Options

Some people are nice

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I get sick of being polite at work. I had some very rude customers yesterday, one day I will snap.

Liiya on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Liiya wrote: »
    I get sick of being polite at work. I had some very rude customers yesterday, one day I will snap.

The red roses

started off white

*Psycho movie music*

Weaver on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Customers are often giant arses. Hang in there! Don't want to read about you getting jailed for murdering someone with a thorny stem

And that seemed a mite... excessive jippee, but who am I to talk

EDIT: Well well Weaver. It appears we both tried the "murder someone with a rose" approach. Guess now we have to duel

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    whenever i get a random smile or a quick hi from a complete stranger kinda makes my day and confirms my belief that people are inherently good. nothing in depth, just an affirmation that i'm part of society. those people are nice people

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Customers are often giant arses. Hang in there! Don't want to read about you getting jailed for murdering someone with a thorny stem

EDIT: Well well Weaver. It appears we both tried the "murder someone with a rose" approach. Guess now we have to duel

http://notalwaysright.com/this-refund-is-cut-and-dried/10827

Weaver on
  • Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm no longer in a retail business, but I am independent. It is amazing how rude it feels when people are not paying their bills. After having claimed that they were paying to get their designs just the way they wanted it, even though you had to adjust it a gazillion times because they actually had no idea what it should look like when they contacted you.

jippee on
    Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Hahaha

Liiya on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A homeless man once asked me for a pound. I asked him what it was for.

He told me he needed it for the car park pay and display and then gave me the 'don't be such a dumb fuck' face.

He got his pound.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tef wrote: »
    I think go with short hair, but that just might be me because i'm not a fan of any dude with long hair.
    That is very long hair. Mine wasn't quite that long.

I think you look much better with the short hair.

A lot of people seemed to agree with both of you when I finally gave in and got it cut back.

P.S. Liiya, still totally waiting for that flower shop address so I can be the creepiest creeper and buy flowers from you.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »

It was. But it's really hard to stay polite all the time when somebody just elbows his way through 3 people, with no regards of generally acknowledged courtesy.

jippee on
    trump trump trump

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jippee wrote: »

I'm no longer in a retail business, but I am independent. It is amazing how rude it feels when people are not paying their bills. After having claimed that they were paying to get their designs just the way they wanted it, even though you had to adjust it a gazillion times because they actually had no idea what it should look like when they contacted you.

Anybody who holds the notion that people are inherently good or whatever has clearly never worked in customer service. Hate to tell you that some people are just jerks.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »

Anybody who holds the notion that people are inherently good or whatever has clearly never worked in customer service. Hate to tell you that some people are just jerks.

I'd like to translate that to: People are generally okay, up to the point that they're going to have to pay you for something, whatever it is

jippee on
    trump trump trump

• Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's confirmation bias, though.

I'm glad I don't work in retail any more because of the jerks. But even then I realized they were a minority. Most customers were nice. Sure it only takes one jerk out of 50 people to ruin your day, but that doesn't change the the fact that most people didn't act entitled and abrasive.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    fuck you spring

I do not enjoy sneezing my head off first thing after breakfast

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Anosognos wrote: »

I'm glad I don't work in retail any more because of the jerks. But even then I realized they were a minority. Most customers were nice. Sure it only takes one jerk out of 50 people to ruin your day, but that doesn't change the the fact that most people didn't act entitled and abrasive.

Unfortunately I work in one of the busiest concourses of the busiest airports. I see hundreds if not a thousand people a day, and all of them are in a hurry, and everything is your fault.

I wish it was 1 in 50, what a nice number.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    fuck you spring

I do not enjoy sneezing my head off first thing after breakfast

I am getting all bleary-eyed again but I can't hate Spring. I get to look after the neighbour's rabbit!

...simple minds, simple pleasures

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    wait, what. are we blaming SEASONS now?

jippee on
    trump trump trump

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I think go with short hair, but that just might be me because i'm not a fan of any dude with long hair.

A lot of people seemed to agree with both of you when I finally gave in and got it cut back.

P.S. Liiya, still totally waiting for that flower shop address so I can be the creepiest creeper and buy flowers from you.

No. 1 Main Street, Florist Shop, Sometown, Yorkshire, England.

We had an old lady come into our shop, storm in and throw down a dead arrangement and say "And you can have THAT back!" and we were stunned, turns out it was an arrangement from three months ago which she was bringing back mid March because she was "disgusted" with it. It was too big, and "looked like a funeral spray".

It did not, her daughter had ordered an all-round table arrangement for £50 without a vase or anything, if it had been made small it would have looked under value, Useless Coworker had not taken any size of content details down. We don't send crap out. What it came down to was her daughter ordered her a table arrangement and that was not what she wanted.

