Options

Mysteries are Solved in this [Chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the problem is my right sinus is congested and I *feel* like the left side of my body is inflating faster than my right but I could just be thrown off because of the sinus problem.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit I think....I think I've just worked out a cultural influences reason for differences in female life sciences choices. And I think it's backed up by the data.

Where the hell is cat when I need her.

Or anyone who does feminist studies?

You can ask me.

Okay.

Firstly, there were none, zero, no significant differences in male vs female general intelligence measures. So it can't be that mvsf are dumber smarter. At all.

So with that in mind:

We found significant gender differences in all measures of our knowledge in sciences measures and these differences favoured males (Math, Chemistry, Physics, Info Tech) except for Biology, where there was no difference. In the humanities, no difference except for Social Sciences, against a life science related high school subject, and this one favoured females.

This study also investigated some personality and interest (so motivation) factors and unexpectedly found a female increase in "investigative", a motivational factor.

But, I noticed 50% of the investigative questions were related to Biological terms instead of "investigation" type terms. So not properly randomised "sciency" terms in the questions.

So I went looking and found some studies indicating gender preferences even from an early age in subject choice for females to life sciences and males to physical sciences. Only all the ones I found are american.

There's more to this, a lot more but.

Well it's taken me like four weeks to understand this fully so that'd be a long post.

What I want is you to trust me and tell me where I can look for more information on theories of social influences on australian/american women. Ones saying they are similar would be great.

I don't understand. Isn't this already an accepted position? Male and Female students have different aptitudes from a much earlier age than high school, due to cultural influences?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I actually like this Genki thing. This uh Darkplace Hospital thing.

Drez on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    More ETID for your viewing/listening pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HC57eXtbs0&NR=1

"Let me hear her high heels moan. I'm ready, set, go.
    There's cocaine in the key that took us from the bar to her car to the bedroom.
    Only the lonesome love us. Only the careless can handle us.
    What's wrong with us that we're so unamused?"
    :whistle:

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I think the problem is my right sinus is congested and I *feel* like the left side of my body is inflating faster than my right but I could just be thrown off because of the sinus problem.

If there is pressure on your lung from fluid due to infection, you can get get a collapsed lung (also called pneumothorax).

It usually presents as shortness of breath and a fucking killer pain in your side or chest.

I know this because I've had it.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    oh god at first I thought this read 'gejinka'

then I'd have to link

ridiculous pokemon gejinka rap

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Holy shit I think....I think I've just worked out a cultural influences reason for differences in female life sciences choices. And I think it's backed up by the data.

You can ask me.

Okay.

Firstly, there were none, zero, no significant differences in male vs female general intelligence measures. So it can't be that mvsf are dumber smarter. At all.

So with that in mind:

We found significant gender differences in all measures of our knowledge in sciences measures and these differences favoured males (Math, Chemistry, Physics, Info Tech) except for Biology, where there was no difference. In the humanities, no difference except for Social Sciences, against a life science related high school subject, and this one favoured females.

This study also investigated some personality and interest (so motivation) factors and unexpectedly found a female increase in "investigative", a motivational factor.

But, I noticed 50% of the investigative questions were related to Biological terms instead of "investigation" type terms. So not properly randomised "sciency" terms in the questions.

So I went looking and found some studies indicating gender preferences even from an early age in subject choice for females to life sciences and males to physical sciences. Only all the ones I found are american.

Well it's taken me like four weeks to understand this fully so that'd be a long post.

What I want is you to trust me and tell me where I can look for more information on theories of social influences on australian/american women. Ones saying they are similar would be great.

I don't understand. Isn't this already an accepted position? Male and Female students have different aptitudes from a much earlier age than high school, due to cultural influences?

No you don't understand.

One field of psych is as different from another as night and day, in terms of methodology, theory, conclusions and research interests.

I know what you mean but the only thing that holds psych together as a whole is statistics.

that's about it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    oh god why did I do that, the pokemon gejinka are irresistibly adorable

superdorable, even

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    This is actually a pretty decent movie.

What are you watching?

The Devil's Chair

For a direct to DVD horror, it's pretty awesome.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If one of your lungs was seriously fucked, you'd know. You wouldn't be around thinking "maybe there's something wrong".

Like when I poisoned myself with laboratory chemicals. I wasn't really sitting around thinking "is something wrong?" - well I was, but then I looked in the mirror and said "oh fuck".

