As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't know how lucky you are, back in the NCR [Fallout thread]

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I did it Honest Hearts, Old World Blues (due to scaling), Dead Money and now Road.

Old World Blues/Dead Money work well together. Play OWB first and it foreshadows DM. Play DM first and a lot of questions are answered in OWB.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Old World Blues makes a mention of there only being one road left to walk, if that matters.

Nocren wrote: »
    Also, wondering if my female courier should go energy or explosives...

I want to do both. They're a nice couple.

Edit: What's your favourite flavour of Sonic Emitter?
    Since the damage can be decent but not super impressive, I prefer Gabriel and Opera for versatility, but Robo-Scorpion is neat.

PLA on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Is there an ideal time to do them? Like, would Lonesome Road be best, from a narrative perspective, after you get to New Vegas?

Thanks for the order, now I just need to figure out the when.

(I'm picky when it comes to narrative. I always to The Arrival last in ME2, can't help it.)

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So, there a patch or something that fixes the Courier Stash items? Or were they fixed already?

Last I heard the Merc Explosive rifle wasn't flagged for explosive-based perks.

I like both builds but explosives is probably my favorite of the two.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    HH fits anywhere, it covers stuff from the main game and doesn't really have any connections to the other 3 DLC's so much (it does have some Courier stuff, so I suppose it partially has ties to Lonesome Road), so it can be done any time. IIRC it is tuned pretty low, so you can do it really really early.

As others have said, the 'proper' order aside from that is DM > OWB > LR

For me, Lonesome Road was the "actual" ending of NV because it closed the only main story parts of NV that I actually cared about, and I felt like it did that well. Others did not care for the narrative part of LR, so YMMV.

When you Dead Money, I hope you either have Light Step (I think that's its name) or you really enjoy watching for and disarming traps. It has the best characters in the entire game, which is its saving grace.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Thanks Dude. Can I do LR after the main game, or does it end there still? I know before, once you compete the main story, the game ends.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Thanks Dude. Can I do LR after the main game, or does it end there still? I know before, once you compete the main story, the game ends.

Still true after. The ending is the ending.

• Options
    It still has to be done before the ending of the main game; as you said you can't keep playing after you complete it. But the game gives you a huge blaring warning "if you continue past this point there is no going back" so that you can set a save point there to do whatever you want before carrying on with the finale.

You said you played at release so I'll assume you know where the main break points are for both the ending and all the faction final lines.

Just another tip, if you're concerned about narrative.

Dead Money makes more sense after you've done HELIOS and Veronica's quests. There's a lot of tie ins to both from her and from Holotapes you can find during the HELIOS stuff.

OWB doesn't have many direct ties so much to the main game, outside of a few mentions of it now and then; but nothing as overt; however it does have big leadins to it in Dead Money. You can technically do OWB first and consider the ties in it as 'leadins' to DM, but I think it makes less sense.

LR definitely comes after everything else. Also, while you can do it at pretty much any point in the main games story; it will have different options/rewards at the very end depending on what faction you are aligned with in the main game, so keep that in mind. You can still go other directions despite this, just like with most everything in the game, but it still changes your situation and IIRC can actually hurt you in the main game if you 'betray' your favored faction, potentially. So just keep that in mind.

• Options
    Sweet, big thanks guys. Much appreciated. Thanks for dealing with my story OCD.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    So, there a patch or something that fixes the Courier Stash items? Or were they fixed already?

Last I heard the Merc Explosive rifle wasn't flagged for explosive-based perks.

I like both builds but explosives is probably my favorite of the two.

Explosives is the most fun build.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Nah, Lonesome Road comes somewhere when the Courier has grown attached to the Mojave and has a plan, or uncrystalised idea. Ulysses
    can stick around and talk about bits of your progress after that.

Edit: By the way, Veronica is sort of tied to Dead Money.

PLA on
  • Options
    He'll say all those things regardless of when you do them.
    You can just go through his dialogue to have him say it about things you've done

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    Excellent OP

Promo Video for the Fallout Fan Movie "Fallout: Lanius"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ym1EZpCsUE

A promo video for a short fan film? That's awfully pretentious.

How is it pretentious to promote a project you're working on? It looks like a good amount of effort is going into this, and I know I would be pissed if I made something and it got lost in the shuffle because no one knew about it.

Fake Edit: Ah, it also looks like they're looking for monetary support as well.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    He'll say all those things regardless of when you do them.
    You can just go through his dialogue to have him say it about things you've done

Yeah, but it works just fine before you've done everything.
    Doesn't he keep giving you junk for visiting, anyway?