Not all old people deserve respect.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

you understand how seasonal changes and plant biology work, right?

Weaver on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    People aren't nice. People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

That's weird, it won't show up on my GPS!

Oh well, I'm sure I can find it once I'm in the area.

After all.

I trust you.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Unfortunately I work in one of the busiest concourses of the busiest airports. I see hundreds if not a thousand people a day, and all of them are in a hurry, and everything is your fault.

But working in situations like airports will never get you work satisfaction. Every traveler=customer is wound up due to security/deadlines/flying in general.

jippee on
    trump trump trump

• Options
    edited March 2011

Yes, and I'm sorry you suffer from the effects.
    It's just that this forum can't help you with the fact that it happens.

jippee on
    trump trump trump

• Options
    edited March 2011

But working in situations like airports will never get you work satisfaction. Every traveler=customer is wound up due to security/deadlines/flying in general.

Which is weird, because no matter how frustrated I get in life I still manage to be polite to the people that get me my goods and services. I don't call people stupid, or ask to see their manager because my food took 10 minutes during a lunch rush, or comment on their appearance/uniform/whatever. I just say thank you and move on! It isn't actually hard, at all, to not call people names/cause a fuss over absolutely nothing.

I don't excuse them from their behavior because they're ~stressed and in a hurry~. Maybe if you're in a hurry you shouldn't be getting food that has to be prepared, or be an entire concourse away from your gate. And if that is the case it certainly isn't the employee's fault that you don't know how to prioritize your life as an adult.

So no, sorry, people still be jerks.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yes, and I'm sorry you suffer from the effects.
    It's just that this forum can't help you with [insert problem].

This ain't H&A

Weaver on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A man once asked me for directions to the cinema but I accidently gave him incorrect directions.

I was consumed with guilt so I tried to catch up with the man and correct him. It turned out that I'd actually gave him the correct directions and I caught up with him just as the cinema came into view at the end of the street. He noticed me and said "are you following me or something?"

I, too ashamed of the whole incident, decided to make up a lie. I told him that he reminded me that there was a film I wanted to see and so I decided to go and see it.

I thought he'd shrug it off and that'd be it but he was going to see the same film and he decided we should walk together the rest of the way. I then had to queue up with him and buy a ticket. I decided I should buy the seat next to him otherwise he would think I didn't want to next to him, which I didn't but I didn't want him to think it.

Just before we went in I went to the toilet and told him he should just go ahead and sit down. I waited a minute and just turned around and left the cinema. I'd wasted an hour of my life and £10 for the ticket and a bag of M&Ms, not to mention left some random man what happened to me for the rest of his life.
    I made this up
    Well, I wish I did.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

We had an old lady come into our shop, storm in and throw down a dead arrangement and say "And you can have THAT back!" and we were stunned, turns out it was an arrangement from three months ago which she was bringing back mid March because she was "disgusted" with it. It was too big, and "looked like a funeral spray".

It did not, her daughter had ordered an all-round table arrangement for £50 without a vase or anything, if it had been made small it would have looked under value, Useless Coworker had not taken any size of content details down. We don't send crap out. What it came down to was her daughter ordered her a table arrangement and that was not what she wanted.

Not all old people deserve respect.

I worked at a big electronics retailer once.

At the tech desk, a lumpy skinhead dropped his netbook on the counter and said "it don't work. Sort it."

Two minutes later we found out that the inbred moron didn't have the power adaptor plugged in properly.

And once a woman brought her laptop back because it was broken, and she "hated it and wanted rid of it and was sick of our incompetence".

She knew it was broken because the "copy" icon on her CD burning suite was faded out. The reason for this, we quickly deduced, was because she had no files selected to burn.

EDIT: ...anyway.

Going to dig up some nice customer stories to equal all this out. We are in the wrong thread for this!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man old people here are so FRIGHTENED of computers. This is going to make my future job at my own company easier, since they really don't want to do anything out of their comfort zone.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You ever get asked for directions, and after giving directions, forget where you were going?

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

That's weird, it won't show up on my GPS!

Oh well, I'm sure I can find it once I'm in the area.

After all.

I trust you.

I'm glad we have this trust!

BB if you really did that... wow.

@Ed: it seems wherever you go, people are daft.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bad-Beat, that's incredible.

I've been known to walk the wrong way down the street and head to a different shop than I'd intended simply because I was too self-conscious to turn around in the middle of a busy throng of pedestrians, but that... wow.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Never joke about exploding computers if an old person is nearby is all I'm saying.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    niktheniknikthenik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well I got two random acts of kindness of my own to share.

