Options

Studio 60

• Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    jclast wrote:
    I think my favorite part was Matt's office.

[spoiler:9db40ec656]It always knows.[/spoiler:9db40ec656]
    lol, yeah, that was a good one too... especially at the very end

Nerissa on
  • Options
    OfficiousGOfficiousG Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Nerissa wrote:
    I don't think actually showing the "Crazy Christians" scketch would have been a good idea.

I'm sure we'll see it next week. They didn't make some weird committment to have each episode be about exactly one episode of the show within a show, did they?

OfficiousG on
    labsigbig.jpg
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I can't believe they said some of the shit they said in the song. It was awesome.

Snork on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Snork wrote:
    I can't believe they said some of the shit they said in the song. It was awesome.

i just watched it, and I was thinking "this would never happen but it's fucking great".

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for bumping this. You reminded me of the kindness of Canadians.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The third ep was on here last night. Not bad, if a little slight. And Sorkin needs a new punching bag.

[spoiler:a6a409d03c]That quiz show sketch was pedantically awful[/spoiler:a6a409d03c]

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    The third ep was on here last night. Not bad, if a little slight. And Sorkin needs a new punching bag.

[spoiler:887cabdcde]That quiz show sketch was pedantically awful[/spoiler:887cabdcde]

[spoiler:887cabdcde]Agreed. I think it was supposed to be a little unfunny to make us sympathetic with Harriet but it was just horrible.

The episode had a much better second half than first.[/spoiler:887cabdcde]

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    hopefully I will download it tommorow. I'm behind on my TV because I can't remember when shit is on. I tried making a schedule but I think some of the information on it is wrong.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm bumping this so I can say "Watch it tonight." I really enjoyed this weeks episode and it may have been the best one so far.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Nerissa wrote:
    I don't think actually showing the "Crazy Christians" scketch would have been a good idea. The amount of hype they gave it between the pilot and this week's show was just too much, it could never live up to it if we actually SAW it.

Sorkin shows don't show everything. Their focus is on the behind the scenes aspect. So it's reasonable to not expect to see the focus of a lot of the hype in the character's lives. The sketch was the focus of the show (studio 60 -nbs) and so the show (studio 60 - nbc) wasn't going to show it.

I like that sentence.

It's Sorkin. So don't expect to see the things the show (studio 60 - nbs) is about but rather the things the show (studio 60 -nbc) is about.

I like doing that.

_J_ on
  • Options
    urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The second episode i think it was which was their shows first episode when they did the cold opening i was telling my grandmother how good the show was since she liked west wing i said she would like this one and then that song came on and i was like oh my god they just sang about a reach around and i laughed beside my grandmother.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    Nerissa wrote:
    I don't think actually showing the "Crazy Christians" scketch would have been a good idea. The amount of hype they gave it between the pilot and this week's show was just too much, it could never live up to it if we actually SAW it.

Sorkin shows don't show everything. Their focus is on the behind the scenes aspect. So it's reasonable to not expect to see the focus of a lot of the hype in the character's lives. The sketch was the focus of the show (studio 60 -nbs) and so the show (studio 60 - nbc) wasn't going to show it.

I like that sentence.

It's Sorkin. So don't expect to see the things the show (studio 60 - nbs) is about but rather the things the show (studio 60 -nbc) is about.

I like doing that.

Studio 60 (NBC) isn't about Studio 60 (NBS) at all. Just like Sports Night (ABC?) wasn't about Sports Night (CSC). It's about the people that happen to work there.

Studio 60 (NBS) is the setting; the characters are what Sorkin is writing and what he's trying to get you to care about.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    jclast wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    Nerissa wrote:

I like that sentence.

I like doing that.

Studio 60 (NBC) isn't about Studio 60 (NBS) at all. Just like Sports Night (ABC?) wasn't about Sports Night (CSC). It's about the people that happen to work there.

Studio 60 (NBS) is the setting; the characters are what Sorkin is writing and what he's trying to get you to care about.

Right. But the point still stands that Sorkin isn't necessarily going to show the "big number" or whatever in an episode if it doesn't impact the character or the plot.

Also, yeah, Sports Night was on ABC.

_J_ on
  • Options
    urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So since tonights episode

[spoiler:05586226ef]With the kid about the United Nation show, will that make two shows this Show will focus on?[/spoiler:05586226ef]

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    killamajigkillamajig Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    not to derail, but...

I'm here to inspect the chicken nuggets.

killamajig on
    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    urbman wrote:

[spoiler:e424970b5a]With the kid about the United Nation show, will that make two shows this Show will focus on?[/spoiler:e424970b5a]

I hope not.

