As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm really anxious despite the fact they probably won't even contact me :lol:

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I was at the office today and let it be known that this was the very moment where all productivity ceased.

vh1ctggq7arb.jpeg

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    4c5tupa4jc9i.jpeg

If you think that’s rough, imagine this dude snoring up a storm 3 feet to your right all workday.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    And rightfully so!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Also, at no point did the guy ask me for any proof of ID or that I live here. Even after we'd broken the window and were standing inside the house where all of my things are kept.

Certainly worrying on the face of it. Although I reckon they won't really up their ID verification game until there's a famous local burglar whose MO is to call a locksmith, wait outside in the rain for a while, and then smash the window any old how.

So I guess be the change you want to see in the world, is the lesson here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So this morning was fun.

Some scammer tried sending a pretty good phishing email into our distribution list, that we use for our financial system. They even made it more enticing by saying the file included "bonus information" (which no one around here gets).

However, our distro list has moderation turned on, so instead of sending it sent an alert to the mods to approve it going through. But somehow THAT message also ended up in moderation. It was then accidentally approved.

So everyone on the distro list got an email saying "Hey, this other email needs approving, please bug this person to approve it." Which set off all sorts of flags.

After figuring out WTF happened, and that no one was compromised, I used the email as a chance to educate folks on how to spot these more sophisticated phishing emails that look like they came from Teams or something.

(They even used a Beaker avatar! Which was weird because why would the "HR" email address use Beaker?)

Yeah, Beaker is obviously QE.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yay, one of my vendors, who has seen lead times slip from 4 weeks to 12 weeks due to supply chain issues, just notified us they’ve been hacked and will be down until at least Monday. Hooray!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    One of our employees just lost their final appeal for their bs religious vaccine exemption so tomorrow is their last day.

I should add that this person has no issues getting our also-mandated yearly flu shots.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    But the flu shot is totally different and....

Nah just fucking with you. I'm glad these people are facing consequences for their shithousery

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Sorry, boss.

Got a dentist appointment at 5:00pm, so I can't work at all today.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I just spent 2 hours in my usual 1 hour one on one with my team lead.

That was... very cathartic.

... I mentioned how the lack of pay raises and recognition and other things meant that if this SRE job push /realignment didn't go too well, I'd be a lot more inclined to leave the university. My team lead made it very clear that he would do anything he could to keep me from doing that. He's very lucky I don't care about money that much, because the university couldn't afford me and it's an employee's market out there right now. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Continuing the farce, once I had secured access to my own house I went next door to my parents to check on their cat, and then couldn't get back into my house even with my key because it doesn't work right in the lock, never has. So I had to re-break-in through the cardboard covered window, with my house key in my pocket.

• Options
    “No, it’s okay, don’t call the cops. I’m not breaking in now. I’m just re-using the window I broke earlier when I broke in!”

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Can't be breaking and entering if the window is already broken. That's just entering. Are you telling me there's a law against entering?

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I have an in-person interview tomorrow at a place I had a zoom interview with yesterday and

I'm kind of terrified that I might get an offer?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Also, at no point did the guy ask me for any proof of ID or that I live here. Even after we'd broken the window and were standing inside the house where all of my things are kept.

Well, I mean, its not like he was responsible for letting you in, so he likely doesn't need to worry about liability in this instance?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So we had a big company meeting today. They announced a company wide week off for the week between Christmas and New Years. No PTO use required just a "Hey, it's been a rough year, let's start the year well rested" thing. Pretty great move.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    My efforts to ask for less resource and more time for unachievable goals did not go well.
    In good news, my boss and the development department boss agree with me. In bad news the CTO does not, and is…upset…that we didn’t shake down the Product team for more resource, even though he wanted us to.

Which, I mean, more resource is good, maybe. But what we need to do is understand the goals and agree how to get there before we ask for it (Contractors, small permanent teams, offshore teams, rotating parts of existing teams).

Oh well, got a follow up meeting to “get aligned on this” tomorrow.
    …body found floating by the docks…

I’m more of a, these are your options, let me know which matches your business priorities, person. But. Ugh.

On the plus side it sounds a lot like my boss is choking back frustrated annoyance with the CTO, so hopefully I can let him step on all the political land mines I don’t get paid for.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Whoa I just realized I've almost been a year at my new job damn how'd that happen. I guess in a few months I'll find out if they believe in yearly raises.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Applying for time off stresses me out and I curse my brain for making it so. I have time saved up and a right to make use of it as I need. Just because I'm submitting two different days on the same week for dental work, because I got the first one then a slot opened for the second an hour later after I submitted the initial request, is not something to raise the heart rate over. Calm the fuck down.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Applying for time off stresses me out and I curse my brain for making it so. I have time saved up and a right to make use of it as I need. Just because I'm submitting two different days on the same week for dental work, because I got the first one then a slot opened for the second an hour later after I submitted the initial request, is not something to raise the heart rate over. Calm the fuck down.

