Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So how much of a wimp am I if I set system shock 2 to easy?

I’m used to hard games (especially shooters, I tend to play doom and quake on ultraviolent/hard), but I seem to be hitting brick walls pretty hard…. I read that the only real difference is that you get more heath and skill points, which may help a bit (my main problem seems to be running into things I’m not prepared for….

Or would I be better off just treating it like a roguelike and starting over again and again until I figure out whats going on?

Its a bit of weird design because you absolutely can get stuck and not be able to progress because you didn’t design your character well or were not efficient enough in your resource usage…. My brain has a hard time wrapping around that. On the other hand I really love the story and atmosphere so far.

I don't think you can completely brick the game no matter how badly you choose skills. It's possible i suppose to run completely out of ammo if your a really bad shot, and feel like starting over is a better decision.

Even then, as long as you keep a relatively narrow focus and try not to max every skill, you should be good

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

It will still be pretty difficult. Resources can be limited, guns break and until you've got a good grasp of the combat/ideas behind the game it can be very tricky. Also one section at the end is incredibly obnoxious and I don't blame anyone for lowering the difficulty of it.

You're not kidding. I haven't played it in a decade and I know which section you mean.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I finished that game once using only the wrench on highest difficulty.

No powers, no guns and no anything else: Only permitted weapon was the wrench.

It was at least an hour of jumping and running around. At least.

Good times.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I finished that game once using only the wrench on highest difficulty.

No powers, no guns and no anything else: Only permitted weapon was the wrench.

It was at least an hour of jumping and running around. At least.

Good times.

I'd say your choice really ratcheted up the difficulty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    \
    azith28 wrote: »

I’m used to hard games (especially shooters, I tend to play doom and quake on ultraviolent/hard), but I seem to be hitting brick walls pretty hard…. I read that the only real difference is that you get more heath and skill points, which may help a bit (my main problem seems to be running into things I’m not prepared for….

Or would I be better off just treating it like a roguelike and starting over again and again until I figure out whats going on?

Its a bit of weird design because you absolutely can get stuck and not be able to progress because you didn’t design your character well or were not efficient enough in your resource usage…. My brain has a hard time wrapping around that. On the other hand I really love the story and atmosphere so far.

I don't think you can completely brick the game no matter how badly you choose skills. It's possible i suppose to run completely out of ammo if your a really bad shot, and feel like starting over is a better decision.

I sort of cheated a bit and read a bunch of skill guides, apparently it is possible to brick the game at a certain point if you don't have hack 3 or research 1.

Started over on easy and I don't even know if it is really that much easier anyway, I have a few more skill points and a bit more max health (but the only time I was at max health anyway is when I'm somewhere with a surgical table and otherwise it seems somewhat irrelevant.) Drops and enemies seem to be little different from normal.

I'm having a lot easier time anyway due to one rule - Always be Hacking. Made it a priority to get hack 3 and cyber 3 (hopefully hack 4 comes soon). I didn't realize hacking security also turned off turrets, which makes a lot of areas much easier.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

If an alien monster breaks out in the lab and you only go for the flamethrower after half-heartedly pushing carts at it, you are definitely not going to survive the horror movie.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Wow, GOG even has Giants: Citizen Kabuto. They deserve more attention.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Armed & Dangerous were sooooo good. I don't think either one sold particularly well, because the studio turned straight to terrible mobile and Wii games right after Armed & Dangerous. One of the great tragedies of gaming.....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Wow, GOG even has Giants: Citizen Kabuto. They deserve more attention.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Armed & Dangerous were sooooo good. I don't think either one sold particularly well, because the studio turned straight to terrible mobile and Wii games right after Armed & Dangerous. One of the great tragedies of gaming.....

Meh. The presentation in those games was great but compared to something like Ratchet & Clank the gunplay was only so-so.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Oh yeah. I value unique janky stuff more than extra polished/honed but straight down the middle gameplay almost all of the time. It was very much in my wheelhouse! I really did enjoy the gunplay and all of the super weird guns in Armed & Dangerous, but in Giants it was pretty much functional at best. Neither one is as tight and polished as a first party AAA-esque thing though, for sure.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Armed and Dangerous is full of "LOL so random" and "Whoa, dude, so cray cray" moments but the gameplay is kinda bleh

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    KEO is free to keep until tomorrow, November 10th, at 10am Pacific time.
    wve72b7acumd.jpg

Beholder is free to keep until November 11th, at 10 am Pacific time. There are no trading cards in this version.
    tb7anm68nl2c.jpg

Steam: Calidaria
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    t49kp4nbfhno.jpg

@Orivon made my steam library just a little bit lewder. Thanks a lot. <3<3

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I finished RE8 today! I enjoyed it a fair bit, what with cool boss designs, great graphics and a good mix of creepy slow bits and fun action bits, though I do also see why it’s not heralded as the best in series. I’m not quite feeling the pull to jump back in right away like I usually am with the best of the series. Still totally worth playing though.

