As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Professional Container Ship Drift Racing

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The ship...... fields (I'm not sure how else to describe them) off of Singapore are wild. There's just nothing comparable that I've seen in the states. Just hundreds of cargo ships anchored off shore and dozens of tugs running around in-between ferrying people from ship to shore and shore to other islands.

Carpy on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I once again only learned of the importance of the Malacca straight through eu4 and while you should absolutely remain wary of that description it has led me on so many interesting wiki dives

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I wonder how much fuel diverting around South Africa will cost, and how much it will add to climate change...

Less than if they sat and waited at the Suez

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

And it's even way cheaper than the original!

• Options
    Let me just order the clothes from overseas oh noooo

• Options
    My "cargo ship blocking the suez canal"-Look clothes are stuck on a cargo ship blocking the suez canal.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Flarne wrote: »
    I’m sad it’s an Evergreen ship that’s stuck. Always liked them.

Should’ve been a Hapag-Lloyd. Or even worse, Maersk.
    This is an interesting fandom i'd like to know more about

It's more work damage than fandom. The shipping business has a limited number of actors so if you work in a container port for a few years you end up getting exposed to most of them.

My ranking of shipping lines is based on a combination of how pretty their containers are and how good their staff were to deal with last decade.
    1. Hamburg Süd - Nice red cans, one of the only big lines that had a local office and not just a big Gothenburg one
    2. CMA/CGM - Nice french people. Good blue cans.
    3. K-Line - Good red color, and I'm glad they decided to go with K-Line and not print KKK all over their containers and ships
    4. Evergreen - Green cans! Together with the red ones above they create the most Christmassy stacks.
    5. MSC - Very bureaucratic. Yellow cans, good color but not my favorite.
    6. Hyundai - Nice people, also red cans but for some reason I never liked them that much.
    7. COSCO - Their invoice approval process takes about six months for some insane reason. I think maybe they ship the documents back and forth to Asia.
    8. Hapag-Lloyd - Had to deal with some very annoying people there. Kinda boring cans, lots of different older designs.
    9. Maersk - Doesn't acknowledge the existence of the east coast of Sweden. Think everything should go to Gothenburg and then travel on by train or truck. Gets very upset when one of their cans ends up on the east coast ports by accident.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Do they not acknowledge the east Swedish coast for any particular reason or just screw those guys?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Honestly this whole incident has given me some ideas of my own for use in a novel so in that respect I quite like it.
    Was the idea that a big fuck-off thing gets stuck somewhere? Because I can sort of see how that might have been brought to mind.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Honestly this whole incident has given me some ideas of my own for use in a novel so in that respect I quite like it.
    Was the idea that a big fuck-off thing gets stuck somewhere? Because I can sort of see how that might have been brought to mind.

Yeah, that was the first idea that popped out at me too

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Do they not acknowledge the east Swedish coast for any particular reason or just screw those guys?

I'm slightly biased since I worked on an east coast port. Basically there's two alternatives for shipping to Sweden: Ship to Gothenburg which is closest to the rest of the world and forward by land, or ship to the closest port thus spending more time at sea but requiring less land transport.

The main idea behind option 1 is that it's easier to bring a big ship to Gothenburg and get economics of scale than having to reload to feeder vessels (smaller ships) to go into the Baltic Sea. Maersk tried for a few years I think but the big ships were always a bit too big to be profitable, so they ended up using feeders to Gothenburg anyway.

You can technically bring big ships into the Baltic but then you can't use the Kiel canal so it adds a couple days journey to go around Denmark. Thus same problem, you need to have enough cargo for it to be profitable to bring a big ship all that way, plus most ports in the Baltic aren't deep enough that you can even go there.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Who uses canals these days anyway?

Get on a plane or something. Serves them right for not getting with the times.

• Options
    They might not be fast, but when it comes to moving vessels between two bodies of water that are at different heights, canals have got that shit locked down

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    They might not be fast, but when it comes to moving vessels between two bodies of water that are at different heights, canals have got that shit locked down

Boooo!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Thought that might get a rise out of you

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    You're a regular Joshua Jones.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I worked for Malaysia international shipping corporation in Australia when I first left high school, and I sometimes get panic dreams about getting release forms wrong for couriers and having them come back screaming at me cos the client can’t get their container released.

