As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Studio 60

• Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    well, it's not that i already watch like 15 shows... damnit. and a friend just convinced me to watch Entourage, so i guess i have to watch Deadwood now as well. And i never made a mistake by watching an HBO Show so far.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Prepare yourself for swearing. Like, a lot of swearing. Like you get slapped for accidentally referring to a female friend as a "silly cunt" because the word has lot all meaning to you as an insult. Also everyone and everything will become a cocksucker.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Swimming BirdSwimming Bird __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    After licking a poison toad:
    Wow, I finally understand Aaron Sorkin's Sports Night. It's a comedy that's too good to be funny

Swimming Bird on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    After licking a poison toad:
    Wow, I finally understand Aaron Sorkin's Sports Night. It's a comedy that's too good to be funny

God I remember the days when Family Guy wasn't shit so fondly.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    The series has been officially canceled, and NBC will start running the rest of the episodes starting Thursday, May 24, at 9:00 PM Central.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey at least we get to see the rest of the season.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    man, the cancelation was rising on the horizon, but i still hoped, they would renew it... well, small chance that the last couple of episodes get great ratings? ;)

how many episodes left?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    and when they hell are they going to be on?

Snork on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    look 3 postings above:

...NBC will start running the rest of the episodes starting Thursday, May 24, at 9:00 PM Central.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey dudes, the show is starting.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Grah, I was busy tonight and didn't really get to watch it intently.

It did seem much better than I remembered. This may have been because of the lack of a certain duo and the addition of an awesome West Winger....

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

It did seem much better than I remembered. This may have been because of the lack of a certain duo and the addition of an awesome West Winger....

Ack, I should've known better than to peek in here before watching it... now I'm gonna be wondering who the "addition" was until I get a chance to watch it!

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If it's who I think he's talking about it's not an addition it's a guest star and honestly, she didn't really do much but then she didn't really have a whole lot to do other than look flustered.

Actually the whole show last night didn't do much. I mean still some good jokes and diolague but it just felt like the episode didn't really go anywhere. Of course this could also just be me knowing the show is cancelled =\

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Despite not showing up in the menu anymore, Studio 60 is still available online for those of you that missed it last night.

http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full_episodes/studio60.shtml

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Nerissa wrote: »

Ack, I should've known better than to peek in here before watching it... now I'm gonna be wondering who the "addition" was until I get a chance to watch it!

You'll know five seconds into the show. It was just nice to see them playing a different role.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I totally could tell who it was just from the voice when my parents were watching it when I was in the shower. I love how she played her actual self, too. Made her interactions with Cal so weird.

All in all though, I don't think this episode was very good. I think Matt and Danny being gone kind of made it go nowhere.

Snork on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    Made her interactions with Cal so weird.

OK, that kinda gives it away -- you might as well say the name now. :P

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    the episode was kind of a filler... but i liked the opening of the guest star, that she actually said "New York" and "SNL". I never thought of an existing SNL in the Studio 60 Universe, i always thought of it as:
    "we mean SNL but we can't name it like that, but that's what we are supposed to be yknow - and we just put it in another city"

didn't you guys?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No, not really. In the first episode Matt says he'd rather have Loren's office and Danny replies that Loren's office is in New York and he's still using it. Then in another episode the writers are talking and one of them mentions how SNL did a sketch about Jordan's life with her ex less than 24 hours after they did nothing.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Slow episode, but I liked it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Interesting meta-dialogue with regard to ratings.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Handgimp wrote: »

Eh, kinda. As a message to the actors in Studio 60 I liked it, as Sorkin kinda being a dick to the network executives after his show bombed it was kinda dickish.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    they aired another one? I thought the disaster show was it. awesome.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    they aired another one? I thought the disaster show was it. awesome.

They have 4 more to air.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    oh, sweet.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Isn't it only two more after last nights?

The more I keep watching these last episodes, the more I realize how much I'm going to miss this show.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bolthorn wrote: »

No, I meant four more after last night's.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »

Cool, so I get a bit more of it than I originally thought.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »

Cool, so I get a bit more of it than I originally thought.

It turns out that it's 5, not 4.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So I missed tonight's episode because my dish decided to crap out until 11 PM.

:x

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Handgimp wrote: »

Eh, kinda. As a message to the actors in Studio 60 I liked it, as Sorkin kinda being a dick to the network executives after his show bombed it was kinda dickish.

Actually going by the ratings the show didn't bomb. It just wasn't the huge success it was the network expected. Going by the numbers Studio 60 should have been renewed over 30 rock but it was a victim of it's own hype.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The wife and I were watching a DVD and completely forgot all about it. Darnit. I tried NBC.com, but it seems as if their link just reloads that same page instead of taking you to the Studio 60 page.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was told that this is the single most expensive tv show ever...

Any truth to that? I'm wondering why that would be. I mean they get celebrity appearances, but not every show, and sometimes the appearances are really brief(jenna fischer).

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    I was told that this is the single most expensive tv show ever...

Any truth to that? I'm wondering why that would be. I mean they get celebrity appearances, but not every show, and sometimes the appearances are really brief(jenna fischer).

Not even close. It's about as expensive as west wing or any other "non explosion filled" drama on tv. Personally I think it would be a little cheaper just because NBC could reuse a lot of SNL stuff prop wise and film it in the SNL off season.

Lost is the most expensive show on television as of now, a combination of casting, special effects, and the amazingly high price of production in Hawaii. I think 24 comes in a close second, but some of the shows on FX aren't too far behind.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Too expensive was basically NBCs excuse and quite frankly I don't buy it for a second.

There appears to be a lot of reasons. Part of it was probably NBC having to share ownership of Studio 60 with Warner Bros whereas with 30 Rock they own it outright. I actually suspect this is the primary reason the show was ended. Networks are run by money and they really don't like sharing.

I've also heard rumors that Loren Michaels took the start of the show as kind of a personal insult and that combined with the fact that Tina Fey is the creator of 30 Rock convinced him to throw all of his weight behind 30 Rock and specifically against Studio 60. Obviously this is very unconfirmable so take it with a grain of salt (see: entire salt shaker and possibly the bag used to fill it).

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    how are the ratings for the "new" episodes? any hope left?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Haven't seen the numbers but I suspect not great. People know it's canceled and I wouldn't be suprised to find that many who watched it before aren't even aware it's airing at this point.

As far as hope goes the sets were being/have been taken down and I'm sure Sorkin has a very sour taste in his mouth after all of this. I doubt anything short of a miracle would help at this point.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    should have been an HBO show damnit.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Its been picked up over here in the UK, not sure if that has any weight at all with regards to 'ratings'. Would have thought other networks picking it up would earn them a lot more than any particular advertiser (unless it got picked up because it was cheap).

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Its been picked up over here in the UK, not sure if that has any weight at all with regards to 'ratings'. Would have thought other networks picking it up would earn them a lot more than any particular advertiser (unless it got picked up because it was cheap).

Picked up, but still none of it has been shown or even scheduled. Unless I've missed some news. Please say I've missed some news?

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185