PLA on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Spoiler for huge:
    aygEi.jpg

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Spoiler for huge:
    aygEi.jpg

Very cool.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    edited August 2012
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Spoiler for huge:
    aygEi.jpg

Where is Bill the tax collector?
    I know exactly where he is.

PLA on
  • Options
    So, since more radio is always welcome, I found this:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/47577/#content

It's a drop-in esp mod that adds 8 new stations, 6 playing vintage shows, 1 that does commercials and that plays french accordion music hosted by a drunken robot.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ^ Any Three Dog?

• Options
    Unless they managed to track down the VA, I doubt it. (Having issues with my ISP cutting out during download)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    How much dumber can you become with consumables? How much Int can you normally have and still force idiot-dialogue?

• Options
    Well... with Active alcohol and Mentat withdrawl, I think you can get pretty low...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Most addictions stack, too, right?

Edit: Oh, wow. Dixon's whiskey with 100 Survival provides a handy -6 Int.

PLA on
  • Options
    Wait, does NV have idiot dialogue? Throughout the game?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    More so than Fallout 3. There should be snippets on youtube or whatever.

Edit:

PLA on
  • Options
    Nice. I seem to recall people talking about special low INT dialogue for OWB too.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Nice. I seem to recall people talking about special low INT dialogue for OWB too.
    The low INT dialogue for OWB is pretty amazing.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I dunno if I could bring myself to do a low int playthrough though because zomg skill points.

I'd have to do the maths and see if you could still get enough skill points to cap everything with low int from perks/books. It'd probably require taking some +skill perks whereas before they were pretty avoidable. Abusing the +5 perk trait bug (that I assume was never fixed) would definitely be required.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Man, at that point you might as well just use the console for the points

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i usually set starting INT at four, which i believe is just above the dumb threshold (though it gets bumped up to five once i pick up the implant)

it is sufficient

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I dunno if I could bring myself to do a low int playthrough though because zomg skill points.

I'd have to do the maths and see if you could still get enough skill points to cap everything with low int from perks/books. It'd probably require taking some +skill perks whereas before they were pretty avoidable. Abusing the +5 perk trait bug (that I assume was never fixed) would definitely be required.

Take Skilled on creation. A cool 65 skill-points, you're welcome. Now leave Goodsprings and choose a new Trait. Make it Skilled. Yes, that's what I said. In Old World Blues, your big, final reward is the chance to remove early Traits for something more fun. Or Skilled again, if you're still not satisfied.

See, Skilled dumps a bunch of points into your real scores, and there's nothing in it to remove an equivalent amount when it disappears. Ontological inertia.

PLA on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh I know, that's what I was referring to with the +5 perk trait bug. I meant skill. +10 skill points across the board is nice. For an xp nerf? whooopdedo. XP is the most trivial thing.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I somehow missed that you said "trait", so I didn't catch the "perk/skill" thing either.

I think I prefer Comprehension over Educated. Yes, Educated is more reliable for putting points exactly where you need them, but double magazine-effect is neat.

There have been people for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas who think that Here And Now is a good perk. I've never truly understood what their mindset is. I can make guesses, but it's always a dismissive handwave. I can't imagine what it's actually like.

Edit: Is there a good way to make the perk Atomic! less situational? I was thinking you could lead with a mini-nuke or something before running in, but what would you use it against after a mini-nuke had already been there? You could eat radioactive food with a duration, but that's not much of a duration. Three seconds per Coyote steak.

PLA on
  • Options
    So, how are some of these unofficial expansion mods? I've noticed a couple on Nexus talking about Boulder/Denver.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Just finished Lonesome Road.

First time it wound up with me falling off the ledge during during the fight.

On the reload
    I managed to say something different and convinced Ulyssess to fight side by side against a torrent of Marked Men. Then ED-E sacrificed himself to save Vegas.

Now to finish out the endgame.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I've been on a bit of a fallout kick lately.

Finished Dead Money, which was interesting (if a bit frustrating at times), and was wondering: which of the other DLCs should I get?

101 on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    I've been on a bit of a fallout kick lately.

Finished Dead Money, which was interesting (if a bit frustrating at times), and was wondering: which of the other DLCs should I get?

All of em' :)

But, for now grab at least Old World Blues.

• Options
    I maintain that Old World Blues is the best DLC.

I'm not even talking about Fallout. Old World Blues is just the best DLC.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Better than Shadow Broker? It's hard to choose between the two.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Ok OWB is amazing.

Heck it's amazing for the new radio station alone, but it's just fantastically weird