Which, fair enough, but also, I’m straight out of high school with no experience. Also the lady that got me the job used to like try and racistly bond with me over how incompetent she thought the two Indian guys I worked with were by like eye rolling at me behind their backs, when in reality I fucking loathed her and those guys were super helpful and patient with me. I was too young and stupid to say anything to her other than politely and awkwardly smile when she tried to imply they were bad at their jobs.

I ended up burning out cos I was just a dumb high school kid with no idea what I wanted to do, and I would get clients asking me like the tax percentage of stuff and I’d have no idea and I finally freaked out once and just started hanging up and then quit at the end of the day, I felt bad cos the higher ups were going to send me on a training course, but I was carrying a dark secret; I was, still am, and always will be, terrible at math. And I think math was probably going to be important for that job

Also I didn’t drink at the time and when the boss offered me a beer I said “oh nah I’ll just have a coke thanks” and he said in a thick Indian accent “oh you’re into the hard stuff then are you?” and I always remember that line when I drink coke and now always call it the hard stuff

Prohass on
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular

There was that conspiracy going around a while back that Finland doesn't exist, so assuming that's true Sweden has more of an eastern coast than we ever suspected

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I worked for Malaysia international shipping corporation in Australia when I first left high school, and I sometimes get panic dreams about getting release forms wrong for couriers and having them come back screaming at me cos the client can’t get their container released

I was the guy refusing to release the container

sorry about that

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

It's more work damage than fandom. The shipping business has a limited number of actors so if you work in a container port for a few years you end up getting exposed to most of them.

My ranking of shipping lines is based on a combination of how pretty their containers are and how good their staff were to deal with last decade.
    1. Hamburg Süd - Nice red cans, one of the only big lines that had a local office and not just a big Gothenburg one
    3. K-Line - Good red color, and I'm glad they decided to go with K-Line and not print KKK all over their containers and ships
    4. Evergreen - Green cans! Together with the red ones above they create the most Christmassy stacks.
    6. Hyundai - Nice people, also red cans but for some reason I never liked them that much.
    7. COSCO - Their invoice approval process takes about six months for some insane reason. I think maybe they ship the documents back and forth to Asia.
    8. Hapag-Lloyd - Had to deal with some very annoying people there. Kinda boring cans, lots of different older designs.
    9. Maersk - Doesn't acknowledge the existence of the east coast of Sweden. Think everything should go to Gothenburg and then travel on by train or truck. Gets very upset when one of their cans ends up on the east coast ports by accident.

This is ONE pink can erasure.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

To quote another tumblr post "can't go to the circus and get mad when a clown tells you the news"

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
  • Options
    Where, uh, did a boat fall from onto a highway?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

a trailer

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

a trailer

That's unpossible

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

a trailer

that was flying obviously

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Someone rolled a yahtzee.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Tumblr is on point right now. Another post that said:

Shipping companies right now:

b09ffd7a9c2d50269d45bb93c6c43fd2a1921379.gifv

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Anyone who tells you tumblr is truly dead is a liar or hasn't been paying attention

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

This is ONE pink can erasure.

Sorry, they don’t traffic Sweden I think. Never saw one of those.
    There’s also one brand of leasing cans that are black and look cool.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

a trailer

That's unpossible

Probably too busy talking shit to pay attention to staying on the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38v51JvIv0A

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Financial services company Allianz is estimating 6-10 billion € economic damages per week the ship is stuck.

I'd kinda thought it would be more actually.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Financial services company Allianz is estimating 6-10 billion € economic damages per week the ship is stuck.

the "is the ship still stuck" site is calculating 32 billion already, but I don't know how it's doing that. But there may be a difference between economic damages and what it's actually costing.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Most of the trade that was stopped is being rerouted around Cape Horn so it's merely much more expensive rather than stopped completely

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

the "is the ship still stuck" site is calculating 32 billion already, but I don't know how it's doing that. But there may be a difference between economic damages and what it's actually costing.

Could just be a demurrage calculation for all the ships stuck

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    This whole idea of bringing in a crane to take off containers, from the pictures I've seen it's all sand, dirt, and water. Container cranes need to be on a sturdy level ground. So that's no gonna happen, plus if even you could get containers off the ship, you'd need heavy rated roads to truck them off.