Options
    Also good news from GA:

Ia! Ia! Needle fhtagn

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So tonight ended up going from me getting increasingly stressed out from keeping myself from paying attention to things to breaking down an hour and a half early and calming myself down while not feeling great, to comforting my wife who hasn't fully experienced the whole precinct/city/rural timetable thing (let alone absentee thing) so I think she's actually feeling worse than me right now. I did make the right choice to take my meds an hour or two before I usually do (I just take it before bed, there's not a specific time). I'm feeling kinda Zen right now - it's out of my hands. It always has been, but... Like, you know what I mean.

The Senate has me feeling sad, but honestly as NC got tight before the end there I was kinda expecting our country would do the stupid thing there. I'm mostly frustrated that it's looking like (unless Gideon pulls it out) not a single candidate I donated to will win and I spent....more money than I should probably admit on Senate races.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    How is it this close? Is it a case of our polls being fucked again ? It shouldn't be this close. Not even. Fuck pumpkin head

There are over 60 million Nazis in this country is the problem. It's not like Trump made it through the primary and won the general election based on some kind of confusion about who he was.

60 million Nazis supported by one half of our two-party political system that has been ratfucking our democracy since McCarthy and Nixon in order to disenfranchise anyone who isn't a Nazi

It fucking sucks, but even though the Nazis are holding their own (again) know that there's more of us than there are of them. We just have to keep hitting them until they can't get back up again

Naw, this is bullshit framing. A decent portion (and I'd argue a majority) of Trump voters are people who generally don't pay attention but the Republicans are their team and Trump is the Republican so they vote for their team. The dipshits driving around in trucks with Trump flags? They don't give a shit about what Trump has done. They likely literally don't know what he's done. But he's on their team so fuck you, you sad democraptic libs. Suck on my coal rolling trump flag sporting tailgate you worthless fucks.

And in order to get them to see that "Uh no, actually, Trump is pretty ok with nazis so maybe don't vote for him?" you have to get through Fox News and more importantly social media propaganda.

Try convincing a Packers fan to root for the Vikings because the Packers, the team they're intentionally blind fans of because then they don't have to pay attention, are pro-nazi.

I was disputing the the assertion that every republican voter, or even a majority of them, is a Nazi.

That has fuckall to do with what I was saying.

Try harder with the reading comprehension.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

That’s a lot of Nazis. :(

Yup. And the only long term way to get rid of them is to educate ourselves so that the future no longer tolerates the hateful evil fucks. It's a process that requires all of us to participate in whatever ways we can, grow our communities, protect and support each other, and pass those ethics on to the next generations who will continue the fight.

It's going to be hard because we've been submerged in American Exceptionalism and Rugged Individualism propaganda for decades that decries coming together and working for a common cause. But that struggle is the price to live in an America that is actually exceptional. The length of this labor is the cost of adhering to an Ideal of what this country, and we, could be.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

Still a decent proposition for making our people and our ideals shine forth in the face of this festering evil

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

The thing is, it doesn't matter if you believed in Hitler and his ideals. As long as you helped him get to power, what else were you but a Nazi, in the end?

Similar here, it's not about intent, but action. I can't look into people's heads. I can look at what they do.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I just keep looking at my daughter who's sleeping and crying. I don't see how we win this
    Edit I don't mean to be negative but it seems like we're losing everything

So, I have two kids now, born in 2016 and 2020. I feel this pain and fear even though I’m not an American.

Go hug your daughter and go to sleep.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

That has fuckall to do with what I was saying.

Try harder with the reading comprehension.

I would perhaps step back and ask why you are trying to defend people who support Nazi's.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    At this point, the outstanding states are mostly this elections crop of swing states. We do have three states that aren't swing state, Maine, with it's split setup where I think one district is a swing district. Hawaii which is going to be democratic when they close polls. Finally, we have Alaska, I'm pretty sure that's going to be republicans, but since it's really hard to poll because pollsters have to contend with the grizzly bear menace and things are kind of weird there, I guess it has a non-zero chance of be adventurous and breaking the mold, but very likely won't.

I think HI has already been called for Biden.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    The best news so far is probably that nothing blew up that we know of. No massive direct hacking campaigns from Russia, no riots at polling places, etc. Election day itself seems to have gone without much drama.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    oh god, MSNBC is making GA sound like it might be really close and there are enough votes outstanding in Dem areas to make up the current deficit. I'm so afraid that something is going to go wrong in MI or WI

• Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular

you can't fool me glyph i recognize your posts now

Not trying to "fool" anyone, just repeating what the maps are showing. Trump is ahead by almost 4% in Wisconsin, over 8% in Michigan and more than 14% in PA. That could turn around in the final stretch but I'm saying that's what would need to happen for him to lose.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Kind of depends on how you define good and bad. Trump winning is the apocalyptically bad result. The awesome result would have been Trump getting Mondaled and we know that isn't going to happen. Biden winning cleanly and taking the Senate would be good. Personally I would consider Biden winning after an ugly contested election and ending up stymied from even a chance at any of the reforms needed to fix the country by a hostile Senate to be a bad result. Not as bad as it could be but still bad.