This should be a sticky in H/A - Is your question medical? Is it obvious there's a problem? No? Then there probably isn't. Stop looking things up on the internet.

I remember getting phenol all over my hands in a first year lab.

It was one of the cooler things i've done.

The whole top skin layer died, but didnt malt off. It was like when you let PVA glue dry on you, except it was skin. I had a white hand for like 2 days before it broke and i peeled it off.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

If there is pressure on your lung from fluid due to infection, you can get get a collapsed lung (also called pneumothorax).

It usually presents as shortness of breath and a fucking killer pain in your side or chest.

Er is that temporary?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    oh god at first I thought this read 'gejinka'

then I'd have to link

ridiculous pokemon gejinka rap

Reminds me of Graal.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

You can ask me.

Okay.

So with that in mind:

No you don't understand.

One field of psych is as different from another as night and day, in terms of methodology, theory, conclusions and research interests.

I know what you mean but the only thing that holds psych together as a whole is statistics.

that's about it.

I understand stats just fine. Why don't you explain rather than assume your listener knows nothing?

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Er is that temporary?
    Collapsed lungs require treatment to be, uh, reinflated?, as far as I know.

However, acute chest pain, proximal to the lungs, is still very serious even when fleeting or infrequent. A GP will be able to tell you very confidently whether something is abnormal or not, though usually not what exactly; it's worth the trip if you can schedule one soon and have the cash. :)

Don't screw with upper respiratory illness! I had this cough for like six months and it turned out I had some wacky bird pathogen. With the right antibiotic, though? Cleared right up!

And so can you!!

EDIT: Apparently, minor collapses will remedy themselves eventually if the causative condition doesn't progress. Cool!

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Er is that temporary?

If you get it you know about it. And then you go to hospital and get it fixed with antibiotics and stuff.

I'm sure you're fine.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah um I have to back everyone here. You will definitely know if you have lost a lung. However you may not know if a lung is not working at complete efficiency.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I just took this gross dissolving Benadryl allergy thing.

I guess we'll see.

I was worried because I had that shoulder pain all yesterday and I felt like this yesterday too, but the pain is mostly gone today. Ah well... I have really fucked up sinuses and it throws me off sometimes.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I just took this gross dissolving Benadryl allergy thing.

I guess we'll see.

I was worried because I had that shoulder pain all yesterday and I felt like this yesterday too, but the pain is mostly gone today. Ah well... I have really fucked up sinuses and it throws me off sometimes.

Stop wanking so much.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You can ask me.

Okay.

So with that in mind:

No you don't understand.

that's about it.

I understand stats just fine. Why don't you explain rather than assume your listener knows nothing?

I was saying that they use statistics. Ie. There's not much similar about them since statistics is meaningless by itself.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think if I had to name a major influence on my life it'd be my dad. My relationship with him is kind of weird, but the best formative influence was his commitment to DIY and the cautious spending of money, which means I never really became consumerist in my attitudes. He's always happy to buy a tool, but not a disposable item if he can avoid it and I think it shows. I mean, all my desired hobby acquisitions are tools to allow me to do awesome stuff more easily - the best expensive thing's I've bought are a Mig welder and a CRO (outside of my computers).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBDAunPkSAY

Aphex Twin is also amazing.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think if I had to name a major influence on my life it'd be my dad. My relationship with him is kind of weird, but the best formative influence was his commitment to DIY and the cautious spending of money, which means I never really became consumerist in my attitudes. He's always happy to buy a tool, but not a disposable item if he can avoid it and I think it shows. I mean, all my desired hobby acquisitions are tools to allow me to do awesome stuff more easily - the best expensive thing's I've bought are a Mig welder and a CRO (outside of my computers).

You said Mig and I thought

air_mig-29_lg.jpg

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My grandfather was the tool guy, even once his memory started going and he was constantly wracked by some complication of diabetes, my father was calling him over to take care of whatever DIY needed to be done. :P

My father also had a fear of heights, though, since he fell like fourteen feet off a tree while pruning it when he was younger ... and into the ivy patch my grandfather keeps in front of his house (yes, he had one of those lawns made of ivy instead of grass). Only broke his arm! Lucky git.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man, that reminds me of summer afternoons spent at my grandparents'. The neighbor's front lawn was like catnip to cicada killers, so there was constantly these enormous death-looking wasps flitting around. D:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Here's something somewhat personal. The one lady who liked me during high school that i ended up ignoring for more lofty and unobtainable goals still speaks to me quite a deal. I can't quite figure out how to tell her i'm sorry for being an oblivious asshole.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Here's something somewhat personal. The one lady who liked me during high school that i ended up ignoring for more lofty and unobtainable goals still speaks to me quite a deal. I can't quite figure out how to tell her i'm sorry for being an oblivious asshole.
    If you really can't let it lie, just bring it up tongue-in-cheek. It's probably one of the opportunities where a good grasp of how to be self-deprecating without bringing down the mood really shines.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

That seems like a good start.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Have sex with her.

