As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Battlescruisers: Basically the Drake and Hurricane. BS level tanks with slightly more than cruiser damage. Drakes are probably the most broken non-logistics ship in the game, and hurricanes are incredibly fun because they pop frigates in single volleys nbd.

I agree with most of what you said in this post, but your assessment of the Drake is a bit off. The reason the former is broken is because of the latter. Drakes are so strong because of Basilisks and Scimitars.

I don't know, it really depends on your definition of broken I guess. The Drake is just amazingly easy to train into and can fit a massive tank. While it's true that other similar ships in the game can't come close to that kind of tanking on the cheap, I don't see how shield fleets with scims and basilisks are any more or less broken than armor HAC gangs using guardians and exploiting sig radius to keep anything bigger than a frigate from hitting them, though I guess armor hac gangs are ludicrously more expensive to field.

And the Harbinger is a great little battle cruiser, just not so much for pve stuff in dek.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only problem with the Harbinger is the 7th turret

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just look though all the ships and pick the one that looks the coolest to you and train away. :)

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    TierwulfTierwulf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright Dominix flyable in an hour *sits in station for another 10 days getting more skills and working up the cash to buy one*

Tierwulf on
    Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Just look though all the ships and pick the one that looks the coolest to you and train away. :)

The Daredevil - if you've always wanted to RP as a rogue drone

Just Some Dude on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is an amazing screen shot:
    0_28052010071105TitanOverPLanet.jpg

The Leviathan against the huge planet gives you a great sense of scale and grandeur (a leviathan is supposed to be 10km long).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is an amazing shot, did you take it yourself? What's going on in that shot?

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hopefully I will have my Drake tomorrow and I can finish training for the good PvE shit. I got killed and lost a bunch of groovy stuff. Ah well.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    XOCentric wrote: »
    That is an amazing shot, did you take it yourself? What's going on in that shot?

Nah, wasn't me. It's a Leviathan surrounded by some carriers and dreads, just chillin'. How small the carriers and dread looks is a testament to how big Titans are. I don't think anything is really "going on" other than a photo op.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good screenshot. Could be better if the edges of the ships were anti-aliased.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    Hopefully I will have my Drake tomorrow and I can finish training for the good PvE shit. I got killed and lost a bunch of groovy stuff. Ah well.

Welcome to Eve, comrade.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    Cogliostro wrote: »

Welcome to Eve, comrade.

Do you love that new ship you've spent weeks training for? Get a woody for the modules that go pewpew? Act like they're already gone, because somewhere, somehow you -will- lose it.

... like I lost my first Drake before an hour had past.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    If your ship lasts long enough for the insurance policy to expire you are doing it wrong.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I must be doing it wrong so far. I've been at more danger from trying to salvage than from PVPing

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I registered...your free month go through yet GnomeTank?

Tierwulf on
    Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I made a dumb picture for you all. Hope you enjoy it.

canflip.jpg

Tierwulf on
    Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is a picture all right.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Pictures like that illustrate why we don't live in high sec.

Because high sec is dumb.

Just Some Dude on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tierwulf wrote: »
    I registered...your free month go through yet GnomeTank?

Lemme check.

e: Yep, thanks :)

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've been kinda bored waiting for my basic skills to train up. Maybe I'll go into lowsec and piss off some miners.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's the spirit.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You won't find much in low sec besides other pirates. There's always suicide ganking in high sec, though!

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked plating up an Iteron V with all the armor and armor reps I could and flipping cans in highsec with a second account in an assault frig in a fleet with the Iteron.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    This is an amazing screen shot:

The Leviathan against the huge planet gives you a great sense of scale and grandeur (a leviathan is supposed to be 10km long).

EVE, why do you have to be so beautiful now and yet still suck so much as a game?

Is that what all the planets look like now? Are the moons unique now too?

Any chance someone could post a low-moon-orbit-with-planet-in-background pic?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Unique-ish. I haven't looked at celestial bodies long enough to tell how different they are. I've been too busy looting wrecks and tackling fools.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    As a thought experiment, I wonder how different the game would be if everyone just played nice and didn't try to dick someone over at every opportunity, a galaxy where alliances worked together and shared resources and territory for the betterment of all.

Yeah, I know: that's just Commie talk. But one can always imagine.

delroland on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That sounds boring as shit.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    As a thought experiment, I wonder how different the game would be if everyone just played nice and didn't try to dick someone over at every opportunity, a galaxy where alliances worked together and shared resources and territory for the betterment of all.

Peace is only worthwhile when non self-inflicted suffering and death are actually possible.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    I liked plating up an Iteron V with all the armor and armor reps I could and flipping cans in highsec with a second account in an assault frig in a fleet with the Iteron.

Stuff like that is exactly why I never used cans when mining(not that I ever mined much anyways).

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    only a very stupid person puts a gun on a mining ship, and they are even dumber if they are a pubbie hi-sec miner that has a fit 'combat ship' those dudes have the silliest fits in the entire universe

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    OronisOronis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How does planet mining work now?

Can I do shit besides mine a rock for hours?

Oronis on
    CoX: @Robotjustice
    XLive: Oronis
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oronis wrote: »

the basic premise is you set up a base and have to grid shit together for maximum yield, then you set it to mine for 23 hours and then shoot the goods into space where you pick them up.

I hear its quite tedious

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have heard it's like mining in that it's push buttons for isk, but less tedious and requiring less constant attention.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oronis wrote: »

the basic premise is you set up a base and have to grid shit together for maximum yield, then you set it to mine for 23 hours and then shoot the goods into space where you pick them up.

I hear its quite tedious

Eh, I mean it's certainly not an action packed tour de force of mmo gaming, but once the initial set up is completed it's really a very low time investment per day kind of thing. The set up is a lot of button pushing, but then you just log in every day, reset your extractors, maybe run a job through a factory, pick up some finished product and haul it back to a station. It's like 10 minutes worth of work.

But of course CCP is trying to make it more labor intensive so you can't just set the extractors for 23 hour intervals and leave.

I've heard rumors that the Chinese server is exactly like this. There's a code of non agression throughout the entire server so people can mine in peace. Who knows how true that is though.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I would imagine the chinese server is probably similar to the main. There's no point in them all botting, since they can't sell isk to people on the main server.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    if that were true i would say lets infiltrate and fuck shit up

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Coming to a commie carebear haven near you: 王东巴特 !

hailthefish on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    only a very stupid person puts a gun on a mining ship, and they are even dumber if they are a pubbie hi-sec miner that has a fit 'combat ship' those dudes have the silliest fits in the entire universe

:(

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Peace is only worthwhile when non self-inflicted suffering and death are actually possible.

That's actually my point. You can pod that noob and take his cargo, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It would be a terribly boring game. EVE is only an interesting experience because of the dickery, warfare and politics.

GnomeTank on
This discussion has been closed.