Options

Some people are nice

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that's sexist, you should especially hold it open for everybody.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i always try to hold doors, especially for older folks and ladies. it's polite!

And for the younger generation: It's not as if you have to make a physical effort: It's a door. Try to find a way to keep it open for ten more seconds.

jippee on
    Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh yeah, if there's a bunch of people I'll hold the door for goddamn everyone. Until there are no more people trying to get in wherever I am getting into.

edit: actually now that i think about it i hold the door for everyone. but i make it a point to hold the door for ladies and old people.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i used to be really good at being nice

then i got jobs in customer service

now i hate people

Beasteh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On the other hand:
    Doors are nasty.
    Closing on people all the time.

jippee on
    trump trump trump

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh yeah, if there's a bunch of people I'll hold the door for goddamn everyone. Until there are no more people trying to get in wherever I am getting into.

edit: actually now that i think about it i hold the door for everyone. but i make it a point to hold the door for ladies and old people.

that's sexist, you should make it a point to hold the door open for everybody.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I only hold the door open for Campion

Everyone else... forget it!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    that's more like it

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    Anybody who holds the notion that people are inherently good or whatever has clearly never worked in customer service. Hate to tell you that some people are just jerks.

I work customer service, and still think people are (for the most part) good! Those types of jobs do get very frustrating, though, even if most customers are very polite. The jerks do tend to stand out. My theory is that people are rude to customer service employees because the "customer/employee" relationship is such a weird one. Both sides aren't acting as they normally would (the employees have rules to follow given by the company and often have little control over what customers might be angry about, and the customers have to request things they would normally never request from a person while still trying to be polite). Seems like some people react to that social confusion by getting angry and self-righteous.

At least, that's what I tell myself after a particularly rude customer comes in!

You do get the worst of both worlds though, Sara. People get kind of nutso about their food, and they get even crazier when they're on a tight schedule.

Story time, though! A month or two back while I was walking through town, a lady's car broke down in the middle of an intersection. It was night, and it was starting to rain, and it was rush hour. There was some construction going on nearby, and one of the workers saw it happen. He got a few of his coworkers together, and they dropped what they were doing and ran to her. One of them stopped traffic while the others helped her put her car in neutral and push it into a nearby gas station. I thought that was very nice of them!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's like they teach you in the army.

Are you the first in a line of people heading towards a door? Then you open it and keep it open until everyone else is inside/outside.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so this one time I pooped on a guy

what can I say, I'm a giver

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was at a set of traffic lights when a car pulled up next to my car. The driver was on his phone (illegal here) I wound down my window and told him he shouldn't do that. He told me to fuck off. I thought he was trying to have some friendly banter so I told him to fuck off. As the lights turned green he didn't look happy and he started to follow me really close to my bumper. I didn't want to go home with him following me so I had to drive around until he got bored.

This lasted for 45 minutes.

I only went out for some milk.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Are you the first in a line of people heading towards a door? Then you open it and keep it open until everyone else is inside/outside.

I've never been in an army.
    I've been raised to be a decent human being.
    I'm also aware that even though it's dissapointing, that being a decent human being is not the general standard.

it pains me.

jippee on
    trump trump trump

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hahaha

Bad-Beat you must spend half your life avoiding strangers.

Liiya on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I was at a set of traffic lights when a car pulled up next to my car. The driver was on his phone (illegal here) I wound down my window and told him he shouldn't do that. He told me to fuck off. I thought he was trying to have some friendly banter so I told him to fuck off. As the lights turned green he didn't look happy and he started to follow me really close to my bumper. I didn't want to go home with him following me so I had to drive around until he got bored.

the correct answer was to drive at 10, maybe 20 under.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jippee wrote: »

I've never been in an army.
    I've been raised to be a decent human being.
    I'm also aware that even though it's dissapointing, that being a decent human being is not the general standard.

it pains me.

It was a habit for me before my (brief) stay in the army, but still I'm sure it drills it into some people.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    when I was working at the bookstore this one little filipino lady made me keep her change (it was $2) because I had a nice conversation with her and let her have some boxes.

also when I was 14 or so I was taking a train somewhere by myself and had never taken one before. I was extremely paranoid I would miss it and have to buy another expensive ticket (and I didn't have enough money for it) so I was wandering around the platforms looking terrified. The conductor of a train saw me and came down to the platform to ask what was wrong/if I was okay, and told me when my train would be coming and what platform I needed to be on. it doesn't sound like much but it was very kind of him!

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bad-Beat if we ever meet we're liable to cause some sort of awkward nasty stranger singularity

The solution is for us both to get very drunk within moments of meeting.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Bad-Beat if we ever meet we're liable to cause some sort of awkward nasty stranger singularity

The solution is for us both to get very drunk within moments of meeting.

I'm a recovering alcoholic, you jerk.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Generally what I see here is holding it enough for the guy behind you to get it and hold it a little for the guy behind them etc.

It's teamwork!

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh I'm sorry

The solution is for us both to get very drunk within moments of meeting and I buy your drinks.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Oh I'm sorry

The solution is for us both to get very drunk within moments of meeting and I buy your drinks.

I'm not a recovering alcoholic, btw. Just wanted to show how quickly it can get awkward.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

i seriously love this story

redhead on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did he get off the phone while driving inches behind you?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Did he get off the phone while driving inches behind you?

He probably just changed the topic of his discussion

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Manipulate social instincts. Hold the door open for one person, go on, and watch from afar as several people do the same thing.

MKR on
  • Options
    queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bad-beat your stories are just so british

queuewindow on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bad-Beat, are you secretly George Costanza from Seinfeld?

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    all of the people who work at this local coffee place are super nice and some sort of wonderful

i get free coffee sometimes

it might be because i'm there all of the time

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    bad-beat your stories are just so british

When I was in a hostel in Los Angeles a canadian man thought I was Australian and he was so happy because he'd never met one before. I decided to play along and pretended by telling him the last month's storylines from the Australian soap 'Neighbours'.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps drive to a police station. And if you didn't know where one was, you could have got out your phone and-

Oh, no.

You've become the thing you hate.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You should be a sitcom.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I had an American think I was Irish when I spoke over ventrillo once, I wish I had played along now and just told them what happens in Father Ted was my life.

Liiya on
  • Options
    queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bad-beat i imagine you sound 100% dead-pan or slightly flustered all the time is this true

queuewindow on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Liiya wrote: »
    I had an American think I was Irish when I spoke over ventrillo once, I wish I had played along now and just told them what happens in Father Ted was my life.

But you're from up north. You practically do the same things anyway. Hard drinking, swearing and tea addiction.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been called American, British and Irish. People are awful at accents.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    bad-beat i imagine you sound 100% dead-pan or slightly flustered all the time is this true

...yes.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Liiya wrote: »

But you're from up north. You practically do the same things anyway. Hard drinking, swearing and tea addiction.

This is true!

Wiet you accent is very hard to place though, only when you speak quickly does the Dutch appear.

Liiya on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The moral of Bab-Beat's and Liiya's stories is that british people lie.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I imagine Bad-Beat is an MI5 operative

I mean sounds like an M15 operative. Sounds like.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png