Options

Some people are nice

redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfixRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
I found this video from memory in one try after like 10 years
I'm awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXe8PFKsOIc

Anyway, this is the anti-terrible story thread.
Because I want to believe that not everyone is awful and people all have the capacity for good.

Kinda like how Doctor Who ten rolls, or something

so, good stories, of nice, selfless people here, I guess?

redfenix on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, there was the time I got my car stuck over a sunken driveway
    And four high school students helped me push it out
    I really wish I had been able to reward them but I was late to pick up my wife from work

A few months ago I found an address book on the sidewalk
    Called the number inside and the guy seemed really happy to get it back
    Must have been pretty important

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    oh

earlier tonight I stopped to get some coffee

I go there like, at least once a day

they gave me a free coffee tonight

that was pretty cool

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All of my coworkers are constantly excellent to each other all the time.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    pretty sure james randi is a wizard and he hides it by being a world-famous skeptic

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My mom takes care of me when I'm sick. She is basically the best ever at everything.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Commit random acts of kindness. The least that will happen is that you feel good.

zerobeat18 2 weeks ago

Gatsby on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the people i've met through my regular summer job are on the whole so consistently sincere, open and just generally Good that it is basically literally incredible--i would never have believed a place like this existed if i hadn't lucked into being a part of it myself.

redhead on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    stuart-little-10-400x257.jpg

:?:

Wait, no. Darn it, me, you really made a mess out of that one.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    t dubh heh

redhead on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tonkka wrote: »

Are your coworkers the Wyld Stallions

redfenix on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    redfenix wrote: »

Are your coworkers the Wyld Stallions

No they are all Rufus.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just realized campion has a new link in his sig and now dozens of drawings are entering my eyeballs

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last week, I was taking a bus to get to work and hadn't had time to eat. An elderly lady came and sat down next to me. I was sleepy and had my head in my hands and she asked "Young man, are you all right?" I said I was fine, that I just hadn't had breakfast yet. She literally said "Well that won't do, here have this" and handed me half an omelet sandwich and insisted when I said that I was ok. It turned out to be one of the best omelet sandwiches I have ever had. She talked to me about college and work and admonished me to get up early enough to have a good breakfast before getting on her bus.

It was like being in the Andy Griffith show.

Tam on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My friends and I did a beach cleanup today, we got soaked and it was pretty miserable but we got a lot of trash

we went and got lunch at a place, had a good time.

Guy serving us asks what we're doing, we tell him that we went and picked up garbage on the beach

He comes back with free dessert for us, some awesome chocolate pudding type thing

That was pretty nice.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We all went down to visit my sister and brother in law and nephew today down in San Diego to see them and their new house

We were getting the tour and at the end my sister said "and here's the spare bedroom" and opened the door

Inside was a crib, with a little sign that said "A New One's On The Way"

It was a beautiful little teary eyed family moment.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My friends and I did a beach cleanup today, we got soaked and it was pretty miserable but we got a lot of trash

we went and got lunch at a place, had a good time.

Guy serving us asks what we're doing, we tell him that we went and picked up garbage on the beach

He comes back with free dessert for us, some awesome chocolate pudding type thing

That was pretty nice.

well, if you think about it so was doing a beach cleanup

DOUBLE NICE COMBO

Arch on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Once, our car broke down mid-traffic. The nicest homeless man was the only person who came to help up push it over to the gas station across the street. I was upset we didn't give him anything in return.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh and also we got coffee afterward and the girl at the drive-through window gave me 5 stamps on my stamp-card even though we only got 3 drinks. That owned.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I always try to hold a door open for people out of simple courtesy. I try to make sure I thank people when they've done something for me such as bag my groceries, open a door for me, let me go past them on the golf course because they are slow etc. I know they're just good manners but damn do I see a lot of people who can't do even that.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm the most well-mannered person you will ever meet. I will hold open all of the doors for you and thank you for letting me do it.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am the king of holding doors open, but I think that's just because I have long arms.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    holy shit that is one of the best clotheslines of all time

Ulises on
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The practice of calling one's elders "sir" or "ma'am" and holding doors open as a matter of course is one thing the south has going for it. If you're compelled to act nice often enough as a kid, you mean it by the time you're an adult.

I've been lucky in that I've never personally known any terrible people (outside of grades 7-8). I've run into some jerks, but I meet far, far more friendly people on any given day.

Most people are (mostly) good. Everyone has faults, but most are relatively minor. The few horrible people make a disproportionate mark on people's view of the world. It's unfortunate that that's how our brains work.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    redfenix wrote: »

When I was in school I used to be part of DoRAK (do random acts of kindness). One time we went out in our public diag and gave out free hugs.
    It was. insanely. difficult.
    I guess some people liked it, but most of the time it was a failure.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This morning an old lady held the door open for me as I entered the bank.

It was adorable.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    free hug people aren't kind, they're just mostly unsettling

and i am a very huggy dude

Ulises on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It was adorable.

What Tonkka isn't telling us is that they were on a date. We can already see who's going to wear the pants in that relationship.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tonkka,

I just want to say that you're rocking that sig

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited March 2011

It was adorable.

What Tonkka isn't telling us is that they were on a date. We can already see who's going to wear the pants in that relationship.

Well duh.

I don't wear pants.

Dubh: :^:

Tonkka on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Peas wrote: »

hero of the goddamn day

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hold doors open for people every time I'm out in public.

Some friends and I bought a homeless man food one night after the movies.

Was at Red Lobster with my family, and when we couldn't get trout and had to order salmon, the manager (and our waiter who was so extremely nice) gave us the salmon dishes for free, so we only had to pay 25 bucks (my plate + appetizer) instead of an otherwise 70 dollar+ bill. We paid the waiter a 20 dollar tip.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    Tonkka,

I just want to say that you're rocking that sig

I have to agree with you on that. That illustration almost needs a theme song by Hans Zimmer to go with it.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

hero of the goddamn day

I had a dream once where some dudes tried to jack my bike and my only defense was to hit them with my bike.

That was an awesome dream.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    if you replace "bike" with "dick"

:D

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moriveth wrote: »

hero of the goddamn day

I had a dream once where some dudes tried to jack my bike and my only defense was to hit them with my bike.

That is an amazing video.

I love that he walks towards them slowly, then when they get up runs the hell away.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moriveth wrote: »

hero of the goddamn day

"you can't steal my bike if it's lodged into your esophagus, can you, bitch?!"

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif