As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bloodline game - Dwarf Fortress - I have pulled my proverbial finger out

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Do some stuff!
    Chop things!
    Make traps!
    All that jazz.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pick a random peasant immigrant and turn off all jobs except for hunting.

L|ama on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am really liking your narration so far, good times all around. Fuck the elves. We should try and start a war with them.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ok, plans for a well:

1) Build large enough room below desired well location
    2) Commence tunneling from said room into nearby water source (river or lake, above or under ground)
    3) Before reaching said water source build two doors/floodgates/whatever in the tunnel
    4) Set 2 pressure plates in the walls of 2 different Z levels in the large room under the well and connect one of them to one of the gates, the second to the other gate
    5) Send one dorf to breach the final wall before the water source, let him die heroically for glorious cause

The way it's supposed to work it water will start filling yp the large containment room. Once they reach 1 Z level above where dorfs can use it was a well, first pressure plate will cause first floodgate to close. If something terrible happens and it doesn't work quite right, the second pressure plate, set slightly above the first, will cause the second gate to close, making damn sure no unwanted water will get through

Super Special Secret Awesome Precaution: Build another, wider tunnel from the containment room to nearby chasm, sealed off by lever operated door. In case flooding is going to happen to matter what, I open said door and all the water will be safely disposed of.

What dost thou think, internets?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You could just uh build the tunnel with the well shaft channelled out above it, and leave 1 tile stopping it from drowning the miner, stick the floodgate in, hook it up to a lever and then go to the Z level above and channel out the dirt tile. Wells only need the tile directly below the building to have water.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    You could just uh build the tunnel with the well shaft channelled out above it, and leave 1 tile stopping it from drowning the miner, stick the floodgate in, hook it up to a lever and then go to the Z level above and channel out the dirt tile. Wells only need the tile directly below the building to have water.

The way I see it, connecting the well directly to the water source is a bad idea. All it takes is a little change in water pressure, or a little tunnel collapse, or a lever left unattended for a long enough time or whatever for the entire thing to collapse and drown your underground nation. This way, it's (almost) totally automated and fool-proof.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    As long as you make sure there's no water linked to your source that is above where you want to keep dry, you can't flood your fortress.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Considering I'm usually tunneling down, not up, on my maps, this is somewhat of a concern for me.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well most of the time I end up building my main fortress area fairly high up (relative to water) since rivers are usually in valleys and I pick places where the lakes dry up after the first summer. You could just have a straight channel from river/ocean to chasm with the well in the middle?

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I guess I could use that method for my outside fort, which is bascally a shit ton of walls and traps and a barracks for my guards. It's just that most of my army and civillian population reside underground, where it's safe and homey. I'm thinking of of doing something else with the top of the mountain, but I'm not quite sure as to what exactly.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    There's a way easier method to get an underground lake underneath your mountain. It really isn't that hard. I just channeled directly from the river into a huge underground pool, and then just channeled from the underground lake back into the river again. Since the water is always circulating, I get to use a waterwheel underneath my fort, fish in the water, AND have a 3 z level well shaft about it so I can pull up water for the crazy sick dwarves. I have two levers and several floodgates, and I've since created a mist filled dining room and a dwarven bath house beneath the fort.

++++++++~~~
    ~~~~~~~X~~~~
    ++++++++~~~~

That's what the channel looks like, it has floor on either side. Overall the layout is something like this:
    +++++++++ ∂∂ .' .` ' .`'; ' .`' ;. ''I~~~
    +~~~~~~~~+++++++++++++~~~
    +~~~~~~~~X~~~~~~~~~~~X~~~
    +~~~~~~~~+. ' , ; , ; , ' ` ; , ; , .I~~~
    +~~~~~~~~+; `. ;`. ;`` . ' " . ;I~~~
    +~~~~~~~~X~~~~~~~~~~~X~~~
    ++++++++++++++++++++++~~~

∂ = level, X = floodgate

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ok, that is a much better idea than mine. Have you tried channelling some of the water from that river to try and irrigate underground crops?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Do you use pumps to get your water back into the river after it goes through your waterfalls? I tried that but dear god did I fail miserably. Transferring power down Z levels is confusing as fuck.

L|ama on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so uh... can one order a dwarf to attack another dwarf? >_>

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Do you use pumps to get your water back into the river after it goes through your waterfalls? I tried that but dear god did I fail miserably. Transferring power down Z levels is confusing as fuck.

Right now it just drains out of the mountain. I'm not sure what ecological impact that's having aside from creating a small swamp at the bottom of my map.

@ I.H.N.I.W.T.R.

Floodgate irrigation is a bitch to set up but it's pretty easy to run once it's all set, and yes, you could use it to irrigate crops. All my crops are growing at the top of my fort right now, I used an underground pool to irrigate most of them. What you want to do is to create a room 7x smaller than the room you want to irrigate, and then using floodgates, fill it completely with water to 7/7, then use that to irrigate the room.

∂∂
    +++++++++
    X~~~~~X~~ (water source)
    +~~~~~+++
    +++++++++

Say we wanted to irrigate a 70 tile room, the setup would look like this. First you dig out the room, and make sure you have a short 1 tile wide passageway leading to the water source (don't dig out the tile that will start the water flow).

+++++++++
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; + (water source)
    +; ; ; ; ; +++
    +++++++++

;=cavern floor

Then:

1. Build a floodgate (the X on the right there) in that 1 tile hallway, and build a lever outside of the room somewhere, and link it up.
    2. Pull the lever so the floodgate is open
    3. Build a second floodgate where the X is on the left there and link it to a lever. Your dwarves might get retarded and trap themselves, but if you have a lever linked to it you can open the floodgate for them.
    4. Open both floodgates
    5. Have a dwarf dig through the last remaining tile
    6. Your dwarf will now run his stubby little legs off away from the rushing water.
    7. As soon as your mining dwarf is out of there (or even before), have someone pull the lever that closes the floodgate on the left, closing it. Have a dwarf with just mechanics turned on, it helps.

+++++++++
    X ; ; ~~~~~~ (water source)
    + ; ; ; ~~+++
    +++++++++

8. Wait for the room to fill to 7/7
    9. Close the right floodgate and open the left. Exactly 70 units of water will fill the room you want to a perfect 1/7, irrigating it all.

+++++++++
    ~~~~~~X~~ (water source)
    +~~~~~+++
    +++++++++

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You can just have a floodgate near the river, then tunnel, then farming room, then another floodgate and opening to big room a level down or out the side of the mountain or something. Open the floodgate controlling the river for a wee bit then close it (it doesn't take much water to cover every tile) then open the exit floodgate and let it all drain out instead of having to carefully build a reservoir and all that.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    so uh... can one order a dwarf to attack another dwarf? >_>

Don't think so, unfortunately.
    I really wanted to kill Druhim before he fucked up arsenic in the LP I failed to finish ><

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    In 3 weeks time, I'm almost out of action for 2 weeks, exams and what not. So. If I've not played by then I'm going to drop myself to the very bottom of the order and leave you guys to figure out who is next and so on! I have confidence in you guys you're not retarded!

Except some of you, some of me are.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fallout killed the thread!

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    if he posts the fortress, I'll get on it as soon as I can, but it may be a few days, as I'm expecting to receive the parts for my new computer tonight and will be busy assembling it and getting it all up and running today and likely tomorrow, as well.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i ruin everything

so yeah uh sorry for killing the thread, i guess i just don't have this in me. here's the rest of what i got:

Then the day came that Atesh snuck out to the half-finished bridge and Rovod was not there. This was not unusual, Rovod was usually 5 to 60 minutes late, but today he had not shown up after three hours. Curious about his comrade's disappearance, he left his abducted pile of claystone at the building site and and headed for Rovod's room.

picture3mi3.png

Holy stonethrowing sturgeons! Rovod was in bed with... Mistem Nitigtun, the cook! Another man!? (okay so i just noticed that Rovod is a girl but fuck it, gay dwarves are funnier.)

...yeah. bridge is almost done, the fortress was pretty overwhelming so i didn't do much for fear of fucking something up. It's only like, summer, so rank i guess you can play until spring or do that and then another year, whatever you want. Sorry dudes!

http://files.filefront.com/SE+Bloodlineszip/;10203864;/fileinfo.html

You might have to switch graphics to off in the init file, depending on whether or not you're using tilesets and which.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    I'm using the same tileset as you.

I've got the parts for my new computer sitting on my desk at home, so that will get all my attention tonight, but I'll get on this as quick as I can.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    excellent

sorry 'bout that, that was way harder to do than i expected

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Reuploading and linking in OP. Shit be moving on!

Take your time rank. Gonna throw you my copy / pastable PM I guess. It might have something useful written in it, I really can't remember.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fallout:
    In your zip there is a __MACOSX folder, a save folder and an init folder, inside the __MACOSX there is another save folder and init folder, is the correct save in the base directory? Or in the one inside the MACOSX.

Because I don't know exactly which fort would be your finished one.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Uh... I have no idea. Those aren't showing up inside my copy of the zip, just the init and save folders.

O_o

My save would be the one with Rovod, Atesh and one other dwarf inside Rovod's room.

Oh and rank i forgot to name atesh after myself, go ahead and do that if you like

edit: rovod's room :oops:

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    Uh... I have no idea. Those aren't showing up inside my copy of the zip, just the init and save folders.

O_o

My save would be the one with Rovod, Atesh and one other dwarf inside Rovod's room.

Oh and rank i forgot to name atesh after myself, go ahead and do that if you like

edit: rovod's room :oops:

Your file had zero downloads before me so I'll do it after I check it and reupload it and PM on to rank.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    kk

<3

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Man this is confusing as shit, the only save I can find in there, the one inside the __MACOSX folder, had like, nothing in the save folder.
    Only has two dwarves in that room, the engraver you said to name after you (which I didn't I'll let rank do it because I don't even know if this is the right save), had gone to get a drink, were both the dwarves you were talking about in that bed maimed in some way?
    Or like, at least one of them maimed, I forget.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    two of the dwarves should be occupying the same space

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I'll pass it on, keep your old download link up though, in case I have fucked this totally, didn't change anything in my repack, just weirded out.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Who just got through the aquifier in the game he is playing ?
    This guy
    First time I've bothered to start on a map with an aquifier, it has lots of obsidian down below the water, haven't found other ores yet though. Wait I found Galena but that isn't iron or anything awesome. Just silver / lead.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So how'd you get through it?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dig down a huge channel above it so it is open to the air in a 5x5 area, wait for all of those 25 squares to freeze, channel down on the 8 squares around the middle and build walls in the holes that the channel made, and have stairs on the middle square, I channeled down one more and built walls there too, but it was rock there, I don't think I really needed to, I'm just afraid of water seeping diagonally down or something, probably wouldn't happen but now I have two z levels with a square of walls and stairs down, and I recapped the ceiling above the room I opened to freeze, and rebuilt floors there.

I'm also training a siege engineer up, still only got 7 dwarves, did this first winter. But I've got a set up for 3 ballistas to fire down 3 separate 1 width corridors that you need to pass through to get to my base. They could go the trade depot way before, but they can't now because I built vertical bars and linked them up to a lever so I can open / drop them. I don't think thieves can fit through bars at least, and I don't think trolls can bend them either. I hope not at least.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh, freezing. Psh. Real men (and dwarves) play on aquifer maps in warm climates with no volcanic activity.

And I think trolls can destroy bars, since they're buildings.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I tried an aquifer map in a warm climate, made a huge ass cavern and tried to drain the aquifer into it to let it evaporate. Lagged like hell so I gave up, then looked up the wiki and found out that aquifers have an infinite amount of water. Apparently you can pump water out faster than it comes in, allowing you to dry out a big enough area to build walls around. I haven't tried, because it seems like far too much effort.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I haven't bothered playing with anything that uses power yet, I'm all about crazy patterns and things.

Also Bahamut, can trolls destroy walls then O.o, or can they not destroy constructions, or something. Because otherwise it seems like they'd be able to just smash through an entire fortress if you ever had to destroy the natural walls and rebuild them. I think I might have to get rid of the bars an exchange them for a bridge of some kind.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    When your miner keeps going into the "to be" moat because there is a meeting zone, which is through a wall mind you, and then goes in there by wading through some water which was dribbling in to fill the moat, then drowning because he was "on break" and too stupid to fucking save himself or dig his own way out and the other miner was too far away.
    That is code for abandon fortress.
    It was a good map too.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who's up next?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rank is playing at the moment, I've given him the option of finishing the seasons fallout didn't play, and ending there, or playing out those and his own, so it still ends at a distinct time of year. So he has super-extra-lenient even by my standards time to finish playing. Then Redfenix then Chico and then you.
    List is spoilered in OP by the way.

stimtokolos on