Also, I've only watched Sorkin shows after I could watch the entire first season on DVD. But, does it seem to anyone else like Stuido 60 is moving slowly? We're 4...I think 4...4 episodes in and the only substantial continuing plot points are:

Relationship between blonde actress and writer
    President's ex husband publishing a book
    Reporter doing story on the cast

And...it just doesn't seem Sorkin yet. It seems to be good but without a substance at the center holding it all together.

Sports Night had the continuing battle against the network. West Wing had..hell...MS, re-election, zoey/charlie, etc.

Stuido 60 doesn't have that nugget of Sorkin at the center that compells each episode.

Or maybe it's just me.

_J_ on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, but how many episodes did it take before West Wing introduced the MS problem? Before that it was just a bunch of little battles taking place, that would MAYBE span 1-2 eps at most. He waited until 3/4 of the way through the season for a story arc that would tie together the last 1/4 of that season, and the first few episodes of the next season.

And I can't believe I actually MISSED it last night! I guess I know what I'm doing for lunch today.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    urbman wrote:

[spoiler:a260d66608]With the kid about the United Nation show, will that make two shows this Show will focus on?[/spoiler:a260d66608]

I hope not.

Also, I've only watched Sorkin shows after I could watch the entire first season on DVD. But, does it seem to anyone else like Stuido 60 is moving slowly? We're 4...I think 4...4 episodes in and the only substantial continuing plot points are:

Relationship between blonde actress and writer
    President's ex husband publishing a book
    Reporter doing story on the cast

And...it just doesn't seem Sorkin yet. It seems to be good but without a substance at the center holding it all together.

Sports Night had the continuing battle against the network. West Wing had..hell...MS, re-election, zoey/charlie, etc.

Stuido 60 doesn't have that nugget of Sorkin at the center that compells each episode.

Or maybe it's just me.

Well, the Vanity Fair story has lasted 2 episodes already, and she'll be back in 2 weeks. Jordan's husband writing a book could last longer, and I think that we've already got conflict:[spoiler:a260d66608]Jordan vs. the NBS chairman. I particularly liked their blowout this episode over the reality television show. I could see this lasting through the entire show because she's looking to class up the network and he's looking for the quick buck every time.[/spoiler:a260d66608]

There's also the ongoing Matt/Harriet relationshiop, which you mentioned, but I think that's something very Sorkin. Sports Night had Casey and Dana, and it worked very well.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Y2KY2K Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    i absolutely LOVE studio 60. it has quickly become one of my favorite shows on television. i missed it last night cause my awesome VCR recorded black. but it is tivo'd at the parent's house.

i work in live television and so i'm especially interested in this show just because the whole 'live' aspect is extremely fascinating to me. not only that, but i LOVE the actors in this show. i don't really like amanda peet, but luckily i don't have to see her too much.

such a good show.

Y2K on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Those of you that missed it: if you happen to have an Intel-based processor you can watch last night's episode at NBC.com with very little commercial interruption. I think I may quit taping it and just watch on my Tuesday lunch break from now on.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    oh nbc has it on their website? well then. now i don't have to wait a week to watch it at the parent's house.

Y2K on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oh man, first episode was stellar, but the show is getting progressively worse with each successive episode.
    And the newest bits of the show within the show were worse than SNL.
    I dont think it will last a full season.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    muninn wrote:
    Oh man, first episode was stellar, but the show is getting progressively worse with each successive episode.
    And the newest bits of the show within the show were worse than SNL.
    I dont think it will last a full season.

It's no West Wing.

But we have to give them at least half a season...

Well, we don't "have to", but it would be nice.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    [Sports Night had the continuing battle against the network. West Wing had..hell...MS, re-election, zoey/charlie, etc.
    Yeah, West Wing had all that...over several seasons, you twit. Pretty much the only thing carrying through the first 4 eps of West Wing was "Sam's fucking a call-girl" and even that didn't develop much until later in the season.

Studio 60 hasn't blown several seasons worth of plotlines in its first four episodes. Jesus christ, what a brilliant observation, _J_.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    [Sports Night had the continuing battle against the network. West Wing had..hell...MS, re-election, zoey/charlie, etc.
    Yeah, West Wing had all that...over several seasons, you twit. Pretty much the only thing carrying through the first 4 eps of West Wing was "Sam's fucking a call-girl" and even that didn't develop much until later in the season.

Studio 60 hasn't blown several seasons worth of plotlines in its first four episodes. Jesus christ, what a brilliant observation, _J_.

There's nothing drawing the entire cast together yet, there's no point of ensemble.

_J_ on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    There's nothing drawing the entire cast together yet, there's no point of ensemble.