Honestly I’m not even sure why you’d need it to be PTO.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    What's the fastest you've ever had a coworker ask what your faith is?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Continuing the farce, once I had secured access to my own house I went next door to my parents to check on their cat, and then couldn't get back into my house even with my key because it doesn't work right in the lock, never has. So I had to re-break-in through the cardboard covered window, with my house key in my pocket.

I think, and this just may be me over reacting here, that you might need some new locks and the keys to go with those locks.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    What's the fastest you've ever had a coworker ask what your faith is?

Not sure, it’s been about 16 years and hasn’t happened yet.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Guy I apologize to for my bad attitude asked me that within the 1st 2 hours of me training him. I had buried it in memory until he pissed me off with his accusations.

Not gonna bring it up or write them up but it will yes be one of those things I'll remember about them

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    This week has been a week for work pranks.

One has been brewing for weeks. We found out one of the guys at work does a bit of DJ work (he actually DJ’d on RUOK day for the kids) so two of the girls Facebook stalked him and found his Spotify account. So I then had the idea of getting a copy of the song off and have it play between class breaks instead of other songs. However due to things it didn’t happen for like five weeks.

This week being world teacher week we also got sheets for the kids to write thank you notes to the teachers. So me and another teacher probably got around 150 or more kids to write thank you notes for all the amazing songs that have been playing this week.

Someone else accidentally sent me ten dollars instead of another teacher, instead of giving it back to her though, I’ve been buying her food with the money and have gotten random students to deliver it to her. I’ve found this so funny I’ve now spent way more than the ten dollars that she originally gave me.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Last night before boo bash I had a photo taken of me presenting the completed Ghostbusters site evaluation to my principal and posted it to Twitter. It is possibly my most successful Twitter post, which isn’t saying a lot but still.

Thanks to @TankHammer for the form.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Last night before boo bash I had a photo taken of me presenting the completed Ghostbusters site evaluation to my principal and posted it to Twitter. It is possibly my most successful Twitter post, which isn’t saying a lot but still.

I wanna see!
    I don't see it currently on the Twitter account I follow for you.

edit: Found it by searching Omaha Ghostbusters

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

I wanna see!

I see you just found it. :). It is on my official librarian Twitter and not my timspork one that I keep separate.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    In the morning zoom meeting, the employee who is being let go for refusing to get the vaccine says “I just want to thank everyone for standing by me and supporting my personal and private decisions”

And we all just kind of looked at each other awkwardly,

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

I wanna see!

I see you just found it. :). It is on my official librarian Twitter and not my timspork one that I keep separate.

Good move for teachers or anyone else who works with children. :+1:

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I have never once been asked my faith in the workplace.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I got a kudos from the university information security officer on how I handled mitigation, communication, and education about the phishing attempt yesterday. My team lead wants to use it as a springboard to help educate the rest of the team.

I'm chuffed. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Can someone share a link to the blank Ghostbusters form? :D

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Can someone share a link to the blank Ghostbusters form? :D

Tank shared them in the Ghostbusters thread. He did an amazing job!

• Options
    Huh. Our CTO just asked an interesting question that I don't know the answer to, but others might have thoughts...

We did a pretty successful Varsity eSports event recently.. but the stands were empty. Most of the viewers were on Twitch.

He's asking.. what can we do to help fill in the stands?

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Huh. Our CTO just asked an interesting question that I don't know the answer to, but others might have thoughts...

We did a pretty successful Varsity eSports event recently.. but the stands were empty. Most of the viewers were on Twitch.

If it is appropriate to be filling stands...

What even the big esports and events do: FREE SWAG!

T-shirt cannons dumb shit like that. Companies bribe one way or another to get the crowds they want.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Probably nothing outside of really good food and drink deals. Theres so little reason to be in person for e sports cause you're just watching a giant TV. The only thing that will bring folks in person is the ability to get things they couldn't just get at their houses with friends. Like almost any media offering as part of the event will go to the stream so wont put asses in seats. Merch should be available online so attending in person isn't required to get gear. The concessions are the only thing you can't just get at home, and they're gonna need to be both astoundingly good and relatively cheap.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I mean the other year I was gonna go to Dallas for one of the Overwatch League Dallas vs Houston games. But then COVID happened and all that shit got cancelled.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    this is the end of the second week and i have not yet received my computer, i just had a meeting to walk me through how to report time to a different payroll service than the one i used last week and my manager discovered they don't have me fully set up yet, and then they cancelled the standup meeting for the morning...

I guess... good uh work week team?