The good thing about Biden taking the presidency, even without the Senate, is that our two most important priorities are (or should be)...

1) Climate Change
    2) Virus response

Now, on Virus response, I don't think the Senate or the Court has the 'cajones' to tell Biden he CANT enable the CDC and put medical professionals in charge, and have the CDC etc use the powers it already has (which are sweeping). On Climate Change, strong action is needed, but, the majority of the decisions etc are made by the federal agencies which Biden can take charge of and start doing important stuff again. We have many good rules in place, Biden could just start enforcing them. Fortunately thanks to technological progress there is a shit ton of unobjectionable low hanging fruit to pick which is literally free to start doing.

The catastrophe of not having the senate will be on racial justice, but, there are many things that Biden can just stop doing there to help significantly. Many programs etc which lie in the hands of the president and are just being corrupted, or not used. The senate won't have the house, they can't actually pass any laws, so it's really a question of 'Do Republicans hate this program enough to have the court stop it?'

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Xantomas wrote: »
    oh god, MSNBC is making GA sound like it might be really close and there are enough votes outstanding in Dem areas to make up the current deficit. I'm so afraid that something is going to go wrong in MI or WI

I think the MN result is a pretty good indication that things will go right in MI and WI.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    There are some big climate things that could have happened with a stronger Dem majority though. Things that need to happen.

Hopefully we'll have a chance in the future still

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Elections aren't footraces or StarCraft games, where "winning" is a concept during the race. Being ahead does not make you more likely to win. The race is done once all the votes are in, it's just an extended measuring process.

In other words try not to look at the big fat red and blue bars on the front pages of news sites that are counting to 270. They don't mean anything.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »

I think HI has already been called for Biden.

I feel bad for people voting in HI. So much election data before the polls close. If they ever become a swing state it's going to be a nightmare.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    So was Texas closer than usual? Or do we not have results enough yet. It seems to be forever purple

Prohass on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Elections aren't footraces or StarCraft games, where "winning" is a concept during the race. Being ahead does not make you more likely to win. The race is done once all the votes are in, it's just an extended measuring process.

In other words try not to look at the big fat red and blue bars on the front pages of news sites that are counting to 270. They don't mean anything.

but what if trump 4gates every game

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular

Wisconsin's count is missing more than half of Milwaukee County among other things, which will be at least +50,000 in Biden's favor (but probably closer to 100,000).

Pennsylvania's count is missing 30-40% of Philadelphia's votes.

Wisconsin, Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania all have a bunch of absentee ballots to be counted. In some cases (like Pennsylvania, this is apparently 100,000s of ballots from around Philadelphia). Regardless of your propensity to doomsaying or jubilation, you're not going to have a result today.

(Also, as for part of the reason behind this slowness, absentee ballots generally take longer to count.)

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Also good news from GA:

Ia! Ia! Needle fhtagn

My joy is dampened by my fear of the fallout from Democrats stealing Georgia's election.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    So was Texas closer than usual? Or do we not have results enough yet. It seems to be forever purple

Texas was a legit toss up. It was unlikely, but the chance was very real.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Trump to say words shortly.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »

yeah he has trouble with the long ones

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The thing is, it doesn't matter if you believed in Hitler and his ideals. As long as you helped him get to power, what else were you but a Nazi, in the end?

Similar here, it's not about intent, but action. I can't look into people's heads. I can look at what they do.

What’s the saying, “What do you call 11 people at a table listening to a Nazi? A dozen Nazis.”

That’s my point.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular

Finally, some much needed measured calm will be added to proceedings

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

He'll have to speak up if we're to hear him from his bunker

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm going to bed. I see Trump is talking in 20 minutes. I can't take it. I just hope america exists and we voted sane tomorrow.

I'll probably wake up every hour and check my phone

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm going to bed. It's over. It's not over in a way everyone can believe yet, but it is.

In a few hours, Wisconsin will flip blue when Milwaukee vote dumps and never look back.

Sometime tomorrow, probably in the morning or early afternoon, all of the following will happen:

1) Arizona will be called for realsies no takebacks
    2) Milwaukee will report and Wisconsin will turn blue for good
    3) Detroit and its suburbs will report and Michigan will turn blue for good
    4) Atlanta will finish and Georgia will very narrowly flip blue

Pennsylvania and North Carolina will become curiosities for the politically inclined but not relevant to the final result. By tomorrow night, Biden will be named the President-elect by consensus.

This discussion has been closed.