While I agree to an extent, I think the relationships between the characters, the one-on-one time, works very well. Matt and Danny, Danny and Jordan, Jordan and Jack, Matt and Harriet, they're all great little microcosms that are part of a bigger picture. There's a hierarchy in the show-within-the-show that has to be defined by the separation of people. Jack won't come down and complain to Harriet about a sketch, he's going to take it to Jordan.

I would definitely like to see more conversations involving three or more people. That scene at the table at the awards banquet in the pilot was just yummy.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    i haven't gotten bored with the show yet. but i do agree the pilot was the best episode thus far.

oh, and i love your sig pic.

Y2K on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    As we walk in fields of gold...

Fucking godfucking damn shit cock, I would have sex with Sting just because of him writing that song.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    The Onion has a good article up about Studio 60:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54117

_J_ on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    As we walk in fields of gold...

Fucking godfucking damn shit cock, I would have sex with Sting just because of him writing that song.
    Interestingly, I thought his accent came through a lot more than it normally does when he sings. Maybe something about the atmosphere created by a lute that makes him work less to suppress it?

Nerissa on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited October 2006
    'Friday Night Lights' Gets Monday Tryout
    NBC will try to give its struggling drama "Friday Night Lights" an extra boost later this month by airing after the network's most successful new show.

On Monday, Oct. 30, NBC will air an original "Lights" episode at 10 p.m. ET, following "Heroes"; the episode will then repeat in the show's normal 8 p.m. Tuesday spot on Oct. 31. "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," which usually airs at 10 p.m. Mondays (and was scheduled for a repeat that night), will get a week off.
    D:

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    something they actually discussed on the show was holding on to new viewers... I read today that their first week was something like 13.6 million viewers and it's dropped to 7 million now.

Did I read that in this thread?

Variable on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2006
    Well wikipedia has a good rundown on the ratings. They are holding steady at 9% which is just simply not enough.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    The problem is it's not going anywhere. It's brilliantly acted, and entertaining, but nothing really attention-grabbing is happening.

When Matt and his ex (I can't even remember her name :?) had that moment at the end of this week's episode, I thought it touching, but I honestly am having a hard time caring about any of the characters. Something needs to happen... it can't just be a comfortable rhythm with allusions to political and religious controversy in every episode.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I actually think it can, for me and I assume some other viewers, but obviously not for enough people.

It's not like the shows that are huge right now. Most of what I've heard is worth watching this season (and what I have continued to watch from last season) are dramas that you need to keep watching to follow a story and characters. Generally speaking i think that's a good thing, I prefer a show that requires an investment from me to know who I'm dealing with and what they are dealing with, but for a show like this it hurts because I don't think it's designed to be a show like that, and this year most of all I think it's going to be hurt ratings-wise because of it.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    The problem is it's not going anywhere. It's brilliantly acted, and entertaining, but nothing really attention-grabbing is happening.

When Matt and his ex (I can't even remember her name :?) had that moment at the end of this week's episode, I thought it touching, but I honestly am having a hard time caring about any of the characters. Something needs to happen... it can't just be a comfortable rhythm with allusions to political and religious controversy in every episode.

It's not going anywhere yet. It's only been on for, what, four weeks? Give it some time to get the ball rolling.

And Matt's ex's name is Harriet.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    jclast wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:

It's not going anywhere yet. It's only been on for, what, four weeks? Give it some time to get the ball rolling.

Hi, my name's Kidnapped and I've been highly praised as a new critcal smash for NBC. I'm going to really up the old quality on NBC and they're very supportive. You can catch me at Wednesday at...oh wait, you can't.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    jclast wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:

I'm not condemning them. And thanks for the reminder; I had forgotten.

The whole point is yes, we both agree it isn't going anywhere. This is a problem; if only because it won't get the ratings it needs to even continue any length of time.

I'm fine with waiting. Is the viewership? Probably not.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    jclast wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:

Hi, my name's Kidnapped and I've been highly praised as a new critcal smash for NBC. I'm going to really up the old quality on NBC and they're very supportive. You can catch me at Wednesday at...oh wait, you can't.

I'd think they're willing to give Sorkin a chance. Look at how well The West Wing turned out for them.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Rygar wrote:
    Well wikipedia has a good rundown on the ratings. They are holding steady at 9% which is just simply not enough.
    West Wing went, what, five years averaging a 6.7 share, lower than Studio 60's current 8.

The networks don't axe everything that isn't in the top 10; they'll keep it around as long as, like the West Wing, they feel it garners the network as a whole significant critical attention and attracts a more affluent viewer than average, as the West Wing did.

Senjutsu on