As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If I remember right, the party banter mod for BG1 was actually pretty decent for a fan project. Going back to BG1 is weird in a number of ways, one of which was the lack of inter-party dialogue.

I ended up romancing... The priestess you find in Nashkel, I believe. Or was it Beregost? Wherever the fair was, really.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Going to bet that this is going to be based on D&D Next mechanics.

Why?

Because it doesn't make any sense to make a 4e game after they've already announced they're making a new version of the game.

Which means it's probably well over a year away yet.

Also I bet all of the modular, optional rules of D&D Next will be something akin to DLC.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Hm, are these available on Steam?

They're on GOG, with no DRM, IIRC.

I don't know what these words mean.

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Baldur's Gate was my first RPG. I rode that game game to death, then resurrected it with mods and got back in the saddle.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    gog.com is a game sale place

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    GOG = Good Old Games, www.gog.com

DRM = stupid stuff

IIRC - if I recall correctly (he does)

Yes, gog.com is the best place to get the BG series from

• Options

Good Old Games is a site that offers classic PC games with no Digital Rights Management. It's a rad site.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

it's cool, most of them aren't words.

Janson's got your back.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ugh. I could never complete the first one and so I never got into the second one. I fail at life. Now I'll never get whatever they're producing because I'll have to force myself to do #1.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    You folks are wonderful.

Especially Janson. :inappropriate winky:

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    My dream scenario for this: Arcanum sequel. Just wanna rol up in that world again

Yes, hello. This is what I want as well.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ugh. I could never complete the first one and so I never got into the second one. I fail at life. Now I'll never get whatever they're producing because I'll have to force myself to do #1.

Could always just wiki the plot from the first one and jump right into the second one. I think they give you a quick run-down of BG1's plot at hte beginning of BG2 anyway.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    You could skip straight to BG2. It is the superior game, and yes, you miss out on a bit of background, but you can easily catch up

Probably the best thing about BG2 is the gameplay is a little more streamlined... BG1 does have the tendency to just throw you into the middle of nowhere (the first time I played through BG1, I missed SO many areas and side-quests.) It's also a tough game in the early levels!
    You folks are wonderful.

PM me your email address :wink:

Janson on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Early BG1 fights are... painful.

Especially as a mage with 3HP.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    I love Baldur's Gate. When I read the thread title I can hear the voice in my head super clearly.

• Options
    Also BG1 you are a level 1 character. In AD&D. If you are a wizard or something similar, it's not that fun.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Junpei wrote: »
    I love Baldur's Gate. When I read the thread title I can hear the voice in my head super clearly.

go away Imoen god

Brolo on
  • Options
    Yeah, BG1 is tough no matter how you roll

Fortunately it's one game where I don't mind dying a lot...

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    You folks are wonderful.

PM me your email address :wink:

Is this like "Send Keith a Message" cause...oh man, oh man, oh man!

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »

BG1, yes. Yes they were. BG2 however threw some serious bullfuck your way mid/late game.

I did a lot of "Open door -> Space to pause" in that series.

• Options
    I like defeating as many of the liches and dragons as possible before going to the Underdark

even with a pretty powerful party this requires some careful planning and a lot of luck

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Meiz wrote: »

BG1, yes. Yes they were. BG2 however threw some serious bullfuck your way mid/late game.

I did a lot of "Open door -> Space to pause" in that series.

Pretty sure this was standard behaviour all round.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Also BG1 you are a level 1 character. In AD&D. If you are a wizard or something similar, it's not that fun.

Part of starting a new BG1 character for me always involved killing that one wizard who hangs out by the fireplace in the inn at Candlekeep - if you run up the stairs every time he starts casting a spell, it'll fizzle. Then once he runs out you can kite him around the coffee table plinking him with sling bullets until he dies. He gives you enough XP to hit level 2 all by himself, you only lose (i think) 4 reputation points, and for some reason nobody else in Candlekeep gets mad at you for doing it.

• Options
    You're just a mage with one magic missile and a stick, trying to whack away at a grizzly bear. You cast the magic missile. It does 2 damage. The bear is "barely injured".

You have a 1 in 20 chance of hitting the bear. If the grizzly bear touches you once you explode into a bloody, chunky mess.

• Options
    Even with a full party in BG1, the combat was all about ranged attacks. Everyone gets a bow or sling - it was a big changeover for me in BG2 when melee combat became effective.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I need to get BG2, because I did not enjoy BG1 because the starting area is a bigger pain in my balls than my actual chronic testicular pain

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    I need to get BG2, because I did not enjoy BG1 because the starting area is a bigger pain in my balls than my actual chronic testicular pain

make sure to get dungeon-be-gone, the mod that lets you skip the first dungeon in BG2

• Options
    I actually quite like the first BG2 dungeon! It's really not that long, all told.

• Options
    Even with a full party in BG1, the combat was all about ranged attacks. Everyone gets a bow or sling - it was a big changeover for me in BG2 when melee combat became effective.

yeah by the time you have at least four people or so, it's composite bows all the way

heck even with two people you could kite most monsters pretty effectively

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    while this is potentially fantastic news, i can't help but laugh

• Options

yeah by the time you have at least four people or so, it's composite bows all the way

heck even with two people you could kite most monsters pretty effectively

I think the only time I used melee was when my main character fighter got hold of the Boots of Speed and Drizzt's swords.

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Black dragon is the one that gave me the most problems in BG2.

Not like those sissy things in Skyrim.

• Options
    The special weapons in BG2 are just awesome, and a big reason of why I can never play anything but a fighter (the other is the keep!)

I max out dual-wielding, hammer and flail and then have the Crom Faeyr in one hand and the Flail of the Ages in the other.

Pretty much takes care of everything

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    When I bought the complete Baldur's Gate 2, the main game was english but Throne of Bhaal was in Spanish.

It was weird.

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    the opening dungeon isn't all that egregious, it just isn't very interersting

no choice in party members, no ability to shop, limited equipment and spells, only one way to go through it

plus you gotta do that shit for every single character you make, which tends to be a lot

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks to a certain someone I am now in possession of both BG1&2 and am paying attention to the tips and tricks being mentioned here.

Basically because I don't want to become Bear Chow(R).

• Options
    did anyone here ever try the official-esque ascension mod?

because the final boss battle of ToB with that on is the most satisfying gameplay I've ever experienced

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    The special weapons in BG2 are just awesome, and a big reason of why I can never play anything but a fighter (the other is the keep!)

I max out dual-wielding, hammer and flail and then have the Crom Faeyr in one hand and the Flail of the Ages in the other.

Pretty much takes care of everything

I always had a thing for dual wielding swords.

Celestial Fury 4 lyfe

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I still have the BG2 full set discs sitting right there on my desk. I have the urge to reinstall it now.