• Options
    SteamWorld Dig 2 is free to keep until tomorrow, November 11th at 11am, Pacific time. There are no trading cards in this version.

zcxxx2xcdokn.jpg

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Steam Deck delayed by two months due to supply chain issues. Just got an email from Valve.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Steam Deck delayed by two months due to supply chain issues. Just got an email from Valve.

Who could have foreseen this?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

Who could have foreseen this?

Nintendo, maybe. Are Switch OLEDs going to be on shelves in time for Christmas?

• Options
    Calescent wrote: »
    SteamWorld Dig 2 is free to keep until tomorrow, November 11th at 11am, Pacific time. There are no trading cards in this version.

zcxxx2xcdokn.jpg
    GOG, too, looks like.
    https://www.gog.com/game/steamworld_dig_2

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

UGGGGHHHHHH

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    The launch of Steam Deck will be delayed by two months. We're sorry about this—we did our best to work around the global supply chain issues, but due to material shortages, components aren’t reaching our manufacturing facilities in time for us to meet our initial launch dates.
    Based on our updated build estimates, Steam Deck will start shipping February 2022. This will be the new start date of the reservation queue—you will keep your place in line but dates will shift back accordingly. Reservation date estimates will be updated shortly after this announcement.
    Again, we're sorry we won’t be able to make our original ship date. We'll continue working to improve reservation dates based on the new timeline, and will keep you updated as we go.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Calescent wrote: »

zcxxx2xcdokn.jpg
    GOG, too, looks like.
    https://www.gog.com/game/steamworld_dig_2

Steamworld Dig 2 is thoroughly wonderful.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I am 100% not surprised by the Steam Deck delay, but I am 100% bummed out. I was really hoping to have mine by the end of the year.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I was looking forward to it like crazy. Like a single positive for the year. It's killing me right now because 3 months seems so painfully far away.

• Options
    Assassin's Creed Chronicles trilogy is free to keep through Ubisoft Connect PC until November 12th "your local time" which, for me, is 2am Pacific.

j04lfh77wsdw.jpg

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Tbh this timing is a lot better for my budget but it’s a bummer none the less.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    My Steam Deck reservation page now says Q1 2022. Previously it was blank, which was widely understood to be the first batch in December.

probably worth checking your reservation pages to see where you've been bumped.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    My Steam Deck reservation page now says Q1 2022. Previously it was blank, which was widely understood to be the first batch in December.

I'm now Q2 2022, from Q1.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    wunderbar wrote: »

Bumped from Q1 to Q2. :sad:

It took nearly 15 minutes to get the reservation to go through originally. Drat. At least I can assume I was originally Feb/Mar in Q1, so now Apr/May...

Yeah, not gonna lie, I'm bummed. I get it, and I understand the realities, but I'm still bummed.

Jazz on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Check your email:
    Hello LD50
    The launch of Steam Deck will be delayed by two months. We're sorry about this—we did our best to work around the global supply chain issues, but due to material shortages, components aren’t reaching our manufacturing facilities in time for us to meet our initial launch dates.
    Based on our updated build estimates, Steam Deck will start shipping February 2022. This will be the new start date of the reservation queue—you will keep your place in line but dates will shift back accordingly. Reservation date estimates will be updated shortly after this announcement.
    Again, we're sorry we won’t be able to make our original ship date. We'll continue working to improve reservation dates based on the new timeline, and will keep you updated as we go.
    To view your updated expected order availability and FAQ, please visit the Steam Deck store page.

Cheers,
    The Steam Team

LD50 on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Check your email:
    Hello LD50
    To view your updated expected order availability and FAQ, please visit the Steam Deck store page.

Cheers,
    The Steam Team

You don't say?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I do not understand every company trying to push new hardware when they literally do not have stock to sell.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Check your email:
    Hello LD50

Cheers,
    The Steam Team

You don't say?

Reading is hard.

• Options
    It is raining free games!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I do not understand every company trying to push new hardware when they literally do not have stock to sell.

These things take years to prototype. I'm sure every single one of them started R&D in the before times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I get that, but it's like why bother spending any money on advertising when there are 5 available worldwide that got snatched up by scalpers running bots to buy them?

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I get that, but it's like why bother spending any money on advertising when there are 5 available worldwide that got snatched up by scalpers running bots to buy them?

Keeping up appearances? Even if they lose millions on year-round ads, token gestures have to be made or else you are signaling defeat.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I guess I must have been right at the december cutoff. My Q1 date stayed Q1

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think a portable PC would have been fun for holiday traveling and stuff.

Oh well. I wasn't getting in until Q2 2022 anyway. Now I just have to wait longer. Maybe by next summer if they stop fucking things up.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    4j8ac4mmhe35.jpg
    New cores have been added to the Steam version of RetroArch:
    • BlastEm - SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive
    • Snes9x - SNES
    • Desmume - Nintendo DS
    • Nestopia - NES
    • Flycast - Sega Dreamcast, Naomi and Atomiswave
    • PPSSPP - Sony PSP
    As with the previous ones you need to manually redeem them into your account ass free DLCs.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Oh I didn't know they got the cores right in there, that's convenient!
    e: ah there's the rub, many cores are missing, some might never make it to Steam. Oh well.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png