First one started on a rainy day. And by rainy I mean it poured down water like a fire hose from the sky. I decided instead of taking the bus I would drive to school (Okay I would have taken my car anyway because driving your own car to school is awesome).
    I parked at my ordinary spot and walked the remaing 200 meters to school. Halfway there I found something strange on the sidewalk. It looked like some kind of stuffed animal. And lo and behold it was a stuffed animal attached to a car key. Now I was torn. Should I take the key with me and deliver it to our school office? No chances were that even if the owner was a student it wouldn't necessary mean that he or she was attending my school because there are three schools in this big building. Should I call the police? It would make sense but somehow I got that feeling that it wasn't the best decision.
    It was still raining like hell and told myself screw to it, so I went back to the parking lot looking for the car. After 5 minutes or so I was soaking wet but I found the car. It was the one directly next to mine. Figuring that this wasn't really a place where cars get stolen like at all even less so in during this shitty rainstorm, I unlocked the car and placed the key on the driver seat.
    I pondered about leaving a note but I was already wet enough and I didn't want to soak this poor guys/girls car. I closed the door went to school and crossed my fingers that it wouldn't get stolen.
    Later as I walked back to the parking lot I saw the car pull out on the street. Maybe I imagined it, but the girl behind the wheel had a relieved look on her face.
    The next day the car stood in the same spot so I guess everything turned out okay and even though nobody ever knew what I did that day it was more than worth it.

tl;dr Found a car key during a rainstorm, brought it back, everyone was happy and none the wiser

The second story start after I fixed the computer of one of my mums friends. Even though this could count as an act of kindness itself (The other guy who tried to fix his computer left it nearly more broken and charged an outragous sum, while I fixed the guys screw up and the problem itself. For free - go team me).
    As I walked back from his apartment to my car I noticed an really old and nice lady having a hard time reaching her bus stop. I thought that this day was a good day to earn some karma points, so I crossed the street and asked her if she needed help.
    We spend the next 5 minutes or so walking about 50 meters to the bus stop all the while she kept talking how nice it was from me to help her and she didn't expect this kind of behavior from anyone. But I wasn't finished with my samatarian crusade yet. The bus she tried to catch was pulling away so I nearly jumped on the road flagged the bus down asked the driver friendly if he could wait a minute or so till I could bring the old lady over. He was kind enough to agree and I brought her to her bus that was blocking a busy road.
    She said she was terribly sorry that she hasn't got anything to give me but I said it was okay and she should just take of herself now without me.
    As I walked back I got my well deserved honks from overworked drivers and the occasional curse. But haters gonna hate.

tl;dr I helped an old lady catch her bus

nikthenik on
    fullmetalnik.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Aww, that is nice.

My heart is warmed.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Once I was unloading a van on the night shift. It was packed to capacity and it was just me and the driver, who was a really old guy who coughed a lot

Fortunately a guy in one of our warehouse jumpsuits was just coming out of McDonalds and rushed over to help us out. With his help we got all the stock in the security office in mere minutes.

"Thanks," I said. "You new to this shift?"

"Oh, no, I don't work here. I work at the Wilkinsons down the road."

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    nikthenik wrote: »
    tl;dr I helped an old lady catch her bus

Nik, my Nana once related a story like this to me! Your ilk are gentlemen and scholars and you have the gratitude of myself and my various ancient relatives

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was delivering papers once and found someones keys still in their door. So I knocked on the door to let them know.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh I got a people being nice tale.
    and it was last christmas.

I went to visit my mum and stephdad for christmas, but since I have 2 kittens, I don't stay over anymore.
    Unfortunately, I had a bit too much wine, and for the first time in my life, I fell asleep on the train home.
    I woke up in a darkened train. Nobody checked before closing time.
    So I wake up in an unilluminated train heading for nowhere, to be parked.
    I knock on the door of the engineer, and when he opens it, he knows he's in deep shit: He should have checked the carriages.
    So I go like, what's better, going to the end station and get a ride or get off asap and get a cab home?
    And he says get off asap.
    So I do.
    And there is not a taxi anywhere.
    But it happened to be christmas. And even if there was nothing going on, this couple walks up to me, asks me what the fuck i'm doing in the middle of nowhere, and I explain.

next thing I know, they get their van and take me home (a 50 minute drive one way), for petrol money.

I don't know what to believe, but I believe in something now.

jippee on
    trump trump trump

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh I remember when a guy I had a diabetic fit at a train station once. Luckily I'd done a paramedic's course, so I quickly dragged him away from the edge and let him finish fitting. I saw he had his diabetic bracelet on and some nice old lady had a little travel pack of honey in her purse do I fed that to him and we waited for an ambulance

His mum called me later that day to say thankyou, I felt really good.

Everyone should do some level of fist aid training! Do it!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i always try to hold doors, especially for older folks and ladies. it's polite!

Metzger Meister on