Also I just thought of why we'd use bipedal mechs in war in the future: because if you build a suit of powered armor, then it's a short retrofit of all those strength improving servos to being able to use it as a fully robotic soldier.

Also, you could repurpose them as prisons if you made it hard to get out of - shove someone in there and leave the AI running for movement.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    If you really can't let it lie, just bring it up tongue-in-cheek. It's probably one of the opportunities where a good grasp of how to be self-deprecating without bringing down the mood really shines.

Like I actually know how to handle social situations which actually require character and can not be manipulated through guile, craft, and lies.

Don't forget you are talking to the person who has never had a relationship despite many odd and intimate encounters. And said person is to deal with the lady who is all studious and non-alcoholic that for some strange reason found herself enamored with said oblivious person.

i'm bad at this. and i feel bad. as i should.

ELM, The lady is a virgin. Classy and such.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

air_mig-29_lg.jpg

High five, me too.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Alright, I've been putting off recasing my laptop for too long. The egg cartons I used first went two weeks or so -- the shoebox lasted a good month and a half. I'm building this next, and hopefully final, iteration out of the cardboard casing that our new flooring was delivered in. Toughest thing I was able to find short of that flooring itself or an equivalent. :P

Away for a bit while I put it together, loves~~

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

air_mig-29_lg.jpg

High five, me too.

See, I thought:

2SilverMig17.jpg

I should watch less Dogfights!

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I think you should take a leaf out a hollywood movie.

The two of you formulate a plan for you to chase some girl way out of your legue.... Several plot holes later you and the hot girl are at the dance and you have a fight of some sort, most probably involving her ex boyfriend. Your friend then come over to console you and you get the speech about "Alot of girls...." "Who.." "Me..." <Kiss>.

Then you carry her off into the sunset to a large cheer from your high school cohort while the band plays.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

The two of you formulate a plan for you to chase some girl way out of your legue.... Several plot holes later you and the hot girl are at the dance and you have a fight of some sort, most probably involving her ex boyfriend. Your friend then come over to console you and you get the speech about "Alot of girls...." "Who.." "Me..." <Kiss>.

Then you carry her off into the sunset to a large cheer from your high school cohort while the band plays.

So in other words a complicated plan to let her tell him because he doesn't have the guts?

Nice advice.

Just tell her DUE.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Like I actually know how to handle social situations which actually require character and can not be manipulated through guile, craft, and lies.

Don't forget you are talking to the person who has never had a relationship despite many odd and intimate encounters. And said person is to deal with the lady who is all studious and non-alcoholic that for some strange reason found herself enamored with said oblivious person.

i'm bad at this. and i feel bad. as i should.

ELM, The lady is a virgin. Classy and such.
    Why the hell is she still talking to you? Maybe you should introduce her to a nice friend of yours or something.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

So in other words a complicated plan to let her tell him because he doesn't have the guts?

Nice advice.

Just tell her DUE.
    I think this is the best plan. In fact I think most girl problems can be solved by this, for better or worse.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Nice advice.

Just tell her DUE.

It's not so much that. It's more of a situation where I ignored her for quite some time and now we're both at separate colleges but we contact each other reguarly and I don't think a "whoops" quite covers a few years of being a dick.

In other news a random dude downstairs wants to go out for breakfast. So i'm off.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Okay, this is longer and an inch or so taller than I'll have it eventually, but it's workable. Doing the rest of the cutting right now would probably wake Megan and her cousin, so I'll settle for a case so oversized that I can no longer fit my mousepad on the desk. :P

But hey, it keeps it clean and cool!

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Err what i posted was meant as a joke, not actual advice.

I think i need a disclaimer or something in my sig.

"The content of the above post is more than likely stupid, where possible, do the oposite"

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote:
    Okay, this is longer and an inch or so taller than I'll have it eventually, but it's workable.
    :winky:

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
This discussion has been closed.